IGNORED

Windies V England 2Nd Test Grenada.

Robbored

Windies first innings 299 all out. England 138-1 first innings after 55 overs. Cook 65 n.on and Trott made a half century.

Much better performance all round - so far

Well of course apart from an age old problem of removing the last wicket partnership of 52 runs this time, something that world class teams tend to do with ease.

Well of course apart from an age old problem of removing the last wicket partnership of 52 runs this time, something that world class teams tend to do with ease.

No-one is claiming that England are world class. Their frailties are there for all to see.

That said, the Windies are finding it difficult as well on what is a very unresponsive wicket.

Ridiculous to play Stokes and Jordan. With Ali not bowling well we don't look very dangerous. Wood or Plunkett need to play, or both, in the next test.

No idea why we are playing a part time spinner in Ali, guess he was picked for his batting but the issue was always going to be getting 20 wickets on those dead pitches.

Honestly I'm not sure what anyone sees in Jordan. The bowler that is. In fact I'm not sure what anyone sees in Jordan as a holiday resort either. Or Katie Price.

Although I suppose Eddie Jordan is okish, and Michael Jordan was pretty good at what he did.

Jordan Henderson seems to have come good recently tho.

In short, Jordan is crap, dangerous, slutty, ok, mesmerising and ok for Liverpool.

Honestly I'm not sure what anyone sees in Jordan. The bowler that is.

He's got pace, real pace regularly bowling at 85-90mph. In the right conditions he can get the ball swinging as well. That's something Broad rarely does. His 'problem' is his inexperience at test level.

In the past the selectors have been criticised for not giving new players enough of a chance to establish themselves but Jordan is an example of that changing.

He's got pace, real pace regularly bowling at 85-90mph. In the right conditions he can get the ball swinging as well. That's something Broad rarely does. His 'problem' is his inexperience at test level.

In the past the selectors have been criticised for not giving new players enough of a chance to establish themselves but Jordan is an example of that changing.

He gets about 3.5 balls an over on the spot. Not good enough.

Was the last chance to give Lyth or whoever an easier introduction to test match cricket too.

Still, my main worry is the persistence with four medium to medium fast seamers on these pitches. I'd have brought Plunkett and another spinner in for Stokes and Jordan.

bowling front they haven't done much wrong, I do like Jordan as he's handy with ball and bat, Broad and Anderson are as reliable as ever, Stokes and Ali also handy bowlers even root should be bowled a bit more,

the top order is a shambles and has been for almost 2 years not, we havent replaced Straus 

bowling front they haven't done much wrong, I do like Jordan as he's handy with ball and bat, Broad and Anderson are as reliable as ever, Stokes and Ali also handy bowlers even root should be bowled a bit more,

the top order is a shambles and has been for almost 2 years not, we havent replaced Straus 

I think you need a bit more to get 20 wickets on these pitches. The last match was meandering to a bore draw until an unbelievable spell from Anderson. England don't need the extra batting of Jordan and Stokes and I think it's negative to select them over better bowlers. It'd solve the problem of batting Jos at eight as well, a waste in my view.

I think you need a bit more to get 20 wickets on these pitches. The last match was meandering to a bore draw until an unbelievable spell from Anderson. England don't need the extra batting of Jordan and Stokes and I think it's negative to select them over better bowlers. It'd solve the problem of batting Jos at eight as well, a waste in my view.

I disagree we do need the extra batting because of the constant top order failings

How many times have root and bell dug us out of the shit in the last 18 months?

I disagree we do need the extra batting because of the constant top order failings

How many times have root and bell dug us out of the shit in the last 18 months?

I think you're missing the point a bit, Monk. I'm not suggesting that England drop any 'recognised' batsmen, I'm suggesting that they might consider picking bowlers primarily on their ability to bowl rather than whether they can bat a bit as well. It's not as if Jordan in particular has been getting big scores at number nine either, indeed, Plunkett's first class average is actually better than his.

When you've got a class act like Buttler batting at 8 I think it's ridiculous to worry about 'weakening the batting' in favour of two more out and out bowlers. You talk about failure but actually all of the top eight have got scores at some point on this tour. Fair enough Cook hasn't got a century for a zillion years but he appears to be slowly resembling the great player he was. Trott hasn't looked good at all and I think that experiment should end but even he's contributed a 50 in this series. I think that Jordan and Stokes are good players but I don't think either are particularly threatening bowlers, hopefully they'll prove me wrong but I fear for England taking on NZ and Australia with this attack.

This series would have been the perfect place to experiment with the attack. Sadly England are determined to pick three seamers (four if you count Stokes) and a part-time (albeit rapidly improving) spinner regardless of the pitch and conditions.

Archived