IGNORED

Sc Sulking Or Is It A Positive? (Merged)

Tomo

People are not making inferences from just one post match interview....this interview was one of many where SC has mentioned a problem with our recruitment.

People noticed this right back towards the end of last season....it's been an ongoing issue.

So it's not an over reaction.

Read my reply to Cowshed.

I haven't suggested that this summer was ideal - far from it, I've voiced concerns just like you and lots of others have.

The summer before WAS ideal - both in terms of sensible recruitment and pre-season team bonding.

So I don't think the problem is some inherent flaw in SC or KB, but the fact that they may have underestimated the difficulties in a different set of circumstances. As 29A has pointed out, the Championship is very different even to when we were last in it.

Knowing how he turned around 13/14 I have some faith that Steve will be able to make up for the slow start.

I am unhappy to read such negativity however on the forum (general point, mate, not aimed at you) based on losing away at a venue most of us expected a draw at best at.

Hi Phileas,

I have tried, but cannot find this one anywhere - I am probably not looking in the correct place, but a link would be appreciated if you know of one.

Thanks in advance.

Hello

Try this: http://www.channel5.com/shows/football-league-tonight/episodes/episode-1-796

Here's the BBC one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33839358 I was talking about

As Lansdown is not making the enquiries, or is in any way responsible for recruitment, it doesn't really matter how shocked or otherwise he is. Does it.

As I said SL seems not to understand the nuts and bolts of football. He should know the cost of materials if the business is to be a success, to say he was shocked then he is naive. What strategy was formulated for recruitment? ... Of course SC and his team put together a shopping list, and I imagine SL baulked at the cost and refused the deals.

You can bet your last penny this is the problem that Cotts has, and I fear he might walk.

As I said SL seems not to understand the nuts and bolts of football. He should know the cost of materials if the business is to be a success, to say he was shocked then he is naive. What strategy was formulated for recruitment? ... Of course SC and his team put together a shopping list, and I imagine SL baulked at the cost and refused the deals.

You can bet your last penny this is the problem that Cotts has, and I fear he might walk.

You imagine but you don't actually have anything to base that on other than how SC comes over in some post-match comments.

Lansdown has more than enough money and will know that if we are to establish ourselves in this division you have to spend cash.

Unfortunately the amount we can spend is moderated by the size of our gate receipts, which for the last few seasons haven't been great.

We can be outbid by most Championship clubs. That's the frustration.

Read my reply to Cowshed.

I haven't suggested that this summer was ideal - far from it, I've voiced concerns just like you and lots of others have.

The summer before WAS ideal - both in terms of sensible recruitment and pre-season team bonding.

So I don't think the problem is some inherent flaw in SC or KB, but the fact that they may have underestimated the difficulties in a different set of circumstances. As 29A has pointed out, the Championship is very different even to when we were last in it.

Knowing how he turned around 13/14 I have some faith that Steve will be able to make up for the slow start.

I am unhappy to read such negativity however on the forum (general point, mate, not aimed at you) based on losing away at a venue most of us expected a draw at best at.

No problem fella....Can I point out though, that a lot of 'Constructive Criticism/concern ' hasn't come about because of the result at Wednesday.

It has come about because of the comments made by SC and SL about recruitment.

And as a few others have observed and heard....this isn't something new to this summer....it goes right back to when SC wanted to recruit players last season.

I'll say it again....I personally believe that Burt and SC are not singing from the same hymn sheet as the Board/SL.

It is my opinion, based purely on what I've heard, so nothing concrete as people would like to hear, but from people I respect in the game....that there is a butting of skulls regarding recruitment and budget at the Club. There is a certain harmony lost, and SC isn't particularly a happy bunny when it comes to our recruitment.

That is my opinion....most won't like it...but that's what I believe to be true.

Football transfers and worth is all completely subjective. There is no 'price list' and values and wages are about as transient as you could imagine.

I do not agree he should have known costings or even been able to predict them simply because this summer valuations have gone out the window for reasons already addressed.

No problem fella....Can I point out though, that a lot of 'Constructive Criticism/concern ' hasn't come about because of the result at Wednesday.

It has come about because of the comments made by SC and SL about recruitment.

And as a few others have observed and heard....this isn't something new to this summer....it goes right back to when SC wanted to recruit players last season.

I'll say it again....I personally believe that Burt and SC are not singing from the same hymn sheet as the Board/SL.

It is my opinion, based purely on what I've heard, so nothing concrete as people would like to hear, but from people I respect in the game....that there is a butting of skulls regarding recruitment and budget at the Club. There is a certain harmony lost, and SC isn't particularly a happy bunny when it comes to our recruitment.

That is my opinion....most won't like it...but that's what I believe to be true.

Fair enough, but I would add that you can express surprise at a cost without that meaning that you are unprepared to pay it.

I "sign off the purchases" on Mrs Robbo's dresses without having been involved in the shopping process myself. "How much?!!" is often heard I can tell you, but nonetheless papa bear here still pays off the credit card because she looks good in her clothes.

Just an observation, but it might be relevant.

And SL is spot on by saying that football is not a proper business. The way it operates in this country is a travesty.

Simple home economics spring to mind. If you can't afford to shop at Waitrose, try Lidl or Aldi. To have the latter end of last year and all the close season to do your shopping only to find you ain't got enough at the check out is not only embarrassing but boardering on incompetent.

Football transfers and worth is all completely subjective. There is no 'price list' and values and wages are about as transient as you could imagine.

I do not agree he should have known costings or even been able to predict them simply because this summer valuations have gone out the window for reasons already addressed.

There is enough information on this website...free to anyone....that gives an approx. history of spending, fees, agents fees etc, of all Prem and Championship teams since 1992 to present date. http://www.transferleague.co.uk/

Anyone can see from the season by season spending and transfer fees....as to which way they are going.

It should come as a surprise to no one in football fella...let alone football fans. ;)  :P  :thumbsup:

Just checked out his pre Luton video, blimey. Looks like he's been on the Mogadon.

And yes I like him and have no agenda but he looks seriously down. :(

If he is seriously down it's a problem. Football managers are no different than anyone else and they have a stressful job. Stress and depression will have a adverse affect on his decision making process. Of course, we're all looking in from the outside, and don't really know what's going on, and don't know what he's thinking. That said, it doesn't look good.

If he is seriously down it's a problem. Football managers are no different than anyone else and they have a stressful job. Stress and depression will have a adverse affect on his decision making process. Of course, we're all looking in from the outside, and don't really know what's going on, and don't know what he's thinking. That said, it doesn't look good.

Have you seen it? I'd like someone who has to back me up as I don't want to be seen as a boo boy. Just so different to interviews last year, I don't mind angry and shouting about pitches after a loss, and after being at the Colchester match I agreed with everything he said about head injuries etc. This was different

Have you seen it? I'd like someone who has to back me up as I don't want to be seen as a boo boy. Just so different to interviews last year, I don't mind angry and shouting about pitches after a loss, and after being at the Colchester match I agreed with everything he said about head injuries etc. This was different

I have seen it, but don't know what to make of it. Something is wrong, but nobody outside of those close to Cotts and Steve Lansdown knows the truth.

Careful careful posters you will be labelled as having an agenda, referred to as 'morons' and told to crawl back under your stones

Be very very careful about observing anything and certainly not having an opinion about it let alone post it on a Forum !!!!

Whatever next. Tut tut

:) No one that watches it can seriously defend another position to be fair. But I'm ready for the one game lost abuse. I have no interest in the result on Saturday, means nothing but the interviews I feel are worthy of comment. Much more important than a difficult game away from home first day of the season.

There is enough information on this website...free to anyone....that gives an approx. history of spending, fees, agents fees etc, of all Prem and Championship teams since 1992 to present date. http://www.transferleague.co.uk/

Anyone can see from the season by season spending and transfer fees....as to which way they are going.

It should come as a surprise to no one in football fella...let alone football fans. ;):P:thumbsup:

True enough Spud, but I still think your missing that it's the extent of the jump which I and Red Robbo are highlighting as not entirely predictable and almost illogical this year and for which we excuse the element of surprise.

It is a surprise to me that Maguire with less time on his contract, little relative game time and seemingly a back up would maintain his value, that Jordan Rhodes would be worth just shy of half of what Chelsea paid for Diego Costa, or that Lee Tomlin is worth the same as Chris Wood.

:) No one that watches it can seriously defend another position to be fair. But I'm ready for the one game lost abuse. I have no interest in the result on Saturday, means nothing but the interviews I feel are worthy of comment. Much more important than a difficult game away from home first day of the season.

Spot on

Agree that Saturdays loss likely to be insignificant in the long run - to a number of posters on here the interviews (Ch 5 Sat the worst for me) and more importantly the cause of them is the thing that's causing some concern

According to others this is because people have an agenda and they will start shouting about 'It's only one game FFS' missing the point completely and accusing posters of blowing things totally out of proportion which is somewhat ironic considering a consistent way over and at times abusive reaction to posts or posters regarding the interviews and what's going on to cause it

True enough Spud, but I still think your missing that it's the extent of the jump which I and Red Robbo are highlighting as not entirely predictable and almost illogical this year and for which we excuse the element of surprise.

It is a surprise to me that Maguire with less time on his contract, little relative game time and seemingly a back up would maintain his value, that Jordan Rhodes would be worth just shy of half of what Chelsea paid for Diego Costa, or that Lee Tomlin is worth the same as Chris Wood.

I understand you're way of thinking fella...but without wanting to sound contrite...when talking to my Agent connections at the end of last season, they all said to a man, that we would have difficulty recruiting from the Championship the type of players we wanted, as prices had inflated so much, beyond even their predictions.

Now if little ol' me can find that out, just in general conversation...how is it those who deal 24/7 in the recruitment market should find it such a problem?

It's not so much the fees asked tbh...but the wages....they are mental for this level of football.

Agree the writing was on the wall at least in part, but equally I can understand from agents for example taking a pinch of salt, their role (in part) after all in all of this is to drive the market upwards. Their hardly going to tell their punters (clubs) anything less grand are they?

Agree the writing was on the wall at least in part, but equally I can understand from agents for example taking a pinch of salt, their role (in part) after all in all of this is to drive the market upwards. Their hardly going to tell their punters (clubs) anything less grand are they?

The Championship is awash with money from parachute payments to Clubs. It's the sad fact....the Prem is having such a negative effect.

Archived