IGNORED

Sc Sulking Or Is It A Positive? (Merged)

Tomo

Just watched the interview and it was worse than I expected.

Why does SC have to be such a petulant child whenever we lose?

How in anyway whatsoever is that interview good for this football club?

It was immature, divisive and above all unneccessary and unprofessional.

He really needs to try and cut it out. I don't dispute he's a passionate guy and wants to win badly - same goes for most football managers but there's a time and a place for it.

I'd imagine Luton, Brentford, Leeds will have watched that interview and be thinking "alls not well at Bristol City" and are licking their lips at the prospect of playing us.

The defeat and even the performance I can take but for the most public embassador of our club to come out with that on the opening day of the season on national TV makes this a very bad start to the season.

He really needs to try and cut it out. I don't dispute he's a passionate guy and wants to win badly - same goes for most football managers but there's a time and a place for it.

I'd imagine Luton, Brentford, Leeds will have watched that interview and be thinking "alls not well at Bristol City" and are licking their lips at the prospect of playing us.

The defeat and even the performance I can take but for the most public embassador of our club to come out with that on the opening day of the season on national TV makes this a very bad start to the season.

Quite right.  I thought the interview was embarassing and does a disservice to the club.  I know that Cotterill did well last season, but he needs to adapt quickly to the new challenges of the new division or be on his way.  He needs to prove himself at this level as well as the players.

Nail on the head there KITR.

I must have seen this 'bottom six budget' written about 20 times.. I have asked before and I will ask again.. can somebody please show proof of this otherwise its plain wrong to espouse it as if its a carved in stone fact. Until that information comes to surface its utterly laughable what people write. Shameful in fact.

You asked for proof and until then - certain comments were 'laughable' - 'shameful'........

I've found that interview where the "bottom six budget" is alluded too. Sound like it had already been mentioned by "Keith" (Burt or Dawe) previously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32383723

Eric supplied it ( thank's Eric)

I just refer you to my second and last paragraph. Unless you are being very dry and droll don't be a religious fanatic.

And i just remembered... The only thing i really had in the back of my mind, i think the most critical, was the comment 'we will compete'. Lets give these guys running the club some slack. Quite pathetic all this neurotic hysteria.

I'm not sure how me bringing your attention to what BCFC have said in public qualifies as  religious fanaticism ( droll or dry) but bless you for your input  and hope you now have the proof you required to back up the 20 comments you have questioned as being potentially 'plain wrong'.

There's always a danger for some of getting neurotically hysterical about neurotic hysteria.

This, although I'd be a lot more worried about what our players think about it than what our opponents think. Must hardly feel them with confidence if that's his persona. Such a shame the mood around the camp is like this after what was our most successful season in God knows how long.

Quite right.  I thought the interview was embarassing and does a disservice to the club.  I know that Cotterill did well last season, but he needs to adapt quickly to the new challenges of the new division or be on his way.  He needs to prove himself at this level as well as the players.

Well, that would be marvellous wouldn't it.

The bloke who's revitalised this desperately failing football club, given us one of the most successful and memorable seasons for decades, and proved himself beyond doubt at this level at Burnley by becoming the Championship's longest serving manager, needs to buck up his ideas or shove off?

Fantastic prospect in store - still Hollowhead's available again isn't he?  :doh:

Quite right.  I thought the interview was embarassing and does a disservice to the club.  I know that Cotterill did well last season, but he needs to adapt quickly to the new challenges of the new division or be on his way.  He needs to prove himself at this level as well as the players.

Simply astounding.

It's not down to SC regarding the size of the war chest. That's down to a number of financial factors and the decisions made by the likes financial men like Pelling and Junior Lansdown.

As for our midfield influence. Remember that Wade Elliot has gone into coaching and so far SC has not been able to fill that gap. Elliot was not only very experienced but was a classy player as well.

Yeah I know SC has no control, my concern is that he may struggle without that spending power. We basically bought the best of League One last season, he doesn't have the option for that strategy this season and it would seem the purse strings are being kept tight to avoid us ending up how we were financially not so long ago. Time will tell on that one.

I also agree about Elliot, we missed him a lot yesterday but the concern is how can you fill that gap in the championship of the purse strings are tight? A solid, commanding CM like Elliott is not cheap by any means.

Brave, and very good post IMO

What also struck me with his last three interviews is -

He's hardly likely to be bringing prices or wage demands down for players we are hoping to bring in is he !!!

Let's portray to the whole football world how desperate we are !!!

For all his smoke and mirror praise on here I would suggest he should be saying 'we are pretty happy with the quality of the squad but may look to bring in one or two if we think they will improve us' (or along those lines) even if he's in a complete panic inside

Hope I'm wrong but he appears severely p'd off and very *****ly - does suggest a *****ly time behind the scenes

Cotterill's interviews usually crack me up when we lose, cause he's often so angry and such a bad loser, but I like that.

This interview, and the one at Yeovil, were completely differently though. The man sounds dejected. Similar to what Kid said, if you heard an interview like that from another manager your thoughts would be along the lines of, 'Bloody hell something's not right there'.

Cotterill's interviews usually crack me up when we lose, cause he's often so angry and such a bad loser, but I like that.

This interview, and the one at Yeovil, were completely differently though. The man sounds dejected. Similar to what Kid said, if you heard an interview like that from another manager your thoughts would be along the lines of, 'Bloody hell something's not right there'.

Or what about prospective signings? Why are they going to want to come to City when the manager comes across as negative as that?

Maybe Pembo should do the interviews when we lose...

Vince Lombardi's famous quote says " show me a good loser and I will show you a loser"

SC is not a good loser, but is a very good winner. I know which of the two I prefer.

P.S. He could do with a bit of  coaching in how to conduct interviews following a defeat though.

Which is fine for Boro.  They will be expecting promotion at least a play off.  They have everything in place in which they are able to offer a player that. An established Championship side with premiership capability.  We are not, yet.

Expectations this year should include survival in this league, and consolidate.  I say survival, I mean comfortable survival.

We cant run before we learn to walk.  Deep breath and trust in what we are trying to build.  We have great people involved with this club, who like us, would love more.  But it takes time.  They and the players have to be given time.

I have seen SC lose.  It looks like he is going to implode.  I would seriously worry for the guy's health above all else if we have a bad season.

Stay the course City.

Stevo

I agree!  And if you listened to the SL interview you would have also heard him say about trying to compete with the ex prem clubs who have parachute payments for 4 years.

Common sense! Premium stuff on here!

I have waited all my life for a manager with this kind of passion that wins trophies, yes he may not be everyone's taste, but I don't care about what others like and dislike in people's demeanours I want to fuc king win.

!

You might not care what others like or dislike , that may be fine in relation to other supporters but not too good if it is the players in the dressing room r those he's trying to convince to sign for Bristol City

Before you say the players were very happy last year - yes they were - players are when they're winning (And Sc did a great great job )

I want a winning manager too as I would suggest every single fan does but I said a number of times last season that the real test of SC as in any manager is when things are not running smoothly - My fear, and Imtruly hope I'm wrong is that things could and I stress could go a bit pear shaped under SC quite quickly , ( I seriously hope I'm wrong) As I've said before - Many on here called GJ am'dressing room bully' and give this as a major reason his end of tenure here - Who do you think is more vocally aggressive with his players GJ or SC ?

Just a thought

We will all know a bit more in 6-10 games and a few weeks and I'm still sure we will be fine but SCs interviews do nothing to quell any nagging concerns I have

Just my opinion

Sorry to be daft, but which interview is everyone referring to? I've now watched the player interview and the Channel 5 one. The player one is 3 minutes long which is enough commentary from SC to prompt the analysis in this thread, yet could not in my opinion be any more a fair and matter of fact summary of the game as I saw it too - no sulking whatsoever, just honest. The C5 one is definitely sulking and bizarre to say the least, but at only two five second soundbites, didn't strike me as enough detail or colour to match the level of interpretation and discussion here. Genuine question, have I missed an interview somewhere where he goes off on one?

SoD was mullered on here and by SL for his negativity and for a couple of particular post match interviews

The only difference if anyone is honest is that SC has a big lump of recent success to throw on the table which tbf , of course gives him some leeway with all concerned but it's not good and can't happen every time things don't go right

Ole, ive only seen the c5 one, but that was enough to warrant the concerns i have.after dropping 2 million on an unproven striker, the only defence cotterill has is that he was promissed a massive transfer war chest that he feels hasnt materialised.

The issue is wages and probably agent fees. The fact we allegedly bid 3.5 for Guedioura, 2.5 on Maguire, 3 for Grey.. This is big money; not many players commanding those fees will pay for 8k per week!

You might not care what others like or dislike , that may be fine in relation to other supporters but not too good if it is the players in the dressing room r those he's trying to convince to sign for Bristol City

Before you say the players were very happy last year - yes they were - players are when they're winning (And Sc did a great great job )

I want a winning manager too as I would suggest every single fan does but I said a number of times last season that the real test of SC as in any manager is when things are not running smoothly - My fear, and Imtruly hope I'm wrong is that things could and I stress could go a bit pear shaped under SC quite quickly , ( I seriously hope I'm wrong) As I've said before - Many on here called GJ am'dressing room bully' and give this as a major reason his end of tenure here - Who do you think is more vocally aggressive with his players GJ or SC ?

Just a thought

We will all know a bit more in 6-10 games and a few weeks and I'm still sure we will be fine but SCs interviews do nothing to quell any nagging concerns I have

Just my opinion

Of course I respect your thoughts as above, however I will try and respond point by point.

1. I think SC is best placed to assess how to motivate the current dressing room. It was his style last season to comment on areas of our play that were deficient as it was yesterday, also pointing out the new boys are still to learn what is expected and giving a nod to Wes for coming on and knowing what was required and at what tempo. For the record we played ok without looking threatening and not alleviating pressure when being pressed. Clearly we will need to learn quickly or employ some experience

2 I'm not at all sure, players or agents will be put off by a manager who is a bit peed off by a defeat and implies he needs competition in certain areas, in fact if I was looking for a club or a move for a player I would be on the phone representing players who could fill that void...Which they will be tomorrow!

3 Your comment about most people wanting winning managers is taken, however reading some of the garbage written on here since SC's appointment there seems to be a few that have some kind of issue with SC and will take any opportunity to point out perceived failings

4 GJ was not as openly aggressive with his team as SC is, however I am not privy to the dressing room so it is difficult to say who is more aggressive. However both of them were successful and a manager's employment is always finite. GJ ended up dealing with a team that was not motivated by him anymore. This probably is a function of him being here a season too long, unfortunately he didn't seem to get the offer he was hoping for to move his own career on

5 Yes time will tell either current team get to raise there game again or others will come in, that's a given. A few need to take a look at Wes who took his chance in a position he would not normally play in...

RO

Of course I respect your thoughts as above, however I will try and respond point by point.

1. I think SC is best placed to assess how to motivate the current dressing room. It was his style last season to comment on areas of our play that were deficient as it was yesterday, also pointing out the new boys are still to learn what is expected and giving a nod to Wes for coming on and knowing what was required and at what tempo. For the record we played ok without looking threatening and not alleviating pressure when being pressed. Clearly we will need to learn quickly or employ some experience

2 I'm not at all sure, players or agents will be put off by a manager who is a bit peed off by a defeat and implies he needs competition in certain areas, in fact if I was looking for a club or a move for a player I would be on the phone representing players who could fill that void...Which they will be tomorrow!

3 Your comment about most people wanting winning managers is taken, however reading some of the garbage written on here since SC's appointment there seems to be a few that have some kind of issue with SC and will take any opportunity to point out perceived failings

4 GJ was not as openly aggressive with his team as SC is, however I am not privy to the dressing room so it is difficult to say who is more aggressive. However both of them were successful and a manager's employment is always finite. GJ ended up dealing with a team that was not motivated by him anymore. This probably is a function of him being here a season too long, unfortunately he didn't seem to get the offer he was hoping for to move his own career on

5 Yes time will tell either current team get to raise there game again or others will come in, that's a given. A few need to take a look at Wes who took his chance in a position he would not normally play in...

RO

A well reasoned alternative view to mine and agreed that we don't really know the various impacts

As for (1) I'm with you in a number of respects except I can't see how any part of his recent interviews can have a positive effect on the current players (Excepting we arnt privy to what he said to them behind closed doors)

On (3) I don't believe or haven't got the vibe that anyone on here has a agenda about SC - I think people call it as they see it and want the Club to succeed and ultimately speak up in their own way out of concern for their team - we might agree or disagree with their comments or views but I believe all want the best for the Club

(The comments that drive me nuts are ' Player x. Is dog***' Or 'Player X is a moron'

These type of comments speak for themselves and are always backed up with zero reason for their great proclamation

(5) I absolutely agree with - in adversity we might just find something we didn't know we had (Wes or any of the fringe players)

All in all a fair reply ;)

A well reasoned alternative view to mine and agreed that we don't really know the various impacts

As for (1) I'm with you in a number of respects except I can't see how any part of his recent interviews can have a positive effect on the current players (Excepting we arnt privy to what he said to them behind closed doors)

On (3) I don't believe or haven't got the vibe that anyone on here has a agenda about SC - I think people call it as they see it and want the Club to succeed and ultimately speak up in their own way out of concern for their team - we might agree or disagree with their comments or views but I believe all want the best for the Club

(The comments that drive me nuts are ' Player x. Is dog***' Or 'Player X is a moron'

These type of comments speak for themselves and are always backed up with zero reason for their great proclamation

(5) I absolutely agree with - in adversity we might just find something we didn't know we had (Wes or any of the fringe players)

All in all a fair reply ;)

Thanks BBS!,,Not sure about 3, unfortunately there were so many who spouted xxxx when SC was appointed that I cant help think one or two are waiting for the I told you scenario...And some rarely fail to disappoint me in that regard. One or two notable others rarely post anymore and at least I can respect that they no longer post out of complete embarrassment...Keep the faith! 

I find it very hard to see anything positive in the C5 interview.

At the moment I am still hoping that his anger is aimed at other clubs and agents for their demands, but I am beginning to sense an undercurrent of disharmony between our decision makers.

It is too early, after one game, but lasts years momentum is in danger of being lost.

On (3) I don't believe or haven't got the vibe that anyone on here has a agenda about SC - I think people call it as they see it and want the Club to succeed and ultimately speak up in their own way out of concern for their team - we might agree or disagree with their comments or views but I believe all want the best for the Club.quote

Are you for real? Is this your first time reading this forum?

There are many many posters on here with an agenda against SC with the biggest one being Kid In The Riot.

Unfortunately for some SC has not and will not ever be liked or accepted regardless.

All these people have done have waited for us to lose one game to get the knives out......

One thing is for sure is the comments on here from certain posters are 'embarrassing'.

Yes - read the forum regularly and yes, thankyou for your kind concerns but I am real

Sorry don't agree with you - seen no agendas - just people with opinions

Why would any City fan have an agenda against the manager and certainly why from the start

I don't have any preconceptions of any posters, I read the actual posts and consider them

For what it's worth my general impression is KITR makes valid points , but as I say I'm more interested in the posts than building up a pre conception of anyone

Archived