IGNORED

Pre Match Q&a

Bristol Rob

I'm absolutely gobsmacked about this too. Why a flag with the word 'Ultras' flown at a football match in a Bristol, England, would offend people from Poland who have moved to our city.

I found this article on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_hooliganism_in_Polandit does refer to the word Ultra in the last paragraph on politics, but it does seem a small part of a bigger problem. 

What do they say? I know about the ultras one, assume the wurzel loyal one too? Absurd

Thee flags are not all owned by the same people, or collective of fans, but what was attempted yesterday was to convey that even an image such as the Angry Robin is as Ultra in context as the flags that are looked upon as conceivably having fascist connections.

The club liaison yesterday mentioned the working relationship CPFC have with their fans. CPFC have a overt Ultra fans group - HF. Bristol Sport and the FC would benefit even there from possessing a more coherent position.

Thee flags are not all owned by the same people, or collective of fans, but was attempted yesterday to convey was that even an image such as the Angry Robin is as Ultra in context as the flags that are looked upon as conceivably having fascist connections.

The club liaison yesterday mentioned the working relationship CPFC have with their fans. CPFC have a overt Ultra fans group - HF. Bristol Sport and the FC would benefit even there from possessing a more coherent position.

What absolute nonsense that is about the flags

Every football ground has a Safety Advisory Group (SAG). It is chaired by someone from the council and includes all 'stakeholders' with an interest in stadium safety / crowd management, e.g. police, stewarding team, football club, Sports Ground Safety Authority etc. (the one notable exception is any supporter represesentation!). The SAG has the final say on the issue of the ground's safety certificate and can make its award subject to certain conditions, e.g. reductions in the capacity of any area of unreserved seating (however, it does not have to do this and the 'bible' by which they operate, the Green Guide' merely suggests that in such areas a reduction of 5-10% might be appropriate).

I was intrigued to hear that it was the SAG who had ruled that the 'Ultras' flag was unacceptable. In order to better understand their thinking on this, I have asked DL to provide me with a copy of the relevant minute from the meeting at which this decision was taken.

Is there a list of names for the Safety Advisory Group, who is the counsellor, it will be interesting to know who are these people. Is the new Head of security in this group? Since he has arrived he has taken a more hard line, is it his decision to take the flag off after 45 minutes?

But we (Atyeo peeps) have second dibs on location/area etc. behind the EastEnders.

Can't you see this as unfair?

And, I'm sure we all realise that the South Stand will accommodate us all.  However, I don't want to be down the front behind the goal...

I'm not involved in either stand but do agree with you it does seem unfair. The Eastenders have had to move for a year and now going back 'home' as such but the Atyeo people are not relocating and are looking for a new permanent home too. They have as much right for first dibs in my opinion for what it's worth.

But we (Atyeo peeps) have second dibs on location/area etc. behind the EastEnders.

Can't you see this as unfair?

And, I'm sure we all realise that the South Stand will accommodate us all.  However, I don't want to be down the front behind the goal...

Please don't shoot the messenger. :)

This isn't a new thing. It's been the case since before the EE was demolished. The new stand has something like 5 times the capacity of the current numbers of EE relocators, so it will all be fine

I do hope that SC & T are ensuring the views of all fans are being catered for, as the minutes seem to suggest that fans currently sitting in the Williams stand (which will not exist next season), are third in line. Will there be a meeting to consult these fans?

There does seem to be a case here of not making "demands" but shouting the loudest.

The former "Eastenders" must have priority on everything.

They should have the pick of seats, whilst reserving the right to complain about cost and make continual digs towards the club.

If you are lucky, then you should feel priviliaged to sit along side them, so stop your whining and be grateful that you may be allowed into "their" stand.

Why is there an expectation that we should bend over backwards to accommodate "Eastenders" all the time??

It was this lot that insisted on the cheapest tickets too!!!

Why do we do that? Treat all the same. Why didn't they pay the same as the rest of us did in the Williams all last year?

Are they poor or something?

We're all the same. Treat everyone the same!

• SC&T Board Members

I do hope that SC & T are ensuring the views of all fans are being catered for, as the minutes seem to suggest that fans currently sitting in the Williams stand (which will not exist next season), are third in line. Will there be a meeting to consult these fans?

There does seem to be a case here of not making "demands" but shouting the loudest.

As I put in a previous answer, I suggest waiting to get (or asking now for) the definitive relocation plan from DL / the club. As I understand it, Atyeo folk, and I'm one, can stay put next season (or move elsewhere if they wish, at the appropriate point in the process).

Even if every single former East Ender decided to go in the back section of the South Stand, it would still be little over half full. So there's no panic.

So, we are a 'brand' and not a club? We will have a 'section' and not an end? the historical EAST end has become the South stand and flags allowed in every other ground in the country are banned at Ashton Gate?

Is this still the club brand we have always supported because I'm beginning to struggle to recognise it?

I appreciate the need to 'harness the modern game' but to totally ignore the things that were good in the old one is a huge mistake in my opinion. I wonder if the Polish communities in every other town or city with a football club are as 'upset' as ours about the word 'Ultras'? It's a word for supporter FFS?

Foam hands and plastic clappers anyone? :facepalm:

Why is there an expectation that we should bend over backwards to accommodate "Eastenders" all the time??

Why do we do that? Treat all the same. Why didn't they pay the same as the rest of us did in the Williams all last year?

:grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

NOBODY DEMANDED ******* ANYTHING.

Please pin this quote to the top of the forum mods ;)

So, we are a 'brand' and not a club? We will have a 'section' and not an end? the historical EAST end has become the South stand and flags allowed in every other ground in the country are banned at Ashton Gate?

Is this still the club brand we have always supported because I'm beginning to struggle to recognise it?

I appreciate the need to 'harness the modern game' but to totally ignore the things that were good in the old one is a huge mistake in my opinion. I wonder if the Polish communities in every other town or city with a football club are as 'upset' as ours about the word 'Ultras'? It's a word for supporter FFS?

Foam hands and plastic clappers anyone? :facepalm:

Bristol City is a marketable brand yes.

He's absolutely right there. We haven't marketed well in the past but it is a brand.

He's absolutely right there. We haven't marketed well in the past but it is a brand.

He is a man with a commercial background using commercial terms he understands. It's only a question of semantics but apparently people misinterpret the meaning behind words, like Brand, Section and ummmm Ultra.....

He is a man with a commercial background using commercial terms he understands. It's only a question of semantics but apparently people misinterpret the meaning behind words, like Brand, Section and ummmm Ultra.....

I'm from the same background as he so I know where he's coming from and I get it.

I think he's not a football guy though so probably doesn't adjust his language for the audience.

It was this lot that insisted on the cheapest tickets too ... Can you point to any serious approach or meeting where this insistence was made? Save time. It did not happen.

Treat all the same. Why didn't they pay the same as the rest of us did in the Williams all last year? It is unclear, but no KEEP THE PRICE DOWN request was made at the relocation meeting.

What has consistently been called for is choice and inclusion since 2006. That should be a fundamental core of any football club.

I appreciate that Aussie but we're also Bristol City Football Club aren't we / used to be? I don't see the need for the corporate 'speak' although understand the need to market things better. Too much and unnecessary where, we, the fans (or should that be another word now?) are concerned.

I'm beginning to think our matchday experience is going to be as diluted and contrived as the Malaysians have over the river.

As I put in a previous answer, I suggest waiting to get (or asking now for) the definitive relocation plan from DL / the club. As I understand it, Atyeo folk, and I'm one, can stay put next season (or move elsewhere if they wish, at the appropriate point in the process).

Even if every single former East Ender decided to go in the back section of the South Stand, it would still be little over half full. So there's no panic.

..but surely that doesn't cater for each of the fans who currently sit in the back row of the Atyeo?

With this approach, none of the East Enders miss out, but a lot of the Atyeo fans will !!

Priority must be equal in my opinion. It doesn't matter whether the club "decided" this last year, or the year before - in the process of fairness, even priority needs to be given to both sets of fans.

I appreciate that Aussie but we're also Bristol City Football Club aren't we / used to be? I don't see the need for the corporate 'speak' although understand the need to market things better. Too much and unnecessary where, we, the fans (or should that be another word now?) are concerned.

I'm beginning to think our matchday experience is going to be as diluted and contrived as the Malaysians have over the river.

Football is changing/ has changed.

If we don't, then we will remain a lower league third tier for a long time.

We need a marketable brand, higher revenue stream, optimised OpEx on the P&L and an ability to funnel those costs into a team from a better structure.

If you want the "old" football experience then we'll never achieve the heights of the Premier League or even higher end of Chanpionship.

We need a marketable brand, higher revenue stream, optimised OpEx on the P&L and an ability to funnel those costs into a team from a better structure.

If you want the "old" football experience then we'll never achieve the heights of the Premier League or even higher end of Chanpionship.

Interesting if you read a lot of fans thoughts on this board. Some of them aren't particularly fussed with reaching the Premier league.

if you take a look across the bridge, our friends over there sold their soul to reach the promised land, but now that they've had their little adventure, they're crying out for their soul back.

Even if City ever made it to the top division, we'll always be near the bottom or a yo-yo club, as that's the nature of the beast. We should be concentrating on being a club for the fans and the community, and not a brand.

Interesting if you read a lot of fans thoughts on this board. Some of them aren't particularly fussed with reaching the Premier league.

if you take a look across the bridge, our friends over there sold their soul to reach the promised land, but now that they've had their little adventure, they're crying out for their soul back.

Even if City ever made it to the top division, we'll always be near the bottom or a yo-yo club, as that's the nature of the beast. We should be concentrating on being a club for the fans and the community, and not a brand.

Cardiff's experience was awful and their own fault.

I'd rather follow the example - far more successful - from further down the M4 at Swansea.

I'm from the same background as he so I know where he's coming from and I get it.

I think he's not a football guy though so probably doesn't adjust his language for the audience.

He's worked in football since 2006, but agreed, he isn't helping his cause if he doesn't adjust his language as you suggest.

:grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

NOBODY DEMANDED ******* ANYTHING.

Please pin this quote to the top of the forum mods ;)

But did it happen? When the time comes are the Atyeo and Williams people going to be offered a 'relocation sweetener' ? In the interest of fairness and inclusion I think they should be, as well as the people who have had to move from the lower Dolman.

We all have to put up with upheaval when the ground is being redeveloped, but why the different level of treatment?

He's worked in football since 2006, but agreed, he isn't helping his cause if he doesn't adjust his language as you suggest.

Certainly when there are people determined to pick any opportunity to wave their arms in the air and cry for the loss of identity and all that's wrong with the world with little or no evidence to support their claim.

• SC&T Board Members

Cardiff's experience was awful and their own fault.

I'd rather follow the example - far more successful - from further down the M4 at Swansea.

Me, too. Full supporter involvement there. In their case through a 20% shareholding and board representation.

Once again. I agree with your sentiment Aussie but I do that stuff at work and go to the football to get away from all that. I don't want to know about marketing, sections and brands at 3pm on a Saturday, I just want to yell support for the team!

I just don't see why things that were positive are being changed when there is no need. The EE identity for one (and I wasn't an EE'er).

Archived