IGNORED

Club Announcement Re South Stand

As others have stated, this guy will be on the Project Team representing the client's interests. No way will he be 'Project Manager' in terms of the delivery side.

Any organisation with a 'mission critical', multi-million pound project would be looking for a suitably qualified (project management) and experienced (contracts + project management + ideally, relevant project skills set) lead person to safeguard their interests. If they don't do that they are asking for trouble, as any decent delivery-side team will have employees with bucket fulls of relevant qualifications and experience. If there is a mis-match on the Project Team, the client will be placed at a serious disadvantage as the delivery team will run circles round them.

One sometime wonders, given the off-the-field debacles involving IT, telephones, ticketing whether in the past even basic ' project management' practices were being employed down The Gate. Let's hope the Club have learnt their lessons from these past failures and that professional project management is part of our DNA. Otherwise, we're just going to shift from one crisis to the next.

The stadium will give us a good indication of what league we're in terms of our off-the-field activities; tinpot or premier league. I'm confident it's the later and the stadium project will be held up to all as representing a 'new dawn' for how to manage our off-the-field projects.

Am I completely mistaken or was he also working for the club in the not too distant past on match days sorting out the mascots etc? He was always hanging around the tunnel in a suit and had a radio on him.... Or, have I completely mistaken him for someone else?!?!

Either way, has old Percy got the project management gig through contacts rather than qualifications?

I think you might be right, I had a season ticket by the tunnel for a while and he was there every game wearing a suit and red and white tie. Could never work out who he was though, occasionally mistaken him for Skuse  :blink:

Sure. If timetables and costs are agreed ahead of time though......

It wasn't really a direct comparison, I am just well impressed by the way they don't **** about over there.

The improved Dolphin Stadium looks great. It's interesting because it's supposed to be completed around the same time as ours (Summer 2016) although theirs is a slight capacity reduction.

spoke to Steve Govette before the match and asked about the disruptions and plans for the play-offs. The steel work in front of the Dolman is currently planned to be lifted in place the week before we start in the play-offs.

There will be no new seats available for the play-offs, so we will have a capacity of approx. 13K, in his words 2K more than the Mem what ever the various other figures quoted about the Mem capacity. They had hoped that there would be some spaces in the South Stand available but it is running behind schedule. I did suggest "with tongue in cheek" that they would make a lot of people happy if they got a temp safety certificate for some standing down there, but that was clearly a sore point, "That will not happen" was the response.

Taken from the Bristol Rugby forum

spoke to Steve Govette before the match and asked about the disruptions and plans for the play-offs. The steel work in front of the Dolman is currently planned to be lifted in place the week before we start in the play-offs.

There will be no new seats available for the play-offs, so we will have a capacity of approx. 13K, in his words 2K more than the Mem what ever the various other figures quoted about the Mem capacity. They had hoped that there would be some spaces in the South Stand available but it is running behind schedule. I did suggest "with tongue in cheek" that they would make a lot of people happy if they got a temp safety certificate for some standing down there, but that was clearly a sore point, "That will not happen" was the response.

This reads to me as though we have it all wrong and that the bad news is aimed at the egg chasers and not us at all.

It seems perfectly fisable to me that the bad news will be the play off capacity for the rugger lot, I would have thought they were expecting some extra seats in the new stand, but alas as its behind that is now not going to happen.

Lets not forget that the original info from the OP came from a rugby game not football.

Im sure it will all be fine for us come the first day of next season as we take on Aston Villa at home ;)

This reads to me as though we have it all wrong and that the bad news is aimed at the egg chasers and not us at all.

It seems perfectly fisable to me that the bad news will be the play off capacity for the rugger lot, I would have thought they were expecting some extra seats in the new stand, but alas as its behind that is now not going to happen.

Lets not forget that the original info from the OP came from a rugby game not football.

Im sure it will all be fine for us come the first day of next season as we take on Aston Villa at home ;)

Yep there's a surprise BCFC fans add 2 + 2 and come up with an answer of 3.

I don't mind if it is Villa away, but I believe they will stay up(just).

I doubt if this is stage payments, probably monthly valuations.

But any client's PM or representative should be looking at the payments made compared to the original forecast valuation and a significant variation should send loud alarm bells ringing.

I can't believe Chris Booy isn't heavily involved from the Bristol Sport side, or is he?

I have done this role on several construction projects with a similar value to this rebuild without formal PM qualifications, but as you say there is the need to track actuals against forecasts. I cant believe Bristol Sport won't be doing this.

Presumably if the South Stand was significantly delayed beyond the start of next season, they would have to delay demolishing the Williams, putting the whole building project back a year.

Why would you need to delay it a whole year?

My guess is that if there is a delay to the project (which already seems evident), those due to sit in the new South Stand may temporarily be located in the Williams stand (perhaps for the first 4-5 games, for example) and then transfer across once the stand is finished, thereby enabling work on the Williams to commence. This would also fit with the claims of the original poster.

Why would you need to delay it a whole year?

My guess is that if there is a delay to the project (which already seems evident), those due to sit in the new South Stand may temporarily be located in the Williams stand (perhaps for the first 4-5 games, for example) and then transfer across once the stand is finished, thereby enabling work on the Williams to commence. This would also fit with the claims of the original poster.

If this is the case, which I suspect is the situation, then they may want to delay the announcement until the end of April.

It's difficult enough trying to contact the club now as there are thousands trying to renew season tickets. If they then open themselves to enquiries about seat moves from the South Stand to the Williams (ie, book your new temporary seat) then no-one will ever get through!

A chap from Bristol Sport was on Radio Bristol half an hour ago, and was asked the direct question "will the South Stand be ready for the start of the new season", to which he answered DEFINITELY!

Also said that the Williams will start to be demolished straight after the last rugby game.

A chap from Bristol Sport was on Radio Bristol half an hour ago, and was asked the direct question "will the South Stand be ready for the start of the new season", to which he answered DEFINITELY!

Also said that the Williams will start to be demolished straight after the last rugby game.

Twas Andrew Billingham

just thinking that ...another 3 pages of reading of my life im never getting back...groan

I'm a retired old stager.  This may be rubbish, but it's better rubbish than watching daytime TV

Archived