IGNORED

"singing Section" (Wembley)

real_bristol

It's not holier than thou. I had a lot of friends going for the first time today, taking family members young kids etc. No problem with that at all. As you say helps fill the ground and not everyone can be a season ticket holder.

What pisses me off is people that go and couldn't care less about the game and spend more time wondering around. Like I said some lanky streak of piss kept getting out of his seat. I lost my head with the cretin in the end.

I'm not an egg chasing fan but went to Twickenham last weekend, no one appeared to watch the game so I understand if that's what happened its f'ing annoying!

It's the classic catch 22 of a big crowd. More people to sing, but we had pockets of people starting different songs and when we all got to the same song we had pockets of people singing at different speeds.

I was in 112, I started a few chants and had a good time, but there's only so much you can do.

A crowd that size could've used a drum... :fear:

Obviously there are part timers there, we all know that. We don't have a 40k demand for tickets every week.

My point was that embarrassing was a bit harsh as it didn't particularly show us up or embarrass us on TV to the nation.

I meant that through the telly it was embarrassing not that it looked embarrassing to any neutrals watching. My mistake.

With everyone sitting in areas not necessarily with all their usual mates, a lot of occasional (or even first time) fans and a game that went flat for protracted spells, the quietness is not surprising.

It's nothing to do with the design or ambiance of Wembley as the noise from us all in the dying seconds and after the whistle had blown was quite impressive. It's just a fact of life for these big games in such a venue.

I did my best to generate some noise, but I had Walsall to my left, was accompanied by three "neutrals, and there was a party of Bristol University lecturers to our right who analysed the game as if it was a laboratory study. Oh and some old bloke in front of me whose only words were to call for JET to come on, once every 10 minutes until he did!

I'm sure my experience was not alone. I still enjoyed my day though as cup finals - no matter how Mickey Mouse they might be - have a special feel to them, and you just enjoy the whole experience. Unless your team loses of course...

It's the classic catch 22 of a big crowd. More people to sing, but we had pockets of people starting different songs and when we all got to the same song we had pockets of people singing at different speeds.

I was in 112, I started a few chants and had a good time, but there's only so much you can do.

A crowd that size could've used a drum... :fear:

I saw Notterz with his drum walking towards the stadium not long before the match. I was in the "singing section" and didn't hear a drum. What happened? I agree, a drum is essential at Wembley, it's often disjointed.

The second half we got going a bit, but in the first half the atmosphere was not good in the "singing section".

I thought the atmosphere was a bit poor but then with the amount of day trippers it was to be expected. Walsall didn't exactly sing their hearts out either.

I thought I was back in the Dolman at one point though with the amount of people constantly in and out of their seats. One lanky streak of piss must have only watched about 10mins of the game at best.

Talking of people out of their seats, how many people were still not back in their seats after HT when the second goal went in? There were still loads missing when the second half kicked off. Just don't understand why these people would spend money to watch a football match and then not actually watch all of it.

Sat next to them too. Not a peep. Our group missed out on tickets in there and tbh we're embarrassed. Trying to get them going too.

I was in the singing section block 111, the only block that stood all through the game.

From the minute we arrived I told a mate the atmosphere would be poor: the so called 'singing section' was full of children, families etc.

That said a few lads about and a few songs got going. Still a shit atmosphere but for wembley was fairly good, much better than 2008.

Overall don't know why people were disappointed or let down; we all know what wembley 'is'.

I got labeled a day tripper a few times by some gentlemen next to us, they also often asked if we were City fans as apparently not standing up all game meant I wasn't a city fan. I really felt like showing them my season ticket just to prove a point. Oh well great day, very proud of the lads.

Am I the only one with the overall feeling that it was quite decent considering the fact that the game was fairly unimportant, the game fairly shite, and the crowd were fairly apathetic by nature?

It wasnt a great atmosphere, but it was ok in patches and apart from the obvious issue inherent with any stadium of that size - that there is little cohesion, with pockets of song overlapping and drowning each other out - I thought the noise levels were alright.

The 30 mins after the first goal were very quiet, but you could sense the collective cider wearing off.

As an aside, I just have to mention the toilets. Wtf was going on there? Not sure what others' experience was (think this has the most toilets of any building in the world), but the one I used was littered with full and half full pint glasses, with half eaten hot dogs surrounding the wash basins. It was like a mass evacuation had taken place, frozen in time like chernobyl.

I got labeled a day tripper a few times by some gentlemen next to us, they also often asked if we were City fans as apparently not standing up all game meant I wasn't a city fan. I really felt like showing them my season ticket just to prove a point. Oh well great day, very proud of the lads.

All due respect, but why buy tickets in the singing section if you wanted to sit for 90mins?

Am I the only one with the overall feeling that it was quite decent considering the fact that the game was fairly unimportant, the game fairly shite, and the crowd were fairly apathetic by nature?

It wasnt a great atmosphere, but it was ok in patches and apart from the obvious issue inherent with any stadium of that size - that there is little cohesion, with pockets of song overlapping and drowning each other out - I thought the noise levels were alright.

The 30 mins after the first goal were very quiet, but you could sense the collective cider wearing off.

Exactly what I said pal. Good for Wembley standards.

Chant started up.

Majority of people around us joined in.

Some kid/guy/lad turned round to all behind him with an angry look on his face, waving his arms about as though no one was joining in properly.

We ignored him and continued singing.

He sat down and shut up.

We continued singing.

He'll probably be on here soon complaining about how **** the atmosphere was.

I honestly don't know what people expect. Was there for the fa cup semi finals last year and it wasn't any different.

Its a shame people didn't enjoy tjis brilliant day out.

Spose its the hope.

The hope that the atmosphere in crystals could make make it 200 metres into the stadium.

A man fell asleep in front of us today.

BLOCK 115 ROW 39 SEAT 89/90ish?

ASLEEP!!

I thought the atmosphere outside before the game was great.  It's a shame more people weren't singing during the game but, at the same time, I don't think it's fair to assume, as some seem to on this thread, the amount someone sings proves how much of a fan they are (or indeed that not singing means people are part-timers or 'day-trippers' or whatever).  Personally I tend to get quite intensely focussed on what's going on in the game to the point that I don't really sing or make a great deal of noise except when there's a goal.  Which means I obviously didn't buy a ticket in the singing section but I don't think means that I'm not really a fan.   It's obviously good when people do sing but I don't necessarily think there's a correlation between singing loudly and being a committed supporter. 

Obviously none of this changes the fact that you would expect those in the singing section to actually sing though...

I thought the atmosphere outside before the game was great. It's a shame more people weren't singing during the game but, at the same time, I don't think it's fair to assume, as some seem to on this thread, the amount someone sings proves how much of a fan they are (or indeed that not singing means people are part-timers or 'day-trippers' or whatever). Personally I tend to get quite intensely focussed on what's going on in the game to the point that I don't really sing or make a great deal of noise except when there's a goal. Which means I obviously didn't buy a ticket in the singing section but I don't think means that I'm not really a fan. It's obviously good when people do sing but I don't necessarily think there's a correlation between singing loudly and being a committed supporter.

Obviously none of this changes the fact that you would expect those in the singing section to actually sing though...

I never judge anyone on how they choose to watch city but I honestly thought those that purchased in the singing section would sing but this wasn't the case.

Perhaps in the future we should limit the singing section to one or two blocks.

Having said that I looked over from 111 to block 112 and even though I could see they were singing I honestly couldn't hear them.

Archived