IGNORED

South Stand Event - Please Read

Dollymarie

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to be allowed to look at the ongoing work in the sports bar this evening (due to the Supporters Club and Trust having a small area in there on match days next season)

I can't post any pics, but have been allowed to say the following regarding where the redevelopment is at so far and will be by Saturday.

The TV on the outside should be on by the end of the week, they are hoping in the next 24 hours.

The shop will be ready by Saturday (even if didn't look like it tonight, they are currently working 15 hour days and Integral who are doing the fit out have said it will be)

The coffee shop and the sports bar are still a few weeks away from being finished.

On Saturday, in the Dolman concourse there won't be any draught beers available just yet (there will be shortly) there will be bottled beers, and soft drinks, however you can of course wander round to the South Stand concourse, where draught beer will be available.

The club know there will be teething issues, whilst everything gets sorted out, the pricing has been set with the aim of keeping things low, the quality of the food has been vastly improved, and they would really appreciate feedback from fans, as things bed in.

They would welcome people's constructive comments about this evening, and as the season continues. Mark Kelly who is chief stadium operations officer can be contacted directly, but will also be looking at the forum when he can to see people's comments.

Feel free to post your experiences/comments about this evening, and if anyone does wish to contact him directly, then let me know and I can give you his contact details.

I think that's everything :)

• Admin

Mark Kelly who is chief stadium operations officer can be contacted directly, but will also be looking at the forum when he can to see people's comments.

Feel free to post your experiences/comments about this evening, and if anyone does wish to contact him directly, then let me know and I can give you his contact details.

Two points

Firstly, that reads as if he will read this forum but won't be responding on here?? That seems pointless

Secondly why not just post his contact details on here now?

so the small fit out of the east end is going to be finished a few weeks late ( after chatting to other sparks in the trade, the electrical work is still a few weeks away, let alone the tarting up etc) which i think was expected.  but not to have any draught beer?  disgusting.   

no gayle, no cider, no respect.  

• Admin

I also spoke with Mark Kelly at tonight's event and he struck me as someone who is genuinely very keen to make sure he gets the catering side of things right down at Ashton Gate, even down to paying extra at supply level to ensure we get pies & pasties that we as supporters can finally be proud of & recommend to others. He made me want to buy one on Saturday!

Massively impressed by what i saw tonight. Ok its a bit raw in places and will need a bit more work but anyone going down on Saturday cannot help but be impressed by it.

You are greeted by a set of half dozen ticket scanners, painless, speedy entry, wander round the concourse under the Dolman and you cannot help but think, wow this is a massive step up to what we have been used to.

Comfy new seats, it looks like all the seats have been replaced throughout the ground, the Dolman looks impressive and the Atyeo stand looks as though its had a facelift.

I just hope people have the common sense to realise there will be a few teething problems, this is all new for the people that work there as well as us fans.

cannot speak highly enough of it ! 

Massively impressed by what i saw tonight. Ok its a bit raw in places and will need a bit more work but anyone going down on Saturday cannot help but be impressed by it.

You are greeted by a set of half dozen ticket scanners, painless, speedy entry, wander round the concourse under the Dolman and you cannot help but think, wow this is a massive step up to what we have been used to.

Comfy new seats, it looks like all the seats have been replaced throughout the ground, the Dolman looks impressive and the Atyeo stand looks as though its had a facelift.

I just hope people have the common sense to realise there will be a few teething problems, this is all new for the people that work there as well as us fans.

cannot speak highly enough of it !

The essentials are there now, aren't they. It's a fully functioning stadium. However, it will continue to be tarted up and fine tuned over the coming weeks and months. Most people I hope will realise that.

Not surprised to hear the bar and coffee shop won't be finished and they will have to go great guns to get the shop ready on time. If people are expecting a polished new concourse that works without fault then best stay away for a month. It all looks great and as long as they don't scrimp on the finish it will be amazing but is in need of some finishing touches.

If Mark is reading this then a couple of things that spring to mind when ordering a drink. Firstly, i don't know if there are going to be queuing lanes but i think it may be nesscasery as people seemed a little unsure to queue or charge to the bar as in a traditional pub. Secondly (and this is a pet hate for me and my friends) can we get some better plastic pint glasses? These flimsy ones that they used in DEH and tonight are rubbish and result in lots of spillages. Not good for the customer or the flooring. 

so the small fit out of the east end is going to be finished a few weeks late ( after chatting to other sparks in the trade, the electrical work is still a few weeks away, let alone the tarting up etc) which i think was expected.  but not to have any draught beer?  disgusting.   

Take a deep breath and calm down. Then read the first post again and realise just how wrong you are.

If I'm having a whoosh moment then please forgive me.

Few comments about tonight...

Maybe it would have been a good idea to tell all the security on the gates that there was a match on and that people would be attending.

I spoke to 7 of them on different entrances and non of them had a clue about to night.

A few said....'that's normal, we never get told anything'.

I'm certainly glad more people didn't turn up, as the organisation seemed very unprofessional.

On the plus side....ease of entrance through turnstiles. So much more space. Comfy chairs, plenty of leg room. Pints poured in advance....was shocked at some of the prices though, especially for a coke.

Great view of the pitch, although some in the lower Dolman were complaining.

I sat in the lower Dolman....when anything was announced you cannot decipher anything. Everything bounces around the Stadium with an echo...I couldn't understand one word. Perhaps, it was just where I sat.

Other than that...Great :-)

Oh....and we have some really talented U18's....especially whoever played No.2 Tonight.

The essentials are there now, aren't they. It's a fully functioning stadium. However, it will continue to be tarted up and fine tuned over the coming weeks and months. Most people I hope will realise that.

Exactly this, the place is incredible and can easily provide a great match day experience, fully functional.  The fine tuning will take a while longer but people will be impressed by what they see.

so the small fit out of the east end is going to be finished a few weeks late ( after chatting to other sparks in the trade, the electrical work is still a few weeks away, let alone the tarting up etc) which i think was expected. but not to have any draught beer? disgusting.

I expect draught beer will be available before the start of the rugby season.

Ok, here's my observations from tonight. I appreciate that a lot of what I state will be work in progress but just putting it out there.......

Drink and food was good, had a pasty and a pint which was reasonably priced. Lots of choice of drink and savourys although didn't notice chips on menus which are usually popular with the kids. There appeared to be thatchers pumps but not on the menu boards, hope it will be available.

There appears to be plenty of toilets although the ones I went into were still a little "industrial" and "unfinished". Some of the workmanship needs looking at and they need a good clean up with construction dust and dirt still around. The taps are probably a notch too high on pressure and end up splashing water around.

The whole concourse area needs a splash of paint and some football/rugby "interior design" in parts. At the moment it looks very much an old skool concourse with lots of steel, breeze blocks and exposed utilities. The dolman/south stand curved wall area would be an ideal place for some memorabilia, art work, etc especially as it's the spiritual home of the "eastenders"....it could really become a feature area.

The dolman concourse is a massive space and it will be interesting to see what comes of the "market street" outlets as at the moment it's a little bare and short of food outlets.

I'm sure it's on the agenda but more TVs are needed all around the concourse especially if the club want more pre and post match customers.

The south stand seating areas are superb. The seats are spacious and comfortable and the view, especially the higher you go, is fantastic. I'm a dolman season ticket holder and prefer the side view but will definitely try to get a ticket there for cup games.....oh wait...

I think all areas inside and out need a bit of a hose down, paint touch up here and there and general spring clean as there is a lot of construction dust and dirt almost everywhere

All in all, although still a long way to go to being the finished article, I was very impressed and look forward to how it pans out Saturday with a full house!

"Comfortable roomy seats" music to my ears......or certainly to my poor old knees which I think would have needed replacing if they had to endure another few seasons in the Williams..

Can't wait for Saturday and the following comfortable seasons watching City.

Ok, here's my observations from tonight. I appreciate that a lot of what I state will be work in progress but just putting it out there.......

Drink and food was good, had a pasty and a pint which was reasonably priced. Lots of choice of drink and savourys although didn't notice chips on menus which are usually popular with the kids. There appeared to be thatchers pumps but not on the menu boards, hope it will be available.

There appears to be plenty of toilets although the ones I went into were still a little "industrial" and "unfinished". Some of the workmanship needs looking at and they need a good clean up with construction dust and dirt still around. The taps are probably a notch too high on pressure and end up splashing water around.

The whole concourse area needs a splash of paint and some football/rugby "interior design" in parts. At the moment it looks very much an old skool concourse with lots of steel, breeze blocks and exposed utilities. The dolman/south stand curved wall area would be an ideal place for some memorabilia, art work, etc especially as it's the spiritual home of the "eastenders"....it could really become a feature area.

The dolman concourse is a massive space and it will be interesting to see what comes of the "market street" outlets as at the moment it's a little bare and short of food outlets.

I'm sure it's on the agenda but more TVs are needed all around the concourse especially if the club want more pre and post match customers.

The south stand seating areas are superb. The seats are spacious and comfortable and the view, especially the higher you go, is fantastic. I'm a dolman season ticket holder and prefer the side view but will definitely try to get a ticket there for cup games.....oh wait...

I think all areas inside and out need a bit of a hose down, paint touch up here and there and general spring clean as there is a lot of construction dust and dirt almost everywhere

All in all, although still a long way to go to being the finished article, I was very impressed and look forward to how it pans out Saturday with a full house!

My observations from both events are pretty much the same as yours. Really need some City signage in the concourses as right now it feels pretty bland and like a neatural stadium.

I agrew with your suggested improvements too.

if I was the project manager on the bits where there is poor workmanship I would ensure whoever did it corrected it. If I was the client I simply wouldn't accept it. I do look forward to seeing the stand come to life over the coming weeks. Its very clear to see its very much a work in progress.

Just hope Bristol Sport take on board these suggestions.

• Admin

"Comfortable roomy seats" music to my ears......or certainly to my poor old knees which I think would have needed replacing if they had to endure another few seasons in the Williams..

Can't wait for Saturday and the following comfortable seasons watching City.

In the South Stand your knees will rest at a height higher than the back of the seat in front (& for me about 15-20cm away from the seat). I slouched right forward with my ass right on the edge of the seat and just managed to touch my shins on the seat in front in a comfortable position, though I am a shortarse at 5'8". You'll be fine sitting normally.

Don't forget , after the Burnley game , there is the international break and we are away the following Saturday, so what isn't done now and all the comments from last night, they will try and put right for the next home game.

Archived