IGNORED

' Massive Financial Hole '

BRISTOL86

Wow..The knives appear to be out for Cotts . Sad. I thought we supported our club/manager.

No knives are out but people are understandably wondering what's going on.

Apparently his presser today was over 30 mins long - his longest since being at City - that in itself is quite telling.

Wonder what SL is thinking this evening reading all that from SC.

"I can't bridge the financial hole" says SC knowing full well there is one man who can and he's in Guernsey...

I find it quite amazing that this information is being presented to supporters by the newspaper rather than by the Clubs communication channels.

So far, this transfer window has been a disaster and today's headline is I don't think my squad is good enough but I am not sure I can do anything about it, despite having had four and a half months.

Momentum lost.

We only have our piss poor scouting to blame. People are not supposed to sit on their fat asses for a season and then ask SL for even more money

That scouting worked perfectly fine last summer. It's almost as if they sat round a table at the end of last season and said "Right, you know that transfer strategy that led to our best season in decades last summer? We're going to completely scrap it. And you know the already extremely thin squad we have? Let's allow important players to leave the club before having any planned back-ups for them."

"But you simply won't be able to bridge some of the gaps we have tried to bridge. I cannot bridge a huge financial hole. If it is close, I have a good chance. If it is not close, then I cannot possibly do it."

Reads very differently to how BCFC report it. If that quote is accurate I might take umbridge against 'I cannot...I have a good chance' as if the team are not all working together, but then without watching the interview it's hard to tell if that's simply semantics or if the BCFC spin team was deployed very quickly.

He needs to shut up about finances and concentrate on the team.

Our players are going to start getting a complex about playing for peanuts and start looking to play for clubs who pay higher wages.

He's giving them and himself a ready made excuse for failure.

If true, it's a dangerous game he's playing.

You took the words out of my mouth. Cant be doing any favours to our existing squads morale. Time to shut up and get on with what he has.

We only have our piss poor scouting to blame. People are not supposed to sit on their fat asses for a season and then ask SL for even more money

Scouts are only responsible for their remit. If they've been told to find the best domestic quality that's available and within our transfer price range I think they've done alright judging by who we were targeting.

If the targeting was wrong blame KB and SC for setting the attributes.

That scouting worked perfectly fine last summer. It's almost as if they sat round a table at the end of last season and said "Right, you know that transfer strategy that led to our best season in decades last summer? We're going to completely scrap it. And you know the already extremely thin squad we have? Let's allow important players to leave the club before having any planned back-ups for them."

We seems to a have no clue what so ever about the over all cost of players currently in England

Scouts are only responsible for their remit. If they've been told to find the best domestic quality that's available and within our transfer price range I think they've done alright judging by who we were targeting.

If the targeting was wrong blame KB and SC for setting the attributes.

Im talking about the people responsible for our scouting not the individual scout 

"But you simply won't be able to bridge some of the gaps we have tried to bridge. I cannot bridge a huge financial hole. If it is close, I have a good chance. If it is not close, then I cannot possibly do it."

Reads very differently to how BCFC report it. If that quote is accurate I might take umbridge against 'I cannot...I have a good chance' as if the team are not all working together, but then without watching the interview it's hard to tell if that's simply semantics or if the BCFC spin team was deployed very quickly.

on BCFC he is quoted "I can't always"

He needs to shut up about finances and concentrate on the team.

Our players are going to start getting a complex about playing for peanuts and start looking to play for clubs who pay higher wages.

He's giving them and himself a ready made excuse for failure.

If true, it's a dangerous game he's playing.

The core players in our team know they are good players, but they also know they need help at this level, so will hope as much as any fan that the club can bring in quality additions.

They also know they certainly are not 'playing for peanuts', they all got bonuses for promotion and hefty wage increases on the back of the manager forging them into a successful team.

That doesn't mean they'll be on as much as proven PL signings, something they will no doubt understand.

As for Cotterill 'shutting up about finances' and their affect on signings, it's what the fans are talking about and it's been a focus of the the media for weeks, so it would perhaps be strange if he didn't try to explain the situation from his point of view.

What I find most worrying about this, is that Cotts appears to be moaning about finances in the public domain. While I'm sure he and SL would have had lots of conversations about money and budgets, I fear this may be the first signs of disagreement between the 2. Obviously I hope this isn't the case.

Secondly, much as SC would like to spend big on wages as well as fees, we can only spend a certain amount. While Cotts has done a brilliant job up to now, I wouldn't want to see further debt piled on to the club to keep him happy. Yes, SL has got loads but the club has to come first doesn't it, not Cotts?

The Post are reporting it differently as well with some choice quotes from SC...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/BRISTOL-CITY/story-27689642-detail/story.html?

FWIW, my view is that he's brought this situation on himself - when you offer millions of pounds as a transfer fee, it would be reasonable to assume that an agent or player is entitled to think it comes with a commensurate salary which is different to other members of the squad who wouldn't command such a fee. That really shouldn't surprise a football manager.

If he's going after the likes of Gayle or Gray, he should know he isn't going to get them as he knows the salary situation. So why is he going after those players ?

As a statement to the club to say they have to match his ambition maybe ?

I think his quotes in the media are somewhat disrespectful to the current squad and his employers, he's put a toe over the line and he needs to be more circumspect in what he says or he could find himself arguing with SL - only one winner there. He should just shut the fk up, do his job, and get on with trying to get some realistic signings through the door and stop abdicating responsibility for the lack of signings.

Why has he brought it on himself? The transfer fee is nothing to do with him.

While I am concerned about the possibility of some friction between Cotts and SL, on the other hand we need to remember that Cotts is in a strong position here. He forged an incredibly successful team here last season and we've just come off the back of a fantastic result at Middlesbrough last weekend. We've been crying out for a manager with some balls for years. He is going to rattle a few cages but ultimately he is in a lot of credit here. He isn't resting on his laurels and BCFC is not a comfy place for players to come and put their feet up. This summer has clearly not gone to plan but he and SL both want this club to progress and build something here. I'm confident we will be fine this year, and as supporters we should have a bit of faith. I can't wait for this transfer window to be shut and we can go on proving to everyone that this is a club on the up and we will only get stronger with SC and SL in charge. It will take time to prove ourselves at this level but we will. It may take a good debut season in the Championship to convince a few others. We are little old Bristol City to the outside world and it will take some time for us to change that perception. The only way to do it is to trust in a great owner, a good manager, and the quality players we have here. There will be a few bumps along the way but keep the faith!

While I am concerned about the possibility of some friction between Cotts and SL, on the other hand we need to remember that Cotts is in a strong position here. He forged an incredibly successful team here last season and we've just come off the back of a fantastic result at Middlesbrough last weekend. We've been crying out for a manager with some balls for years. He is going to rattle a few cages but ultimately he is in a lot of credit here. He isn't resting on his laurels and BCFC is not a comfy place for players to come and put their feet up. This summer has clearly not gone to plan but he and SL both want this club to progress and build something here. I'm confident we will be fine this year, and as supporters we should have a bit of faith. I can't wait for this transfer window to be shut and we can go on proving to everyone that this is a club on the up and we will only get stronger with SC and SL in charge. It will take time to prove ourselves at this level but we will. It may take a good debut season in the Championship to convince a few others. We are little old Bristol City to the outside world and it will take some time for us to change that perception. The only way to do it is to trust in a great owner, a good manager, and the quality players we have here. There will be a few bumps along the way but keep the faith!

Good / interesting post and I agree with many of your points

Just not so sure SC is in a strong as a position as you suggest

Time will tell

Financial markets are inherently unstable and prone to boom and bust. Football markets are no different. The football market bubble is primed to burst, hence why FFP was introduced. Clubs that don't overspend will benefit massively when the inevitable crash happens.

Hargreaves Lansdown seem to be relatively well respected for their performance during the (on going) financial crash. Given a choice between Steve Lansdown and a typical spiv speculator owner, I know which I'd choose every time.

We need to keep the faith in our system of cultivating up and coming, promising young players and a good team spirit. It is much more enjoyable to watch young 'uns standing up to the plate than watching over paid, almost over the hill 30 somethings deteriorate. For example, Bobby Reid's performance against Leeds was exciting. I think the last time I saw him play in the Championship was away at Charlton when we got relegated. As you would expect, his attitude has radically changed. He seemed much more confident of making things happen. Whether he can sustain this progress remains to be seen, but Bobby stepping up to help us nick a point gives us hope for the future. Much more hope than a 30 + year old famous recruit going down hill and taking the morale of the dressing room with him.

The financial imbalance in the Championship is largely due to parachute payments and as I've said before, we must turn that to our advantage to wind up the opposition. We are missing a big motivator if we fail to do this. Bring on Andre Gray.

Financial markets are inherently unstable and prone to boom and bust. Football markets are no different. The football market bubble is primed to burst, hence why FFP was introduced. Clubs that don't overspend will benefit massively when the inevitable crash happens.

Where do you see this imaginary crash coming from?  Fans continue to pour money into the game directly and indirectly and that is not going to stop.  What will cause this crash?  It's been predicted for years...

Whilst I agree, many say Soton are the example to follow. Soton sacked Adkins very ruthlessly even when performing well as soon as they found someone who they believed would take them to the next level.

I'm not being disingenuous but Cotts is only as good as the best available alternative if we want to get where we seem to. I believe he is still the best man but some may say he's pointing both barrels at his feet.

My bigger fear in all cases is the board's competence in appointing the best available alternative. They got his appointment right but doubting their ability is not unreasonable.

Where do you see this imaginary crash coming from?  Fans continue to pour money into the game directly and indirectly and that is not going to stop.  What will cause this crash?  It's been predicted for years...

No doubt the bosses of Lehman brothers, Northern Rock, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae etc said exactly the same. Laissez faire market systems always exhibit boom and bust without fail. A certain ex prime minister said that there would be 'no return to boom and bust' - look what happened to him.

Whilst I agree, many say Soton are the example to follow. Soton sacked Adkins very ruthlessly even when performing well as soon as they found someone who they believed would take them to the next level.

I'm not being disingenuous but Cotts is only as good as the best available alternative if we want to get where we seem to. I believe he is still the best man but some may say he's pointing both barrels at his feet.

My bigger fear in all cases is the board's competence in appointing the best available alternative. They got his appointment right but doubting their ability is not unreasonable.

Interesting post 29a (and a good post)

Interesting and a tad spooky that you mention Soton & Adkins - was having a conversation about that very scenario with another Red of mature years about something he'd 'heard'.

No doubt the bosses of Lehman brothers, Northern Rock, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae etc said exactly the same. Laissez faire market systems always exhibit boom and bust without fail. A certain ex prime minister said that there would be 'no return to boom and bust' - look what happened to him.

Agree, and yet I think football has a long way to go yet. Despairingly I think the consumers - sky/BT, advertisers, attendees and narcissists - and foreseeable foreign growth means in my mind it can be propped up a hell of a lot further.

When the noose does tighten though I think it would extremely significant for global economies. I think that will keep it propped up for a while her too.

Archived