IGNORED

South Stand Event - Please Read

Dollymarie

Didn't attend last night but can anyone tell me if there is a seated area in the concourse.. Used to enjoy meeting friends in the Dolman bar and having a seat?

There were no seats in the concourse at all and nowhere to rest your pint either ,just a vast open space .Did ask David Lloyd about this ,he said there are no plans to put in seats but there will be places to put your pint down . Dont know how accurate he is with this he did seem to be a bit vague about it.

The whole concourse area and even the toilets did not seem finished to me so what we all saw last night and what the finished stands will be like is anyones guess .Well in saying that somebody must know what the finished look will be .

Didn't attend last night but can anyone tell me if there is a seated area in the concourse.. Used to enjoy meeting friends in the Dolman bar and having a seat?

There wasn't last night, although given the vast space it may be possible to put temporary tables and chairs in place, and remove them at kick off?

It's a different feel than before as it is open to the elements so to speak with the entrance turnstiles and the entrances to the seats themselves, not sure you would want to sit there in the depths of winter, could be a bit chilly.

Really liked what I saw last night inside and out.

Entry and exit is fab with easy to use roomy turnstiles and wide doors on the way out. Toilets and concessions look great (agree with previous point on queue rails).

View and comfort in south stand is fab, wish I was in there. New seats in lower dolman are the same but with less leg room and view is broken by vomitary hand rails if you are in the back rows. Dreading what impact late/early arrivals and departures will have to view during the game.

It's only the front row of the upper dolman that has new seats. One gripe is the dolman roof underside hasn't been touched and is filthy, while a chunk of fading red cladding has been left exposed on the south stand end.

Would also add the stewards placed on the vomitaries stand too far out during the game and block views. They need to move in. Plus they need to stop putting their sweaty hands and dirty feet on the side walls. Most of the white paint is covered in their hand and footprints already.

Overall great work in progress.

I've not read all the thread but here are some of my observations.

Met by a smiley ticket tout in the car park and a smiley steward at the turnstiles, which worked as soon as I put the ticket in the right way up.

Beer prices were pretty much Town pub prices, pre-poured pints may work we'll see.

Discount from season ticket has to be asked for, no big deal.

Spacious and light in the concourse, will get better as finishing touches are added.

Food seems good as do meal deals.

Staff in uniform, implies professionalism.

Flooring in Dolman area nice touch.

As for the important bit .......

Different leg room in different seats!

A mates view ( and his two boys) obstructed by the concrete barrier , lower Dolman.

There was also some wire sticking out of the wall which could be dodgy for his boys.

We are a few rows from the wall and seem to have more leg room.

We then went to the SS, great view from the back and plenty of leg room.

I'm looking forward to the bar opening, they could rake in a lot of money from people drinking in the ground before games.

Overall , very promising.

Would it be possible to put an arrow or sign above each till position at the food outlets, this might aid the forming of orderly line rather than a free for all, particularly at half time.

I didn't buy tea or coffee, but those products seemed to be at one end of the serving hatches only?

Would be interested to know exactly how many toilets there are, didn't seem to be too many considering the numbers of people going to be in those stands this season.

Surprised there was a change in floor level between the Dolman and SS, not that it's a problem, just surprised to see it.

Exiting from the SS may lead to congestion, the exits face directly at the bike racks (they really look like they were imposed by the council rather than a considered decision on where they should be sited), and a low wall with railings above, you have to go left or right to get away from the stand, I imagine more able people will be climbing over the wall/ rails to get away from the crowds.

Overall a positive first look at the stadium, I guess having to use a particular entrance at the moment will be a pain for some people, but hopefully that will change quickly. The new seats were comfortable and leg room luxurious compared to the Williams.

Given that the stadium is an ongoing building site it looks pretty impressive, and when finished, and filled with fans, will be a good place to be, hopefully watching Premership football!

In the South Stand your knees will rest at a height higher than the back of the seat in front (& for me about 15-20cm away from the seat). I slouched right forward with my ass right on the edge of the seat and just managed to touch my shins on the seat in front in a comfortable position, though I am a shortarse at 5'8". You'll be fine sitting normally.

Cheers, I remember how comfortable the seats were. at MK Dons a couple of years ago and was thinking, if only all seats could be like this.

Cheers, I remember how comfortable the seats were. at MK Dons a couple of years ago and was thinking, if only all seats could be like this.

Sadly not as good as MK.

Big improvement and the SS was very good but not quite as much room as MK and not padded.

Still comfy, and at my towering 5'8". , plenty of room.

Sadly not as good as MK.

Big improvement and the SS was very good but not quite as much room as MK and not padded.

Still comfy, and at my towering 5'8". , plenty of room.

It felt quite disorientating at first, cant quite believe the changes. Parts of the ground obviously still recognisable as Ashton Gate but because of the major changes it felt like being a visitor at someone else's ground for a while.

Yes plenty of legroom in the seats and nice and comfy to sit on, already making me regret staying in the upper Dolman.

You get a free floor wash with every time you wash your hands (basins are quite shallow and pressure set to high on taps) soon you were wading through water again so it was just like old times. There were loads of roomy ladies loos though, yes there are 2 doors so will be in/out I expect. They announced as we went in to only use the South Stand ones as no toilet paper in Dolman ones as they hadn't had time to do that.

All looked very unfinished, lots of exposed pipes and sockets (not dangerous) but not finished. Lovely to see the stadium but in one way lacking the wow of a completely finished product. I guess all of this will be hidden in time. I'm not complaining, but just an observation that you needed a bit of imagination to visualise it finished.

We sat in the back of the South Stand last night, right at the back in the middle. When playing music the PA sound system sounded pretty good, as soon as Dave L spoke it was over done and distorted, needed turning down quite a bit for clear announcements.

The concourse felt like somewhere to walk through, not somewhere to sit in like the DEH. Many people used to DEH for a sit down and a warm up on a cold winters day, i doubt if the concorse is there to deliver this. Not sure if sitting would be practical as people will be blocked from walking through. Needs some places for people to put down their food and drinks though as people have already commented.

I'm quite concerned for some of the views from the lower Dolman, many seats seem either to have concrete, steel bars or people in the way of them (if not all 3).

Also noticed that there were steel safely bars in the Lower Dolman, yet there is no handrail at all coming down the steps in the South Stand??? Yesterday the crowd was sparce and I am good on my feet but I was naturally looking for a handrail. It is deceptively steep and any one young or old with walking difficulties will struggle in a crowd. I am absolutely staggered it has been deemed unnecessary to install one????

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to be allowed to look at the ongoing work in the sports bar this evening (due to the Supporters Club and Trust having a small area in there on match days next season)

I can't post any pics, but have been allowed to say the following regarding where the redevelopment is at so far and will be by Saturday.

Is that can't as in not allowed?

Also noticed that there were steel safely bars in the Lower Dolman, yet there is no handrail at all coming down the steps in the South Stand??? Yesterday the crowd was sparce and I am good on my feet but I was naturally looking for a handrail. It is deceptively steep and any one young or old with walking difficulties will struggle in a crowd. I am absolutely staggered it has been deemed unnecessary to install one????

I agree with this....because of the double step, as well the stairs aren't particularly deep, so there is a tendency to naturally take it two steps at a time.  I think we may see one or two drunken stumbles throughout the coming months, followed by a move to install handrails.  The half-step at the end of the aisles may also present a tripping hazard too.

Regards food prices, for a stadium, and with a 10% discount for ST holders, I thought everything was reasonably priced.

I think that's the thing for me though....it may be reasonable for a stadium, but stadium prices are far too expensive to begin with.  Chop a quid off the food and non-alcolhoic drink prices (I think the pints etc are well priced) and you would see many more people buying and probably make up the profit margin with an increase in sales.

Yes. We weren't allowed to take any pics due to it being a work in progress

We've all seen it now (people who were there last night) so I guess it doesn't matter. I took some photos of the shop and bar etc which were very much work in progress, oops!

And the red hand rails on the Dolman upper stairs could do with replacing as they look quite tacky and don't match up with the railings around the rest of the ground.

Those with a disability who sit in the upper Dolman are lucky to have handrails at all. None will be fitted to the new stands. This seems to be standard practice at a lot of grounds, but is a bit crazy. The cost implications are negligible, but the benefits are high.

Thanks Guys, bit of an extra walk for me this season but at least I am not built like the Linesman on the Dolman side last night :laughcont: :laughcont: :laughcont: :laughcont:

Great foresight to book that lino for the test event. He was spotted testing the chod bins for weight bearing load and the food stalls for extreme orders.

I believe the food outlet passed but trap two was demolished.

I hope they dont ignore the slight negitivity as if they do we will be left with an unfinished stadium. I dont see this negitivity you mention. Most are hugely impressed by the basic shell of the stadium and have offered constructive feedback to improve it further.

Bristol Sport have asked for feedback and they are getting that. We as fans are best qualified to inform Bristol Sport what is good and what needs improvement.

Constructive feedback is surely welcomed. I was referring to general negativity about teething problems, which will no doubt be solved in time i.e. lack of decoration/plain brick walls, no tables, having to walk an extra 2 mins to get to an appropriate turnstile (only for one season I might add).

As for prices, fans can moan all they want, but those won't change.

Archived