IGNORED

Sainsbury V Blbr

Arkateee

Todays pasting from the gas.                                                                                                                                                                                                              "Jim Tarzy (as I now know him to be called) was asked whether Sainsbury's initial S73 application was a good job. He said something like it was a good job, but some of the technical details were amended for the second submission (the one done by Rovers I think), because they weren't right the first time. As in so much of this case, the devil seemed to me to be in the detail. I think the Sainsburys QC was trying to get him to say either that Sainsburys had done a poor job (which he could then disprove), or that they had done a perfectly good job, so that there was no reason why a later one should be approved when the first one wasn't. As I wrote above, I though Mr Tarzy was very credible

Mr Curtis of BCC planning had a slightly rougher ride, I thought - I thought it might have felt like he was having a very tough job appraisal. There were 46 lever arch files of documents supporting the case, and the Sainsburys QC asked him about two specific sections of different documents. The first was the response to the initial application, which was done by someone he managed, but retained responsibility. The QC pointed to a bit where the council response seemed to state that they wanted more on Delivery Management, or something similar, rather than noise, whereas the response to the later version emphasized noise and not delivery management - so suggesting that BCC had moved the goalposts, or else provided incoherent responses which could hardly be Sainsburys fault. Mr Curtis, whose position I didn't envy (you try having every tiny detail of your work poured over in public!), said that he saw Delivery Management as being part of noise management, though he did recognize the different emphases (seemed to me a bit surprised by it to be honest)

There was talk of the elections around that time, and how the make-up of the council and the 'changed political climate' locally might have influenced the BCC response (implying, for me, that the civil servants were making decisions as dictated by their political masters, rather than on a consistent basis). Mr Curtis refuted this convincingly, I thought

The Sainsburys QC then started on summarising his overall argument I think. There seemed to be two possible drop-dead dates, one in mid-October and one around the end of the year. The contract stated that it would end 20 days after a drop-dead date, and Sainsburys were suggesting it could be 20 days after whichever one the judge thought appropriate. They then suggested that there are 7 supplemental questions that the judge might answer (eg if the date was X, were Sainsburys under an obligation to do Y within a certain timeframe to comply with the contract

They seemed to me to be pursuing the colandar argument of yesterday - that the contract is so full of get-outs and holes that loads must apply, and that in any case the onus is on Rovers to demonstrate that Sainsburys didn't comply with minimum obligations under the contract, which they say that they did

The QC had previously asked Toni the Till, apparently, if he thought Sainsburys were using 'every trick in the book', and Toni responsded something like that wouldn't be his phrase but was about the right general direction of things

I still think that doesn't make them look good - both for having such a contract, and for trying to establish the maximum amount of 'get-outs' with the judge (which to the layman does look like 'every trick in the book')

Court rose for what at school would have been called 'playtime' and Toni and Nick seemed relaxed and happy to talk. I asked Toni how its going and he responded, appropriately and in good spirits I thought, 'you tell me!'

Nick Higgs mentioned that he doesn't read the forums, but that at least one of his kids does, and that they are sometimes upset by it. I think it would be helpful if we all remember that when posting

I still think that, whatever the outcome of this case and however things have gone generally, the management team at the club haven't done much wrong on this. Up close it was easier to imagine the strain that must have come with the job, and I think they deserve our support on this.

Nicholas has apparently told the magic circle at Bristol's oldest professional football club that he will not put a penny more of his own money in because for too long he has been the only one putting money in and the others have been riding on his back. Not literally of course because that would be an unsuitable thing to say with the possibility of young pirates being within earshot.   

The gas guzzler mob are still on about boycotting Sainsburys, if 30k of us (!) didn't shop in Sainsburys, they'd feel it!

:facepalm:

2 things wrong with that there isn't 30k gasheads!! And the ******* odds off every single one of them shopping at sainsburys in the first place is astronomical!!!!

In that case you are wrong.  In abbreviated accounts you still need to follow GAAP and cannot change the presentation of items willy nilly from one year to the next without the directors exposing themselves to risk.

if you read my post i did say 'not all from one year to the next'. However, you can indeed move numbers from one column to another as long as they are shown correctly.

I've recently started doing all my shopping at Sainsburys, in fact I'm just about to go there now. I suggest all Teds shop there from now on, although I fully understand that we'll never be able to counteract the 250k gash that will be boycotting Sainsburys.

So you actually want a big corporation to stitch up a Bristol football club?

You want Rovers to fail in their bid for a new stadium?

And you're willing to give part of your salary to Shamesbury's in an attempt to help make these things happen?

Wow.

I read all this summing up from Rovers fans and it can come accross as quite favourable to them. But then I must remind myself that a Rovers fan have wrote these pieces and it's going to have a very biased slant on it. For what it's worth and probs because I'm biased as I want them to fail I have read enough which suggests Sainsburys were able to leave the contract.

And you're willing to give part of your salary to Shamesbury's in an attempt to help make these things happen?

Wow.

What's wrong with Sainsburys? Some of their food is decent.

Wow.

Would you like Roger Red to fetch you some lemon sours??

Wow.

I have as much sympathy for the gas as they displayed when we nearly went bust.

I'm happy for them to fail, but I don't mind if they don't. The only people who I would feel sorry for are mates of mine who misguidedly support them, who, incidently, took great glee in our plight in '82.

....Errr, wow?

Wow.

I hope Sainsburys help send them under, but Rovers pitiful little band of fans are to blame.

Wow.

Yea flea brain.

No roverzzzz = more possibility of a bigger City.

Without you we are much better off.

Hope you go bust and reform in level 10 football. Byeeee

if you read my post i did say 'not all from one year to the next'. However, you can indeed move numbers from one column to another as long as they are shown correctly.

You did say that, I missed that.  However, you cannot switch directors remuneration/dividends, there are strict rules on off balance sheet financing and BLBR will not be able to use cash based accounting.

Wow.

Yep.... :thumbsup:

Wow.

Maybe he doesn't want a war memorial to be bulldozed?

Wow.

You reap what you sow.

You tried to take Ashton Gate for you own when City were on the brink and 30 years later...

Say hello to away fixtures at Brimscombe & Thrupp and Slimbridge :)

It looks more like 60/40 in Sainsburys favour at this stage. Even if they lose and as someone has stated, the appeal process can be a long drawn out process for either party. This could go on for years, in the meantime the planning approval will require resubmitting. Unless an out of court settlement is reached of course! I think Rovers could face administration within 6 months

for what it's worth, i really hope the the gas overcome this hurdle and an amicable settlement is reached,

i have many friends that i grew up with who chose to support rovers as kids and have stuck with the club they love

through thick and thin, it's the real supporters who will lose most from this if it all goes tits up...arent we real supporters too ?

I know i will be lambasted and ridiculed for having this opinion but hey

Consider yerself lambasted AND ridiculed KM !

Not from me you won't nor from people who have a sense of understanding and empathy toward a fellow supporter of whatever club they support. Real supporters and many on here have lamented in the past when other teams fall into hardship. And to those who would say they recall when a Gas fan laughed at us in 1982 i would say this.... You should be a bigger man and not lower yourself to the same level. That is what being a Bristol City fan should be about. Not some ignorant person who lives off hatred. Cue the ignorance coming my way now. Oh well.

Oh gosh, you're right! The scales have just fallen from my eyes, how could I have been so wrong, Come on the Gas !

Wow.

F.U.C.K. Me,Where the hell did you just come from.....?  Sorry mate, come on our forum by all means but keep it within reason, it,s all a piss take....relax

The boggest reason I want tis is to fail is that I want the mem to stay a memorial not a supermarket or housing. I will say this I know its only a dream but I hope documentation surfaces from where it was hidden of what the m was given for and what it can be. What rovers get is a total irrelevance to me. But I do hope karma plays out on this one

Archived