IGNORED

Views On The Dolman/south Stand Concourse

Robbored

The only thing I didnt like and i appreciate its a bit petty but when i booked my season ticket the way the plan looked for the south stand i thought i was buying three seats on the end of an isle, when we got there it was the middle but where two  seat rows joined to form the bit where two stands meet and swoops around, the joining seats at an angle means you have alot less leg room than you normally have at any other seat as the two seats are butted at an angle and the persons leg next to you goes into your space, i have a dodgy knee that i need to stretch every ten minutes or so and i cant do it without standing now, anyway petty i know, i do love the new stand.

Loved the South Stand experience. Slick turnstiles, good seats and rake providing great view even in the rows near the front, decent toilets, easy to exit. Thoroughly enjoyable. Agree with comments re some seats needing a clean, although suspect my rear end will have done the job by October (or quicker if a rugby fan's rear end shares the task)

Not read all tne thread ..... Soz

Liked it in general, one or two things..

Traffic flow out of the Dolman, Ayteo corner is not right, i would consider swapping things round whereby you enter through the two side entrances and exit via the larger end entrance, or find a way to utilise all three to exit.

Bins - might create other issues though!!

Obviously work in progress regards painting, cladding etc

Oh yeah another one, the large dolman queues for food effects traffic flow also, need solution to that.

We sit in the Dolman stand and entered through the south stand and used the kiosks where we received the 10% discount for season ticket holders. However , at half time when we used the kiosk just around the corner we were told the 10% discount didn't count in that kiosk despite selling exactly the same product , what's that all about??

I've got a feeling they might have been outside people brought in for that one... they weren't wearing uniforms like the others.

I would say No...whilst there is an ever increasing female fan base, the overwhelming majority of support is male, and the queues for the gents...almost all of them...against the complete lack of queues for the ladies suggests that the balance is completely wrong.

I agree with you about the balance of toilets, but I think they have taken into consideration the Rugby, where alot more females watch. Just a thought!!

Loved the whole south stand experience today. Good food, decent service, great view, comfy seats. Happy with that.

My only bit of feedback is there is a gate in the back left of the winterstoke road car park (as you come out of the stand) that was closed leaving only a smaller door sized gap for lots of people to get through that caused quite a bottleneck. Easily rectified!

Toilets good but queues too long for drinks so didn't bother. Hopefully this will improve when more outlets open which I think there will be if not then it's worse than before.

It's a difficult balance. If you alleviate queues it will encourage more to get a drink. A vicious circle. A bit like building more roads.

Great to hear the positives above. It sounds like there are some excellent improvements despite there still being work to complete - can't wait to see what it'll be like when finished.

Regards the constructive feedback above, I'm sure one of the videos the club posted included one of the developer reps saying that there will be a period where the club will be asking for fan feedback on the ground so that they can make further improvements at the end of the build?

All in all, the new Gate is going to look incredible as a football facility when fully up and running. Well done the club and all involved.

Very impressed with SS nice seat, good view and plenty of leg room, will be amazing when finished. Turned up early to have a look around and a pie and pint, but disappointed pies sold out 30 mins before fame, guess lots of people had same idea.

Not sure planning regarding away fans coaches has been considered, announcement at end of game for Brantford fans to walk around to Halfords, surely could have got coaches in behind Ayteo or somewhere nearer, as this looks like could end in lots of trouble on streets after games (starting next Wednesday?)

Very impressed with SS nice seat, good view and plenty of leg room, will be amazing when finished. Turned up early to have a look around and a pie and pint, but disappointed pies sold out 30 mins before fame, guess lots of people had same idea.

Not sure planning regarding away fans coaches has been considered, announcement at end of game for Brantford fans to walk around to Halfords, surely could have got coaches in behind Ayteo or somewhere nearer, as this looks like could end in lots of trouble on streets after games (starting next Wednesday?)

Yep, expecting a Leeds fan to walk more than 200yds without mouthing-off or getting into a fight is optimistic at best.

It's a difficult balance. If you alleviate queues it will encourage more to get a drink. A vicious circle. A bit like building more roads.

It's a bit like charging too much for beverages and food as Lindleys did. I refused to ever buy anything sold by Lindleys for those reasons. I'm sure there were others who took the same view. Better quality and more reasonable prices and they'd have made a bigger profit.

Like others I would have bought a pie and pint yesterday but was deterred by the queues.

Toilets good but queues too long for drinks so didn't bother. Hopefully this will improve when more outlets open which I think there will be if not then it's worse than before.

The que before the game was massive but surprise it only took 10 mins to get away with food and drink.

5 Minutes into the half time break and there was about 4 people in the bog I used (I think it was the one under S25 or close to it).

We had the pie and pint deal with the discount and it was fine (I normally never buy food at AG as its always been crap and unable to eat for about 40 minutes as it was always microwaved for far too long). Wanted a pasty but they had run out 20 minutes before kick off at the outlet we used and only had "sheep" pies (lamb and mint in normal English).

Exiting was a bit slower than anticipated - we were in the SS but used the Dolman exit. A bit of thought needs to be given to that, but it may well be that people may hang around a bit longer once all the bars and sports bar are fully operational with seating and TVs.

View was great from SS and noise was loud at times, seats a lot better than Dolman with decent leg room.

Dolman looked good from SS and Atyeo flags etc also looked good.

A bit surreal really - felt like I was in another clubs stadium for a while as I'm not used to the standard facilities that you get at most other clubs. It'll be fantastic when they iron out the teething problems and the new Williams is up and running.

Aside from the result, it was a great experience.

That's what I said. Seems like another team's ground. With a smaller pitch too (optical illusion, I know).

With exit from the Dolman made even worse than it was before, I'm thinking I might make the move across to the new stand when it's completed.

It'll be a wrench after 15 years, but I do sometimes want to exit sharpish.

I think the exit issue may be exacerbated by people from the SS using the Dolman exit as they don't want to walk all the way round Winterstoke road to get to the "right" side of the stadium - which is what we did.

Yes it's partly that, C. But the actual exit into the concourse from the seats is narrower and sharper now. You get a couple of old guys with sticks trying to get down there fast and you are stuck going nowhere for 5 minutes - as happened yesterday.

I think the exit issue may be exacerbated by people from the SS using the Dolman exit as they don't want to walk all the way round Winterstoke road to get to the "right" side of the stadium - which is what we did.

Previously you could exit in front of the pitch and also along the bottom of the upper tier but that has now been halved. Even though there are more exits they all lead to the exit point in the concourse therefore you have in effect lost 2 exit flows one at either end of the ground.

I think the changes in the ground are superb and really bring us bang up to date at long last.  There are a couple of potential improvement I can see though, with one easily fixable, but the other I'm afraid definitely wouldn't be.

I'd agree with many who have already mentioned the obstruction caused by people queuing for food and drinks.  This definitely needs controlling by barriers of some sort, as it made it really difficult getting round the concourse, with queues stretching right across at certain times.  I joined the queue myself and it moved quickly and efficiently and I reckon the takings must have been way up on the normal match day, but it really needs to be organised efficiently to improve the traffic flow around the concourse.  Zig Zag type barriers to organise the queues would definitely improve things there and would be a very easy fix.

The second problem I found was far more difficult to sort though.  it took quite a long time to get out from the back rows of the South Stand.  I've got a seat in the third row from the back, which is actually the same row as we had previously in the Atyeo.  Yesterday, it took far longer to get out than it would have in the Atyeo, which may have been partly caused by people getting used to a new stand.  My gut feeling though, is there is a more restricted flow in this stand and we were waiting for what seemed like an eternity at the back for anything to start moving in the gangways below us, with everyone filling the gangway from the lower level seats.  With the voms so low down in the stand, it really felt like there should have been exits installed at the back of the stand as well, and I do wonder how quickly this stand could be cleared in an emergency situation.

That aside, I love the view, look, comfort and facilities of the new developments and this is definitely going to be a stadium we can take a massive pride in when it's completed.

A huge well done to Bristol Sport and especially to Steve Lansdown.  The club has been talking for years about upgrading the facilities and precious little has actually happened and we've just slipped further behind other clubs.  

Steve Lansdown has now grasped the nettle and is propelling us into the 21st century and for that I will be forever grateful  :clap:

With exit from the Dolman made even worse than it was before, I'm thinking I might make the move across to the new stand when it's completed.

It'll be a wrench after 15 years, but I do sometimes want to exit sharpish.

I think a lot of us will, although I believe the club think not many will switch.

Hopefully there will be a period in the season ticket selling programme for us to switch before they go on general sale.

All looks great, but I was surprised that it now takes even longer to get out of the Dolman. Despite the new voms, getting down the steps from the back was no quicker and then exiting the concourse took a while as we all have to squeeze through a couple of small doors. First home game, so hopefully will improve as everyone gets used to it.

Just a quick thought that occurred to me, perhaps the club envisaged that because the Winterstoke road entrance is to be the new main entrance to Ashton Gate, they assumed the majority of fans would exit in that direction, negating the need for a wider exit way at the Dolman? If so then that is incredibly naive as people who park or approach the ground from ashton Rd and the surrounding park area aren't going to suddenly go out of their way to walk around their normal route or change their established parking location.

Archived