IGNORED

Lansdown Will Show Some Players The Door .

Major Isewater

What SC says makes sense but it remains a great shame that the Academy , now apparently better run, still fails to produce any consistent stream of players to support this more sensible approach to wages from SL. Indeed every time I seem to see a result from one of our teams we have been well beaten.beaten. Surely this area has to produce players if we are to sustain a position in a higher league.

What SC says makes sense but it remains a great shame that the Academy , now apparently better run, still fails to produce any consistent stream of players to support this more sensible approach to wages from SL. Indeed every time I seem to see a result from one of our teams we have been well beaten.beaten. Surely this area has to produce players if we are to sustain a position in a higher league.

Kids arrive at the academy aged 10? Takes a while to see the fruits of this tree.

they aren't going to appear over night ffs

The new set up is what two years old now? Those who were 16 then are now 18 with many being cherry picked by prem clubs because of eppp

We won't see the fruits of our labour realistically until 2017

Am I the only one who finds the timing of these comments absolutely ridiculous?

Going into one of the most important periods of our clubs recent history, and he makes quotes like "some players here will start to think they are better then they are"

Sorry....thoughts like that, should be kept in house

I thought exactly the same thing. If I was a City player reading that, I'd think 'Well **** you then!'

You do make a reasonable point which I think has been lost in some of the subsequent retorts.

The Academy just yet is not consistently churning out players : but the latest investment is still too immature to reap rewards. The key is that whilst we may be able to rely upon the academy in future for now we cannot and thus for now we still need to be very active in the transfer market.

The eureka moment would be understanding when, indeed if we ever are, ready to make the shift from transfer activity to internal promotions. If we get that right we could have some really exciting times ahead.

Thankfully most players don't bite the hand that feeds them,

You don't think? And yet we hear stories on a daily basis about players leaving or holding their clubs to ransom because they feel they've somehow been wronged. Anyway, the point here is that Lansdown's words are badly timed. Just days after we win a trophy at Wembley, and ten points clear at the top of the league, and he doesn't exactly sound grateful. Not good at all for morale, in my opinion.

You don't think? And yet we hear stories on a daily basis about players leaving or holding their clubs to ransom because they feel they've somehow been wronged. Anyway, the point here is that Lansdown's words are badly timed. Just days after we win a trophy at Wembley, and ten points clear at the top of the league, and he doesn't exactly sound grateful. Not good at all for morale, in my opinion.

IMO he is absolutely spot on and if there are any poppets in our squad (and I don't think that there are) who want to join the legions of the grass is greener ex players earning more but money but achieving next to **** all at clubs willing to pay the ransom money, then we don't need them at the club, at least everybody knows where they stand, as RedDave pointed out some players get ahead of themselves, remember Mr Basso and Mr Cisse?, both ****** their careers right up by chasing the money and believing they were better than they actually were, i'm sure Mr Carey will warn players prepared to listen the dangers in that route.

I did find the timing a bit ...... Strange....

Maybe been some discussions recently about contract renewals / extensions ?

Never want to repeat our mistakes of recent years in the wages stake but I also hope we don't knee jerk too far the other way and miss out on / lose , a gem

I find the timing of the comment odd too, but if there is one thing that the club have nailed down in the last 18 months or so, it's transfer policy

Leave that to KB & SC to worry about. If any of the current squad start demanding money that SL isn't comfortable with, or we get offers that we can't turn down, then I'm completely relaxed that the two gentlemen in charge of scouting and recruiting replacements will have a list of suitable, and affordable, replacements

IMO he is absolutely spot on and if there are any poppets in our squad (and I don't think that there are) who want to join the legions of the grass is greener ex players earning more but money but achieving next to **** all at clubs willing to pay the ransom money, then we don't need them at the club, at least everybody knows where they stand, as RedDave pointed out some players get ahead of themselves, remember Mr Basso and Mr Cisse?, both ****** their careers right up by chasing the money and believing they were better than they actually were, i'm sure Mr Carey will warn players prepared to listen the dangers in that route.

I think the sentiment is right, I just didn't like the way he went about it. 'Players thinking they're better than they are'? sounds a bit insulting to me, especially considering those players have brought a huge amount of success to his club.

I think the sentiment is right, I just didn't like the way he went about it. 'Players thinking they're better than they are'? sounds a bit insulting to me, especially considering those players have brought a huge amount of success to his club.

Mate it's true and boy have we found it out to our cost in the past and it's not insulting if it's true, it's a pity there isn't a bit more truth in the world.

and the timing is not odd it's laying his stall out and actually more importantly saying " don't believe the sad/jealous and untrue stories about our 'huge' budget, we won't be ripped off ".

At the end of last season, our ITK's told us forget Freeman he is too good and too expensive for us and here he is, Wibraham and Elliott were too old and selling Baldock was wrong because 'where would the goals come from?' well they come from all over the pitch not just one source.

it is difficult to find a problem with the 'on pitch' aspect of the club, I believe that new players are almost certainly already on board for next season (if promoted obviously) and it'll be interesting to see how those clubs cope with players who want to move here but the club is asking too much for them?.

Let's have some faith for a change.

Mate it's true and boy have we found it out to our cost in the past and it's not insulting if it's true, it's a pity there isn't a bit more truth in the world.

and the timing is not odd it's laying his stall out and actually more importantly saying " don't believe the sad/jealous and untrue stories about our 'huge' budget, we won't be ripped off ".

At the end of last season, our ITK's told us forget Freeman he is too good and too expensive for us and here he is, Wibraham and Elliott were too old and selling Baldock was wrong because 'where would the goals come from?' well they come from all over the pitch not just one source.

it is difficult to find a problem with the 'on pitch' aspect of the club, I believe that new players are almost certainly already on board for next season (if promoted obviously) and it'll be interesting to see how those clubs cope with players who want to move here but the club is asking too much for them?.

Let's have some faith for a change.

Maybe it is true, but I don't see what is to be gained by spouting off to the press about it. Cross that bridge if it comes to it, and in private - if Freeman or whoever asks for a massive hike in salary, tell him in private that it's not going to happen, and here's why. At least wait until we're bloomin' promoted before saying something in public that could be taken the wrong way by the playing staff.

I think we'd all expect success to be recognised in appropriate way; just not in the reckless manner that we got caught out by last time. Surely most contracts will have clauses in that will guarantee promotion bonuses etc but not necessarily huge and potentially unsustainable rises in basic salaries. 

A few years back I had a conversation with a member of management at City praising the idea of contracts with rules , incentives etc

He smiled and said , yeah , that's great if you can actually get the players to sign them ....

Hmmmmmm......;. Fair point

Sadly power generally sits in players and agents hands

At the moment we are an attractive force in L1 terms and that moves the power imbalance to a degree

( Still very difficult if a star player says no I want my wages, not in chunks or incentives..... Do you relent..... Or lose him.... Possibly on a free..... Incredibly difficult decisions at times )

And tbf, with the events of this season and the stadium rebuild our pedigree has grown or is growing

We may be able to recruit better players on the back of this upward motion but it will be a tough task to keep replacing players whilst maintaining or improving standards

I'm sure to be fair that SL, KD , KB & SC are realistic and sensible and in all honesty, will try and strike a good balance

Maybe it is true, but I don't see what is to be gained by spouting off to the press about it. Cross that bridge if it comes to it, and in private - if Freeman or whoever asks for a massive hike in salary, tell him in private that it's not going to happen, and here's why. At least wait until we're bloomin' promoted before saying something in public that could be taken the wrong way by the playing staff.

Ah right and then let people moan, nobody tells us **** all, sometimes I feel SL can do no right in some peoples eyes.

But in this instance he is correct, he is telling the truth, everybody knows where they stand and if any player decides to 'switch off' for the last 8 games because they fear that they won't get what they feel they are worth, **** em.

SL does say

' the days of paying over the odds are gone and have been replaced by a requirement for value for money '

That seems sensible and fair enough in any business

I can only assume he would regard he current squad as 'value for money', so everything hunky dory

With that in mind

What I find slightly 'strange' and mildly alarming He then says

'Some of the players we have now will get ahead of themselves and think that they are better than they are and want more money, which will not be appropriate.'

That to me suggests that recent years have made him extremely cynical (or maybe sensible !) regarding players and their general traits

Or

There is already a current indication of such demands

He doesn't say 'if they get ahead of themselves' he says 'will' which we all hope is , and won't be the case

Obviously we don't know the 'accuracy' of the written account of the interview though the way it is written suggest the above are SL's actual words.

He also talks about 'not paying over the odds' and I think we'd all agree with that , I still feel pretty confident that SL will return to the CCC as a wiser owner and get the balance right

Hmmmmm Interesting

As this season fast approaches its climax and the likelihood of Championship football- is it any wonder that our benefactor turns his attention to next season? He clearly has learnt a very hard lesson last time around and is determined to do things differently.

SL is certainly not one for gobbing off in the media so I suspect he chose his words carefully and with good reason. We have no idea as to what is going on behind the scenes or what current player's agents have said or any negotiations that may be occurring.

If Steve Lansdown wants to draw a line in the sand publicly as far as salaries go, then now is a pretty good time. Those people who feel it's inappropriate to do so either have very short memories or are devoid of any sense of football reality.

I think someone like Freeman would be well worthy of a pay rise, which is probably in all there contracts if they get promoted and probably more if they do it as champions. But Lansdown would think about how much it would cost to replace him to how much they can increase his wages.

Football Club owner makes it clear to players and agents that he and his club will not be held to ransom over wage demands.

ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agents and players alike, will know of the restraints put on Clubs by the FFP laws in the Championship, which also change again in 2016/17.

It's an ongoing process that needs constant monitoring, and Clubs will have to be prudent in their budgeting.

I can see us again using a smaller squad to accommodate any increase in wages.

At least any player coming to City, will know they will play some part in the team and not necessarily just a squad player.

That is a great incentive.

A few tweaks here and there, and with momentum from this season, there is no reason why we couldn't do a Bournemouth or Brentford.

Any player coming to us...will know that because of restraints, it doesn't matter how Rich SL is.

Archived