IGNORED

Bucks Red,,, who are we thread

BigTone

My name is Tom Archer I came to Bristol as a student at the start of the 70s, came out of The Greyhound on a historic night in 1976 and heard a mighty roar roll up the hillside from Ashton Gate - promotion night! I wanted some of that and the hangover home end-of-season game was my first, behind the goal in the old Park End. More interesting perhaps was while I was a journalist (with Jonathan Pearce, Steve and Angus Scott all City boys) I not only worked with the bizarre Roger Malone (I remember being up in the tv gantry above the Williams with him refusing to climb down the ladder after a game because there were some naughty fans at the bottom singing his special song) but played a part in the ousting of the loathed chairman Les Kew. I think we all hated Kew and the dire period he was responsible for, and I remember him boasting to me about getting shot of Andy Cole as he was a no good, so it was amazing to be approached by a couple of blokes who reckoned they wanted to take over the Board and had the dirt that would finish Kew. To cut a long story short I was able to run a series of reports on HTV that led to the extraordinary general meeting at Whitchurch Sports Centre and Kew's removal. I wasn't alone in hoping that would lead to a new golden age, which of course it did not. 

Best memories - Terry Cooper (lovely man, told me his first job as manager was to tell the boys where to boot the ball out of defence), first Wembley, Chelsea thrashed in the rain and on TV, Andy Cole never failing, Jackie, Super Bob, Sean Taylor, the Goat...and now Flint and our Champions, who'd have thought it.

I don't live in Spike Island now, back in BS3.

I HOPE you mean Stephen Kew !

My name is Tom Archer I came to Bristol as a student at the start of the 70s, came out of The Greyhound on a historic night in 1976 and heard a mighty roar roll up the hillside from Ashton Gate - promotion night! I wanted some of that and the hangover home end-of-season game was my first, behind the goal in the old Park End. More interesting perhaps was while I was a journalist (with Jonathan Pearce, Steve and Angus Scott all City boys) I not only worked with the bizarre Roger Malone (I remember being up in the tv gantry above the Williams with him refusing to climb down the ladder after a game because there were some naughty fans at the bottom singing his special song) but played a part in the ousting of the loathed chairman Les Kew. I think we all hated Kew and the dire period he was responsible for, and I remember him boasting to me about getting shot of Andy Cole as he was a no good, so it was amazing to be approached by a couple of blokes who reckoned they wanted to take over the Board and had the dirt that would finish Kew. To cut a long story short I was able to run a series of reports on HTV that led to the extraordinary general meeting at Whitchurch Sports Centre and Kew's removal. I wasn't alone in hoping that would lead to a new golden age, which of course it did not. 

Best memories - Terry Cooper (lovely man, told me his first job as manager was to tell the boys where to boot the ball out of defence), first Wembley, Chelsea thrashed in the rain and on TV, Andy Cole never failing, Jackie, Super Bob, Sean Taylor, the Goat...and now Flint and our Champions, who'd have thought it.

Hello Tom,  I'm sitting here with my old man, Mike Pearce! He sends his regards 

Bet you don't remember passing the ***** around in the East End?

My name is Mark Horsman, I was born in Bristol, December 1966..

My folks moved to The Brighton Area around 1977 but the first games I watched was at Ashton gate and I have seen myself as a red since my early years. 

I work in management for a large dry-lining/plastering contractor in the south east of England, my step son went to UWE these past few years and passed with a First in 2015..

I go and watch City as much as I can but also attend Brighton games as work dictates that I can't always make City games..

Im a loyal red and still call Bristol as my home City.

My other sport is Speedway and I was lucky enough to be heavily involved in one of the sports top riders and worked closely with him for around 8 years, experiencing a lot of highs and a great deal of lows and nasty injuries for the rider concerned. A great life experience for me and I made a long term friend who I found through a passion I have in my life, I learnt an awful lot about life, sport mentality, winning and losing..

I can't complain about my life and Love my football club..

RIP Bucksred

Born in east Bristol to a Rovers supporting family. Consequently I “supported” them, without ever attending a match, until a chance encounter at primary school.  Then, for no logical reason, I switched to supporting City.  I can’t remember the date of the first match I saw, but I can remember that Atyeo scored an equaliser just before then end.

Of course, those of you who are familiar with quantum mechanics (aren’t we all?), will be aware of the possibility of an infinite number of parallel universes. In one of these universes, the chance encounter did not take place, and I’m now a sad, bitter and twisted gashead writing on their forum.  In another universe, Peter Hargreaves met me instead of Steve Lansdown, and we set up Hargreaves – Pongo.  As a result, I’m now a billionaire.

The highlight of my years of support was a long time ago watching Atyeo score 4 goals away to Shrewsbury, in a match that set up promotion to division 2. I can still remember the goals, which all came in the second half, with the score 1-1 at half time.

The first – Atyeo intercepted a throw in from a defender to the Shrewsbury goalkeeper and placed the ball into the far corner of the net.  The next two came from right wing crosses.  One a glancing header and one a first time shot.

The forth was the best.  A pass to Atyeo who was marked by the centre half. He flicked it over his head, ran around him, and volleyed it into the net as it dropped! Unfortunately this was before the days when matched were filmed for TV, as it must have been the goal of the season.

The lows have been to many to mention.

Mark Tovey, 47 years young, from Downend.

My first full season was the 1975-76 promotion campaign and nothing has ever topped that; although watching the 6-0 annihilation of Bradford in April came close.

I started watching City at age 7 because my next door neighbours in Little Stoke were season ticket holders and I was immediately hooked. It was shortly after that my father admitted to being a lapsed fan and told me that my Grandfather's cousin Bill was a former player (and the then kit manager). Most of Dad's family came from Bemmy and through this association his brother Bob became friends with Jantzen Derrick, who was later Best Man for my Uncle. So a few connections there.

For the last 16 seasons I've spoken with Radio Bristol's Geoff Twentyman on his Twentyman Talks Back programme or Post Match and contrary to popular belief I have to ring the station before they call back.

However, in the last decade or so my proudest memory is starting the conversation on this very forum in February 2004 that led to the launch of the Supporters Trust, now the Supporters Club and Trust in November 2005. It started with a bout of tonsillitis diagnosed 2 days after my 36th Birthday, the day of our 11th consecutive League win. I was signed off from work for 2 weeks and bored of watching daytime television. As this was in the days before I owned a PC, I phoned the Trust governing body, Supporters Direct after reading several newspaper articles about Supporter Ownership in the Football League and received a breeze block of brochures and documents a couple of days later.

After drip feeding content onto OTIB it was wonderful to get a great response from a number of posters and slowly, but surely we worked together over the next 21 months to form an organisation that has since helped to give fans a real voice at Bristol City Football Club.

Players and administrators may come and go, but fans are forever.

RIP Bucks Red

I am an ex footballer well known on the local scene.

Many people still recognise me, but I don't sign many autographs these days, although I did in the very early 90s.

I played in the same team as Ian Holloway and I currently reside right in the heart of Gas territory, but remain nameless as I really don't like the gas too much and have had to stomach far too much crap already from their jealous supporters throughout the years. To be honest I know that some of them troll this site and so I shall remain anonymous on here for the foreseeable.

All I will say is that many of you will have heard of me / been entertained by me (I hope!)

My first game for City was back in the early 1980s, although I started at Wolves in the late 1970s.

I certainly enjoy the debate on the forum.

Up the City!!!

Many people still recognise me, but I don't sign many autographs these days, although I did in the very early 90s.

I played in the same team as Ian Holloway and I currently reside right in the heart of Gas territory, but remain nameless as I really don't like the gas too much and have had to stomach far too much crap already from their jealous supporters throughout the years. To be honest I know that some of them troll this site and so I shall remain anonymous on here for the foreseeable.

All I will say is that many of you will have heard of me / been entertained by me (I hope!)

My first game for City was back in the early 1980s, although I started at Wolves in the late 1970s.

Up the City!!!

Intriguing....

Up the City!!!

Elementary my dear , Watson .

On 9/9/2015 at 10:51, Barrs Court Red said:

You'd be amazed at what you can do with that data.  

Once I have your name, age and general area I can get your address within minutes. From there I can start applying for loans or credit cards. Good bye credit rating.  If I was a cyber criminal I could cross reference with your interests, for example you've previously said what summer sport that you play, and that you like Bon Jovi.  Inconsequential information on its own, but it builds up a picture. 

Maybe the long game? Someone posts their details now, and then next summer announces that they're off on holiday.  I now know of a vacant house to burgle, or worse, use fraudulent documents to try and sell your property for cash - it has happened.

I would very much concur with this. Amazing what some people put online about themselves sometimes...especially on an open public forum. I would also add to that doxxing, cyber stalking and fake fb/twitter/LinkedIn.

Name, surname and workplace? Through that one could hoover up data of someone's fb, Twitter or LinkedIn. Could cause untold trouble with it.

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would very much concur with this. Amazing what some people put online about themselves sometimes...especially on an open public forum. I would also add to that doxxing, cyber stalking and fake fb/twitter/LinkedIn.

Name, surname and workplace? Through that one could hoover up data of someone's fb, Twitter or LinkedIn. Could cause untold trouble with it.

Especially a MOD..........

On 15/09/2015 at 13:50, Cheesleysmate said:

Up the City!!!

Think I may know who you might be...

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 13:50, Cheesleysmate said:

Up the City!!!

You are a question from the Henry Kelly fronted euro quiz 'Going For Gold'.

Dat was fur tree points, Gunter, you have control. Helga, you are frozen out.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You are a question from the Henry Kelly fronted euro quiz 'Going For Gold'.

Dat was fur tree points, Gunter, you have control. Helga, you are frozen out.

Sorry chap, I think that quote was taken from the sister euro quiz show of the same period, "Italian Stripping Housewives"

This is my first season as a ST holder, although I have always looked out for City's results due to a 20 year on-going bragging rights war with my Swindon Town supporting cousin. I have 3 memories of watching City when I was younger (90's).

The first was watching city at home to Wolves. If I remember correctly, City were 1-0 up at half time, then went on to lose 6-1!

The second was when I asked my dad "why are the mascots fighting?". He began to say don't be so silly when he looked over and saw the City mascot and I think it was the Swan from Swansea having a right good go at each other.

The third was watching them beat Walsall to secure promotion. However, my parents were divorced and we had to be dropped back to mum's and so had to leave dead on final whistle and miss the promotion party!

Fast-forward almost 20 years, I went to 3 or 4 games last season and fell in love with it! Bought a season ticket in the Atyeo the day they went on sale. Will definitely be buying one as soon as they go on sale for next year, regardless of what league we end up in, I am hooked now and there's no turning back!

COYR!!!

5 minutes ago, WsM-Red said:

This is my first season as a ST holder, although I have always looked out for City's results due to a 20 year on-going bragging rights war with my Swindon Town supporting cousin. I have 3 memories of watching City when I was younger (90's).

The first was watching city at home to Wolves. If I remember correctly, City were 1-0 up at half time, then went on to lose 6-1!

The second was when I asked my dad "why are the mascots fighting?". He began to say don't be so silly when he looked over and saw the City mascot and I think it was the Swan from Swansea having a right good go at each other.

The third was watching them beat Walsall to secure promotion. However, my parents were divorced and we had to be dropped back to mum's and so had to leave dead on final whistle and miss the promotion party!

Fast-forward almost 20 years, I went to 3 or 4 games last season and fell in love with it! Bought a season ticket in the Atyeo the day they went on sale. Will definitely be buying one as soon as they go on sale for next year, regardless of what league we end up in, I am hooked now and there's no turning back!

COYR!!!

These two are from the same match, it was a sponsors mascots dressed up as three little pigs and Wolves wolfie that were fighting.

The City Cat was trying to break them up

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

These two are from the same match, it was a sponsors mascots dressed up as three little pigs and Wolves wolfie that were fighting.

The City Cat was trying to break them up

Where is your condemnation of this latest example of the hooliganism that blights the game of football....?

22 minutes ago, redfred said:

Where is your condemnation of this latest example of the hooliganism that blights the game of football....?

I'm retiring from any comments on that aspect of football support from now on, this place is just a nest of thugs and hoolies and I'm fighting a losing battle :P

The pigs and wolf were funny mind.

Just now, richwwtk said:

I'm retiring from any comments on that aspect of football support from now on, this place is just a nest of thugs and hoolies and I'm fighting a losing battle :P

The pigs and wolf were funny mind.

So you admit to 'fighting' yourself eh, Rich. Tut tut.....

The wolf and pigs 'fight' I was convinced was stage-managed at the start of it, until the serious punches came raining down! Mind you, it was nothing compared to what it was like outside before and after that game :ph34r:

Archived