IGNORED

Gary Johnson

timothy bird

As much as I love City I despair at some of the 'support' we get at the club, so much small minded hate at certain persons that have either played for City or managed us. All this vitriol aimed at either Lee or Gary is embarrising and does nothing except make us look like like some cheapskate small minded lot, but the strangest thing is why? Considering Gary's record as a manager, and Lee's efforts on the field,for the life of me I fail to see WHY?

Wonderfully subtle reference to the previous fish thread.

"Better than that" very disrespectful. We won and played you off the park in 2006 at AG.

Was that the game when our players were severely affected by witnessing a horrific injury to their former team mate?

I've no grief with Chltenham at all and would love to see them stay up and progress. Gary can be great at getting something out of nothing but he has a heck of a challenge to turn around Cheltenham, but I actually think he will do it.

I like GJ and I like Cheltenham but I worry about how successful this move will be.

His previous successes have been at clubs where he is in a position to recruit and build a squad he wants. His failures have been where he either cannot do that, or has made mistakes in doing so.

He was able to save City from relegation in his first season because he had 6 months, a transfer window and the facility to make a number of loan signings, not just to improve the squad but to make a point to the existing players. He won't have that luxury at Cheltenham. If he drops a hand grenade, he can't just recruit new players to replace the ones he's alienated. He has to motivate the players he has and he has to do it quickly.

If he's fortunate enough to inherit a squad that responds to his style of motivation then he might do it. If they don't then they could be in big trouble.

Having said all that, he might well be a good choice to lead them in the future, whether they stay up or go down, but that's not what he's been hired to do at the moment.

Seems an odd move to me. He's gone from the bottom of Lge 1 to the bottom of Lge 2.

On a bit of a hiding to nothing I reckon.

It's local. A bit of a scoop for Cheltenham, ignore this season and they will be getting an ex Championship manager with plenty of lower league experience, and as I said can get something out of nothing. Cheltenham have everything to gain, it's a gamble and perhaps their best hope.

Gary on the other hand will get a few weeks pay, something to do and maybe a huge bonus if he achieves the almost impossible, and gets to live at home. If he fails it int going to look too bad on his CV is it.

I like GJ and I like Cheltenham but I worry about how successful this move will be.

His previous successes have been at clubs where he is in a position to recruit and build a squad he wants. His failures have been where he either cannot do that, or has made mistakes in doing so.

He was able to save City from relegation in his first season because he had 6 months, a transfer window and the facility to make a number of loan signings, not just to improve the squad but to make a point to the existing players. He won't have that luxury at Cheltenham. If he drops a hand grenade, he can't just recruit new players to replace the ones he's alienated. He has to motivate the players he has and he has to do it quickly.

If he's fortunate enough to inherit a squad that responds to his style of motivation then he might do it. If they don't then they could be in big trouble.

Having said all that, he might well be a good choice to lead them in the future, whether they stay up or go down, but that's not what he's been hired to do at the moment.

Chance to add another achievement to a CV already packed full of them? If he doesn't keep them up then no harm done for him as he only had 7 games. I think he will delve into huge locker of managerial talents and will get them out of this mess. If he does keep them up then promotion certainly awaits them next season with potentially a double promotion on the cards...

Cheltenham are my third team behind City & Bath City so would be great to see them stay up..

Chance to add another achievement to a CV already packed full of them? If he doesn't keep them up then no harm done for him as he only had 7 games. I think he will delve into huge locker of managerial talents and will get them out of this mess. If he does keep them up then promotion certainly awaits them next season with potentially a double promotion on the cards...

Cheltenham are my third team behind City & Bath City so would be great to see them stay up..

Eh?

Looks like a FACT! to me!

It's local. A bit of a scoop for Cheltenham, ignore this season and they will be getting an ex Championship manager with plenty of lower league experience, and as I said can get something out of nothing. Cheltenham have everything to gain, it's a gamble and perhaps their best hope.

Gary on the other hand will get a few weeks pay, something to do and maybe a huge bonus if he achieves the almost impossible, and gets to live at home. If he fails it int going to look too bad on his CV is it.

Its the ideal job for him, despite Cheltenham's position they are a well run outfit with a tidy ground, so hope he does well there, I might even pop in and have a look.  

I have no love whatsoever for Cheltenham Town, not sure I want them to go non league again, but I certainly don't want to see them do well, so this appointment has stuffed me a bit

You can shove your ******* 'Cheltenhamshire' chants up your arse, where your shit, presumably, doesn't stink

"Better than that" very disrespectful. We won and played you off the park in 2006 at AG.

Have you waited 9 years to be able to mention that on here!?

FWIW - I thought the 'better than that' remark was out of order too, but I'm glad you have closure for 2006 now!

I have no love whatsoever for Cheltenham Town, not sure I want them to go non league again, but I certainly don't want to see them do well, so this appointment has stuffed me a bit

You can shove your ******* 'Cheltenhamshire' chants up your arse, where your shit, presumably, doesn't stink

Odd reaction, well perhaps not considering this is OTIB, like I say a well run club and now with a very good manager, hope they stay up.   

Odd reaction, well perhaps not considering this is OTIB, like I say a well run club and now with a very good manager, hope they stay up.   

Odd in what way, because you disagree?

'A well run club'? Three managers in a season would lead me to think otherwise

Odd reaction, well, perhaps not, considering this is OTIB

From what I am lead to believe Cheltenham have no funds to pay for a Manager after paying to put two managers on "gardening leave" this season already & that includes that turnip, Buckle; so he must be doing it for no wages.

It just goes to show the perilous state of clubs below the Premier League. It makes me laugh when I here on local radio "fans" of other local clubs be it league or non league calling for the manager to be sacked or the board to get out or we need to sign a 20 goal a season striker! 

Good luck to him & I hope he can work his magic and keep them up as its a great club.

Its a Gloucestershire thing isnt it Woodsy ;) outsiders wouldnt understand.

Didn't realise they had Danny Haynes, a Johnson signing right? Him and Burns up top, they'll start winning games at that level soon enough.

Well as Wes has done (he was on international duty last week) it hasn't happened so far, has it?

With only seven games to save them, (including Wycombe and Shrewsbury) this looks a tougher job than any he's taken before and much as I like GJ I think they'll be a non league club come August.

Only what you saw, I was making a serious point regarding how GJ and Lee , however I am aware that you find the most every day run of the mill things funny somehow.

Still, it is your world I guess.

Actually, I was alluding simply to the fact that, presumably due to pure coincidence, you had used the words cheapskate and lot in your post, which made me smile to myself - in all innocence, I thought I would share my amusement with you.

You are correct, however, that I do try to find the best in people and, in my world, I find this makes me a happier (and hopefully better) person.

Your serious point regarding how GJ and Lee.... has been lost on me, however, as, well, you don't seem to have made any point.

Well as Wes has done (he was on international duty last week) it hasn't happened so far, has it?

With only seven games to save them, (including Wycombe and Shrewsbury) this looks a tougher job than any he's taken before and much as I like GJ I think they'll be a non league club come August.

With hopefully a nice Vanarama derby match just down the M5 for them. (No, not FGR)

He will take Cheltenham down the road he took Yeovil. His management style, not undoubted ability will get Chelts in trouble.

Motivation, fitness, pride no problem, he has those attitributes in spades, BUT, abrasive relationships with players, particular those with higher league experience, buying or loaning donkies, like Savage, Akinde, Styvar will be. and his scouting isnt that good, nor is the lack of opportunities for youngsters bode well for the long term.

Cheltenham like Yeovil cant afford many mistakes.

The sooner we are the only West Country team the better

He's taken Yeovil to a relegation position, Cheltenham look like they have a miracle to preform, then there's the gas.

In 2 years time we could be the only league team in the area with an academy, we could be picking up every young talent from Penzance to symonds yat. Surely this must be a positive, for us at least.q

I just want what's best for us, couldn't care less about Gary, lee, Danny, Derrick, Sean etc.

Nowt personal but I just want the best for BCFC.

I've a feeling that Cheltenham have a decent squad, they've now got a very good motivator, I can only see positive things for them.

I'd like burns back though asap for the good of his future and as an added option to run the channels with tiring defences and his blistering pace.

Cheltenham handily placed to give our youngsters a run out occasionally mind ;)

The sooner we are the only West Country team the better

He's taken Yeovil to a relegation position, Cheltenham look like they have a miracle to preform, then there's the gas.

In 2 years time we could be the only league team in the area with an academy, we could be picking up every young talent from Penzance to symonds yat. Surely this must be a positive, for us at least.q

I just want what's best for us, couldn't care less about Gary, lee, Danny, Derrick, Sean etc.

Nowt personal but I just want the best for BCFC.

I've a feeling that Cheltenham have a decent squad, they've now got a very good motivator, I can only see positive things for them.

I'd like burns back though asap for the good of his future and as an added option to run the channels with tiring defences and his blistering pace.

Cheltenham handily placed to give our youngsters a run out on loan occasionally mind ;)

Yes the manager musical chairs proves me wrong on that one, but I guess you have to kiss a few frogs before you find your Prince, that is Gary :shifty:  

Archived