IGNORED

Lansdown Will Show Some Players The Door .

Major Isewater

Lord Lansdown gave an interesting interview in the Pist relating to next year's budget .

I was especially interested with his comment that "some players want double the money on coming from the League 1 to the Championship "

Is this a warning to the lads or do we have players already in negotiations who are likely to be let go ?

Very interesting comments from SL. 

You'd have to guess JET.

I guess you'd have to include any player who wants more money and certainly most of their agents.

Very interesting comments from SL. Fortunately SC has never been able to operate on a big budget at any of his clubs so he is used to putting a team together the hard way. There are still several players in L1 who could step up to Championship with BCFC. There are also plenty of Premier league fringe players who would jump at the chance to restart their career in a team and club with momentum.

You'll probably find some players have a clause, including at least 50% increase if we go up.

We've managed to get these quality players in for a reason, you know.

A lot are ready and able to step it up.

Plus, to go up with such vigor, you need to do what we're doing. It's not cheap! But it can be sustainable with the right guys on the board.

So with SL and co, meh - it's nay worries!

They ain't stupid and aren't going to repeat the panic of over spending on mediocre journeymen to sustain and complete in the Championship.

A large point is ensuring you're getting value for money and it seems we definitely are.

Some things have to be managed. For example, if Luke Freeman knocked on your door for a 50% payrise you would have to give it some really thorough consideration, whereas if Adam El Abd did you'd be within reason to close the meeting before anyone's had time to dunk their custard cream.

There is no science to it because it is so damn complex. Some could say Flint is well due a pay rise, Joe Bryan (assuming he's on a relative pittance) could reasonably be in line for far greater than a 50% pay rise.

This summer will be an interesting one if nothing else. Last time we were promoted we nearly achieved the unbelievable. Most people seem to suggest what stopped us was over-reliance on last year's heroes and also failing to adequately strengthen in January. Our transfer business: will we make a marquee signing, will we just compliment our squad, will we add numbers to the squad, will we add signficant quality, will we sign more experienced players to help the team etc.

My personal opinion, Lansdown is still absolutely reeling from being taken for a ride and viewed as a mug by agents, players and clubs alike during our last stint in the Championship and I think KD will be under no uncertain terms to keep it frugal.

I have a feeling that this could be a general warning to Agents and players who may try to offer themselves to an upward bound club.

Most of our current squad has been recruited since SOD and SC arrived so it is unlikely that they will be expecting huge increases in salary outside of their current contracts.

So perhaps a bit unfair to single out JET as one who may expect a larger pay rise?

You'll probably find some players have a clause, including at least 50% increase if we go up.

We've managed to get these quality players in for a reason, you know.

A lot are ready and able to step it up.

Plus, to go up with such vigor, you need to do what we're doing. It's not cheap! But it can be sustainable with the right guys on the board.

So with SL and co, meh - it's nay worries!

They ain't stupid and aren't going to repeat the panic of over spending on mediocre journeymen to sustain and complete in the Championship.

A large point is ensuring you're getting value for money and it seems we definitely are.

No way 50%!!

Performance related bonuses are the way to go. That way, there is more incentive to perform and win.

The personnel at the Club and their Agents, will know exactly what is in their contracts and any increase if Championship status is gained.

The one thing fans will have to get used to, is players leaving if a good profit can be made from them.

No sentiment and hanging onto them because we like them. They will be sold and others brought in to replace them, that can develop and make profit in the future.

SL's referring to the last time we went up, when the promoted squad got huge increases across the board.  

The telling line from SL is this, 'What happened last time taught me not to fall in love with the players'.

No bumper long contracts for 'favourites' who don't really merit it, and should demands from present players - or potential incomers - be too high they simply won't be part of the club going forward.

Reading between the lines, and from previous stattements, I think we can also take it that if we get really good offers for players that match the clubs' top valuation, they WILL be sold, whoever they are, and the club won't be precious regarding keeping fans' (or even the board's) favourites. All players can be replaced and we know Keith Burt has a ready made list of candidates for each position.

The club has formulated a strict financial plan for life in the Championship, and players who want to be part of Bristol City going forward will have to adhere to it.

theres always exception to the rules however,

if Ronaldo decided he wanted out of Madrid and brought out his contract and then stated his desire to see out his career at city and wanted a 2 million signing on fee and 15k a week, we'd do it,

highly unlikely as we all know, but as nogbad said the easy pay day in bristol will be a thing of the past

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else so please forgive me if this have already been covered off, but Steve Cotterill's contract expires this summer. Is anyone worried that he may well get a better offer (financially) than Steve Lansdown is prepared to offer. There's lots of talk about momentum carrying the club forward at a great rate of knots, but what about the momentum that has undoubtedly kick started SC's career since coming to us. Lets face it, he must now have regained some serious credibility with his achievements so far? 

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else so please forgive me if this have already been covered off, but Steve Cotterill's contract expires this summer. Is anyone worried that he may well get a better offer (financially) than Steve Lansdown is prepared to offer. There's lots of talk about momentum carrying the club forward at a great rate of knots, but what about the momentum that has undoubtedly kick started SC's career since coming to us. Lets face it, he must now have regained some serious credibility with his achievements so far? 

No it doesn't.

SC signed a 3 and a half year deal until summer 2017.

He has just shy of 3 years on his contract. Even if he didn't nah I wouldn't be worried; he knows he potentially on to folk lore territory here and besides I still think he has an (undeserved from what I have seen) unfashionable reputation.

Looks a great decision at present, doesn't it?

Not really, but then again I'm very anti fixed term agreements and would prefer 12m rolling.

If he sees out his whole contract term he'll be one of the longest serving managers in the game. Heck make it through past January next year and he's probably significantly lofty in the list. Football the way it is, the way this club has in the past out run itself, I wouldn't make any wagers about SC being manager May 2016 no matter how well he has performed up until now.

The key is to avoid a repeat scenario where you have the likes of Kilkenny, Hunt, James, Pearson and Fontaine earning a small fortune and giving the club back LESS than nothing in one or two cases.

I think Lansdown has certainly learned his lesson from last time and as fans we are probably going to have to stomach the fact that we will be looking to build gradually. If we do a "Brentford" or even a "Bristol City" then great but don't expect loads of incoming on high wages. When the stadium is built and IF we are getting over 20K in there on a regular basis then no doubt more money will be made available.

Steve Lansdown has said the same thing before when City have been close to or have achieved promation and I can understand why.

Every agent in football knows that SL is extremely rich and assumes (wrongly) that Bristol City are a soft target because of it. SL is simply stating that the club (him) won't be paying OTT fees or wages.

We can be pretty sure that Cotterill/Burt have a budget (and potential players targeted ) already in preparation for next season and Burt in particular will be very aware of what the club will pay.

He has just shy of 3 years on his contract. Even if he didn't nah I wouldn't be worried; he knows he potentially on to folk lore territory here and besides I still think he has an (undeserved from what I have seen) unfashionable reputation.

Indeed. He still very much ao has an u fashionable rep. Was working in Nottingham a month or so back and some lads on site were slating him generally saying watch out when we get in the Champ as his tactics etc will get found out.

Am I the only one who finds the timing of these comments absolutely ridiculous?

Going into one of the most important periods of our clubs recent history, and he makes quotes like "some players here will start to think they are better then they are"

Sorry....thoughts like that, should be kept in house

Not really, but then again I'm very anti fixed term agreements and would prefer 12m rolling.

If he sees out his whole contract term he'll be one of the longest serving managers in the game. Heck make it through past January next year and he's probably significantly lofty in the list. Football the way it is, the way this club has in the past out run itself, I wouldn't make any wagers about SC being manager May 2016 no matter how well he has performed up until now.

Perhaps he wouldn't have come on "your" terms?

Never mind, we could have appointed another McInnes, Millen or O'Driscoll and continued to flounder.

Who knows? Perhaps he'll turn out to be a long serving manager to rival the likes of Tisdale.

He certainly was making a big deal of coming from "just up the road" at the weekend and having worked for foreign clowns at Forest and Pompey, doesn't fail to take any opportunity to point out how pleased he is to work for an English owner..

SL's referring to the last time we went up, when the promoted squad got huge increases across the board.  

The telling line from SL is this, 'What happened last time taught me not to fall in love with the players'.

No bumper long contracts for 'favourites' who don't really merit it, and should demands from present players - or potential incomers - be too high they simply won't be part of the club going forward.

Reading between the lines, and from previous stattements, I think we can also take it that if we get really good offers for players that match the clubs' top valuation, they WILL be sold, whoever they are, and the club won't be precious regarding keeping fans' (or even the board's) favourites. All players can be replaced and we know Keith Burt has a ready made list of candidates for each position.

The club has formulated a strict financial plan for life in the Championship, and players who want to be part of Bristol City going forward will have to adhere to it.

That was my reading of it as well.

Performance related bonuses are the way to go. That way, there is more incentive to perform and win.

The personnel at the Club and their Agents, will know exactly what is in their contracts and any increase if Championship status is gained.

The one thing fans will have to get used to, is players leaving if a good profit can be made from them.

No sentiment and hanging onto them because we like them. They will be sold and others brought in to replace them, that can develop and make profit in the future.

I agree totally with this, it has to be the way to go, the biggest stumbling block IMO to this will always be some of your mates/relatives 'the agents', i'm sure if they can realise the offer of the full wage from another club without the necessity of having to gain a result to earn that wage and have to rely on the other 10 players on the pitch for that gain, most modern day players would take that and that is the advice that the agent would offer them, the agents want the best/easiest deal for themselves as well.

Regarding Cotterill, I remember at the time of his appointment, when we had been lurching from one manager to the next, there was a lot of dismay about the length of his contract. I think one of the board or Sir Steve himself was asked why it was 3 and a half years, because Cotterill asked for it was the reply. Those were his terms.

Archived