IGNORED

Cotterill says... Stay until the end

kmpowell

Steve Cotterill has asked City supporters not to leave games early.

City have scored three of their five Ashton Gate goals in the dying minutes of matches this season, all of which have been missed by a minority of fans who opted to avoid the rush.

One of the strongest qualities of last season’s double winners was their capacity to keep going to the end of games – a trait that has continued in the Sky Bet Championship.

But Cotterill expects the same of the supporters in the stands, insisting it does make a difference to his players on the pitch.

“We want everybody to stay until the final whistle,” the manager told City’s Official YouTube channel, speaking after last week’s game against Burnley.

“That’s three games now when the opposition fans are singing about fire drills.

“Just for us and for our club, please stay and support the lads until the end.

“I know you may get home half an hour later. I understand all the traffic because I’ve been there myself when I go to games, but please stay a little bit longer.

“We need you with us this season a lot more than last year.”

I will never understand why some sports supporters always leave before the end. Do they do the same if they go to the cinema and theatre? No.

Do they get home any earlier? Unlikely and certainly not more than a few minutes difference.

Bus and train times may play a part. If so, send your info/needs to David Lloyd as he is co-ordinating this sort of data in the Club's efforts to provide more public transport to and from Ashton Gate.

Come on City supporters, let's give the team our backing by staying to the end, even if some times it will be a bitter end.

Meh. While I personally never leave early, the fact is we've been 2 goals behind in all 3 home games going into the final few minutes this season. Fans leave grounds all over the world in situations like that.

Agree with what Cotterill is saying and it would be great if everyone stayed to support the team properly, but it ain't gonna happen.

I will never understand why some sports supporters always leave before the end. Do they do the same if they go to the cinema and theatre? No.

Do they get home any earlier? Unlikely and certainly not more than a few minutes difference.

Bus and train times may play a part. If so, send your info/needs to David Lloyd as he is co-ordinating this sort of data in the Club's efforts to provide more public transport to and from Ashton Gate.

Come on City supporters, let's give the team our backing by staying to the end, even if some times it will be a bitter end.

Whilst I agree it's galling to see so many leaving before the end this is never a comparable analogy as time and travel is almost always the reason for leaving early, and for the two events you've referred to, you won't get 16,000 people leaving those at the same time which means that the same sort of travel issues won't arise.

As said, travel can play a part, and I almost left early against Brentford as I had a longer walk to get to Temple Meads, or face getting home an hour and a half later if I missed the train (in the end I ran some of it and made it just in time). 

That of course doesn't explain the vast numbers that do go early.  Not everyone will have those reasons, but the reasons people do have are clearly valid to them, so it's a difficult one really.  They pay their money they make their choice I suppose.  Who are we to criticise perfect strangers on the life choices they make without knowing their reasons?

Whilst I agree it's galling to see so many leaving before the end this is never a comparable analogy as time and travel is almost always the reason for leaving early, and for the two events you've referred to, you won't get 16,000 people leaving those at the same time which means that the same sort of travel issues won't arise.

As said, travel can play a part, and I almost left early against Brentford as I had a longer walk to get to Temple Meads, or face getting home an hour and a half later if I missed the train (in the end I ran some of it and made it just in time). 

That of course doesn't explain the vast numbers that do go early.  Not everyone will have those reasons, but the reasons people do have are clearly valid to them, so it's a difficult one really.  They pay their money they make their choice I suppose.  Who are we to criticise perfect strangers on the life choices they make without knowing their reasons?

Shame there isn't a station at Ashton Gate :grr:

Maybe I am reading far too much into this but I don't really like it when managers (presumably a multi millionaire) make criticisms of fans (the paying customers).

Whilst I agree with his opinion that in an ideal world all fans would stay till the end, its not really his position to comment.  

He should focus of putting a winning side together that will keep the supporters bums on seats.  We undeniably have some of the best support outside the Premier League, so picking on that isn't really the best idea.  In any event, I imagine quite a few of the fans have genuine reasons to leave early.

Maybe I am reading far too much into this but I don't really like it when managers (presumably a multi millionaire) make criticisms of fans (the paying customers).

Whilst I agree with his opinion that in an ideal world all fans would stay till the end, its not really his position to comment.  

Support does play a part in performance, so yes it really is.

I almost spat my tea out at the 'some of the best support outside the Premier League' comment...

I almost spat my tea out at the 'some of the best support outside the Premier League' comment...

You and me both.  I really do wonder where this view comes from (perhaps all clubs' fans wear the same rose tinted specs).  We do not have some of the best support outside of the Premier League.  The atmosphere at the Gate sometimes is dreadful and is something we could all help to change (me included), but if the game is flat you can bet your arse the atmosphere will be. 

We seem to be a fan base that needs to be encouraged by a good performance rather than seeing a poor/average performance as something that supporters can affect by rousing the team.

We are certainly reactive supporters rather than proactive.

I stand by that comment - Bristol is a big City, when we are doing well the support will come. Even now our away followings are good compared to other clubs.

With your first sentence you have missed my point completely. As a paying customer of a football club I don't really appreciate being told what to do by a millionaire manager.  His job is to produce a decent footballing side, not worrying about what the supporters are doing.

I stand by that comment - Bristol is a big City, when we are doing well the support will come. Even now our away followings are good compared to other clubs.

With your first sentence you have missed my point completely. As a paying customer of a football club I don't really appreciate being told what to do by a millionaire manager.  His job is to produce a decent footballing side, not worrying about what the supporters are doing.

I don't see myself as a customer. I'm a supporter. That means I'm willing to dedicate my money and time to see the club do well. If I was a customer I would just demand a certain level of performance and if I didn't get it would eave and maybe not come back. Members of the labour party are not customers. They go out door to door and put on events or just make the tea for the rest. That's why I know my role includes singing loudly, never booing and clapping/cheering the lads back down the tunnel at full time. There are many who put in way more time, money and effort than me and follow the club up and down the country and fairplay to them. 

No I got what you said. But whether you appreciate it or not is totally irrelevant. It is his job to make the team as successful as possible, your support plays a part in that. If you want to get into the precision of how much it plays, have a look at Dave Brailsford's approach to improving British cycling.

On the other point, support which appears 'when we are doing well' is not good support. Leeds, for instance, have one of the best supporter bases outside (or inside) the Premier League, despite a frankly barren few years. We do not.

Agree as long as they don't obscure others view etc.

Should know after Mansfield/Leeds/Hartlepool to never leave a game early.

Very true but in all fairness some fans may have bus' or trains to catch, this is mean they should be informing the club explaining they can't stay till the end and they'll do everything they can to help.
The club have come out and said they want to improve transport, this could be the start.

A lot of fans won't remember Mansfield, or Hartlepool, or even Palace tbh (although it was in extra time).
But let them leave, I'm just glad I'm in the Atyeo where we're stood up anyway.

Archived