IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

• Admin
14 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

I have to ask @Tomarse, @phantom, @PHILINFRANCE and any other Somerset fans.

What are the chances of you surviving div one if Leach and Cove are away for a lot / some of it? Not fishing here, genuinely wondering

Honestly think we are doomed if they are away too much this summer. Sadly the Overton's will either be with England or injured, and looks like Leach will become an England regular

Not convinced by our overseas signing either

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

I have to ask @Tomarse, @phantom, @PHILINFRANCE and any other Somerset fans.

What are the chances of you surviving div one if Leach and Cove are away for a lot / some of it? Not fishing here, genuinely wondering

After 'Middlesex', it seems the Taunton pitch will be less conducive to spin this season.

Given the (probable) lengthy absence on England duty of JL, it would seem that our spin options will be limited to Dom Bess, a promising off-spin bowler and, indeed, if his recent performances in the WI can be repeated this season, surely a welcome all-rounder.

At Championship level, Cove is also a proven, albeit inconsistent, all-rounder, though I am not convinced he will be lost for much of this season on England duty.

I know you didn't mention him in your post, but Cove's younger twin brother Jove is extremely fast and, if he can prove himself injury free, relatively consistent and discover his prevous form, it may be Jove who is taken from the Somerset First XI.

In answer to your question, however, whilst, regrettably, our first Championship will most likely have to be postponed for yet another year, I believe we shall avoid relegation.    

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

After 'Middlesex', it seems the Taunton pitch will be less conducive to spin this season.

Given the (probable) lengthy absence on England duty of JL, it would seem that our spin options will be limited to Dom Bess, a promising off-spin bowler and, indeed, if his recent performances in the WI can be repeated this season, surely a welcome all-rounder.

At Championship level, Cove is also a proven, albeit inconsistent, all-rounder, though I am not convinced he will be lost for much of this season on England duty.

I know you didn't mention him in your post, but Cove's younger twin brother Jove is extremely fast and, if he can prove himself injury free, relatively consistent and discover his prevous form, it may be Jove who is taken from the Somerset First XI.

In answer to your question, however, whilst, regrettably, our first Championship will most likely have to be postponed for yet another year, I believe we shall avoid relegation.    

If Jove spent less time in the pub and conditioning his body he'd probably be better than Cove. Just my two pennies worth on that one though.

We might as well abandon all pretence and get rid of four day and test match cricket now. Save it the painful slow death of the next 10-15 years.

I'm sure it'll be popular enough but I would personally never support or even watch a city franchise based cricket tournament. I bet it'll all be on Sky as well. The ECB love to talk about growing the game and introducing it to kids but have consistently failed to explain how that squares with their policy of hiding as much cricket as possible behind the humongous expense of Sky Sports.

• Like 2

• Admin
13 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

We might as well abandon all pretence and get rid of four day and test match cricket now. Save it the painful slow death of the next 10-15 years.

I'm sure it'll be popular enough but I would personally never support or even watch a city franchise based cricket tournament. I bet it'll all be on Sky as well. The ECB love to talk about growing the game and introducing it to kids but have consistently failed to explain how that squares with their policy of hiding as much cricket as possible behind the humongous expense of Sky Sports.

Hate to say but the BBC are getting some of the games - but completely agree with your sentiments

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

Hate to say but the BBC are getting some of the games - but completely agree with your sentiments

Thanks Phantom, I do recall seeing that report actually, here it is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/40455556

Obviously it's a welcome development that they are putting some cricket back on terrestrial, but it says here that they're getting ten live matches from the new city franchise hit and giggle competition. I've read that it will be a five week competition so two matches a week doesn't actually add up to much although I suppose it's better than a kick in the hole.

• Like 1

• Admin
21 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Even worse - The ECB were thinking about scrapping the LBW law !!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23249618/fast-food-cricket-coming-whether-or-not

2 minutes ago, Super said:

ball is going all over the place! 200 would be a great score although that seems a long way off!

Uncontested toss - Worcestershire will bowl first. Words I was glad to see this morning! We'd be about 27-7 by now if we'd have lost the toss, I have no doubts about that!

25 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Somerset 1-1, ta ta Banger

#COYP

:fear:

This is why nobody likes you Woodsy...

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

Even worse - The ECB were thinking about scrapping the LBW law !!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23249618/fast-food-cricket-coming-whether-or-not

Great. Can't wait to watch lads kicking the ball away for a laugh.

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Tres out early LBW.  County Cricket is officially back. 

Imagine given the conditions this morning it was hellish to bat.

From the pics I've seen it's difficult to tell the strip from the square!
Going along quite nicely now, Hildreth has taken a few chances, but makes for good listening!