IGNORED

Sod To Liverpool?

BITW

Absolutely true he signed some good players and already had some good players at the club, but he couldn't translate player ability into good team performance. What I can remember is the City back four very slowly passing the ball to each other for an age, then running out of options, so just resorting to an aimless long ball.

70% possession in your own half is what it's all about.

Agreed, sod tried to convince everyone that football was some kind of science, and if you criticised him, it was because you did have the brains to understand how football works. When we were relegated we showed no attempt at fighting our way out of it whatsoever, and when he was at doncaster and they were relegated, their league record was pathetic. How he has a job in football still is a mystery to me, maybe he sells his employers a dan brown story line, pseudo intellectual which makes you feel good avout yourself if you can understand the plot.

Ermmmm... I'll think you'll find modern football has become a science. And it is those teams who have embraced 'numbers and pecentages' who have gained an advantage over others and thrived.

The teams who are no longer working in a 'traditional' manner.

The majority of fans have no idea how football Clubs are run these days....no idea at all.

And the history rewrite continues

Sod was a failure as a manager he may be a good coach but as a manager he was the worst in this clubs entire history

In the same breath....you could also say SL is the worst owner we've ever had....money put in, choice of managers and poor decisions....but he isn't, because for all his mistakes he's made progress....eventually.

Like many things in history....you only see the figures, but often don't hear about the reasons and background to them.

Without any doubt....SoD laid the foundation for SC to take us forward. The combination of both managers has worked in our favour.

We wouldn't be where we are now as a Club, if SC had been brought in before SoD....the two appointments have made us stronger.

What people fail to think about often, is the common theme both SC and SoD have....in the manner of Keith Burt.

His appointment and how we go about recruiting, is a philosophy brought about by Club and SoD....and SC bought into it.

They work as a team to find players and agree on a system of play etc. It's far more complex than most have any idea about.

Under SOD I witnessed the worst football I've ever seen at Ashton Gate, turgid football, awful to watch and and invite to go and do something else on a Saturday other than take my seat in the stand would always be accepted. Was it him that made it awful? or was it the five pillars thing or a combination of the two? But it was the most miserable period of watching football in my 40 years of going down there on a Saturday. 

It really is a strange appointment. He can talk a good game, albeit in a totally tedious monotone, but he lacks any emotion or enthusiasm, spirt or passion. All of which are pretty bloody important when a team is in the wrong half of the table. In fact, thinking about it he's almost the complete opposite of Holloway. 

Under SOD I witnessed the worst football I've ever seen at Ashton Gate, turgid football, awful to watch and and invite to go and do something else on a Saturday other than take my seat in the stand would always be accepted. Was it him that made it awful? or was it the five pillars thing or a combination of the two? But it was the most miserable period of watching football in my 40 years of going down there on a Saturday. 

It really is a strange appointment. He can talk a good game, albeit in a totally tedious monotone, but he lacks any emotion or enthusiasm, spirt or passion. All of which are pretty bloody important when a team is in the wrong half of the table. In fact, thinking about it he almost the complete opposite of Holloway. 

With respect....it's this type of thinking that typifies the majority of British football fans.....shouting, showing emotion, spirit and passion at a game is going to win games....really? And you use Holloway as a good example...seriously?

Sorry...but that's football from the dark ages.

Where is Holloway now?

SoD....in England set up...now Liverpool....you can't get much higher than those two.

But hey....lets not think we know more about football than those two eh? ;)

I recall plenty of people here saying that the way his Doncaster side played was something they'd love to see more of at Ashton Gate. Granted that was some years ago but surely he was a success over the length of his time there. Don't most managerial appointments end in a sacking? The good times can't last forever.

I might be wrong about Forest but I'm sure he had them near the playoffs around Christmas time and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought it was a bizarre sacking.

He did do some good things here, mostly in some of the players he brought in but, barring a handful of exceptions, on the pitch it was a continuation of uninspiring football and results.

I find it quite bizarre that Liverpool are interested though.

Donny did play some good football for a time under him there is no use denying that. But there are rafts of mediocre managers out there who have had good spells at one time or another. The test of a very good manager is sustaining success, he could not do that.

In my eyes there was little bizarre about the Forest sacking except that it came after a good win. He spent fortunes there and flirting with the playoffs, which they were, was not good enough. He had all the potential to do to Forest what Coppell did here. Funnily enough, Coppell was instrumental (apparently) in bringing him in to Crawley, who he walked out on after replacing backroom staff and before a ball was even kicked.

I'll not deny he did some good at the club, but nowhere near enough to justify where we were going under him.

With respect....it's this type of thinking that typifies the majority of British football fans.....shouting, showing emotion, spirit and passion at a game is going to win games....really? And you use Holloway as a good example...seriously?

Where is Holloway now?

SoD....in England set up...now Liverpool....you can't get much higher than those two.

It doesn't matter what he did before or since it's what he did here that counts

His failure to install a fighting spirit in the team that Millen and mcinnes did before him got us relegated from the championship

His poor tactics and lack of man management almost got us relegated from league one

Those are facts backed up with stats the gates were dropping faster then the gas through the league the gate was regularly empty at 70 minutes in a match because of how shit he got us playing

No amount of history rewriting or you calling 90% of our fan base thick will change that

He simply was Bristol city's worse ever manager full stop

But, you can't knock the facts:

Signed Fielding, Flint, Williams, JET and gave Joe Bryan the game time!!!!!

Yes and it was Cotts who got the best out of them. Flint in particular was awful under SoD his turn around had been remarkable and Cotts must take some of the credit for that.

And Nick Clegg was a deputy prime minister, Paolo Di Canio, Ian Dowie, Glenn Roeder they were all Premier League Managers. Dean Saunders still gets jobs in the football league. As for Liverpool and their 'recruitment', when was the last time they appointed someone who was truly successful? What about England? Hmmm sorry if I don't hang on every appointment as an undeniable endorsement. It's not about knowing more, it's about applying our own experiences.

Competence is not always rewarded and incompetence is not always punished.

I don't think there's any doubting SOD's efforts off the pitch. He left us with just the one loss in seven games - many were annoyed by the decision (which actually proved to be the correct one in the end) because he was starting to turn things around. He introduced the 3-5-2 system that we continued to use under Cotterill to much success. Signed Fielding, Flint, Williams, JET and gave Joe Bryan the game time he needed as a youngster. He certainly gave Cotterill a good foundation to build on.

Turning the momentum around immediately after a relegation is a tough ask. SOD always said the first season was a rebuild and the second we should be looking to get promoted, no excuses.

The board made the right decision bringing Cotts in, but I think SOD did a lot of good here during his short time - although, admittedly, this was mostly off the pitch. Up until the Wolves game, gave us a fighting chance of staying up - which looked impossible towards the end of the McInnes reign. We were just drawing too many games at the start of 13/14, but I believe that things were turning around (as shown by the 1 loss in 7). Whether we would have done as well in 14/15 - I very much doubt - so, as said previously, getting rid was the correct decision, but SOD wasn't all bad.

Unbelievable

Sheff United home was the worst game I have ever witnessed at the gate under SOD

Completely agree this game surely represents the benchmark for rubbish ,  I don't think we got out of our half let alone attacked for about 80 minutes; to anyone who didn't go England v Algeria in the world cup was a goal fest in comparison.

Good luck SOD. I for one found his interviews interesting most of the time. I think he will do well at Liverpool, and agree an assistant manager post suits him. Remember he said he was not a manager but a coach.

Ok so he was a sh1t coach.

Where is Holloway now?

Nah, I know what I saw and it was bloody horrible.

In essence, my last point was that Holloway's football was all passion and no brain, whereas SOD was all brain and no passion. Clearly you need a mixture of both depending on the situation. 

A lot of rewriting history going on here. A few vocal fans were annoyed he got sacked. But by far the majority were overjoyed. I have never hated going to football before but I genuinely did under SOD. 

Staggering how some disciples are still pedalling myths about SOD. When will you learn?

As a note wasn't Phill Brown a good manager once upon a time. Lots of managers have good spells in their carriers, it doesn't make them good managers.  

So how on earth can he get sacked by us for doing such a bad job then go on to managing the England under 19's and now assistant manager at one of the biggest clubs in the country??

It doesn't matter what he did before or since it's what he did here that counts

His failure to install a fighting spirit in the team that Millen and mcinnes did before him got us relegated from the championship

His poor tactics and lack of man management almost got us relegated from league one

Those are facts backed up with stats the gates were dropping faster then the gas through the league the gate was regularly empty at 70 minutes in a match because of how shit he got us playing

No amount of history rewriting or you calling 90% of our fan base thick will change that

He simply was Bristol city's worse ever manager full stop

I love the way you make football sound so black and white fella.

You've not taken into consideration any of the circumstances and what players SoD had to deal with in that relegation season. You've simply looked at Stats, and said he was the worst. You obviously have no understanding of the running of this Club, and how things have changed since he was here. Implementing a philosophy that the Club, Burt and himself put together.

SC has been able to take the Club forward using that foundation with Burt...probably playing the most attractive football for a long time, with the least amount of money in a while.

What most people don't realise, is the amount of hours he put into this Club, changing things. He put a lot of noses out of joint here. People who were settled and not pulling their weight...on an easy ride. That's changed...people from all parts of the Club are now working as one. The only thing I haven't seen implemented, or unaware of, is a budget for recruitment of development players.

To his detriment, those hours fixing the Clubs backroom, probably went against him on the field.

And please do not make statements like 'calling 90% of our fans thick'....as I have not done so.

No offense.... But It speaks volumes as to your understanding and how you critique, when you make things up, and also see things like a football Club and it's stats, in such a black and white way, and take no consideration into circumstances.

Do you actually believe SoD was a worse manager than lets say Russell Osman?

Do you actually believe we would be in a stronger position if we had stayed up and continued in the same vein?

And as for how 'shit he got us playing'....did you not watch and see what he was trying to achieve?

Yes...it failed by results....but it was only down to certain players not understanding their roles and implementing them, and very often individual mistakes that cost us games. We were turning a corner.... if you look how SC has continued in the same vein, recruiting wisely and sticking to Burts and SoD's philosophy of playing then you can still see that Blueprint in action.

In hindsight...the Club made the right move...but i'm in no doubt at all, that SC would not be doing so well, if it wasn't for what SoD installed here first.

SC can purely focus on the first team and not other issues at the Club.

One thing is for certain...whenever a topic about SoD comes on this forum, it certainly brings to light a certain understanding of where forum contributors are coming from....it's quiet enlightening. He's definitely a Marmite subject ;)

Where is Holloway now?

Holloway was a poor example, but I can think of other managers similar, like.. erm.. oh yeah Steve Cotterill, dark ages? Really? If Cotterill had SODS dull, boring personality do you reckon we'd be in the championship?

Spudski, I've asked of you a couple of times, perhaps for those who are not enlightened as to how the club runs you would explain:

- what back room changes he implemented;

- what noses he put out of joint, how and why;

- how he worked with Burt;

- which policies of his SC has persevered with, those he has ditched; and

- what changes emanated from him as opposed to strategically at board level.

Until explaining that you may run a danger of others interpreting what you've written as the equivalent of hot air and no substance.

I'm not digging you out here fella or trying to catch you out, just helping along because you won't convince without substance. The tidbits I have lead me to believe he did do some good behind the scenes, but a lot more of it was directed at him as opposed to his own initiatives, in spite of how he liked to say the 'club appointed me because they came round to my way of thinking'.

I love the way you make football sound so black and white fella.

You've not taken into consideration any of the circumstances and what players SoD had to deal with in that relegation season. You've simply looked at Stats, and said he was the worst. You obviously have no understanding of the running of this Club, and how things have changed since he was here. Implementing a philosophy that the Club, Burt and himself put together.

SC has been able to take the Club forward using that foundation with Burt...probably playing the most attractive football for a long time, with the least amount of money in a while.

What most people don't realise, is the amount of hours he put into this Club, changing things. He put a lot of noses out of joint here. People who were settled and not pulling their weight...on an easy ride. That's changed...people from all parts of the Club are now working as one. The only thing I haven't seen implemented, or unaware of, is a budget for recruitment of development players.

To his detriment, those hours fixing the Clubs backroom, probably went against him on the field.

And please do not make statements like 'calling 90% of our fans thick'....as I have not done so.

No offense.... But It speaks volumes as to your understanding and how you critique, when you make things up, and also see things like a football Club and it's stats, in such a black and white way, and take no consideration into circumstances.

Do you actually believe SoD was a worse manager than lets say Russell Osman?

Do you actually believe we would be in a stronger position if we had stayed up and continued in the same vein?

And as for how 'shit he got us playing'....did you not watch and see what he was trying to achieve?

Yes...it failed by results....but it was only down to certain players not understanding their roles and implementing them, and very often individual mistakes that cost us games. We were turning a corner.... if you look how SC has continued in the same vein, recruiting wisely and sticking to Burts and SoD's philosophy of playing then you can still see that Blueprint in action.

In hindsight...the Club made the right move...but i'm in no doubt at all, that SC would not be doing so well, if it wasn't for what SoD installed here first.

SC can purely focus on the first team and not other issues at the Club.

One thing is for certain...whenever a topic about SoD comes on this forum, it certainly brings to light a certain understanding of where forum contributors are coming from....it's quiet enlightening. He's definitely a Marmite subject ;)

I'm pretty sure they were the same players cotts had to deal with until the end of the season

Except cotts actually got them performing

No amount of history changing will hide the fact that he was city's worse ever manager

And yes sod was worse the pulls osman and bunny combined, pulls had us playing like Brazil compared to the absolute ******* shit sod had us playing

50 passes along the back four then lump it hard and high to a 5ft 6" striker..........wonderful and entertaining

I'm pretty sure they were the same players cotts had to deal with until the end of the season

No amount of history changing will hide the fact that he was city's worse ever manager

And yes sod was worse the pulls osman and bunny combined, pulls had us playing like Brazil compared to the absolute ******* shit sod had us playing

50 passes along the back four then lump it hard and high to a 5ft 6" striker..........wonderful and entertaining

I miss those days. We should have a protest to get SOD reinstated. 

A complete lack of understanding of football on your part their fella...and a short memory on how well SC used the loan window not long after he was appointed.

The fact you actually think the football trying to be played and implemented, although not always successful, was worse than Osman and Pullis speaks volumes.

Also the fact you put Benny in amongst those two, just shows me again your lack of understanding, of what managers have tried to do in difficult circumstances.

The fact you don't understand why we were trying to keep possession and had to resort to a long pass down the channel, purely because the midfield and forwards weren't making the movement required, again shows your lack of understanding of what we were trying to do.

We will have to agree to disagree...all good fella....we obviously watch our football through different eyes. ;)

A complete lack of understanding of football on your part their fella...and a short memory on how well SC used the loan window not long after he was appointed.

The fact you actually think the football trying to be played and implemented, although not always successful, was worse than Osman and Pullis speaks volumes.

Also the fact you put Benny in amongst those two just shows me again your lack of understanding of what managers have tried to do in difficult circumstances.

The fact you don't understand why we were trying to keep possession and had to resort to a long pass down the channel, purely because the midfield and forwards weren't making the movement required, again shows your lack of understanding of what we were trying to do.

We will have to agree to disagree...all good fella....we obviously watch our football through different eyes. ;)

Because it was worse spudski at least under pulls and osman we would get results

Short answer

Football is a results based business yes or no?

Did we get results under sod yes or no?

If we showed signs of improvement in sod I would be a little more forgiving but we didn't the club went backwards so fast

Yes he had 1 defeat in 7 before he left but he also only won 2 of those and it took us until 22nd October to record our first win of the season and he went 21 games without a single win or march till October

He is the worst manager in the clubs history you can not change that fact to suit your argument

Archived