IGNORED

The Fifa 14

havanatopia

It may not have immediate effect, but I truly believe just us and Germany would carry enough clout as sponsor's markets to pull the rug from FIFA.

I also believe even England alone probably would be able achieve that, although I acknowledge it would be a huge risk. Imagine this: the FA breaks away from FIFA. Mid November and its the last game in qualification for the World Cup (which we don't participate in). The FA has scheduled a full fixture list for that evening - including Man City v Man Utd and Chelsea v Arsenal - and doesn't require any of its member clubs to release any players for the FIFA competition which it no longer recognises.

Don't get me wrong I know that would take huge front and well it just isn't ever going to happen, but I truly believe the Premier League itself harnesses enough power as a global brand to bring FIFA crumbling. Therefore I don't think we should fear what would or would not be too much for FIFA's resistance - if the English FA were involved I think that would be too much for them to resist whatever the rest of the composition.

plus watching england international football has been shit for a long time so we won't miss anything

It may not have immediate effect, but I truly believe just us and Germany would carry enough clout as sponsor's markets to pull the rug from FIFA.

I also believe even England alone probably would be able achieve that, although I acknowledge it would be a huge risk. Imagine this: the FA breaks away from FIFA. Mid November and its the last game in qualification for the World Cup (which we don't participate in). The FA has scheduled a full fixture list for that evening - including Man City v Man Utd and Chelsea v Arsenal - and doesn't require any of its member clubs to release any players for the FIFA competition which it no longer recognises.

Don't get me wrong I know that would take huge front and well it just isn't ever going to happen, but I truly believe the Premier League itself harnesses enough power as a global brand to bring FIFA crumbling. Therefore I don't think we should fear what would or would not be too much for FIFA's resistance - if the English FA were involved I think that would be too much for them to resist whatever the rest of the composition.

I'm not sure we could do that. If we refused to release players, FIFA would take legal action that would a) cost a fortune and b) probably involve an injunction against Premier League matches being played. Plus, there may be contractual stipulations and it ignores the fact that many players do actually want to play for their country

The only ways UEFA can bring down FIFA will be through getting sponsors to withdraw support or through a viable alternate competition to the World Cup. If the major European nations could convince Argentina, Brazil, The US, Australia and perhaps Japan or S. Korea to withdraw from the WC and play an invitational comp in Europe, it would bring the whole house of cards crashing down in a financial sense. England leaving FIFA would be an annoyance and would probably cost them a bit of sponsorship money, but not enough to bring down Blatter

plus watching england international football has been shit for a long time so we won't miss anything

Could end up with 2 different organisations. Blatters Asian/African/South American collection, with possibly the Ruskis and the French thrown in. Then a mainly UEFA  led group with the Septics and the Aussies/Kiwis thrown in.

I'm not sure we could do that. If we refused to release players, FIFA would take legal action that would a) cost a fortune and b) probably involve an injunction against Premier League matches being played. Plus, there may be contractual stipulations and it ignores the fact that many players do actually want to play for their country

The only ways UEFA can bring down FIFA will be through getting sponsors to withdraw support or through a viable alternate competition to the World Cup. If the major European nations could convince Argentina, Brazil, The US, Australia and perhaps Japan or S. Korea to withdraw from the WC and play an invitational comp in Europe, it would bring the whole house of cards crashing down in a financial sense. England leaving FIFA would be an annoyance and would probably cost them a bit of sponsorship money, but not enough to bring down Blatter

or switch the europian championships to take place at the same time as world cup, offer better incentives and prize monies to teams taking part, including some of the real minnows and then say to the sponsers you have a choice between us and them we have the best supported leagues in the world,

The only ways UEFA can bring down FIFA will be through getting sponsors to withdraw support or through a viable alternate competition to the World Cup. If the major European nations could convince Argentina, Brazil, The US, Australia and perhaps Japan or S. Korea to withdraw from the WC and play an invitational comp in Europe, it would bring the whole house of cards crashing down in a financial sense. England leaving FIFA would be an annoyance and would probably cost them a bit of sponsorship

money, but not enough to bring down Blatter

Don't get me wrong I am not suggesting it could or may ever happen, but if we were to cede membership of FIFA there would be no basis on which they could compel clubs or an FA to release players. They would no longer be a regulatory body and so unless something else were entered in to there would be no legal relationship between FIFA and the FA.

I am certain that as a brand and as a power the Premier League carries enough in itself to irreparably damage FIFA. I don't think my opinion is formed by some romantic view of the Premier League, but the value of the rights to show Premier League itself, cost of sponsorship, its vast reach - look at where all the Premier League clubs are playing games this week - all show just how damning it could be.

I don't support Blatter, but I'm beginning to feel sick of the British media coverage of this. We live in a country whose Government supports small countries with oppressive regimes like Qatar for instance. Qatar is a petrol station masquerading as a country, yet we back major sporting events there, e.g. cycling etc. We support the Grand Prix in Bahrain. We support Saudi Arabia - one of the most brutal dictatorships, whose population suffers , whilst the rich Saudi princes roam around London visiting brothels and drinking champagne. It's about getting cheap oil and seems to fit in very well with the promotion of Prince Ali for the new FIFA President.

Also, the US fraud inquiry and the timing of arrests is interesting. Presumably the inquiry has been going on for a long time. Is it coincidental that arrests have been made a few days before FIFA Presidential elections?

Finally, there have been comments that England should have more of a say than smaller countries in the running of FIFA. Well we can't have it both ways. We can't go around the world backing small countries, but on the other hand not give all countries equal votes. We need to get over the fact that we are just a small wet island. If UEFA pulls out of the World Cup it will be a disaster for world football. Maybe that is what the USA wants. Their main sports are not truly international and they envy the World Cup - it is the best tournament in the world. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Champion Dung Spreader

I don't support Blatter, but I'm beginning to feel sick of the British media coverage of this. We live in a country whose Government supports small countries with oppressive regimes like Qatar for instance. Qatar is a petrol station masquerading as a country, yet we back major sporting events there (e.g. the Grand Prix, cycling etc). We support Saudi Arabia - one of the most brutal dictatorships, whose population suffers , whilst the rich Saudi princes roam around London visiting brothels and drinking champagne. It's about getting cheap oil and seems to fit in very well with the promotion of Prince Ali for the new FIFA President.

Also, the US fraud inquiry and the timing of arrests is interesting. Presumably the inquiry has been going on for a long time. Is it coincidental that arrests have been made a few days before FIFA Presidential elections?

Finally, there have been comments that England should have more of a say than smaller countries in the running of FIFA. Well we can't have it both ways. We can't go around the world backing small countries, but on the other hand not give all countries equal votes. We need to get over the fact that we are just a small wet island. If UEFA pulls out of the World Cup it will be a disaster for world football. Maybe that is what the USA wants. Their main sports are not truly international and they envy the World Cup - it is the best tournament in the world. Be careful what you wish for.

You are of course right on the two-faced nature of opposing a World Cup in Qatar and, for example, supporting an F1 race in Bahrain, though the scale is obviously very different

On the timing, the US has a relatively straightforward and beneficial extradition treaty with the Swiss and all the relevant people were going to be in the same place at the same time. It also helps that the 'place' were also carrying out a parallel investigation into similar crimes. It's much easier to extradite 9 people from one country which is going to be cooperative than it is to extradite them from 9 different countries with 9 different police forces and 9 different extradition processes

I find the timing interesting in that they have acted before they have Blatter, but only in that respect. Of course its going to be a co-ordinated raid, particularly when they are raiding HQ for documents. What easier way than to pick up those involved and those papers at a time before anything can be destroyed - a la Russian PC's which were destroyed and therefore not part of the investigation in to the 2018 WC Vote.

Yes it is an inconvenience for Blatter's reappointment but that's probably just positive collateral.

Finally, there have been comments that England should have more of a say than smaller countries in the running of FIFA. Well we can't have it both ways. We can't go around the world backing small countries, but on the other hand not give all countries equal votes.

Eh? Not really sure I follow you here. There's a huge difference between giving a voice and giving an equal voice - you make it sound like we are canvassing for their appointment to the G7/G8.

In most cases fairness will be achieved by matching power with contribution. Otherwise you end up in a situation like AV where the few have the power to fight off the majority, trash also. Or, Blatter's reappointment which would be no less unfair.

We need to get over the fact that we are just a small wet island. If UEFA pulls out of the World Cup it will be a disaster for world football.

Money talks and the World Cup is far bigger than FIFA or UEFA. Yes if FIFA crumbled it (the WC) might not survive exactly as we are used to (depending upon things like intellectual property for example), but I don't doubt for even one millisecond that it would survive. As for a boycott it is the ultimate threat because in its current guise the World Cup could not function without UEFA support; it would be little more than like the Confederations Cup. I don't see UEFA collapsing the World Cup - perhaps 'a' World Cup however, and if that happens to be the Russian or the Qatar WC - meh.

Maybe that is what the USA wants. Their main sports are not truly international and they envy the World Cup - it is the best tournament in the world. Be careful what you wish for.

How many books have you read alleging the US Govt: faked the moon landings,planned 9/11, area 51 .....

Edited by Guest

I don't see the voting system changing in the near future and we have to accept that we are a very small fish in a large pond. It's no good us just standing and booing at Johnny Foreigner. I don't think that most countries will accept football authorities like ours, who are awash with Rupert Murdoch money, having unfair advantage over developing countries. We need to accept that the election is not likely to go UEFA's way.

Finally, I don't believe any of the conspiracy theories you mention in your last paragraph. However, the USA does rampage around the world stealing other countries' things - it is called imperialism. As you say, money talks - fact not conspiracy.

I don't see the voting system changing in the near future and we have to accept that we are a very small fish in a large pond. It's no good us just standing and booing at Johnny Foreigner. I don't think that most countries will accept football authorities like ours, who are awash with Rupert Murdoch money, having unfair advantage over developing countries. We need to accept that the election is not likely to go UEFA's way.

Finally, I don't believe any of the conspiracy theories you mention in your last paragraph. However, the USA does rampage around the world stealing other countries' things - it is called imperialism. As you say, money talks - fact not conspiracy.

I agree I don't see the voting system changing in the near future - why would it, why would a minority vote to cede their power to the majority? The problem came at the outset with the distribution of votes because, no matter how it may have worked in the past, it would not always be fit for purpose.

As for booing at Johnny Foreigner that is not what is going on. That is a very flippant and ignorant remark. I'm not aware of Prince Ali having an English passport, Bin Hamman last election. It has nothing to do with 'foreign' in any regards and all to do with the federation being fit for purpose - the candidate, who he represents, where he has his seat, is a complete irrelevance provided he is a suitable alternative. That much is absolutely clear when you have the Dutch and Portuguese standing down so as to not dilute the potential vote of a middle-eastern Prince!!!!!!!

I don't think that most countries will accept football authorities like ours, who are awash with Rupert Murdoch money, having unfair advantage over developing countries - we can agree to disagree but I think you'll find many would.. Spain's league was on the verge of collapse a few weeks ago over exactly the exploitation of the sport commercially. As for 'developing countries' well they provide different commercial exploitation opportunities and rapid growth opportunities. It is very different. If you want investment or profile the best way in my opinion is to have other strong brands in developed countries which they can piggy back off. The PL brand infiltrating the MLS has done wonders for football over there and its development for example. The indian super league was a large success. A strong Premier League, or whatever league may be, will have benefits in raising the profile of the domestic league in a developing country - of that I am certain.

2nd round it is

133 votes to Splatter

73 to Ali

3 spoilt ballets

Ali camp considering their position; may concede before second round.

Thats me done for the day. Nyt all.

BBC Breaking News:

Fifa presidential election

Posted at18:15

Prince Ali bin al-Hussein withdraws from Fifa presidential election.

Nothing to see here, as you were, move along please....

End of the line for Platini at UEFA in my book. This was really the time to nail Blatter and whilst I don't expect Blatter to see out 2015, if he couldn't get him now I don't have any confidence in a UEFA-led Platini with a motion of no confidence. To be justifiable with that I think it has to be UEFA with a new leader.

They also need to be far more savvy in their opposition and not allow this farcical Ginola/Figo circus. All this then does seem a witch hunt for Blatter. That may be what it is, but it doesn't present or portray well.

With any sense before they table their vote they will find a high profile and extremely presentable Latin American or African from another sporting federation (or possibly even ex pro) to challenge Blatter and immediately back him to the hilt.

Now is also the time to exert the pressure of having such football treasures like the Champions League (ahem Europa League : /) and European Championships as your assets; the Premier League, FA Cup. You find those federations where we are not winning votes and you find your way in. The example is immediate because of proximity, but say Malaysia voted in favour of Blatter. You find your connections who can exert serious political pressure in Malaysia - ring ring, Cardiff City how can I help? Vincent Tan please - and you get them supporting your cause on the ground.

Blatter can do this because he is extremely savvy and a political master. UEFA need someone to outwit him and that clearly ain't Platinj.

Edited by Guest

Agreed.

All mouth Platini - but he does represent some backstabbers as well.

UEFA needs a proper and firm leader to take on FIFA.

Its business as normal, those that have been arrested will get their punishments and Blatter will claim the moral high ground saying he instigated the investigations to get them out, whilst lavishing money on third world countries to keep him in power.

The world cup will go on in Qatar and Russia and we'll all watch and therefore be part of the farce.

No change ladies and gents, business as normal.

Yep, Teflon Sepp lives to fight another day .....

Can't sleep!! I would wait to judge fellas at least until UEFA have their meeting tomorrow. We always knew Spain would vote with Splatter... They have some secrets that need to be kept quiet. Quite how these troughers expect that with the FBI now involved i do not know.

End of the line for Platini at UEFA in my book. This was really the time to nail Blatter and whilst I don't expect Blatter to see out 2015, if he couldn't get him now I don't have any confidence in a UEFA-led Platini with a motion of no confidence. To be justifiable with that I think it has to be UEFA with a new leader.

They also need to be far more savvy in their opposition and not allow this farcical Ginola/Figo circus. All this then does seem a witch hunt for Blatter. That may be what it is, but it doesn't present or portray well.

With any sense before they table their vote they will find a high profile and extremely presentable Latin American or African from another sporting federation (or possibly even ex pro) to challenge Blatter and immediately back him to the hilt.

Now is also the time to exert the pressure of having such football treasures like the Champions League (ahem Europa League : /) and European Championships as your assets; the Premier League, FA Cup. You find those federations where we are not winning votes and you find your way in. The example is immediate because of proximity, but say Malaysia voted in favour of Blatter. You find your connections who can exert serious political pressure in Malaysia - ring ring, Cardiff City how can I help? Vincent Tan please - and you get them supporting your cause on the ground.

Blatter can do this because he is extremely savvy and a political master. UEFA need someone to outwit him and that clearly ain't Platinj.

What do you expect Platini (or for that matter his replacement) to actually do?

Can't sleep!! I would wait to judge fellas at least until UEFA have their meeting tomorrow. We always knew Spain would vote with Splatter... They have some secrets that need to be kept quiet. Quite how these troughers expect that with the FBI now involved i do not know.

Exactly, just wish the it would move on a bit quicker The tension is crippling