IGNORED

Aden Flint Is Having A Party ...

WolfOfWestStreet

You can understand why people don't want to join in? I'm not offended by drugs or the like, I just don't like them and don't want any part of them. There is nothing wrong with having a laugh or banter at the football but I don't see anything funny about drugs.

It is noticeably quieter when the vodka and Charlie bit is sung so many feel he same way,

Hopefully the mix up will take over instead

"If you are a Rovers fan surrender or you die"

"Hit him with a brick, and now he dont sing anymore"

"Hit him on the head with a baseball bat"

"Inbreds and roundabouts"

Any song directed at Cardiff concerning sheep

Many lines deemed "acceptable to sing" by the fact we dont debate whether or not they should be sung. I self censor a lot and get over it. Don't like it, just change the words or sing the first line and not the 2nd. Not tricky is it?

So where is the line drawn ( or chopped out) Red M? No doubt you would find it offensive if the banter was , say... homophobic, racist or overtly sexist. 

I can see why some may also find Class A drugs an inappropriate subject for a chant in front of kids. Yes, there's always something worse to be offended by

but that's a little like saying - well it least it wasn't racist.

I find it odd that this song would get sounded out as as 'inappropriate subject for a chant in front of kids' yet there is no outburst for a song where the theme is feeling sick looking at a gas head so picking up a brick and hitting him with it. I also don't understand why so many are deeply offended by the sheer mention of a drug whilst the same probably jubilantly jump around singing 'cider in a can' notwithstanding that alcohol can be equally as devistating. Why should I find one substance capable of abuse more offensive than another because decades ago an arbitrary list without any real rhyme or reason was drawn up as to what would be permitted and what wouldn't?

IMO trying to win a debate around morality or perhaps tastefullness of football chants is futile - that ship sailed a long long time ago and anyone going to football now has to expect, rightly or wrongly, they may hear things or their children may hear things which in a different arena would be highly offensive.

So to your question where do you draw the line it'd be pretty hypocritical to draw the line based upon a moral compass - the line is for me criminality. The 'ists' you've listed above as examples would all still be banned (quite rightly).

I think the songs kind of police themselves, certain bits of songs I've not sang in the past but join in with the body of the song, like I said it's opinion and choice. On the whole football songs tend to be a bit near the edge, that's the nature of them. Simple and with a bit of humour works best.

I don't think anyone really thinks that Aden Flint is having a drugs party, it's so unlikely that it gets sung about for some reason. If the song is well recieved it will stay around for a while, if not it will fade naturally like many others have done in the past. Sounds like the bits that contain the drugs/alcohol references are being dropped anyway.

One of the best chants from the old, old Eastend was the 'you're gonna ride in a Bristol Ambulance' which could be now seen as threatening violence, but back then it was just a humorous chant, well on the whole it was!

Edit: and if any kids aren't aware of the dangers of drugs and alcohol by now where have they been? I'm sure the kids people are concerned about have far more knowledge about this stuff than I did as a kid, and I managed to grow up just fine (in my opinion) anyway.

I wonder what professional athlete Aden Flint thinks of his song?

If people wanna sing it, it's just a bit of fun, like all football songs, as Red M and Dolly have said.

Why I don't is the "vodka and charlie" bit which sounds rather "Jeremy Kyle".

Might as well sing about "going down the sosh" or "having a stand-up row with your missus outside your house".

I change the line to "bring a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild 82" of course, although it's tough to make that scan. ;-)

One of the best chants from the old, old Eastend was the 'you're gonna ride in a Bristol Ambulance' which could be now seen as threatening violence, but back then it was just a humorous chant, well on the whole it was!

'You're going home in a Bristol Ambulance', was the later, and very much toned down version of, 'You're going to get your ******* heads kicked in' RedM.

I'm afraid neither was a humourous chant at all, that was in the 70's and it most certainly WAS threatening violence.

I wonder what professional athlete Aden Flint thinks of his song?

If people wanna sing it, it's just a bit of fun, like all football songs, as Red M and Dolly have said.

Why I don't is the "vodka and charlie" bit which sounds rather "Jeremy Kyle".

Might as well sing about "going down the sosh" or "having a stand-up row with your missus outside your house".

I change the line to "bring a bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild 82" of course, although it's tough to make that scan. ;-)

trying to think of a famous wine house that rhymes with party, nope

d'Yquem perhaps??

So where is the line drawn ( or chopped out) Red M? No doubt you would find it offensive if the banter was , say... homophobic, racist or overtly sexist. 

I can see why some may also find Class A drugs an inappropriate subject for a chant in front of kids. Yes, there's always something worse to be offended by

but that's a little like saying - well it least it wasn't racist.

Who is it causing offence to? An inanimate white powder?

People need to get in the real world and not be soft touches. It's a chant ffs?

People last week were moaning about the atmosphere at the Gate. I don't see any harm in this at all!

The chant started at Swindon I think.

Towards the end we'd merged the songs and dropped all the references to chemicals harmful to the body, so no need to worry about upsetting small children or offending Bristols Polish community

Ps. I still have the song stuck in my head ... Even typed frankie fielding into an email this morning by mistake ....

Towards the end we'd merged the songs and dropped all the references to chemicals harmful to the body, so no need to worry about upsetting small children of offending Bristols Polish community

They are apparently insisting that the vodka reference be re-added.

It is noticeably quieter when the vodka and Charlie bit is sung so many feel he same way,

Hopefully the mix up will take over instead

I don't think so, I haven't heard it that way.

Find it strange how people won't sing about vodka and Charlie but would sing about "if you are a rovers fan surrender or you'll die" (a song which originated from the Billy Boys - a sectarian song Rangers used to sing) or "he's a poor little gas head".

I think football is almost like an alternate reality, you don't necessarily have to believe in what is sung.

I don't think so, I haven't heard it that way.

Find it strange how people won't sing about vodka and Charlie but would sing about "if you are a rovers fan surrender or you'll die" (a song which originated from the Billy Boys - a sectarian song Rangers used to sing) or "he's a poor little gas head".

I think football is almost like an alternate reality, you don't necessarily have to believe in what is sung.

I don't sing those songs either. But - again - not fussed if others do. Takes all sorts.

So does this mean that scousers are not eating rats in their council house ?

Am I the only one who has a problem with our fans singing songs about taking A class drugs..?!

In 99.9% of cases I'm pretty unoffendable, but I hate this.

At away games recently I've been changing "Charlie" to "Bacardi". I know I probably sound a bit of a knob doing that, but I'd rather that than associate myself with fcuking drugs!

Alcohol is a drug mate.

Sounds like a bit of fun to me. I wouldn't be too worried about the kids singing these songs either. Growing up I never once snapped the neck of a blue scarf wearing corner stander, or hit a tatty faced Gashead with a brick - no matter how much I sang about them. That said, they do make me feel sick.

That's it, let's stop singing Drink Up Thee Cider as it promotes alcoholism. Get a grip people! Its a chant.

I say lets have Hi Ho Silver Lining as our Wembley anthem if thats the case! 

Notice they bloody played that last night?

Archived