IGNORED

Latest Lunacy From Ferguson!

Slippin cider

The clear indication is that people in Bristol couldn't be arsed.

In which case, Bristol has no right to moan about what red trousers gets up to on our behalf.

He got 35.13% of the votes, in an election with a turnout of 27.92%.

This means less than 10% of Bristol's electorate voted for him, although that is mainly a result of voter apathy.

Now its obvious what power the mayor has there may be a higher turnout next time, but when less than 2 in 3 people vote in general elections I can't imagine it being much higher.

Our glorious red trouser wearing idiot has declared that one of Bristols busiest routes ,namely the A4 Portway will be closed to traffic on 5 Sunday's starting in May in order to please cyclists, tree huggers and people who have an allergy to cars!!! .....if it starts on May 3rd when we're at home it'll be utter chaos!! ....this bloke is an utter clown and nothing short of a dictator!!! .....let's hope he's OUT of office sooner rather than later!!!!!

The statement says "five Sundays in May" so yes to total chaos getting to and from Ashton Gate v Walsall. Bloody lunatic!

much the same as in all local elections...

Not unusual alas.

What is clear from the various George Ferguson threads we've had here, is Bristolians went to the polls with a very fuzzy notion of what an elected mayor could do - and what he can't.

As most of you people didn't vote for anyone (the stats indicate this) then it either means you didn't care who won, or that you couldn't tell them apart, or that you're a hypocrite who didn't vote, but want to complain anyway.

The fact is that the Portway does close a number of times each year eg. The big cycle thing once a year, the marathon, the half marathon (not sure, as never done that one) and the 10k, and life goes on alright, there are alternative routes, some of which a pretty good. I have no strong feelings either way as I don't live in Bristol (too expensive) but I do use it for my commute, albeit not on a Sunday. Most people seem to completely ignore the fact that the gorge is a pretty amazing place, one of the most dramatic valley's in the country which goes to within a mile of the city centre. Maybe George thinks that the people there should get a chance to use it or go and have a look at it without a bloody motorway hammering up and down there all day long. I understand that when the Portway was originally built it was the most expensive road ever built in the country, and I'm pretty sure that the road would never be allowed to be built today, because of cost and the fact that it'll ruin such an amazing valley. Reckon there's a chance that you guys would've complained about that too.

George probably understands that there will always be a bunch of flat earth whingers who complain about everything that's suggested, and then complain that nothing ever gets done in Bristol.

Let's be honest, there's a fairly good chance that you won't even vote next week.

As most of you people didn't vote for anyone (the stats indicate this) then it either means you didn't care who won, or that you couldn't tell them apart, or that you're a hypocrite who didn't vote, but want to complain anyway.

The fact is that the Portway does close a number of times each year eg. The big cycle thing once a year, the marathon, the half marathon (not sure, as never done that one) and the 10k, and life goes on alright, there are alternative routes, some of which a pretty good. I have no strong feelings either way as I don't live in Bristol (too expensive) but I do use it for my commute, albeit not on a Sunday. Most people seem to completely ignore the fact that the gorge is a pretty amazing place, one of the most dramatic valley's in the country which goes to within a mile of the city centre. Maybe George thinks that the people there should get a chance to use it or go and have a look at it without a bloody motorway hammering up and down there all day long. I understand that when the Portway was originally built it was the most expensive road ever built in the country, and I'm pretty sure that the road would never be allowed to be built today, because of cost and the fact that it'll ruin such an amazing valley. Reckon there's a chance that you guys would've complained about that too.

George probably understands that there will always be a bunch of flat earth whingers who complain about everything that's suggested, and then complain that nothing ever gets done in Bristol.

Let's be honest, there's a fairly good chance that you won't even vote next week.

Half marathon goes down the Portway done it several times and so do loads of other City lads. 15000 on it this year so of course roads will have to be shut. the Portway will also get shut for another few sporting events plus the big bike ride. Will be at those as will loads of other City fans. all good but it seems fans of a sport want to ban exercise on here.

To be fair the BP article is woefully bad and portrays it is next weekend onwards

If that's the case then my statement is aimed at the BP not the OP :)!

Still a load of old nonsense from a self serving self promoter.

But has not got nothing to do with football so at the very least this is in the wrong forum, it should be in non-football chat where people can talk about apathetic Bristolians, if they can be bothered to do so of course :).

Voted every time i've been able to since I turned 18 thanks :)

I watched the film Selma over the weekend and I see it is being used in schools and colleges across the US to encourage people to use their vote. When you see what some people will go through to get a vote they are deprived of, it should be a wake up call for all.

Not unusual alas.

What is clear from the various George Ferguson threads we've had here, is Bristolians went to the polls with a very fuzzy notion of what an elected mayor could do - and what he can't.

So, alas does the clown cyclist himself :(

Methinks you miss the point.

If the Portway is closed for marathons etc, this is known well in advance.

But should it be closed this coming Sunday at such short notice, what a serious inconvenience to many of the 12,000 or so going to Ashton Gate for a 12.15pm kick off on a Sunday when public transport is severely less than a Saturday.

And fans from Walsall would use this route also.

Selfish and badly thought out decision!

Methinks you miss the point.

If the Portway is closed for marathons etc, this is known well in advance.

But should it be closed this coming Sunday at such short notice, what a serious inconvenience to many of the 12,000 or so going to Ashton Gate for a 12.15pm kick off on a Sunday when public transport is severely less than a Saturday.

And fans from Walsall would use this route also.

Selfish and badly thought out decision!

Read the thread fully! Its been proved already its not being shut this weekend.

The statement says "five Sundays in May" so yes to total chaos getting to and from Ashton Gate v Walsall. Bloody lunatic!

The report actually states .'5 Sunday's STARTING in May' it wasn't specific on dates and indeed it does start in May but not, as has since been stated until the end of the month thus avoiding the Walsall game thankfully. He's still a total **** !

The report actually states .'5 Sunday's STARTING in May' it wasn't specific on dates and indeed it does start in May but not, as has since been stated until the end of the month thus avoiding the Walsall game thankfully. He's still a total **** !

Which doesn't make it any less crazy. Why inflict extra traffic on the streets of North West Bristol so a few Lycra Louts can have a jolly day out?

A story: We decided to go for a walk on one of these car-free days, along the pavement of the Portway, and were cursed by one of these scrotes, because he was a "Proper Cyclist" and needed to use the pavement :facepalm:

Which doesn't make it any less crazy. Why inflict extra traffic on the streets of North West Bristol so a few Lycra Louts can have a jolly day out?

A story: We decided to go for a walk on one of these car-free days, along the pavement of the Portway, and were cursed by one of these scrotes, because he was a "Proper Cyclist" and needed to use the pavement :facepalm:

Sundays are not work days for 95% of us. Few people "need" to drive that way on a Sunday and I doubt it'll have vast implications elsewhere.

Given the state of some of the blobs I see wobbling around Bristol and the cost of obesity related illness to the NHS, I think encouraging more people to walk and cycle occasionally is hardly a bad thing.

There is already a path wide enough for both pedestrians and cyclists to use, why take away the road that car users pay a tax to drive on. The man is a complete joke :grr:

A common misconception is that car drivers pay 'road tax', there is no such thing. We all pay Vehicle Excise Duty (which is based on emissions).

The roads are funded from central taxes not VED so the argument to a cyclist, horse (low emission car!) that they do not pay road tax so should not be on the road is one born out of ignorance.

More people attend some of these events than Ashton Gate.

As a kids football coach I hope to see Bristol City's Community Trust involved in some way - Child obesity in the UK is nothing to be proud off.

Sundays are not work days for 95% of us. Few people "need" to drive that way on a Sunday and I doubt it'll have vast implications elsewhere.

Given the state of some of the blobs I see wobbling around Bristol and the cost of obesity related illness to the NHS, I think encouraging more people to walk and cycle occasionally is hardly a bad thing.

And when we walkers are driven off the footpaths by Lycra Louts?

More people attend some of these events than Ashton Gate.

As a kids football coach I hope to see Bristol City's Community Trust involved in some way - Child obesity in the UK is nothing to be proud off.

I totally agree! People should be encouraged to do more exercise . Especially children, who, these days seem to be permenantly attached to an electronic device of some description or gaming indoors . But closing one of the city's main arterial routes is a bit much IMO . There are many green open spaces in the city as well as cycle routes and paths without the need to disrupt traffic and inconvenience people who either don't want to take part/have to work etc.

Archived