IGNORED

Pre Match Q&a

Bristol Rob

Don't want to steal your thunder Blagdon your summary will be more comprehensive, but:

My understanding - confirmed by Thatcham Red immediately before the meeting - was the Q&A was with Andrew Billingham, and that was the basis on which I attended, as I wanted to hear what he had to say.

AB was accompanied by David Lloyd and the meeting commenced with AB making a statement that Bristol City is a strong "brand" and Bristol Sport has to "grow the business". A predictable but nevertheless poor start which did not augur well for a meeting designed to introduce AB to a certain type of Bristol City fans culture, I felt.

My one and only question was to be, given that, if I wanted to fly a flag out of my house with the word "Ultras", or in my car, or take it on a political rally, I could do so legally and probably without comment let alone any interest from members of the public, so why would this flag and the word "Ultras" suddenly become so offensive inside of Ashton Gate football stadium.

However my thunder was stolen somewhat as the first question concerned flags etc particularly the Ultras Flag. A response - by DL rather than by AB - was followed up by a challenge by the questioner of DL's position; that topic was ended with a comment by DL that he was not prepared to talk about flags any longer. AB was not asked by DL if he would like to talk about flags.

I couldn't hear most of the rest due to a combination of poor microphone technique on the part of questioners, and background chat in the Lions, but I can nevertheless summarise the rest with two pertinent questions which my daughter asked me, neither of which did I know the answer to:

Question 1

I thought this Bristol Sport chap was here to answer the questions so why are they all being answered by that Fans Liaison Officer?

Question 2

If this is a Q&A meeting, why is Fans Liaison Officer's reply to most questions, "I cannot answer that here and now, but come and see me and we can have a chat about it", I thought this was the meeting to answer questions?

Don't want to steal your thunder Blagdon your summary will be more comprehensive, but:

My understanding - confirmed by Thatcham Red immediately before the meeting - was the Q&A was with Andrew Billingham, and that was the basis on which I attended, as I wanted to hear what he had to say.

AB was accompanied by David Lloyd and the meeting commenced with AB making a statement that Bristol City is a strong "brand" and Bristol Sport has to "grow the business". A predictable but nevertheless poor start which did not augur well for a meeting designed to introduce AB to a certain type of Bristol City fans culture, I felt.

My one and only question was to be, given that, if I wanted to fly a flag out of my house with the word "Ultras", or in my car, or take it on a political rally, I could do so legally and probably without comment let alone any interest from members of the public, so why would this flag and the word "Ultras" suddenly become so offensive inside of Ashton Gate football stadium.

However my thunder was stolen somewhat as the first question concerned flags etc particularly the Ultras Flag. A response - by DL rather than by AB - was followed up by a challenge by the questioner of DL's position; that topic was ended with a comment by DL that he was not prepared to talk about flags any longer. AB was not asked by DL if he would like to talk about flags.

I couldn't hear most of the rest due to a combination of poor microphone technique on the part of questioners, and background chat in the Lions, but I can nevertheless summarise the rest with two pertinent questions which my daughter asked me, neither of which did I know the answer to:

Question 1

I thought this Bristol Sport chap was here to answer the questions so why are they all being answered by that Fans Liaison Officer?

Question 2

If this is a Q&A meeting, why is Fans Liaison Officer's reply to most questions, "I cannot answer that here and now, but come and see me and we can have a chat about it", I thought this was the meeting to answer questions?

Sad if true

Said it elsewhere and I'll say it here

Even I'm a tad scared that people are currently blinded by our league position and have therefore stopped worrying about the seemingly dangerous path our club is currently going down in terms of the type of fan it wants to see at our club.

There is space for everyone, the club would do very well to remember that, as its that type of fan that would still turn up and support the club when we aren't doing so well on the pitch.

Even I'm a tad scared that people are currently blinded by our league position and have therefore stopped worrying about the seemingly dangerous path our club is currently going down in terms of the type of fan it wants to see at our club.

There is space for everyone, the club would do very well to remember that, as its that type of fan that would still turn up and support the club when we aren't doing so well on the pitch.

It scares me when you talk like this Dolls. Something must be wrong at the root.

The microphone technique certainly could have been improved upon.

The use of a earthy venue did bring an obvious change, people intentionally turned up who have never been seen at previous meetings.

Hopefully Mr Billigham left feeling that agreeing to try somewhere a bit different was appreciated.

• Admin

From the impression I got I thought it was small progress with AB he acknowledged concerns raised and I believe him entering that environment will have made him aware there are many different demographics of supporters who follow city.

Only time will tell how much was taken in tho

Question 1

Question 2

Question 1

Question 2

There's that word again...

• SC&T Board Members

Billingham doesn't quite seem the dictatorial get that some here are trying to paint him as. Other than the flag intransigence and "brand" nonsense, there's nothing there to frighten the horses, I'd have thought.

Can someone explain who the Safety Advisory Group are?

Every football ground has a Safety Advisory Group (SAG). It is chaired by someone from the council and includes all 'stakeholders' with an interest in stadium safety / crowd management, e.g. police, stewarding team, football club, Sports Ground Safety Authority etc. (the one notable exception is any supporter represesentation!). The SAG has the final say on the issue of the ground's safety certificate and can make its award subject to certain conditions, e.g. reductions in the capacity of any area of unreserved seating (however, it does not have to do this and the 'bible' by which they operate, the Green Guide' merely suggests that in such areas a reduction of 5-10% might be appropriate).

I was intrigued to hear that it was the SAG who had ruled that the 'Ultras' flag was unacceptable. In order to better understand their thinking on this, I have asked DL to provide me with a copy of the relevant minute from the meeting at which this decision was taken.

DL: Former East Enders will have the first chance to get tickets in the South Stand singing section. Then fans from the Atyeo. Then the Williams. And then others.

Not impressed with this statement. There's a number of Atyeo fans who sit in the traditional singings areas of the stand i.e behind the goal/up in the h block corner, but when the South Stand is finished, they're effectively homeless until the former East Enders have their pick of the supposedly best singing areas.

Surely it's fairer to have the former East Enders and the soon-to-be former Atyeo Enders given the same priority?

Every football ground has a Safety Advisory Group (SAG). It is chaired by someone from the council and includes all 'stakeholders' with an interest in stadium safety / crowd management, e.g. police, stewarding team, football club, Sports Ground Safety Authority etc. (the one notable exception is any supporter represesentation!). The SAG has the final say on the issue of the ground's safety certificate and can make its award subject to certain conditions, e.g. reductions in the capacity of any area of unreserved seating (however, it does not have to do this and the 'bible' by which they operate, the Green Guide' merely suggests that in such areas a reduction of 5-10% might be appropriate).

I was intrigued to hear that it was the SAG who had ruled that the 'Ultras' flag was unacceptable. In order to better understand their thinking on this, I have asked DL to provide me with a copy of the relevant minute from the meeting at which this decision was taken.

Thanks BR - and thanks for the minutes.

It does seem bizarre that a flag that is OK one season is suddenly deemed non gratis another one.

Such matters also seem to fall outside the remit of this Safety Advisory Group.

Not impressed with this statement. There's a number of Atyeo fans who sit in the traditional singings areas of the stand i.e behind the goal/up in the h block corner, but when the South Stand is finished, they're effectively homeless until the former East Enders have their pick of the supposedly best singing areas.

Surely it's fairer to have the former East Enders and the soon-to-be former Atyeo Enders given the same priority?

I'm not happy about that either. I pay the same amount of money, I expect to have the same priority. The back rows/section will have to be designated "Eastenders only"  ? 

• SC&T Board Members

I suggest you wait for the definitive explanation on how this is going to be done. And/or in the meantime let DL know of your concerns. Of course, if the 'singing section' is sufficiently large, there should be room in it for all fans who want to support the team from that area. So, in fact, do let DL know of your interest, so that the club can better gauge the level of demand (although the survey should have made this pretty clear!).

The former "Eastenders" must have priority on everything.

They should have the pick of seats, whilst reserving the right to complain about cost and make continual digs towards the club.

If you are lucky, then you should feel priviliaged to sit along side them, so stop your whining and be grateful that you may be allowed into "their" stand.

They should have the pick of seats, whilst reserving the right to complain about cost and make continual digs towards the club.

If you are lucky, then you should feel priviliaged to sit along side them, so stop your whining and be grateful that you may be allowed into "their" stand.

Good points! What about us 'original' East Enders who were in there when the stand was at it's pomp??

How will the club decide a definition of East Enders? Only people who've been in there since it reopened to home fans?? I sincerely hope not.

A lot of people who left the East End when it had seats put in may want to return to their spiritual home. No reason for anyone to get 'priority' - the old East End belonged to everyone and the new South Stand will belong to all our fans who want to go there. Not just a 'select' group who think they invented singing at home games a few years ago.....

:sad26:  :mf_sleep:

Clever.

Even I'm a tad scared that people are currently blinded by our league position and have therefore stop worrying about the seemingly dangerous path our club is currently going down in terms of the type of fan it wants to see at our club.

In my opinion, Thatcham Red was the only of the three who genuinely seemed to accept the consensus of the audience. Credit to the supporters Trust/Cub here.

Bristol Rob, as I've said elsewhere, the main hope I took from the occassion was that face to face meetings are on offer. It was claimed, people don't e-mail Dave to arrange such meetings. Some sadly, are losing the faith to bother.

What I'd like is a tangible, evidenced based report of actual change, not just "we're open to suggestions/further face to face talks".

My general view was that fans were placated as best they could be for now (no one I spoke to was actually convinced by what they saw/heard). Some think, who is this AB and why is he in a position to tell us what we should and shouldn't do?

But wait for the official write up from the ST/C.

The club complying with everything the ill-named SAG suggest [italics needed] and then stating that they are bound by 'law' is a PR disaster.

I have fallen into the habit of going with my Dad, who likes to sit in the higher Dolman so that he has an over view to analyse the strategy of the game. I have gone with my brother, his wife and kids who frankly are more into the family day out scene.

All this is about is a non-mogonistic approach which BS have said [italics needed] they agree with.

To put value judgement on one over the other is NOT the idea. A 'one size doesn't fit all' argument, is.

Archived