IGNORED

Latest Lunacy From Ferguson!

Slippin cider

There are many green open spaces in the city as well as cycle routes and paths without the need to disrupt traffic and inconvenience people who either don't want to take part/have to work etc.

The Big bike ride attracts thousands and has multiple routes including those of thirty miles plus. The Bristol half marathon has over ten thousands runners. Using the Portway is logical and sensible.

Using occasional Sundays, and they are occasional Sundays for these major events will inconvenience very few.

And when we walkers are driven off the footpaths by Lycra Louts?

I've had a run in with a **** cyclist as well - in a rare foray into North Bristol - and it's fair to say it's as near as I've come to fisticuffs for many years.

However you can't demonise every cyclist, just because some are self-righteous pillocks. Some people become arseholes when they get behind a steering wheel too!

Read the thread fully! Its been proved already its not being shut this weekend.

At my age it is called either senility or stupidity. Well spotted that I am suffering from both.

PS. Seen on toilet door in my local doctors this morning.

"This toilet is out of order. Apologies for any inconvenience"!

I've had a run in with a **** cyclist as well - in a rare foray into North Bristol - and it's fair to say it's as near as I've come to fisticuffs for many years.

However you can't demonise every cyclist, just because some are self-righteous pillocks. Some people become arseholes when they get behind a steering wheel too!

To be fair, Gloucester Road is probably more pillock-infested than anywhere else in Bristol.

It's all about proportionality; does the action justify the purpose? Given how close the Portway is to the downs, ashton court, green space at Ashton Vale..., Ashton Park, all the green space just off the portway blah blah blah I don't see how it could possibly be justified.

What is a much better thing to do is to organise and promote and publicise a sporting/fitness jolly on one of these vast spaces in and around the portway which are available all year round! Sounds much more sensible and more importantly sustainable than come and enjoy a cycle ride in conditions which can be replicated up to 5 times a year. Waste of time, waste of money and with the knock on effect it will have throughout the city not very bloody green at all.

It really is a poor advert and poor initiative.

A common misconception is that car drivers pay 'road tax', there is no such thing. We all pay Vehicle Excise Duty (which is based on emissions).

The roads are funded from central taxes not VED so the argument to a cyclist, horse (low emission car!) that they do not pay road tax so should not be on the road is one born out of ignorance.

We all know that there is no such thing as 'road tax', we get told by the anti car brigade often enough.

If VED does not go into the pot labelled 'central taxes' then where does it go and what is it used for? Would it not be a reasonable assumption to make that the tax you pay for having a vehicle on the road would be at least partially used to facilitate your use of said vehicle?

Of course cyclists and horses have the right to use the road as well, but it can get very frustrating when stuck in a queue because everyone is slowing down for a horse being ridden in a completely unsuitable urban area, or cyclists that think they have the right to ride three abreast and stop any cars going past them. There are idiot users of all forms of transport, and the 'holier than thou' attitude shown by many non-car users only serves to wind people up the wrong way and promote disharmony on our already overcrowded roads.

What is a much better thing to do is to organise and promote and publicise a sporting/fitness jolly on one of these vast spaces in and around the portway which are available all year round! Sounds much more sensible and more importantly sustainable than come and enjoy a cycle ride in conditions which can be replicated up to 5 times a year. Waste of time, waste of money and with the knock on effect it will have throughout the city not very bloody green at all.

Which is being proposed alongside these large events which have to use the Portway due to their attendance, and length of routes.

Living in Portishead I didn't get a vote, living in Portishead closing the Portway deprives me of my preferred route on match days.

This has been confusing me and I've hardly slept a wink all night.

Why on earth would you drive to Avonmouth from Portishead when the route through Abbots Leigh is quicker, less traffic and more direct?

I'm seriously worried about your carbon footprint on match days.

Am I missing the point here but why would we need to close the Portway for cyclists when there are numerous cycle paths / routes / The Downs / Ashton Court .............,,,

We all know knobead red trousers real reason

Perhaps we could close the M5 for a bit of pedal car racing

If VED does not go into the pot labelled 'central taxes' then where does it go and what is it used for? Would it not be a reasonable assumption to make that the tax you pay for having a vehicle on the road would be at least partially used to facilitate your use of said vehicle?

No, you are probably right but then the tax paid on buying a bike, horses saddle etc could also find its way to funding some of the transport infrastructure. The problem is a lot of drivers think that they alone pay for using the roads through 'road tax' and that gives them a right to be on the road - it does not, the law decides who can use the road.

I agree with what you say about some non-driving road users causing conflict, it works both ways though. People quite often have to protect themselves on a push bike though to stop people overtaking on blind bends and then cutting in. If you ride in the gutter then you have no-where to go when someone cuts in. There is also a worrying trend for 'punishment passes' (look on YouTube). This has happened to me on local roads and it is pretty frightening. I am not sure what goes through some driver's minds but in my view it is close to attempted manslaughter.

There are idiot cyclists, drivers, football fans... the list goes on. All you can try to do is not be part of the stereotype.

Am I missing the point here but why would we need to close the Portway for cyclists when there are numerous cycle paths / routes / The Downs / Ashton Court .............,,,

Yes you are missing the point.

The Portway will be closed for existing events e.g Bristol half Marathon/Big bike ride. The intent is also to use the areas adjacent to the Portway more freely in unison with these events creating car free Parks for climbers/kids/ramblers activities etc.

For just five days a year on Sundays!

Which is being proposed alongside these large events which have to use the Portway due to their attendance, and length of routes.

I'll stick my neck out and call bollox on the due to their attendance - Hindsight will inform me whether I am correct or not.

I'd wager there will be relatively poor attendance, as an alternative you could have an amnesty of say 60 minutes at the start and end of the day to allow for large scale travelling minus cars, maintaining the portway open to traffic otherwise. I'm sure that will be more than plenty.

The portway did not have to be used at all. It's a lack of creativity and imagination to use the Portway. If the big aim is to get people out cycling what better way than work with Sustrans to show on-road cycle routes throughout the city to attend these events?

I'll stick my neck out and call bollox on the due to their attendance - Hindsight will inform me whether I am correct or not.

This years Bristol Half Marathon will have up to 15000 runners. It is thirteen miles long. Thousands watch it. Its a course including the Portway that has been used by a World Championship [Radcliffe/Tergat].

Would you rather Bristol did not have these events now and in future because fatties cannot lose their cars once in a blue moon??

This years Bristol Half Marathon will have up to 15000 runners. It is thirteen miles long. Thousands watch it. Its a course including the Portway that has been used by a World Championship [Radcliffe/Tergat].

Would you rather Bristol did not have these events now and in future because fatties cannot lose their cars once in a blue moon??

Therein is probably the quickest way to lose any credibility. If they are not with you trout out some derogatory slur. Blame the immigrants next - you have no more evidence that they are to blame than you do it's the overweight or the lazy which are not in favour of closing the portway.

As an aside I think a much better route for these events taking in our vast green spaces and using merely a portion of the portway would be preferable. I've not seen a cost v benefit analysis of the half marathon so I cannot answer your question as to whether I'd do away with it. Unless it paid for itself yes I would, in a heartbeat.

Oh and just because Paula Radcliffe did it I should be impressed or wish to preseve it? Frankly I couldn't give a running crap what she has done or where.

It's just a ploy, close the Portway and get people enjoying cycling along it. Once people have done it once they will want to do it again, on a normal day..then Red Trousers will be out fining people for riding on the pavements. Quids in, job done.

Therein is probably the quickest way to lose any credibility. If they are not with you trout out some derogatory slur.Blame the immigrants next - you have no more evidence that they are to blame than you do it's the overweight or the lazy which are not in favour of closing the portway.

As an aside I think a much better route for these events taking in our vast green spaces and using merely a portion of the portway would be preferable. I've not seen a cost v benefit analysis of the half marathon so I cannot answer your question as to whether I'd do away with it. Unless it paid for itself yes I would, in a heartbeat.

Oh and just because Paula Radcliffe did it I should be impressed or wish to preseve it? Frankly I couldn't give a running crap what she has done or where.

Silly.

The gorge and areas around the Portway are an under used amenity because of cars. An area that is also fit to host World class events. I simply do not think giving the populace of Bristol more freedom to use a beautiful area that is choked with traffic nearly every day of the year is a bad idea.

Ps Radcliffe was not running when she ..

Silly.

The gorge and areas around the Portway are an under used amenity because of cars. An area that is also fit to host World class events. I simply do not think giving the populace of Bristol more freedom to use a beautiful area that is choked with traffic nearly every day of the year is a bad idea.

Ps Radcliffe was not running when she ..

So a few happy cyclists is a World Clas Event is it ?

If it takes all this to get some once a year cyclists out once a year .....

If they were keen cyclists they'd be out anyway

No doubt the kids will be able to crayon nice pictures on the Portway

Intelligent reference to 'fatties' btw

Out of interest - do you own a car

So a few happy cyclists is a World Clas Event is it ?

If it takes all this to get some once a year cyclists out once a year .....

If they were keen cyclists they'd be out anyway

No doubt the kids will be able to crayon nice pictures on the Portway

Intelligent reference to 'fatties' btw

Out of interest - do you own a car

So a few happy cyclists is a World Class Event is it ? It could be several thousand cyclists, but the context referred to a previous event i.e The World Half Marathon championship.

If they were keen cyclists they'd be out anyway .. Not the easiest thing to do with Children. Bristol is hilly and this parent would be scared to allow kids on many sections of cycle path e.g Around Temple Meads is not safe for children. That lack of freedom can/helps create sedentary overweight children.

Intelligent reference to 'fatties' btw .. No. The UK is noted for its obesity. See above point regarding children.

Out of interest - do you own a car? Yes, and a bike, football boots and some running shoes. I hope those possible indicators of sportiness are acceptable on a forum about a sport!

So a few happy cyclists is a World Class Event is it ? It could be several thousand cyclists, but the context referred to a previous event i.e The World Half Marathon championship.

We'll just have to wait and see on that one.

If they were keen cyclists they'd be out anyway .. Not the easiest thing to do with Children. Bristol is hilly and this parent would be scared to allow kids on many sections of cycle path e.g Around Temple Meads is not safe for children. That lack of freedom can/helps create sedentary overweight children.

I think this is the point most are making. It's unsustainable. Yes we can all have a jolly with the kids in tow when the roads are closed but the very next day its sod that, too dangerous.

There is in the main one combat to sedentary children and that is educating their parents. One way or another the buck stops there. Either the parents are not pushing or encouraging enough, or they aren't just damn forcing the kids to go off to some activity or club. Opening the portway isn't going to change jack. It won't change attitudes and it won't encourage take up: of that I am absolutely certain.

Intelligent reference to 'fatties' btw .. No. The UK is noted for its obesity. See above point regarding children.

Missed the point. You have no evidence on which to base the claim that detractors are 'fatties' and even if you did that you would choose to deliver a slur speaks volumes about you.

Out of interest - do you own a car? Yes, and a bike, football boots and some running shoes. I hope those possible indicators of sportiness are acceptable on a forum about a sport!

Depends how dirty they are.

• Admin

Sundays are not work days for 95% of us. Few people "need" to drive that way on a Sunday and I doubt it'll have vast implications elsewhere.

Given the state of some of the blobs I see wobbling around Bristol and the cost of obesity related illness to the NHS, I think encouraging more people to walk and cycle occasionally is hardly a bad thing.

Is that factual? Plenty of people I know work Sundays, I would guess its more than 5% of the population.

Is there an option to vote for no Mayor and go back to what it was before this idiot was getting paid to do nothing of any importance.

We had the option to do this when we had the referendum 4 years ago. Unfortunately less than 30% of Bristolians voted and about 19% voted in favour of having a Mayor. That's how we ended up with the t*ss*r we now have. 'Fraid we're stuck with a Mayor for some time.

Is that factual? Plenty of people I know work Sundays, I would guess its more than 5% of the population.

Whatever the percentage, it's much less than any other day of the week. And an even smaller percentage will be inconvenienced in any way by these closures.

If he was proposing closing it more frequently then I'd be on the anti- side, but as it is I think anti-Red Trousers sentiment is making a mountain out of a molehill on this thread.

Luckily for those of you stuck under the iron fist of the red trousered tyrant, thousands of houses are being built in South Glos making it the perfect retreat for honest, hard working Bristolians who want to live free and drive their car on Sunday's, and above 20mph every day of the week.

Luckily for those of you stuck under the iron fist of the red trousered tyrant, thousands of houses are being built in South Glos making it the perfect retreat for honest, hard working Bristolians who want to live free and drive their car on Sunday's, and above 20mph every day of the week.

i'm surprised he hasn't suggested a torch light parade.

Archived