IGNORED

Would You Post If You Couldn't Hide Behind A Pseudonym?

Jesus

Do employers really look on football forums? Social media, yes, but I doubt for example employers scan OTIB for background checks before hiring. It's only football opinions. (unless you regularly post in the non-football chat sections). Correct me if I'm wrong

They won't arrive on Otib through choice. If they search your name and Otib comes up in the results they'll arrive that way.

They won't arrive on Otib through choice. If they search your name and Otib comes up in the results they'll arrive that way.

Good point. I would be surprised if an employer had any interest in mine and yours opinions of Bristol City though! More likely to look through social media which most people have nowadays

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-30854477- A blog devoted towards exposing "racists" on Facebook to their employers. A rare case but a reminder of our current relationship with the internet. As an extension in which we can communicate and network, its obvious that the internet would benefit from people being forced to act with the same degree of respect and humility they do in real life. But at the same time it is a vehicle for creativity and escapism from reality, afforded from the ability to be anonymous. Both are just as important as each other and with the way things are going, one may be sacrificed if people don't start behaving more responsible.

A post in the David Lloyd statement got me thinking about this forum, and the way good debates seem to spiral into abuse and bullying over a simple difference of opinion. 99% of the time, if you met a total stranger, lets say in the pub, would and you debated something City related, then you probably would have a decent discussion about the matter. I'm sure you wouldn't give them any abuse, call them clueless etc etc.

So why do we do this on a forum? For me its simple, people hide behind their pseudonyms, as they know they can pretend to be something they aren't. They can abuse without having to take any "real world" consequences. Its another world.

So, my question is, do you think that this forum would actually be a better, more productive debating ground, if people had to use their genuine name, and maybe their season ticket number, membership number or even seat number and location?

Absolutely no hiding. Would you still post? Why people feel the need to hide who they are?

I like the idea of being able to criticise staff without the fear of a mob singling me out because it's not in line with their agenda. But i also like the idea of having a fully identifiable forum where people make themselves known.

Admittedly I've not seen the abuse DL refers to in his goodbye thread but if he has been abused that's out if order, the mans doing his job. Removing anonymity would certainly separate the men from the boys.

Anyway OP I think you've hit on a niche and could get some interest in a non-anonymous forum. I also think it would be ace if those who went to the game could proove it when posting. As at the moment I take everyone's comments on player performances with a pinch of salt.

I'm called Dolly/Dolls in real life though. It's a nickname I got as a kid, and my family still call me it.

Most of the friends I've made on here/social media also call me it. I get freaked out when football people call me Marie. Dolls is my football name. (If that makes sense)

Plus my picture is over there <------ if anyone still isn't sure what I look like.

There a couple of really close mates who read / go on here that guessed me straight away from my CBR name and they know who they are :)

As a relative new person obviously majority wouldn't know me from Adam but hey I still wouldn't advertise the real CBR on here no chance.

I know you're not Adam because you could n't be commentating on RB and posting at the same time .

My name is not Harry, but it is a nickname I've had since I was 12.

Lots of people at the ground know me as Harry.

Anything I say on here I would say in person and have done.

I've met Dave Lloyd before on numerous occasions and introduced myself as Harry.

I've argued for hours and hours with posters on here whom I didn't know, whom I later met in person and whom I would now call a good mate (particular reference to the much vaunted NickJ).

I've no issue with forum anonymity, but I have no issue with people knowing who I am. I'll say what I want and will happily back it up in person.

I post under my own name. Always have done , always will do this keeps my conciounce clear! I find it ironic that bar bs 3 says that nobody should be allowed on the forum while posting under a alias while continuing to use a alias himself

Hardly an alias mate, it was my address for several years!

Many people on here know me from my time running local pubs around Ashton Gate or from being at matches.

If it makes you happy then I shall clarify that my name is Rob and my season ticket is in Dolman, block B, Row N.

More than happy to say what I think to anyone's face old boy, I have never had reason to hide behind a keyboard !

Glad he's gone will you follow soon

Fair enough, personally I wouldn't be rude to someone like that - who clearly loves the same club I do - whether I agreed with their opinions or not.

And no, I'm not going - even if people call me nasty names  :sad26:

Further to my last post, here's a cautionary tale.........

If you view my post history you'll see 99% of my posts are, brief, throw away comments - Some relevant, some humerous and some insulting.  All a brief distraction of no consequence. 

During the Ashton Vale fiasco in a thread about the Nimbys joke suggestions such as deploying snipers, land mines and bamboo pits were suggested.  The context was clear as day.  However, the posts were reported to the police and investigated.  The local media also showed screen grabs of the posts.

It's easy to take things out of context, especially if it suits an agenda.  You wouldn't want to have your name plastered all over the local news.

If you view my post history you'll see 99% of my posts are, brief, throw away comments - Some relevant, some humerous and some insulting.  All a brief distraction of no consequence. 

During the Ashton Vale fiasco in a thread about the Nimbys joke suggestions such as deploying snipers, land mines and bamboo pits were suggested.  The context was clear as day.  However, the posts were reported to the police and investigated.  The local media also showed screen grabs of the posts.

It's easy to take things out of context, especially if it suits an agenda.  You wouldn't want to have your name plastered all over the local news.

Indeed - not to mention that there are some nut jobs on the internet.

I remember that guy who hated Baldock - Carbonara or something - actually suggested that I should "watch my back" at games due to our differences in opinion on the matter. Not that it scared me in the slightest - but you never know the mindset of people who are sat behind a keyboard. 

In principle I have no problem with full disclosure - indeed there are forums where you are obliged to post under your real name - but it's not without it's risks, and that's even if you're a sensible poster who doesn't hurl personal abuse in every direction.

This forum isn't unique in this respect. It is pretty much how internet forums work the world over.

The Supporters Club & Trust have had this debate with club officials and the owner over the years. On balance, OTIB has stood the test of time. As posted in the Dave L leaving OTIB thread, this forum is moderated, attracts advertising and contra deals, and has over 12,500 registered uses plus countless guests. It's not perfect, however, it is a communication channel. A bit like politicians not admitting to taking notice of opinion polls in the run up to an election, club officials cannot resist a sneaky peek at it.

My name is Stu and I Chair the Club & Trust. Part of what I voluntarily signed up for is to be quoted in the press occasionally, so it follows that people will know who I am. My mantra in life is that I would never post anything online or directly in an email that I wouldn't be prepared to say to someone's face. If anyone from the football club is having a sneaky peek, feel free to pull me up on this if you think it isn't true.

In the early days of the Supporters Trust forming I got untold abuse, as did other board members. Looking back on it, it wasn't so much personal abuse but what it was I was representing (or the fear of what it might be or become). Whilst I am not belittling David Lloyd's feelings on this issue, I wonder if most of the push back he received were more around what the role itself of Fans Liaison has become and the challenge of conveying difficult messages. In fact, he has become the only person doing that on behalf of the football club/Bristol Sport.

He works for Bristol sport!

No, seriously understand Fordy, I've got to be very careful what I put on other social media as work are always watching

It's not so much work, although they certainly can (and have) dismiss/discipline people for social media related activity.

It's more the violent extremists that worry me. I understand that the chances of them targeting little old Fordy are minuscule, but I'd rather that had access to very little information about me.

Not my real name, but only because I don't like my name. I quite like being RedM instead, or M or Em that some people call me. I've got nothing to hide and would be happy to provide full name and address etc if ever it was needed.

As a mod we do get a fair amount of abuse from time to time, threatened and was asked out for a fight once on here by somebody (who are long gone) and just last week called a Nazi. So naturally I wouldn't want those people confronting me in person.

A post in the David Lloyd statement got me thinking about this forum, and the way good debates seem to spiral into abuse and bullying over a simple difference of opinion.  99% of the time, if you met a total stranger, lets say in the pub, would and you debated something City related, then you probably would have a decent discussion about the matter.  I'm sure you wouldn't give them any abuse, call them clueless etc etc.  

So why do we do this on a forum? For me its simple, people hide behind their pseudonyms, as they know they can pretend to be something they aren't.  They can abuse without having to take any "real world" consequences.  Its another world. 

So, my question is, do you think that this forum would actually be a better, more productive debating ground, if people had to use their genuine name, and maybe their season ticket number, membership number or even seat number and location? 

Absolutely no hiding.  Would you still post? Why people feel the need to hide who they are? 

Bit of an ironic post for someone who has consistently had a pop at people over the years. :fear:

Most forum users who I have had heated discussions with know who I am.  About 10 years ago I had an argument in the Williams stand toilets that stemmed from a thread on here. :facepalm:

Bit of an ironic post for someone who has consistently had a pop at people over the years. :fear:

Most forum users who I have had heated discussions with know who I am.  About 10 years ago I had an argument in the Williams stand toilets that stemmed from a thread on here. :facepalm:

I know you, but not from an argument :thumbsup:

Check my 'friends' list and figure it out.

Stop blaming the suits!

Archived