IGNORED

Bucks Red,,, who are we thread

BigTone

Julian - 46 year old single dad from the Valleys of South Wales.  Academic - I work at both Swansea and Cardiff universities, though based at Swansea.

Been supporting City since my early teens - Mainly because kids at school supported Cardiff City and I had no wish to be like everyone else. My youngest daughter and I have season tickets - I've had a season ticket on and off over the past 20 or so years.

Christian, I've voted Corbyn and I play in a DIY punk rock band.

My name is James Keetels I'm 27 from Sydney Australia. I fly into to Heathrow saterday for adventure and to see my hearatige on a 2year visa. My gransparants are from bristol but left for Sydney after the blitz of ww2. Watched a lot of skins and have Followed Bristol city since playing FIFA 09 on ps3 that year after my pop would tell me stories about the canaries from the mid 30s. I am a butcher by traid and I have struggled with alchole in the past, have got my ashton gate tickets for the season already and can't wait to call Bristol home.

My name is James Keetels I'm 27 from Sydney Australia. Always have been and will be a rugby legue fan. I fly into to Heathrow saterday for adventure and to see my hearatige on a 2year visa. My gransparants are from bristol but left for Sydney after the blitz of ww2. Watched a lot of skins and have Followed Bristol city since playing FIFA 09 on ps3 that year after my pop would tell me stories about the robins from the mid 30s. I am a butcher by traid and I have struggled with alchole in the past, have got my ashton gate tickets for the season already and can't wait to call Bristol home.

My name is Martin. I live now in a country pronounced Norn Iron and am a full-time carer to my wife. The locals here are proud to have Norn Iron written on their flags at Windsor Park! I used to be a radio presenter in the Midlands after moving there from Nailsea. 

My first game was in 1971(?). We lived in Luton at the time but my dad was from Burrristoll so we would pop down Pre M25/M4 on any A or B road available! Chris Garland was about to be transferred to Chelsea. It ended in a 0-0  and I watched it from the Main Stand as it was called in those days.

We moved to Nailsea in 1977. I started to go to the away games from the Carlisle away match in the 81/82 FA Cup third round (a supporters train was laid on).

I was regularly sitting on coach Two. There were always at least two coaches going in our Div 4 days. Arriving at Halifax on a cold windswept day and seeing the locals in utter amazement that an away team had turned up with two coaches at midday will always be remembered. As will the chap who's mission it was to find a decent pub and report back to the drinkers. Needless to say,  happy days! I moved to Stoke in the mid 90s but was able to get to many an away game due to my new location. Mansfield away being a stand out!

I think it's great that people are not only prepared to share their current situation, mental health wise on this thread, but for others to post encouragement and acknowledgement. What  I'm trying to say is that encouragement and a kind/humorous word or two goes a long way for both the carer (other posters have mentioned they are in this position) and the cared for. This thread is certainly doing it.

It's great that this thread was set up in memory of a City fan. His family will take comfort, I'm sure, in that he's not forgotten and that he's missed. I'm sure they will also take comfort that others have shared personal health issues on this thread that will bless others and encourage those going through tough, very dark times currently.

My Christmas present ten months ago was for a 48 hour pass to fly to The Midlands, stay with friends, drink real ale and then go on a round trip to S****horpe where we won! BCFC might do in our heads but watching them with your friends is a fantastic medicine. I am looking forward to seeing City in February..... Santa permitting!

Martin

My name is Mike, I'm 51 and I live just off North Street. I got in touch with BucksRed a couple of years ago as I'm originally from Bucks (even though my Dad was Welsh) and wondered what the story was behind his handle.

I moved here aged 19 to go to Bower Ashton and liked it so much I stayed, my wife was born in D*wnend and I've been told that I'm an 'honorary Bristolian' despite having  an Estuary accent. Used to watch bits of City games out of the back window in one of houses on Ashton Road (a cracking view of most of the East End half of the pitch but little else) and started going regularly in 89/90. Began in the East End and have just moved from the Atyeo 'back'  to the South Stand. Season ticket holder since the late 1990s.

Most memorable City moment was an away trip to Birmingham in November 1998 when St. Andrew's was being redeveloped and three of us sat in the Kop stand with our Blue Nose mate, who spent the entire afternoon pi55ing himself laughing at our attempts not to look conspicuous. Scott Murray was getting a load of stick for his Villa connections and when we scored (our second I think) he flicked the Vs at some of the Brummies who were giving him grief...right in front of where we were. We lost 4-2 and at the end TBBM said in a very loud voice 'it musst be a pine in the backsoid to come awl the way oop ear to see yao team lose...'

RIP BucksRed.

My name is Mike, I'm 51 and I live just off North Street. I got in touch with BucksRed a couple of years ago as I'm originally from Bucks (even though my Dad was Welsh) and wondered what the story was behind his handle.

I moved here aged 19 to go to Bower Ashton and liked it so much I stayed, my wife was born in D*wnend and I've been told that I'm an 'honorary Bristolian' despite having  an Estuary accent. Used to watch bits of City games out of the back window in one of houses on Ashton Road (a cracking view of most of the East End half of the pitch but little else) and started going regularly in 89/90. Began in the East End and have just moved from the Atyeo 'back'  to the South Stand. Season ticket holder since the late 1990s.

Most memorable City moment was an away trip to Birmingham in November 1998 when St. Andrew's was being redeveloped and three of us sat in the Kop stand with our Blue Nose mate, who spent the entire afternoon pi55ing himself laughing at our attempts not to look conspicuous. Scott Murray was getting a load of stick for his Villa connections and when we scored (our second I think) he flicked the Vs at some of the Brummies who were giving him grief...right in front of where we were. We lost 4-2 and at the end TBBM said in a very loud voice 'it musst be a pine in the backsoid to come awl the way oop ear to see yao team lose...'

RIP BucksRed.

Was at this game ,Soren Anderson put us 1 up inside 2 minutes i think .

Oh am the king of the swingers oh the jungle vip....

ok ok my name is shane 32' I live in staple hill and I'm not punching above my weight. Which is fine because I'm sure my mrs appreciates it and this makes me happy. I got two beautiful kids which sadly take up most weekends these days.

Mrs loves going to games but isn't really a fan of football she just gets really excited watching her macho man shout at the ref. she's tells me it makes her feel safe.

the plan is in a couple of years when the kids are of a decent age is to get a family season ticket and make a day of it.

first game not to sure but it was of the era with Shaun taylor. I managed to go 2 seasons not missing a game home or away. I remember one night game which finished late because of extra time and penalties at the gate. We won which was great but I missed the last bus and had to walk home. I was about 14 and it took about 3 hours but all was good in the end because as walking through the centre I got gripped by a rowdy group of drunk girls....all I can say is I couldn't wait till I was old enough venture there again and that I didn't wash my hand for a week.

I'm Sgt Pepper and it was twenty years ago today, I taught the band to play.

I work anywhere between Chesterfield and Cheddar, mainly using a dung fork. My claim to fame is that once, with a massive swipe of my fork, I hit a church tower from a considerable distance. This was observed by the vicar of said church, who exclaimed that he thought there had been a miracle and that judgement day had come. However, the verger reassured him that it was just a hundredweight of dung.

RIP Bucks Red.

Hi Wayne, 50 now in Bradley Stoke, but grew up and lived most of my life in Kingswood, and just fell into following City after most others at my Junior school seemed to follow the other lot.

Finally managed to get my dad to take me to Ashton Gate in 1979 for my first game v Coventry, 1-0 win, Tom Ritchie and was hooked even though we arrived late and my old man took us into the Coventry end!  Started going in earnest in 1982 Aston Villa FA Cup and then, Fulham or Portsmouth I think, when everything had just gone t1ts up and followed religiously home and away through 4th and 3rd Division days.

Best memory is difficult, between 2-1 v Rovers FA Cup at Eastville and Bradford away League Cup ¼ Final, what a night!! Worse memory, Brighton Play Off Final……not just the game and result, I was living in York and managed to get a speeding ticket on the way down and on the way back!

Can’t get there too often now, but my daughter(11) and wife, like me, are devout followers so hope to get a ST maybe next season.

Bristol City are my Religion.

RIP Bucks Red & COYR   

Better have my go then ! 

Im Matt from Stockwood, aged 46, married with 2 kids.

started going down the gate aged 3. I used to get the option, stay at home with your mum, 2 sisters and aunt and cousins (all girls) who visited on a Saturday or go with your dad and grandad. The choice wasn't hard.

i used to sit on my dads lap till I was 5 when I got my own season ticket.

best memories have to be Liverpool away FA cup, palace semi final - what scenes at the end, rovers victory at eastville in FA cup, and the whole of last season of course !

im gutted at the moment cause I can't get to games due to work commitments (on call every other week) but with more staff joining in the next few months I should be ok by time they're trained up for next season !

I also am definitely not an alcoholic but enjoy a good drink, gold or heritage ! 

I work anywhere between Chesterfield and Cheddar, mainly using a dung fork. My claim to fame is that once, with a massive swipe of my fork, I hit a church tower from a considerable distance. This was observed by the vicar of said church, who exclaimed that he thought there had been a miracle and that judgement day had come. However, the verger reassured him that it was just a hundredweight of dung.

RIP Bucks Red.

Charterhouse. 

RIP Bucks Red.

You're the reason they have a twisted spire .

Tony nearly 50 from Chepstow born in Newport Wales but the hospital is now the Celtic Manor so that makes me posh Welsh at least. 

Grandfather on my mothers side originally from Bristol so we was all told who to support from a young age.

First game was in 77/78 can't really remember who but a bus used to run through the forest down to Chepstow and took us to the game. 

Now on my second marriage, I quite like this one as she's a city season ticket holder as well, sit in the Dolman. She bought me a ticket to see a game, came with me and is hooked on the club now. 

Two boys and a step daughter, boys in their 20's and hate football but step daughter just turned 16 going on 30 is also a season ticket holder. 

Took my granddaughter to her first game last season against Oldham, she was 10 months old. 

I'm a concrete technologist, that reads through customers specifications and come up with the concrete to comply for that contract. I cover 50 ready mix plants in the south of the south of the UK. 

Hi my name is Mike 

season Ticket holder south stand 

originally from Weymouth but moved to Bristol at early age. I went to school at Bishop Road off Gloucester road. First started watching city in Mid 70s 1st home game Wolves under the new flood lights ,I moved to  longwell green at age 15 and formed a good relationship with the blue few. Joke!   And made friends with other like minded lads from over East Bristol who would go to home and away games in mini buses or  coaches from Hanham, Kingswood,New Cheltenham , Staple Hill , etc it was a time when you had to watch each other's backs going to games But we were City till the end. I have had some great times and made many friends and have lost a few on the way  but we still stay in touch although I now live in brentry North Bristol so it is with sadness to hear of another fallen solider .                 We are all part of the city family. RIP Bucks Red

ps I got some great Story's of 70s 80s following the Reds . Mike

RIP Bucks Red.

Charterhouse. 

Chesterfield. The hedgehog will like this 'un:

https://youtu.be/4SH281p2u18

Laurence. 30. 

Lived in BS3 for 7.5 years, moved in with the BCFC photographer when I first arrived. 4 different places I've lived now, all within half a mile. North Street, West Street & now South Street. (I'm drawing a line over East Street)

Grew up in Hampshire and former Portsmouth ST holder. My mrs, and lifelong city fan, took me to AG on our first proper date, FA cup third round v Cardiff, (1-1 snowed & I've never been so cold) we live together and watch city home and away. EE lot may recognise us from my avatar.

ST holder in my 5th season & been passionate EEder ever since. You'll find me and the Mrs in with the singers and general nut cases wherever the suits keep putting us.

I like to think that as im not city born and bred I look at things without rose tinted specs, however don't underestimate my support for this team I give it everything. 

ok steve er,

Born in Bristol formative years in hartcliff, went to Teyfant junior school, [lived in teyfant walk]

Family then moved to south devon

But my best memory is coming back home to my nans every other weekend [Kerry road K.W.] having a clarks pie and then down to the gate, first city game us 2/ 0 leyton orient 67/68?

anyway going on many years I must have brought 30,40 non believers to the gate over the years.

Now for my sins i'm stuck here in spain, and my son has a season ticket in the new EAST END.

My name is Alan Browne, 50 next week, now of Glastonbury and have been for nearly 20 years. Originally from the Chew Valley area, couldn't afford a house there so moved to the land of silk trousers, swords and budda figures.

Went to games with my dad when he could afford to go, sat on his shoulders in the open end (I was 4), he died when I was 15, my biggest regrets in life, not being able to have a pint with him or going to a game with him as an adult.

Originally in the eastend when I could drive to games, then the enclosure, moved to the atyeo when they made our seats sponsors only.

Divorced in July, I have custody of my son (8), I took him to Wembley, he absolutely loved it. He wasn't interested in football before that trip but is a City fan and always will be, i'm a very proud dad.

Not an alcoholic....yet....but who knows what the future brings! ;-)

CTID

I hear you Avalon Red, what I'd give for a pint and a chat with my old man who first took me to AG when, to be fair, it must've been a massive inconvenience! For anyone who's still got the opportunity to do so with their's, take it before it's too late. 

I went to school at Bishop Road off Gloucester road.

Snap!

Hi, I'm Joe, age 30. Born in BMH and grew up in Bishopston. Been exiled to various places for the past 20 years - Aylesbury (dull),Newcastle (amazing) and most recently Coventry (concrete). Folks have been back in Bristol (Merchant's Quay) for a couple of years though so get to AG more often than before.Lifelong city supporter thanks to my dad and my favourite player growing up was Junior Bent.

I live with my wife and my 7-month son and work for Jaguar Land Rover in Learning & Development. One advantage of Midlands is lots of away games and will be at Birmingham on Saturday.

Rob F, grew up in Portugal, mixed race. Came to Bristol at 10 and supported City as all my mates did and same colour as Benfica (Gas and FC Porto can go f--k themselves). First game home to Luton under Dennis Smith 93.

At uni set up the Bristol City Net Centre before official site existed, because studying was too boring. Did it for five years in the days before OTIB and Twitter when everyone ITK (and the EP journo) would just send me cryptic emails. 

Lived off St.Johns Lane then North St. Joined Internet startup, stopped Net Centre, worked arse off and 3yrs later sold startup to London firm. Commuted 5hrs a day to avoid missing a home game, gave up 2yrs ago and moved up, traded 5am starts for 2am returns from midweek games.

Hate London, started SouthBristol.com label as a distraction. Responsible for most of the City stickers in South and East London. Live in Millwall heartland. Have 9" inch tattoo of  City crest on my chest. Immigrant. Humbled by thread and most City fans history.

Rob F, grew up in Portugal, mixed race. Came to Bristol at 10 and supported City as all my mates did and same colour as Benfica (Gas and FC Porto can go f--k themselves). First game home to Luton under Dennis Smith 93.

At uni set up the Bristol City Net Centre before official site existed, because studying was too boring. Did it for five years in the days before OTIB and Twitter when everyone ITK (and the EP journo) would just send me cryptic emails. 

Lived off St.Johns Lane then North St. Joined Internet startup, stopped Net Centre, worked arse off and 3yrs later sold startup to London firm. Commuted 5hrs a day to avoid missing a home game, gave up 2yrs ago and moved up, traded 5am starts for 2am returns from midweek games.

Hate London, started SouthBristol.com label as a distraction. Responsible for most of the City stickers in South and East London. Live in Millwall heartland. Have 9" inch tattoo of  City crest on my chest. Immigrant. Humbled by thread and most City fans history.

Me too!   But no tattoos!

OK, Paul D here.  Born and bred Taunton, lived London and many places since.  Now live in Bideford,North Devon which makes it a 200 mile round trip to games.  First game was Arsenal home in 1976 as a 12 year old with my Dad in the East End...the rest is history now.

Many fantastic memories of games through all the leagues, thick and thin been to 100's. Can't remember my best game there have been so many,  Crystal Palace probably when we went through to the play-off final and there was one dark rainy night years before that when i think 4 players got sent at the end at the end v Millwall.

Avid listener to the BC Player, so i rarely miss a game in essence.  Once listened to a game in the middle of the night in a scout hut in the bush in Australia 

Sometimes sneak into away games keep myself to myself generally, there ya go 

Archived