IGNORED

Windies V England 2Nd Test Grenada.

Robbored

Nope. Three quicks and one spinner and then Root to bowl as well.

Most teams play four bowlers now. Not a problem. What we don't need are the players that are 'okay' at bowling and batting ala Jordan and Stokes. Pick best bowlers and best batsmen.

And what a batting line up that is!

For me not sure 3 seamers is enough if you don't have a decent spinner.

Strauss out.

Strauss has just said KP is not banned from playing for England but is not in their plans for the summer.  What a stupid thing to do. It's pretty clear to everyone now that they don't want him involved, so just come out and say it. All he's done now is leave a big cloud hanging over the NZ and AUS series'. Every bad day that England have will draw more and more calls for KP to be brought back.

He just had the chance to put the whole thing to bed and state that KP would never play again (which is what they want) but he blew it. Doesn't augur well for the future.

Strauss has just said KP is not banned from playing for England but is not in their plans for the summer.  What a stupid thing to do. It's pretty clear to everyone now that they don't want him involved, so just come out and say it. All he's done now is leave a big cloud hanging over the NZ and AUS series'. Every bad day that England have will draw more and more calls for KP to be brought back.

He just had the chance to put the whole thing to bed and state that KP would never play again (which is what they want) but he blew it. Doesn't augur well for the future.

Spot on. Obvious to everyone he will never be picked again so just ******* say it instead of the usual bollox from everyone involved at the ECB.

According to Strauss (must have been a different interview) it's a matter of trust between Pietersen and the ECB. There is none apparently. Could be partly down to KP texting his countrymen during the SA series in England.

According to Strauss (must have been a different interview) it's a matter of trust between Pietersen and the ECB. There is none apparently. Could be partly down to KP texting his countrymen during the SA series in England.

Which is understandable but like GR said just say he will never be picked again instead of saying this summer then we can be done with it.

this must be a joke?Andrew Strauss reveals he offered @KP24 an advisory role with the England limited overs team which Pietersen declined #bbccricket

Incredible isn't it.

Kevin, you aren't allowed to play for the England one day team but please can you tell us how to improve it? You aren't allowed to suggest picking the best available team, obviously.

Incredible isn't it.

Kevin, you aren't allowed to play for the England one day team but please can you tell us how to improve it? You aren't allowed to suggest picking the best available team, obviously.

Staggering.

Don't you love the ECB? Peter Trego had some good words on Twitter - when has trust won a game.. Do you play with flair (like he does) or toe the line to get a game..

Won't have just been the texts with the saffers, he slated a fair few in his book as well. If he wanted a way back into the England team he should have kept his mouth shut and released the book after his career, but no, it had to be about him then right at the time. If you picked him you'd potentially lose some of the established current players too. A split dressing room is never good, for all everyone saying when has trust ever won you a game etc, complete bollocks, personal experience of playing sport, when someone causes rifts in teams it always ends badly due to the bad feeling created within the team.

My team would look something like:

1) Cook

2) Lyth/Hales

3) Ballance

4) Bell

5) Root

6) Taylor/Stokes/Ali (depends on pitch)

7) Buttler

8) Rashid

9) Broad

10) Plunkett

11) Anderson/Finn

Won't have just been the texts with the saffers, he slated a fair few in his book as well. If he wanted a way back into the England team he should have kept his mouth shut and released the book after his career, but no, it had to be about him then right at the time. If you picked him you'd potentially lose some of the established current players too. A split dressing room is never good, for all everyone saying when has trust ever won you a game etc, complete bollocks, personal experience of playing sport, when someone causes rifts in teams it always ends badly due to the bad feeling created within the team.

1) Cook

2) Lyth/Hales

3) Ballance

4) Bell

5) Root

7) Buttler

8) Rashid

9) Broad

10) Plunkett

11) Anderson/Finn

Hang on, are you saying you might not pick Anderson?

1) Cook

2) Lyth/Hales

3) Ballance

4) Bell

5) Root

7) Buttler

8) Rashid

9) Broad

10) Plunkett

11) Anderson/Finn

I agree, but as was discussed on talksport this morning, Sheringham and Cole wouldn't say 2 words to each other the year they won the treble. Gilchrist and Warne, apparently, couldn't stand each other, yet were the most successful WK / Bowler combo in test history. Will Carling was not popular when he captained the Rugby team.

I'd say, as long as everyone in the same team has the same desire to succeed, a few bruised egos shouldn't come into it.

Can't imagine the Aussies letting a few 'sticks and stones' get in their way.

I agree, but as was discussed on talksport this morning, Sheringham and Cole wouldn't say 2 words to each other the year they won the treble. Gilchrist and Warne, apparently, couldn't stand each other, yet were the most successful WK / Bowler combo in test history. Will Carling was not popular when he captained the Rugby team.

I'd say, as long as everyone in the same team has the same desire to succeed, a few bruised egos shouldn't come into it.

Can't imagine the Aussies letting a few 'sticks and stones' get in their way.

thats all true, but Pieterson is playing in div 2 against div 2 attacks, its like calling up Joe Garner for England because he scored 20 goals in league 2,

If Kevin wanted to really get back in he would of gone to a county side playing in Div One, he is trying and failing to play the victim card,

a famous mand once said I didn't screw Kp, KP screwed KP,

and frankly our problem isn't the middle order, its opening batsman and our bowling attack if Anderson doesn't perform, somthing KP wouldn't improve if he came back into the squad

thats all true, but Pieterson is playing in div 2 against div 2 attacks, its like calling up Joe Garner for England because he scored 20 goals in league 2,

If Kevin wanted to really get back in he would of gone to a county side playing in Div One, he is trying and failing to play the victim card,

and frankly our problem isn't the middle order, its opening batsman and our bowling attack if Anderson doesn't perform, somthing KP wouldn't improve if he came back into the squad

Not sure really there is much difference between division one and 2.

I never rated Strauss as a skipper, commentator and I certainly don't rate the bloke as a coach. The fact he offered KP to play limited over games is comical!

He explained that by saying that KP has a wealth of knowledge and experience in the T20 and ODI game having played it all over the world and that knowledge would be very valuable in any think tank aimed at improving England's non test match cricket. He also pointed out that it would be an opportunity to repair the trust gap between KP and the ECB.

Seems like an olive branch to me. It's up to KP to take it.

It's like nothing of the sort!!!! KP has scored over 8000 runs in Test cricket, he's got nothing to prove.

Strauss and the ECB have a problem with KP, and that's fine, but don't fudge the issue by saying he won't be considered this summer, because we all know it's BS.

He'll never play for England again, just have the spuds to say it, because we'll have all this raked back up in the autumn when they're selecting a squad for South Africa. They're probably waiting until they can use his age against him.

Gutless.

Pretty sure they said it when his contract was cancelled. And at the start of the season said he'd have to do exceptionally well, 1 knock doesn't qualify as exceptionally well.

That's not what Colin Graves said.

"The first thing he's got to do if he wants to get back is play county cricket for somebody,"

"Forget personalities," said Graves. "Selectors pick the best players in form, taking wickets and scoring runs. That is their job."

The chairman of the ECB shouldn't come out with these things if there's no chance of him getting back in.

I'm not bothered either way if KP plays again or not, but by saying at the start of the summer that the door's still open, now practically closing it, but not locking it, this will rumble on and on, and it can't be good for the game. This is a cloud that will hang over the Ashes series and you can bet the media won't shut about it. All that could have been avoided by saying his time was up.

glyn on his last 10 tests he struggled and wouldn't get in the side on that basis alone,

KP hasn't been good enough for england's test side for a long time,

That's not the issue Monk. When you're sat watching the Ashes in the summer and England have a bad day(s) with the bat, the likes of Botham and Warne will be clamouring for a Pietersen recall. Had Strauss come out this morning and said it will never happen, the issue would have gone away. As it it, this summer will be a media circus.

That's not the issue Monk. When you're sat watching the Ashes in the summer and England have a bad day(s) with the bat, the likes of Botham and Warne will be clamouring for a Pietersen recall. Had Strauss come out this morning and said it will never happen, the issue would have gone away. As it it, this summer will be a media circus.

and thats the issue straus has said as if england struggle it will deflect media attention away from cook

That's not what Colin Graves said.

"The first thing he's got to do if he wants to get back is play county cricket for somebody,"

"Forget personalities," said Graves. "Selectors pick the best players in form, taking wickets and scoring runs. That is their job."

The chairman of the ECB shouldn't come out with these things if there's no chance of him getting back in.

I'm not bothered either way if KP plays again or not, but by saying at the start of the summer that the door's still open, now practically closing it, but not locking it, this will rumble on and on, and it can't be good for the game. This is a cloud that will hang over the Ashes series and you can bet the media won't shut about it. All that could have been avoided by saying his time was up.

Yeah Graves said KP needed to score runs, he's done it in one innings against a county.

Had Strauss come out this morning and said it will never happen, the issue would have gone away. As it it, this summer will be a media circus.

Strauss said the Pietersen is not in England's plans for this summer and that KP knows that having met with Strauss and Graves yesterday.

This summer......to me that means that KPs immediate future is to continue scoring runs at county level and not expect to be recalled this summer. If I were KPs advisor I'd tell him to keep scoring runs. Stay silent about wanting to play for England and accept Strausses offer to join the T20 and ODI think tank. That IMO would be the start of the healing the trust gulf between him and the ECB. His undoubted batting quality is not the issue.

Strauss said the Pietersen is not in England's plans for this summer and that KP knows that having met with Strauss and Graves yesterday.

This summer......to me that means that KPs immediate future is to continue scoring runs at county level and not expect to be recalled this summer. If I were KPs advisor I'd tell him to keep scoring runs. Stay silent about wanting to play for England and accept Strausses offer to join the T20 and ODI think tank. That IMO would be the start of the healing the trust gulf between him and the ECB. His undoubted batting quality is not the issue.

Agreed. If he wants to be involved with England, this seems a logical move to rebuild some bridges.

However, I've no doubt he'll never play again and I fully expect his age to be an issue when the selectors meet in the Autumn for the SA tour.

Archived