IGNORED

' Massive Financial Hole '

BRISTOL86

Personally I think he's just annoyed that we aren't giving him everything he wants in the transfer market and is trying to leak out this dissapointment he feels, in the hope that SL and/or KB see this constant moaning and suddenly decide to do a U-turn on their stances and decide to give him way more wages/freedom etc.

If that's true - there's only one winner there !

I've thought a couple of times recently - Would anyone be happy to lay a bet of , say the value of their car that SC will definitely be our manager come Christmas ?

Not suggesting he's facing the chop or is ready to walk right at this moment but there are some 'concerning' signs again (IF this is true)

None of this is news. We knew we'd have a bottom 6 budget and there are clubs with parachute payments who are desperate to get back to the Premier League and are pushing all the prices up.

As Exiled Robin explained well in his Post column, we can bid large amounts for players like Gayle and Gray because they will always have a resale value (so long as we're not daft enough to let their contract run right down) so even in the worst case of them scoring no goals and us being relegated we could still sell them next summer for a few million because of who they are, making only a small loss.

Wages, on the other hand, are just throwing money into a black hole. It's money we'll never get back, unless the player fires us into the Premier League, which is a huge gamble. We've got no parachute payments and a small stadium with, until the work is completed, limited corporate facilities. The club simply doesn't make that much money.

People say the club is being naive, and maybe Gray did ask for more than seems reasonable, but it was the club's choice not to pay it, and they're in no different position to the one they were in before. If less expensive signings wouldn't improve the squad sufficiently then why bother making them?

• Admin

None of this is news. We knew we'd have a bottom 6 budget and there are clubs with parachute payments who are desperate to get back to the Premier League and are pushing all the prices up.

Very true, so if we all knew this - why does it seem to be a surprise to Cotts?

Very true, so if we all knew this - why does it seem to be a surprise to Cotts?

Maybe it's worse than he'd hoped, or maybe he's just making a point.

Sean Dyche said that the Championship had changed massively while Burnley were out of it for a season, so maybe it's taken everybody by surprise a bit.

I'd be more worried if we were agreeing to pay these ridiculous and unsustainable wages.

Well, FFP and wages/income ratio aside, Cotts has a point. So, given he had the knowledge why did we end up chasing shadows all Summer? Did we have a signing on 'formula' with payments to players that did fall foul of FFP? If so, clearly flawed.

Maybe, we've played a game, and like Spurs, will leave all our dealings to the very end in the hope we get some better value deals. Cotts statement could be seen in that context as part of the spin coming out from the Club.

Can't believe we've just been naivie, so will go with the 'deadline day buster'!

From OS

Steve Cotterill met the local and national media ahead of Saturday's Sky Bet Championship clash with Burnley at Ashton Gate.

Here's a brief summary of what he had to say...

- Frank Fielding recovering well from shoulder injury and should be back in training in two weeks

- Mark Little's start at Middlesbrough has aided his recovery further

- Cotterill proud of his time at Burnley, adding: "We had little to spend and I like to think I spent (chairman) Barry Kilby's last penny wisely."

- He continued: "Nine of the eleven players that took up joined the club when I was there. I was delighted when they went up and always look for their results."

- Cotterill still keeps in touch with Burnley and wishes them well for the season - except on Saturday!

- City boss says his opposite number Sean Dyche has done a good job at the club

- Cotterill says: "They've lost (Danny) Ings and (Kieran) Trippier but they've still got the bulk of their Premier League squad and some decent replacements as well

- Manager wants to add to his squad and admits deals could happen "in and out" of Ashton Gate before the deadline

- Cotterill admits he'd rather not rely on the loan market but admits he's likely to utilise loans

- City boss says: "I don't want Bristol City always being one of those clubs that lanquishes around the bottom of table...we need to break that mould somehow."

- Cotterill says playing good football all season long will help attract players, but admits: "You can't always bridge the huge financial hole - it's impossible. If it's close (the difference between the wages offered and wanted) then we have a chance."

Read more at http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/managers-burnley-press-conference-2651048.aspx#rFzYtEW0AfgkO5KC.99

Puts the original twitter message into context as a total misrepresentation - the I/v summary makes total sense

Sounds like he is just restating and emphasising the fact that we and another half a dozen clubs do not have a share of the Prem Parachute Payments club which means we are on a very unlevel playing field.

Why are some on here getting uptight? He is simply repeating financial fact and if we do have a reasonable season, that will a job well done by the football management and staff.

A good season plus the completion of the stadium could and should present a very different scenario next season.

The way I read that is not a snide comment towards SL, far from it, but towards players targeted.

To me he seems to have explained players targetted have wanted 'compensation' - in excess of normal wages - to play for lowly Bristol City and they're not being reasonable. If it was a sly at SL I don't think he'd make the 'if it's close' comment because that alone suggests if they're being reasonable SL will sanction it.

The Post are reporting it differently as well with some choice quotes from SC...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-CITY/story-27689642-detail/story.html?

FWIW, my view is that he's brought this situation on himself - when you offer millions of pounds as a transfer fee, it would be reasonable to assume that an agent or player is entitled to think it comes with a commensurate salary which is different to other members of the squad who wouldn't command such a fee. That really shouldn't surprise a football manager.

If he's going after the likes of Gayle or Gray, he should know he isn't going to get them as he knows the salary situation. So why is he going after those players ?

As a statement to the club to say they have to match his ambition maybe ?

I think his quotes in the media are somewhat disrespectful to the current squad and his employers, he's put a toe over the line and he needs to be more circumspect in what he says or he could find himself arguing with SL - only one winner there. He should just shut the fk up, do his job, and get on with trying to get some realistic signings through the door and stop abdicating responsibility for the lack of signings.

To be honest it sounds pretty much the same as his interview on player

Archived