IGNORED

Useless Hyped Up Managers .

Major Isewater

Graeme Souness is a good shout. He does have a few trophies under his belt (and is loved in certain parts of Turkey) but he does have a habit of taking any side and making them average, in fact he has done that with virtually every side he has managed (This is obviously a bonus if the side was poor to begin with though).

hated in the same part of Turkey too

Peter Taylor isn't a bad shout but he has won 5 promotions including pretty much taking Hull from the bottom of L3 to a decent Championship side.

He was sensational for England under 21s though. He truly moulded a team that even though got to 3 quarter finals should have done better.

Gave Becks the England captaincy first too.

Got a lot of respect for the bloke. I do wonder if he was more wise and managed to draw a big job, granted Leic isn't a small one, his career and reputation would've gone in a much different direction.

Did well at Posh before getting the boot.

I'm not Johnsons biggest fan either but he did a decent job with both City and Yeovil... seems a more short term success manager with no long term goal for the benefit of the club. The scouting network was a total joke

I would (at least for the most part) second this. I see this as a more balanced view of GJ than the radically polarised opinions that usually tend to surface on this forum.

I admire the job GJ did here for his first two seasons but agree he lost his way after this, had no long-term plan and that his scouting was crap. Similarly at Yeovil.

Cotterill blows his bollocks off though. If I was a woman I would bear his illicit love-child.

I haven't read the whole thread, so these are just my opinions. Prob been mentioned already.

Tony Mowbray. Been shit for a while, dont expect him to do much at Coventry

Alan Irvine. How the #### did he get the West Brom job?

Phil Brown. A clown. Lucky at Hull

Harry Redknapp.

Avram Grant (or was)

Steve Coppell. Sorry he's a ####### bottler.

Some WTF appointments from recent years would be

Alan Irvine - WBA
Dean Saunders - Wolves
Brian Laws - Burnley
Alan Shearer - Newcastle
Paul Ince - Blackburn
Mark Hughes - Every team, possibly as annoying as Dean Saunders
Kenny Dalglish - Liverpool
Alex McLeish - Aston Villa
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Cardiff
Steve Kean - Blackburn

He relegated them.. Nuff said really.

they were on their way down after 69', Busby, Frank O Farell and Wilf McGuiness all had their fingers in that dismal relegation pie. Alex Stepney as goalkeeper was top scorer for a while because he took penalties! Bit tragic when Law scored the backheel to send them down, but its not like they stayed down for long..

He relegated them.. Nuff said really.

they were on their way down after 69', Busby, Frank O Farell and Wilf McGuiness all had their fingers in that dismal relegation pie. Alex Stepney as goalkeeper was top scorer for a while because he took penalties! Bit tragic when Law scored the backheel to send them down, but its not like they stayed down for long..

Some WTF appointments from recent years would be

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Cardiff

I'll grant you with hindsight it didn't work out but certainly not a wtf appointment when he was hired. His stock was very high and he was considered to be a very bright prospect with most wondering how Cardiff had managed to lure him in [money, of course].

He's one I can't quite place as to whether he deserves another punt and/or what he might be capable of - whether Cardiff was a blip and a lesson learnt or whether he is just not all that. That said if I was on the board in the Championship or League One looking for a new manager and his CV landed on my desk he's certainly someone I'd want to interview and gauge if he's got the self awareness of what went wrong at Cardiff and why and what he would have done differently. Perhaps I'm naive though as I'd feel in the exact same boat about McInnes too; desperate to hear that he's realised his reliance upon his knowledge of Scottish players was misplaced and that he's more in tune with the rigours and quality of the football league.

Again, I think it could be a case of picking the wrong job at the wrong time and that having a significant impact upon the way his career develops.

Sean O Drosscoll, Martin Allen, and Louis Van Gaal at Manure....

O Drosscoll should never be allowed to run a bath let alone a football club

We're just going to ignore his achievements at Doncaster and Bournemouth then? The same achievements that meant his arrival at City was greeted with almost unanimous approval on this forum at the time - unlike when Cotterill arrived.

He is one of many managers who has succeeded admirably at some clubs while failing at others.

We're just going to ignore his achievements at Doncaster and Bournemouth then? The same achievements that meant his arrival at City was greeted with almost unanimous approval on this forum at the time - unlike when Cotterill arrived.

He is one of many managers who has succeeded admirably at some clubs while failing at others.

Almost unanimous at best - I was certainly against appointing him and thought it would end terribly: although I had no idea just how incompetent he was.

I'm not sure at Donny you could say he succeeded admirably. Yes they got promoted against the odds (not all odds mind you - they had a good side) and that deserves credit. In the Championship they stayed up - no mean feat but again I would stop well short of calling it a Midas touch. After that though down to injuries the rot set in and he showed, despite backing, he couldn't stop the rot. Sounds familiar.

Bournemouth again he did well on little money. But let's not forget this was League Two. Most operate on 'little money' and the difference between spending powers is not that wide : most clubs are brassic, so I don't think there's anything truly remarkable about the job there. The gulf in quality between top and bottom is not all that.

Crawley: he's probably as popular there as Steve Coppell here. Pretty classless.

Notts Forest; bought a load of players relying on old boys too but ultimately very poor return for the outlay.

Us: hmmmm

Equally tragic is this myth being perpetuated since 1974: the way other results went that day, United would have been relegated even had it stayed 0-0.

Archived