IGNORED

The Fifa 14

havanatopia

The FBI only have jurisdiction in the US, presumably they've obtained documentation from US-based media organisations, etc. that implicate those officials. I'd be amazed if any of that paper work directly implicates Blatter. However, I'd be equally amazed if none of those arrested have nothing to link Blatter to any corruption or none of them are prepared to testify against him for a bargain. This is the start of the process against FIFA and it's officials, not the end

In answer to the SKY reporters question about the calmness of Splatter..."Consequences of what WE initiated" the smug teuton says taking the FIFA press conference.. How incredibly magnanimous of you NOT.. you arrogant toss pot.

Edited by havanatopia

Self serving and smug press conference from an organisation in deep denial

I hope the whole thing comes down with very long prison sentences handed out and Russia and Qatar striped of the World Cup

Won't need to be that long Monk, at least 2 of the 6 arrested this morning are in their 80's!!

Edited by glynriley

One thing all seem to be agreed on and that is that Blatter is clever. It's no surprise he hasn't been arrested. In fact given his "Teflon" track record I'd have been amazed if he had. He's much too cunning to have left any concrete evidence linking him to dirty money.

However, for those of us who hate this man with a passion - and believe me, I do - it's a little early to despair. This day has been a long time coming and I'm taking nothing for granted. The first thing is that these charges have to be made to stick. The arresting authorities seem very confident this time and there certainly appears to be a huge weight of evidence judging from initial reports. It will take forever, because legal procedures (especially on this scale) always do, but if convictions are secured, certain other things surely must inevitably follow.

It seems to me that Blatter must eventually be condemned, if only by his own evasion of responsibility. If the little I've so far read is correct, these charges relate to fraud going back 20 years. The stench of (hitherto unproven) corruption has hung over FIFA throughout that time - and it's all happened on Blatter's watch. There are only two possible conclusions. Either he's in it up to his neck, which is what 99% of the football world believe, whether they're saying so or not at this stage, or - and this would stretch credibility to breaking point - he knew nothing about it, in whch case he would have to have been spectacularly incompetent to have been blind to wrong-doing on a massive scale within his own organisation over two decades of his presidential reign.

Either way, he's screwed, finally. If convictions are secured, Blatter is either a crook himself or he's so stupid as to be unfit to hold the post. He may survive the imminent election or he may not, but he won't survive the fallout if these bastards are found guilty and banged up. I will open a bottle of very expensive champagne the day his head rolls.

As previous posters have intimated, the other things that must follow will include a forensic examination of the voting processes whereby two future World Cup tournaments were awarded to Qatar and Russia. Up to this point I would have said the chances of either of those decisions ever being overturned are vanishingly small. This development may, however, prove to be a game changer. If it can be shown beyond all doubt that there was extensive bribery and corruption involved, then the decisions are fatally flawed and invalid and there will be huge pressure for the ballot(s) to be re-run.

In any other circumstances, given the level of investment that's already taken place in, for example, construction of new stadia, one would have said a reversal of the decisons was unthinkable, but if the whole process was fundamentally founded on criminality, then I cannot see that the governments and football authorities of those two hosts can have any defence if FIFA subsequently withdraws the tournament from them. It couldn't happen to two nicer countries...

we live in hope that this is the end of the road for Blatter :redcard:  :pray:

The Irish FA have announced they will be voting against Sepp on Friday.

England, Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Brazil & Argentina; come on and do the same.

Announce your intention now so "lesser folk" may follow your lead.

Just to play devil's advocate (and I caveat not necessarily representative of my own views) ... oh boy his will not be popular...

The FBI have clearly been investigating this matter earnestly. They are confident enough in the evidence they have collected to launch these dawn raids against 14 individuals. It's important also that they were able to convince the Swiss authorities that their evidence was strong enough to secure full cooperation (remember this is Switzerland - Mr Neutral..).

Therefore if there was truly anything on Mr Blatter do you not think:

a) they would have uncovered it during the investigation which was thorough enough to collect the requisite evidence against these other 14. Not only did they collect enough evidence, that evidence was strong enough to convince the Swiss authorities to assist in raids carried out by foreigners (the FBI) within their jurisdiction; and

b) if there were matters relating to Mr Blatter to investigate these raids would not have occurred until that investigation was complete in order to not put that investigation in jeopardy.

Now that's outta the way I'm not sure where my opinion is - whether I believe perhaps Blatter is innocent of corruption or whether this is just the start. The fact that it's a US-led initiative I think they would be gunning for the guy at the top first and foremost - just not sure how to interpret the failure to land him.

Of course Blatter is guilty; at the very least of collusion if only by definition of being in post and being 'on his watch' but being at the heart of the organisation he is best placed to hide his dealings and use everyone else to be the fall guys. I am more interested in the documents confiscated by the Swiss Authorities regarding the 2018 and 2022 bidding processes.. somewhere amongst that lot and what it leads to and who is interviewed will incriminate Bladder.. of that I am certain. Whether charges can stick remains to be seen.

This is unravelling by the minute.

The Irish FA have announced they will be voting against Sepp on Friday.

England, Spain, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Brazil & Argentina; come on and do the same.

Announce your intention now so "lesser folk" may follow your lead.

England have already said they will be voting for Prince Ali. Scotland were backers of van Praag so will presumably switch to Prince Ali too

Of course Blatter is guilty; at the very least of collusion if only by definition of being in post and being 'on his watch' but being at the heart of the organisation he is best placed to hide his dealings and use everyone else to be the fall guys. I am more interested in the documents confiscated by the Swiss Authorities regarding the 2018 and 2022 bidding processes.. somewhere amongst that lot and what it leads to and who is interviewed will incriminate Bladder.. of that I am certain. Whether charges can stick remains to be seen.

Like many people at the top of any organisation he has no morals,no ethics, no shame only greed.

Havana - surely you have not committed the cardinal sin of speculating rather than posting facts.

Fair play to the journalist Andrew Jennings who has relentlessly pursued FIFA and corruption (under threat) for many years - read his excellent books on it - he provided information to FBI

Bit of a hero for all football fans for me :clap:

This appears a little bit like the invesigation into Lance Armsrong ( David Walsh in the Jennings role)..

Hopefully this will; bring down FIFA hierarchy and Blatter will have to face Oprah.