IGNORED

Fair Play To Him

AshtonGreat

If we could have matched Burnley's wages....he still would have joined Burnley. I think you have misunderstood my post.

My point being...it's not just about wages.

This Club has to be attractive to players, not just in how much they can pay, but as a well run football club that would enhance a player and develop him better.

Gray, wants to improve and better himself.

He was advised to move to Burnley to do that, as they are better set up than us. It wasn't just about money.

Where have I blamed SC? He's on a hiding to nothing here...I wouldn't blame the bloke if he walked tbh. Think people are missing my points. It's not SC's fault players don't want to come here.

Nope... I wouldn't want to work for BCFC as a manager.

You are scathingly critical of the club. Where does it all come from?

You are scathingly critical of the club. Where does it all come from?

Knowing about the problems down their...it's no coincidence SC is bleating and is another manager unhappy.

Spudders, me old mucker.. How's tricks as what you've written is well a bit maudlin. If I didnt know any better,  at this stage I'd say you were pining for Jumpers for Goalposts, sorry Forest Green. Your posts are some what crest fallen and brow beaten and somewhat, dejected. We are in the Champs, we get your concerns, but blimey, lighten up, once?

Anyhoo, on to your post

spudski, on 28 Aug 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

So what are the 'problems down there' that we get so much worse than any other club?

Like I said above fella.

We need... better scouting, coaching, better academy staff, better technology and analysts, a better team of football people behind the scenes making the right footballing decisions....not just buying players and building a stadium. That's how you attract players to your club.

Why do you think we have such a high turnover of manager, coaching staff and academy staff?

SL has not invested enough in the CLUB....apart from stadium and buying new players. Look at where other clubs have invested heavily in their infrastructure....we are miles behind many other clubs of our ilk.

Like I said above fella.

We need... better scouting, coaching, better academy staff, better technology and analysts, a better team of football people behind the scenes making the right footballing decisions....not just buying players and building a stadium. That's how you attract players to your club.

Why do you think we have such a high turnover of manager, coaching staff and academy staff?

SL has not invested enough in the CLUB....apart from stadium and buying new players. Look at where other clubs have invested heavily in their infrastructure....we are miles behind many other clubs of our ilk.

What's that based on, us being 'miles behind'?

So our competitors all have better scouting, coaching, 'football people' than us? How is this 'better' defined/measured? How are you concluding that (say) Blackburn's coaching is 'better' than ours?

I'd agree that it's disappointing seeing how few academy players have kicked on

If the behind the scenes setup is as toxic as you suggest why would Cotterill have taken the job, and how has he been so successful as everything you describe should be backed up by abject failure on the pitch.

If a club can't scout or coach and has all the wrong people behind it, it doesn't have a season like we just had.

Not saying there's not areas we can't improve as I'm sure there are but the way you describe it doesn't seem to me an environment that a good manager like SC would want to be around.

What's that based on, us being 'miles behind'?

So our competitors all have better scouting, coaching, 'football people' than us? How is this 'better' defined/measured? How are you concluding that (say) Blackburn's coaching is 'better' than ours?

I'd agree that it's disappointing seeing how few academy players have kicked on

Firstly I've come to these conclusions by speaking to people who work professionally in the game....other Scouts, Agents, Coaches, Managers and Players.

The majority have spoken about our lack of 'structure' within the club and how far we are behind many others.

Success is built on strong foundations.

From the Academy up, we have under achieved for many years....in pretty much all departments. The only thing I'd say we excelled at was our groundstaff.

Yes, it happens at other clubs. But we have been continual underachievers, especially considering how much money has been thrown at us. It's all been short term remedies. There is very little guidance at this club....they are all financial gurus...not football people.

Firstly I've come to these conclusions by speaking to people who work professionally in the game....other Scouts, Agents, Coaches, Managers and Players.

The majority have spoken about our lack of 'structure' within the club and how far we are behind many others.

From the Academy up, we have under achieved for many years....in pretty much all departments. The only thing I'd say we excelled at was our groundstaff.

Yes, it happens at other clubs. But we have been continual underachievers, especially considering how much money has been thrown at us. It's all been short term remedies. There is very little guidance at this club....they are all financial gurus...not football people.

Hang on, I thought you always used to say that SOD had improved all of that...

If all these football people that you know, Can see all of these problems why has it not been sorted? The club has had a massive reshuffle over the last few years, yet you still say it's not right. Why would the club bother changing anything if it still has the same problems? You say SOD sorted most of the problems, but now say they are still the same? We have drafted in Burt who came with a great rep to be a football person behind the scenes, so is he not up to it? Why has he not left if it is so bad?

You come across like you have an axe to grind with Lansdown and seem to see nothing but negatives in every little comment said by the club. 

Hang on, I thought you always used to say that SOD had improved all of that...

He started it....it's far from improved.

If all these football people that you know, Can see all of these problems why has it not been sorted? The club has had a massive reshuffle over the last few years, yet you still say it's not right. Why would the club bother changing anything if it still has the same problems? You say SOD sorted most of the problems, but now say they are still the same? We have drafted in Burt who came with a great rep to be a football person behind the scenes, so is he not up to it? Why has he not left if it is so bad?

You come across like you have an axe to grind with Lansdown and seem to see nothing but negatives in every little comment said by the club. 

I ask the same question....why has it not been sorted/put in place after many years.

SoD started to change things...but it is far from perfect. Way behind many other clubs.

I have no problem with SL or Burt... any manager would eventually struggle here.

The evil part of me wants him to miss a 95th minute open goal tomorrow when we're winning by one goal.

Actually it is rather evil for you to think it is evil; you are almost siding with with Burnley.

Remove the word evil and say words to the effect it would be utterly beautiful if that happens. :)

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't want to join this Club right now... I know I wouldn't if I were in his position.

As a fan....of course you are going to support them.

But you really have to ask yourself why players don't want to come here....it's not just finance.

A shiny new stadium and 'dreams' are not going to entice you.

He talked to 'football people' for advice. They told him to go to Burnley....not us.

SC talks of trying to make BCFC a 'fashionable place, players want to come too'. And that 'he doesn't know how to ...as he's sold it as much as he can'.

People in football know we can't splash the cash like we used to, because of FFP and all the restrictions that brings.

They see our previous turnover of managers...our recent spiralling out of the Championship....Our poor set up, our poor scouting, our Academy that leaks players and staff, our managers frustrations, hardly anyone else signing for us, Butting of heads between manager and Board, open talk of limited money....apart from 'Boro....a poor start to the season and pre season....apart from Last season....why would you want to come here?

We have a lot to prove and change still....and those in football know that.

As for Burnley....they are a fantastically run football club, with everything set up right to succeed....even though they are not a 'Big gun'. The 'Football side' of that Club is one admired by many...ask anyone in the game. As for our's....people snigger.

It's a good thing you aren't the person selling the club to potential signings spud

It's a good thing you aren't the person selling the club to potential signings spud

Trust me mate...I would love to praise us to the roof tops...just being realistic. Plus it's frustrating...if I had as much money as SL and really wanted my dream to come true, I'd be investing Millions into scouting, coaches, technology, analysts, local academies etc,etc,etc

You only have to look at what Swans and Saints and Stoke put in place, as they started moving up the leagues and before, to see that a new stadium and trying to buy championship players isn't enough. You have to have many other things in place to make it work.

Trust me mate...I would love to praise us to the roof tops...just being realistic. Plus it's frustrating...if I had as much money as SL and really wanted my dream to come true, I'd be investing Millions into scouting, coaches, technology, analysts, local academies etc,etc,etc

You only have to look at what Swans and Saints and Stoke put in place, as they started moving up the leagues and before, to see that a new stadium and trying to buy championship players isn't enough. You have to have many other things in place to make it work.

Blimey Spudski-

Having read your generally increasingly doom laden posts in this and many other threads - I now realise that last season was some sort of horrible accident designed to make the fans think we're doing ok and going in the right direction when all along we're a failing club about to implode.

Bloody typical.

Cotts out. Board out. Lansdown out. 

What have the Romans ever done for us?

Very sensible post. Like a lot of 'older' City supporters who once saw us in the top flight, it has changed over the years and not really for the better. There is, and not to be a pun,not a level playing field anymore. It is money,money ,money. I will support City till I take my last breath but I fear we will always be the victims of the Media and associated 'interests', just look at the Sunday and Monday Newspapers to try and find details of the matches played in the Championship, Lge 1 and 2. Premiership Rules OK. Not in my book.Sky and its associated interests have not as many think enhanced our National game when a player in the Prem earns in a week more than double what a Heart Surgeon earns in a year, sadly because they have a limited career span, my a*se :whistle: :whistle:

A slight correction for accuracy robin. :(

Blimey Spudski-

Having read your generally increasingly doom laden posts in this and many other threads - I now realise that last season was some sort of horrible accident designed to make the fans think we're doing ok and going in the right direction when all along we're a failing club about to implode.

Bloody typical.

Not doom laden at all bud...that's just how you and many others choose to read it.

But one has to be realistic.

SC has spent pretty much the past two months moaning publicly about how hard it is to attract players here. Players of the ilk needed to push on.

We can all sit here and think how great we are having just had our best season in decades.

However....as many have said last year.... the true test of our club starts now.

SC has openly said he is struggling to recruit and because of that we may struggle and be bottom 3.

Now if our manager who works 24/7 with the team is saying that...we should take notice....surely?

Personally I think there is a slight truth to it....but it is more a statement of frustration at not having the funds he wants for wages.

I'm positive we'll be fine....but there are still so many more things thing's this club needs to do to improve.

You've only got to see for example the influence of clubs like Saints, Cardiff and WBA around our area, who are pro active, and we are dragging our feet.

You don't build a club with a new stadium and buying players alone.

Blimey Spudski-

Bloody typical.

Despite somewhat lame denials and claims to the contrary, he really does seem to bear a grudge and/or have an agenda against the club.

3/12/13 Steve Cotterill became BCFC manager

5/12/13 "Spudski" became "Depths of Despair" 

Despite somewhat lame denials and claims to the contrary, he really does seem to bear a grudge and/or have an agenda against the club.

3/12/13 Steve Cotterill became BCFC manager

5/12/13 "Spudski" became "Depths of Despair" 

Quiet the opposite...I want what's best for this Club. Why can't you see that?

I don't just bury my head in the sand and ignore things that could and need to be improved at the Club.

Unfortunately there are many posters on here, that are just happy clappers...or when things go wrong...turn to complete doom merchants.

Don't know how long it took you to research all that...it may have been more productive to have a football debate instead, than try to paint a fellow City fan as someone with a grudge or agenda. If that was so... I wouldn't be spending my hard earned going down the Gate this afternoon to support the Club and SC. Unfortunately it seems more people are intent on picking on the poster than the post and discussing. It's like old washer woman gossiping over the fence....'he said this...he said that'....pretty sad really.

As for me changing to 'Depths of Despair'....it was an acknowledgement to my feeling that the Club had gone back on it's new philosophy....not SC coming in perse.

Am I actually reading this? Supporters are planning to abuse and boo a player who not once said he was joining? You can't be serious. It's just small club mentality, just accept he joined a better club who can offer more money and have a better chance of playing in the Premier League.

If QPR bid for Freeman and it was accepted but he went to say Derby are QPR fans going to abuse him because he went to a better club who can probably offer more money?

Am I actually reading this? Supporters are planning to abuse and boo a player who not once said he was joining? You can't be serious. It's just small club mentality, just accept he joined a better club who can offer more money and have a better chance of playing in the Premier League.

If QPR bid for Freeman and it was accepted but he went to say Derby are QPR fans going to abuse him because he went to a better club who can probably offer more money?

The hole you are digging yourself is becoming increasingly bigger.

The hole you are digging yourself is becoming increasingly bigger.

But why exactly are you planning to abuse him?

Because he joined a better team/business over a smaller one (everyone would do that)

Because he decided to join the club/business which offers him more money? (everyone would do that)

Because he wants to play at the highest level he can and get into the Premier League (everyone would do that)

From what I can tell hardly any players were genuinely attracted to coming to us last time we were in the championship as well. But back then we would just chuck wages at them to get them here. I'm glad the club are no longer taking this approach. If good players want to come on our terms then great, If they don't we shouldn't be bending over backwards for them.

We've aimed high and frustratingly come away empty handed but as we work down the list we will eventually get players that want to come. Is anyone really surprised that a highly rated premiership striker and top end championship striker weren't 100% keen to join a newly promoted club. I don't think that means our club is badly run it's just common sense.  

What do you care, being you clearly don't support Bristol City?

Archived