IGNORED

Bucks Red,,, who are we thread

BigTone

So I'm Vix Stewart. Born and bred in Bemmy but currently live in another part of Brizzle... 

Went to Uni in Exmouth (hence my affiliation with Exeter City) but currently a housewife...

First City game was Oct 26 1996 v Notts County. Paul Agostino scored and we won 4-0 I think. My old man who was city through and through, had been nagging me to watch City but had never showed any interest until I was given a free ticket courtesy of the school... hooked since then.

Fun fact: Hubby is Marcus Stewart's cousin. Sadly my hubby has no real footballing talent... ;) also my old man and my mother met when mother was pouring pints in the supporters Club so technically I owe City my existence...

My lad went to his 1st game v Barnsley last season and also his first 'proper' word as a baby was 'City'. Boy done good.

I dunno if it's just me, but I'm simmering here just waiting for Mad Cyril to reveal all about him / her self!

:whistle:

Absolutely.

I'd guess that in terms of posts-to-likes ratio, they are probably the best contributor here.

I was at school with him, and will alert the forum to any fabrications in his life story.

do you really want your mouth looking like a baboon's arse ?

There's a few peers of the realm, High Court Judges and MPs who would pay good money for a guy whose mouth was like a baboon's arse:shocking:

To be honest, some would probably pay good money for a baboons arse!

Forgot to add, was born in Southmead Hospital, lived originally in Fishponds ( went to Oldbury Court School) but moved to Downend in 1966 from where I traveled across enemy territory to watch the mighty reds with friends from Sodbury Grammar School.

Got a job as John Holmes's body double in the 70s, but it's hard to keep that up for very long, so had to look for something else and ended up working for a major building society and when made redundant at the end of the 90s became a mortgage adviser.

Moved away from Bristol in the late 70s since when I have seen City at away game more than at AG. Now live out in Fenland, near Spalding.

Likewise, I appeared first at Southmead Hospital. How many others?

For the sake of security, my name is "Irene", and I'm partial to blue and white quarters.

My first experience of watching live football was at Bath City with my Dad and Granddad - and I decided that I liked football. An Uncle took me to some games at Ashton Gate, and I still liked football. My Dad then took me to a game at Eastville, and suddenly I LOVED football + knew that I had found the perfect team for me. Since then it's been years of ups (a few), and downs (more than a few), but I wouldn't change it.

Originally Bath born and bred, after many years I decamped to deepest Wiltshire, where I currently live with my grown-up son - who was raised to support the right team from day one.  Four years ago I was very badly bullied in the workplace, which led to me seriously attempting to take my own life. Since then my life has changed dramatically, and I am still under the care of the mental health services. At this point, please feel free to make jokes about "that's what supporting The Gas does to you" - joking about it is better than totally ignoring mental health issues, which most people tend to do. I'm including my illness in this mini-bio because I decided a while back that if I'm not open about mental health myself, I can't complain when others sweep it under the carpet.

Quite a while after this happened, my son dragged me along to The Mem (several panic attacks along the way). Seeing a late winner fly into the net at the Blackthorn End was the first time I had been able to be "lost in the moment" with no negative thoughts in my head.  It was literally only a couple of minutes, but, afterwards it felt like a miracle had happened.  I couldn't wait to tell my Psychologist about it at the next session - wonder if that's a first - professional footballers credited with aiding recovery from depression!

I now get to as many matches as I can, and those "in the moment" experiences are getting longer. Onwards and upwards - hopefully.

The main reason I read this forum is the quality of the humour and banter - there are posters on here who literally do make me laugh out loud.  Maybe that's a first too - rival fans credited with aiding recovery from depression!  Thank you! :fear:

I'm not surprised that you found solace and comfort at a football match, even at the Gas.

My late first wife had terrible depressions throughout her life due to parental abuse as a child.

Her first match at AG was a friendly v Hereford a week or so after City had won promotion to the First Division in 1976.

She was really down at the time and I took her rather than leave her in the house on her own. Amazingly at the end of the game, she said that for the first time in many years, she had spent an hour and a half, without the dark thoughts that were usually with her. From that day on, she had a season ticket with me and her time watching City were some of her best times until the end came for her some twenty years later.

So never mock anyone who claims that watching football and the crowds that are there, cannot be therapeutic for those with troubles beyond our comprehension.

PS. While all us fans go bonkers when we give a dismal display and get stuffed 6-0. But for us it only lasts until the next 1-0 gained with a goal off someone's shin in the last minute.

Not sure why, but I've found this thread quite moving.

I'm Matt, aged 42. My first City game was in 1981, so I just missed the Div 1 days. Started off sitting in the back of the Dolman with my Dad before migrating to the East End (or the Covered End as many of us seemed to call it then), the Atyeo and now the South Stand. First away game apart from Wembley was at Cardiff in 1989 and since then I have travelled around the country watching City (probably about 50 grounds) but don't get to as many away games now. My kids are now following the family tradition of supporting City. 

There's a few peers of the realm, High Court Judges and MPs who would pay good money for a guy whose mouth was like a baboon's arse:shocking:

To be honest, some would probably pay good money for a baboons arse!

Names! We want names - or at least, titles...

Here goes - my first post on the forum. 

I 've been reading OTIB for years and but could never be arsed to post.

As others have stated this is a quite a moving thread (fair play to BIG TONE for starting this) hence my decision to post.

Here's my story - I am Paul, aged 38 and was born in Bath.  I lived in Calne Wilts, until my family moved to Yate in 1990.

As a youngster I was unfortunate enough to watch Swindon Town on a few occasions, but can honestly say that I never felt anything for that club or the place. 

I came to Yate knowing nothing about the Rovers, but knowing quite a bit about City as my cousin was a keen supporter and he watched them home and away from the mid 80s onwards.  Every Sunday he would tell me and my brother about the game and what happened on the terraces!  Needless to say there was usually more talk about the happenings on the terraces for this era!

So on my first day of school (Brimsham Green) I expected Rovers fans (because of Yate's geographical location) but was surprised to find mainly City - and from there on I never looked back - City for me.

As I grew older and hit the pub scene in Yate and Sodbury (for my age group) it was always City who dominated - although a lot of the older lot were Gas.

I have always had a fascination with the old stadium and always felt that I missed out on the "real" Ashton Gate ie the terraced eastend and enclosure. The stories from my Cousin and videos on You Tube indicate a very different atmosphere from what I experienced when these were changed to seating areas.

I work in Steel Stockholding so have followed the Stadium redevelopment with real interest.  Really impressed with the South Stand and what they have done with Dolman, now looking forward to seeing the steel go up for the new Williams (or whatever were calling it).

That's it from me - sorry for going on!

I am just about to crack open a Thatcher's . . . . . .   here's to Bucks Red and all other City fans that have sadly left us.

My name is Alan Browne, 50 next week, now of Glastonbury and have been for nearly 20 years. Originally from the Chew Valley area, couldn't afford a house there so moved to the land of silk trousers, swords and budda figures.

Went to games with my dad when he could afford to go, sat on his shoulders in the open end (I was 4), he died when I was 15, my biggest regrets in life, not being able to have a pint with him or going to a game with him as an adult.

Originally in the eastend when I could drive to games, then the enclosure, moved to the atyeo when they made our seats sponsors only.

Divorced in July, I have custody of my son (8), I took him to Wembley, he absolutely loved it. He wasn't interested in football before that trip but is a City fan and always will be, i'm a very proud dad.

Not an alcoholic....yet....but who knows what the future brings! ;-)

CTID

First game was in 1984 (I think) when city played Notts County (days of Tom Ritchie, Jon Shaw etc). Used to come down with my Dad (City Fan) and grandfather (rovers fan who just loved watching football... An oxymoron??).

That was my first game too. FA Cup 3rd Round, 1-1 if I remember correctly, must have been January 1984. County were in Division 1 (i.e. the top flight) then!

Next game was the infamous Div 4 game at Torquay when there was a riot afterwards.

I'm Mark Pearce, 32, I grew up in North Petherton and now live in Taunton. I have worked for Argos for nearly 12 years (how did that happen???). I watched my first City game in 2001, a 1-1 vs Stoke on the last game of the season. I have been a season ticket holder since 2010 and so far haven't missed a game in that time. 

Some random facts about me; I am a keen runner and I've just completed my first half marathon, I have 6 bearded dragons, I am a Zebra Finch breeder. 

Archived