IGNORED

Stockhausen - "it's So Quiet On The Bristol City Beat"

ChippenhamRed

Can't see City being happy Stockhausen tweeted about Bunn before it was all finalised, maybe stopped sending stuff his way.

Didn't see what was actually said about Bunn but understand words "done deal" were banded around ?

If so , and thus upset the said "deal", then I can well see the club being unhappy with whomever let the cork off the cider jar.

Has anyone considered that the longer deals are delayed the better your negotiation position is?

Burt is an experience football man and will have learnt all the tricks of the trade. I can't imagine anything gets by him.

Quite the opposite, other clubs will be aware that we haven't signed anyone and that we have a very small squad, and could raise the asking price accordingly if we are perceived to be desperate.

And?

So your comment that everyone was on holiday since May was patently bollocks.

I don't mind admitting it, I'm concerned, despite what you might think, I'm sure we've missed out on several first choice targets and now have less than three weeks to sign the five players we need to ensure we have the full complement of players at Hillsborough.

Sorry to shatter any illusions....but football is a 24/7, 365 day business....just because the season finishes on the pitch, it doesn't mean everything stops....in fact it gets busier in the 'off season'.

Board, Managers, Agents and players are all doing 'business'.....they maybe doing it from the side of a pool in the Maldives, but never the less....still doing business.

It's crazy to think football stops during the 'off season'....

Nonsense. June is always quiet, with players taking their holidays. Unless international tournaments are on and then they are busy with that.

When are they back from Portugal? Next weekend?

There won't be any signings announced before then as Cotts is away but there's a good chance Burt is getting close to finalising a few deals. I'd hope signings to start being announced in the week of the 27th once they're back. If we haven't signed anyone by the 1st August (a week after they're back from Portugal) then that's when I'll start getting worried

It's frustrating but can't see much happening this week whilst their still away.

Quiet before the storm, perhaps?

Last year the tour was used to bond the squad; perhaps this year it is to assess it?

May well be we have a list of targets for different positions, and are taking stock in Portugal in order to see where best to direct resources?

By and large we've a young team; in a way it must be a difficult task assessing who will manage the step up, or which players might struggle, especially when they are all away from the club.

Putting them through initial training, then the Portugal camp, will give the coaching team a better sense of what they might need.

Indeed the little rumours we have heard about (Bunn and the Hull lad) are perhaps more about us accessing what the market looks like for those positions were the management to come home next week thinking that we are better off sinking more money/energy into improving the defence or goalkeepers than elsewhere.

Think a lot of the 'glass half fulls' (not an insult; completely understandable position to take) are presuming we've not got who we want due to the wait, but actually it might just be we didn't want to roll our dice (because every signing is a gamble) before we had a better idea of what we needed.

Imagine we'll get at least one forward in, thanks to Agard's surgery, but otherwise I'm loath to predict where else we will see new faces tbh.

Either way; can see us becoming more proactive once we return, and for all the concerns to be for naught.

Nonsense. June is always quiet, with players taking their holidays. Unless international tournaments are on and then they are busy with that.

Are you for real? You actually believe football comes to a halt when everyone is on holiday?

Even in the 'real world' people do 'business' whilst on holiday...so you think football is different?

My Agent friends are constantly on the phone to players, managers, Directors and like over the close season....'Business' get's done regardless....football doesn't come to a stop....sorry fella, and with respect, but you are living in a world of make believe if you think that.

In Cotts I trust.

A little uneasy though that we won promotion early with the ability to bring in new players at the start of the window and, seemingly, thrown that advantage away. Also a tadge surprised that we released JET, who was our magician, without, seemingly, a ready-made replacement lined up. Williams, as well, I thought could play a squad role particularly with El Bad marginalised.

Doubt that Burns will make the step up, certainly as a goal-scorer, despite Cotts giving him every opportunity. Reid may be able to get on the fringes of the squad.

We're wafer thin at present in many positions. No panic just yet, but time for some action methinks particularly a goal scorer, plus a JET replacement , otherwise, we'll be embedding players when the real action starts.

just because some players(not all) go on holiday doesn't mean the clubs grind to an halt! Agents of out of contract players are furiously trying to find their players new deals! In many ways June can even busier just not in traditional sense of matches!

I have no problem with the players who did so well last season being given a chance this season, but for the first game of the season Agard, Tavernier, Little, Jet and Elliott will be missing.

So I find it incredible that with three weeks remaining until the start of the new season, no replacements have been signed and this seems to be a situation the Management have accepted almost since the end of last season.

Remember, Osborne has been loaned out for the season and we have not signed a replacement as we have not signed anybody, so Clubs can do business.

SC interview after last nights game, he is not even asked a question about new signings.

I won't reveal my source for this, but I understand that the delay in making signings this summer and the rumours connecting Cotterill with Leicester may not be entirely unrelated. My understanding is that the club would prefer not to be in the position in which it now finds itself as regards signings.

hmmm, if there was uncertainty whether Cotts would be jumping ship (he does have form for doing that) that could explain why we seem behind the curve with signings.

Let's face it, having lost JET, Tavenier, Saville & Elliot from the playing squad plus the injuries to Agard & Little, it makes no sense that we have not strengthen before the pre-season tour. Missing out on Grigg who seemed to fit the club's stated profile (up to 24 and could appreciate in value) was for me as big a disappointment as us not having Matt Smith lined up. 

Has anyone considered that the longer deals are delayed the better your negotiation position is?

Burt is an experience football man and will have learnt all the tricks of the trade. I can't imagine anything gets by him.

exactly that and more likely to land players who want to play football and not just get rich quick

I have no problem with the players who did so well last season being given a chance this season, but for the first game of the season Agard, Tavernier, Little, Jet and Elliott will be missing.

So I find it incredible that with three weeks remaining until the start of the new season, no replacements have been signed and this seems to be a situation the Management have accepted almost since the end of last season.

Remember, Osborne has been loaned out for the season and we have not signed a replacement as we have not signed anybody, so Clubs can do business.

SC interview after last nights game, he is not even asked a question about new signings.

He would have pre arranged the questions...as to what to ask and what not to.

Waste of time...'good run out for the lads'....pretty much.

And people complained about SoD....we've gone from one extreme to the other.

We get the least informative and detailed responses from SC...you might as well not interview him, as what he says is self explanatory anyway.

We've obviously missed a few first-choice targets, as happened regularly last time we were in the Championship. The difference this time seems to be that we're not willing to take a chance on second-best options, since once they've signed you've got them on the wage bill for 3 years whether they're any good or not (as with El-Abd). I think they'd rather hang on to the money this time until a player they really want comes up, plan B must be to make up the numbers with loans which are lower risk, and maybe give one or two of the under-21's an occasional run-out.

It's not like cotteril said don't except signings until end of July.......

Last year we were a big fish in a small pond and quite a few signings were on free s . But whatever reason we have to be patient.In this league we can't offer the best wages/best location.

I'm worrying a Bit of course but as long as we don't sell anyone and add to the quality we have then I'm still really excited!

I have a feeling we haven't missed out on that many players but it seems Bunn was a target but we may never know .

At least I'm not the only one who read that signings might not happen until the end of July, I can't find the quote, but I was certain SC said it.

As to who we sign, that's best left to the people in charge, they've done pretty well so far so let's give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Going into the first league match with the squad we currently have would be a bit scary in terms of numbers, I'm sure signings are on the way.

I won't reveal my source for this, but I understand that the delay in making signings this summer and the rumours connecting Cotterill with Leicester may not be entirely unrelated. My understanding is that the club would prefer not to be in the position in which it now finds itself as regards signings.

If true I'm both slightly surprised and, despite some concern at the failure to strengthen the squad to date, quite reassured. I'm surprised if it is indeed the case that Leicester were seriously considering Steve Cotterill as their manager. I'd have thought they'd be looking for a trophy manager, although perhaps a rather more promising one than the one they signed. If Cotts was in the frame it speaks volumes for his reputation. And so I'm reassured that he's stayed. And I'm reassured that the club is taking time and reacting to events. 

It has been quiet. It doesn't worry me but I am awfully anxious waiting for that first one. There is no doubt we need the numbers. 3 permanent and 2 loan would be a great start. Assuming El-Abd leaves, we will need a CB, a GK, 2 strikers and a creative MF. There is 5 and keep Reid and Burns around the squad. Plus Agard and Little returning gives us a squad of around 20 which should get us to January as we don't have JPT at all and FA Cup starts in January. Only COC left and the 23 or so league games. A squad of 20 should get us there. Then we can assess what we need to finish the season. Also some of our original targets from the summer could become available by then.

We aren't doomed at all. The situation isn't as dire as some make it. If we haven't added to the squad in a month from now, then I'd be worried.

If true I'm both slightly surprised and, despite some concern at the failure to strengthen the squad to date, quite reassured. I'm surprised if it is indeed the case that Leicester were seriously considering Steve Cotterill as their manager. I'd have thought they'd be looking for a trophy manager, although perhaps a rather more promising one than the one they signed. If Cotts was in the frame it speaks volumes for his reputation. And so I'm reassured that he's stayed. And I'm reassured that the club is taking time and reacting to events.

I thought the new modern Bristol City was not fashioned on just one man .

We now have a DOF etc that ensures our continuity on the footballing side when we change managers dont we ?

It's also worth remembering how good our squad is with new arrivals. Every loan player we've had has said how quickly the group made them feel settled, I know every player says that but you can see it being genuine with our lot. So maybe Cotterill doesn't have to worry about new players gelling/bonding with the current team as he knows that's not a problem, so can afford to leave it until after Portugal to sign players.

Another concern is that players are having to play whole matches, when normally thre would be mass substitutions in friendlies. Isn't this likely to increase the chance of injuries? What happens if someone picks up a little niggle during a game in Portugal, do they have to play on with it? Also, how is Wilbraham feeling? He is bound to play every minute and if he got injured where would we be then? 

Ye this is slightly worrying now. Such a great season last year but current squad just wont be strong enough. I thought some players would be queuing up to join us.

So....you're assuming that because City are yet to sign anyone that players don't want to join us?

Hmmmm......

Archived