IGNORED

Do You Rate Raheem Sterling?

reddogkev

I know very little about him, only seen him on tv which is very different to watching him live.

I do compare him to the media hyping him up like they would the latest boyband. They rave about the band, get everyone believing the hype and promote them until you are sick of hearing their name, the media/former friends dig up some dirt and bash them with that. They plead exhaustion and have to go to rehab/retire to escape and by 25 they are burnt out and nobodies.

There are better boy bands out there who never get media ttention. There are decent footballers too. Sterling may have a talet, yes. But walk on water, no. Except he probably believes he can.

I think Sterling is a really good player, and will go on to be an excellent player for whoever he signs for.

Is he worth 50m at this moment in time? No would be my answer.

You've got to remember though that money is essentially meaningless to Man City and Chelsea, they've got owners who don't bat an eyelid about spending. If it fits in around their FFP or whatever, they'll pay it.

Just not that good and to be honest he reminds me of Shaun Wright-Phillips great pace little end product

That doesn't mean he can't develop but if he goes to citeh he will just be a squad player and end up like Rodwell

I think he could be a superb player. In a good Liverpool team he had a great season. In last year's team he was the main man (he's not a centre forward) and struggled.

He's a young guy. If he gets back to concentrating on football then he could be great. Comparisons with the likes of Lennon and SWP are wide of the mark. He has a brain but I'm not sure if he has the inclination. His finishing is poor but everything else is there.

Yes.

If he does move to Man City regardless of the price they pay, with Aguero's movement and players like David Silva in the team who's to say he can't go on and be on there level?

He won't be asked to play as a lone striker which quite clearly isn't his best position. He will be a winger asked to run at full backs which anyone who says he can't do needs there head checked.

I think that Sterling is worth 50 million and if I was Liverpool I wouldn't settle for any less.  Bale went to Real Madrid for 70+ million so why not?

I think he has just about done enough to show that if he was put in a decent side with good service he would have a field day.  Its easy to say he didn't have a good season but you have to remember that Liverpool have been a steaming pile of turd so you can't really blame him.

If Sterling was so good then he'd be on the radar of Real Madrid and Barcelona. I'm guessing he's not....

At 20, Gareth Bale was one of the worst left backs in the premier league. He ended up on the wing and four years later Real Madrid paid a zillion quid for him.

A lot can change very quickly. Just because they're not in for him now doesn't mean they won't be in the future if he continues to develop.

He will be a winger asked to run at full backs which anyone who says he can't do needs there head checked.

No-one is saying he can't do what you suggest, but the net effect of him doing it I don't think adds too much to a team.

I've accused him of being comparable in my eyes to SWP, Lennon, Townsend etc when each of those broke through and failed to develop their wider game. If some find that too harsh how about his (likely) new team mate, Jesus Navas? A lightening winger and I would say pretty much equals in all other levels - composure, crossing, finishing etc.

No-one is saying he can't do what you suggest, but the net effect of him doing it I don't think adds too much to a team.

I've accused him of being comparable in my eyes to SWP, Lennon, Townsend etc when each of those broke through and failed to develop their wider game. If some find that too harsh how about his (likely) new team mate, Jesus Navas? A lightening winger and I would say pretty much equals in all other levels - composure, crossing, finishing etc.

I think Sterling is a much better footballer than SWP, Lennon and Townsend. I think he has a bit more to his game than Navas, where as Navas is a out and out winger. Sterling with the right coaching has the ability to enable him to play a bit more central as well as wide.

I think Sterling is a much better footballer than SWP, Lennon and Townsend. I think he has a bit more to his game than Navas, where as Navas is a out and out winger. Sterling with the right coaching has the ability to enable him to play a bit more central as well as wide.

I'd say every single player in your first sentence with the right coaching has the ability to enable him to play a bit more central as well as wide - certainly at the age Sterling is currently at.

I'm not suggesting you are necessarily, but of those who show such derision at comparisons to SWP, Lennon and Townsend I think many are falling in to the trap of benefitting from hindsight. We know what happened/is happening to each of those players and how they regressed; the comparison is not a compliment. But take SWP - Chelsea and Man City each spent millions on him, sky high wages, he had England caps and I've no doubt press clippings from SWP at the time would have been just the same as those for Sterling. Townsend was England's saviour who qualified us for the World Cup and would lead the charge, and he was in great form for Tottenham at the time. Again, press clippings at the time would have been little different from Sterling.

Sterling had a great season during that which Sturridge and Suarez were by far the most in form partnership in the world. They were not so in form because of Sterling. In my opinion Sterling was a beneficiary of their prowess and the way Rogers let him play. I see it as one of those fluke seasons for Sterling, just as it was a fluke season for Liverpool. I'm not calling him a poor player, but I would call him very limited in footballing ability. Sometimes not being great with the ball at your feet is no biggie - Flint, but when his game relies almost solely on pace he's on a tightrope. If his legs start to show their strain, as happens seemingly to most of these what I call 'sprinters-first-footballers-second' players, then I see no reason why in 8 years time it's unthinkable he would be in the equivalent of QPRs reserves refusing a loan move a la SWP.

I'd say every single player in your first sentence with the right coaching has the ability to enable him to play a bit more central as well as wide - certainly at the age Sterling is currently at.

I'm not suggesting you are necessarily, but of those who show such derision at comparisons to SWP, Lennon and Townsend I think many are falling in to the trap of benefitting from hindsight. We know what happened/is happening to each of those players and how they regressed; the comparison is not a compliment. But take SWP - Chelsea and Man City each spent millions on him, sky high wages, he had England caps and I've no doubt press clippings from SWP at the time would have been just the same as those for Sterling. Townsend was England's saviour who qualified us for the World Cup and would lead the charge, and he was in great form for Tottenham at the time. Again, press clippings at the time would have been little different from Sterling.

Sterling had a great season during that which Sturridge and Suarez were by far the most in form partnership in the world. They were not so in form because of Sterling. In my opinion Sterling was a beneficiary of their prowess and the way Rogers let him play. I see it as one of those fluke seasons for Sterling, just as it was a fluke season for Liverpool. I'm not calling him a poor player, but I would call him very limited in footballing ability. Sometimes not being great with the ball at your feet is no biggie - Flint, but when his game relies almost solely on pace he's on a tightrope. If his legs start to show their strain, as happens seemingly to most of these what I call 'sprinters-first-footballers-second' players, then I see no reason why in 8 years time it's unthinkable he would be in the equivalent of QPRs reserves refusing a loan move a la SWP.

I don't think they do... All 3 needs space to benefit there game. Sterling is skillful enough and IMO has a bit more techinical ability than the others.

I've never really got the hype with Townsend scored a few goals for England but the majority of the time he cuts inside and shoots (yes sometimes it comes off but mainly it doesn't)

I agree with the fact that Suarez and Sturridge were the main 2 for Liverpool but Sterling did have a very good season and last season without them he was there attacking threat. He isn't a clinical finisher infact he's quite poor but the amount of chances he created for them has got to be up there in terms of stats.

I think you're slightly under valuing him by saying he's a sprinter first then a footballer second and in 8 years time I would imagine he will be one of England's main players (which he probably is right now) and playing regularly for a big club in Europe.

I agree and I will add the sadly late Laurie Cunningham to your list, another that Real Madrid broke the bank for and dubbed the most expensive corner taker in football.

Archived