IGNORED

Our U21's Ready To Step Up .

Major Isewater

View the lack of senior players added to the squad are there any of our U 21's ready to step up to the mark ?

There seems to be a problem generally in English football with youngsters coming through , particularly higher up the leagues where fear of failure means most clubs would prefer to buy in " known " quality than giving a chance to a young pro to advance his career .

There were times last season where we didn't have 7 players for the bench - Steve didn't give a u21 player a chance then & that was L1 - doesn't give you the impression he is overly confident with promoting any up to senior squad yet based on that

There were times last season where we didn't have 7 players for the bench - Steve didn't give a u21 player a chance then & that was L1 - doesn't give you the impression he is overly confident with promoting any up to senior squad yet based on that

Difference between then and now is he has a under 21 manager he trusts fully, if wade comes to cotts and says joe morrel is worth a place on the bench then cotts will put him on the bench,

But with anything, you just don't know until we've tried it

Judge for yourself in 11 days time at Mangotsfield.

We've had and got good players...it's now getting them to play the same way as the first team, and move up seamlessly.

I think we are trying to improve the gap between the development squads and the first team....in the past we've neglected that.

We've had and got good players...it's now getting them to play the same way as the first team, and move up seamlessly.

I think we are trying to improve the gap between the development squads and the first team....in the past we've neglected that.

not been helped the huge turnover in managers of our development squads over recent years! Hopefully with wade there will be more continuity and with that the opportunity for those players to progress more 

Will this game still be happening?

Only concern is with such a small squad Cott's will be taken a few u21's to make up the numbers in Portugal.

To be honest I thought that was one of the stranger decisions from last season. Why only go with 6 when you have a under 21 squad? The only reasons I can think of is that they were already in action that weekend with the under 21's or they may get their wages bumped up by being included in the first team squad :shifty:

Will this game still be happening?

Only concern is with such a small squad Cott's will be taken a few u21's to make up the numbers in Portugal.

As it stands there are no U21`s travelling to portugal with the 1st team he is SC is taking two of the scholars both full backs .

I don't really know of too many, Morrell and Andrews are highly rated but unsure whether they'd have the physicality or know how for championship football, especially in midfield.

Similar to Richards maybe one of the young keepers will make the bench if we don't get a no.2 in.

Billy murphy is ahead of the 2 players you have mentioned in the pecking order,as for Jake Andrews I wouldnt say ``highly rated`` he is a tidy player but some way away from first team .

He has a very busy agent who is known to the club to spread rumours that teams are interested in Jake .

Just before the end of the last season his agent spread a rumour that there was a few teams tracking him,this was done to try and get Jake a Pro contract this didnt work and Tinns held firm hence Jake is on a scholars wage .

As it stands there are no U21`s travelling to portugal with the 1st team he is SC is taking two of the scholars both full backs .

So we will have:

2 back up CM's (Waggy, Reid)

1 back up CB (El-Abd)

No back up striker or keeper?

Seem's odd he's taken full backs when we have Cunningham and Wagstaff.

Going to be a very light squad!

Billy murphy is ahead of the 2 players you have mentioned in the pecking order,as for Jake Andrews I wouldnt say ``highly rated`` he is a tidy player but some way away from first team .

He has a very busy agent who is known to the club to spread rumours that teams are interested in Jake .

Just before the end of the last season his agent spread a rumour that there was a few teams tracking him,this was done to try and get Jake a Pro contract this didnt work and Tinns held firm hence Jake is on a scholars wage .

I did suspect something about Andrew's agent but I've watched him play and was impressed, only twice though. I haven't seen Murphy really, how far off first team is he?

So we will have:

2 back up CM's (Waggy, Reid)

1 back up CB (El-Abd)

No back up striker or keeper?

Seem's odd he's taken full backs when we have Cunningham and Wagstaff.

Going to be a very light squad!

Freeman can play up front if needed with Reid playing an advanced role,

Freeman can play up front if needed with Reid playing an advanced role,

But 2 games in 4 days, with only 3 experienced subs, slightly worrying. Hope we get no injuries.

Hopefully Cott's is expecting 1 or 2 players before next Saturday?

But 2 games in 4 days, with only 3 experienced subs, slightly worrying. Hope we get no injuries.

Hopefully Cott's is expecting 1 or 2 players before next Saturday?

Nothing stopping us from inviting trialists to attend,

I'm sure cotts know what he's doing

I did suspect something about Andrew's agent but I've watched him play and was impressed, only twice though. I haven't seen Murphy really, how far off first team is he?

I like Murphy. He's already got a few first team appearances to his name at Hereford, though obviously that was in the Conference. We did well to sign him as Tottenham were interested. Possibly Newcastle too.

Holding midfielder who uses the ball very well.

I have some sympathy with what you say. However kids get bigger and stronger and so this will have an impact on readiness and confidence.

My own thought is as far as players coming through are concerned the big question marks are around Burns ad Reid at least making 16 on match day.

For those of my age; remember Geoff Merrick becoming the youngest captain in the League. He was 21 at the time. We also had a 19 year old Gerry Gow in the same team. Has the ability of today's youngsters dropped dramatically?

For those of my age; remember Geoff Merrick becoming the youngest captain in the League. He was 21 at the time. We also had a 19 year old Gerry Gow in the same team. Has the ability of today's youngsters dropped dramatically?

different times them. boys were apprentice then, the cleaning the pros boots job, imagine that now!!

first game I ever went to at the gate was England schoolboys v wales.

captained by Geoff merrick,England 4/2wales.

has a bristolion captained England since at any level?

different times them. boys were apprentice then, the cleaning the pros boots job, imagine that now!!

I have the programme for that match.

The Academy players at Southampton still clean the first team players boots.

Each first team player gets an Academy player who plays in the same position as him, and takes him under his wing.

That Club know how to develop not just players but well balanced people.

Not only cleaning boots, painting railings, fixing or fitting seats in the stands, cleaning the stands after games, and once in a while a bit of "training" for an hour or so. Saturdays were games in the Western League which was almost literally men v boys most of the time. You try telling the kids of today that.....

The training is the most important aspect and there'd be not much benefit to playing men in the western league. The rest of it, cleaning boots and the like, would still be good grounding now.

Archived