IGNORED

The fiercest UK rivalry...

BS4 on Tour...

The latter parts rightly irritated Rangers fans but his life was most certainly not made to be like hell. Not sure where you've got that from.

I have a few mates who are rangers season ticket holders so speaking from pretty good knowledge. Also whilst away with England have met many rangers fans who talked about this signing as a stain on there club. I really didn't appreciate the whole religion think, apparently he is only the second catholic to play for rangers. But hey I'm not that bothered to get in a slagging match about it.

It all depends on your definition of fierce, is it about noise, passion etc or is it about violence?   If you are talking violence then Celtic v Rangers and Hearts v Hibs would be the big two in Scotland. In Wales, Cardiff v Swansea, in England/Wales (not in any order) Millwall v West Ham, Bristol City v Cardiff,  Arsenal v Spurs, Man Utd v Leeds, Man Utd v Liverpool, Man Utd v Man City, Chester v Wrexham, Chesterfield v Mansfield, Blackburn v Burnley etc all liable to violence.

as for the Bristol derby....we love one another really! 

Cardiff/Swansea when they were both crap and in the third division during the days when Thatcher had closed the mines in the mid 80s and through to the 90's was pretty horrendous. Remember several stabbings and all sorts of mischief. Likewise Millwall/West Ham usually goes right off doesn't it.

It's more a one way hatred, but Leeds / Man U is pretty ugly.

Cardiff/Swansea when they were both crap and in the third division during the days when Thatcher had closed the mines in the mid 80s and through to the 90's was pretty horrendous. Remember several stabbings and all sorts of mischief. Likewise Millwall/West Ham usually goes right off doesn't it.

It's more a one way hatred, but Leeds / Man U is pretty ugly.

the away end at the vetch field always felt pretty intimidating!!

I have a few mates who are rangers season ticket holders so speaking from pretty good knowledge. Also whilst away with England have met many rangers fans who talked about this signing as a stain on there club. I really didn't appreciate the whole religion think, apparently he is only the second catholic to play for rangers. But hey I'm not that bothered to get in a slagging match about it.

Rangers fans weren't bothered about Daly's religion: http://sportsnewsireland.com/soccer/soccer_irish/rangers-fans-dont-care-if-jon-daly-is-an-irish-catholic-2013-04-16/ and he certainly didn't get loads of abuse and his life wasn't 'made to be hell'

And Rangers have had far more than 2 Catholics play for them. I could reel off a list of around 17 but the most high profile are John Spencer, Mo Johnston and Lorenzo Amaruso who captained the club.

Not sure where you are getting all these Rangers 'facts' from?

seem to remember the full back we signed john bailey who had played in the mersy derby many times, and I think played in the Glasgow version for rangers. said our games against the gas was as hostile as he ever played in!!!

I remember JB saying that too mate, but he didn't play for Rangers, his career took him to Blackburn, Everton, Newcastle and the mighty BCFC...great character!

Guys guys, no plastic Rangers vs Celtic arguments on the city forum! :D

The most intense rivalries are the ones that have more than geography behind it... For example Southampton vs Portsmouth and Newcastle vs Sunderland both who were rival ports.... and Mansfield vs Chesterfield and Forest v Derby which have been fueled by the miners strike.

Rangers fans weren't bothered about Daly's religion: http://sportsnewsireland.com/soccer/soccer_irish/rangers-fans-dont-care-if-jon-daly-is-an-irish-catholic-2013-04-16/ and he certainly didn't get loads of abuse and his life wasn't 'made to be hell'

And Rangers have had far more than 2 Catholics play for them. I could reel off a list of around 17 but the most high profile are John Spencer, Mo Johnston and Lorenzo Amaruso who captained the club.

Not sure where you are getting all these Rangers 'facts' from?

go up to Glasgow and ask real fans if they cared about it and believe me you are naive if you think though didn't care. Personally I don't get religion in football. You can pull quotes from articles or forums all you want but untill you spoke to real fans you will never get a true representation. Personally been to 3 games at ibrox( never a old firm derby) and all they did was sing religious / political songs all game about Celtic. So to be honest I think I in a good position to talk about it.

go up to Glasgow and ask real fans if they cared about it and believe me you are naive if you think though didn't care. Personally I don't get religion in football. You can pull quotes from articles or forums all you want but untill you spoke to real fans you will never get a true representation. Personally been to 3 games at ibrox( never a old firm derby) and all they did was sing religious / political songs all game about Celtic. So to be honest I think I in a good position to talk about it.

I spend loads of time in Glasgow and have mates up there from both sides. I have been to loads of Rangers and Old Firm games, I'm not relying on articles for my views....

I spend loads of time in Glasgow and have mates up there from both sides. I have been to loads of Rangers and Old Firm games, I'm not relying on articles for my views...

Souness' decision to sign the high profile Roman Catholic Mo Johnston in the 1980s was incredibly controversial and many Rangers fans burnt season tickets etc. However, since that time a number of Catholics like Amoruso have played for the Gers. Prior to Johnston there was a tiny number of Catholics who ever played for Rangers but there have been more since. Daly is a Southern Irish Catholic which made the move a tad controversial, however if he'd scored goals I'm sure he wouldn't have got much stick. What came his way was probably more to do with his poor performances than his nationality and religion.

Souness' decision to sign the high profile Roman Catholic Mo Johnston in the 1980s was incredibly controversial and many Rangers fans burnt season tickets etc. However, since that time a number of Catholics like Amoruso have played for the Gers. Prior to Johnston there was a tiny number of Catholics who ever played for Rangers but there have been more since. Daly is a Southern Irish Catholic which made the move a tad controversial, however if he'd scored goals I'm sure he wouldn't have got much stick. What came his way was probably more to do with his poor performances than his nationality and religion.

Totally agree with everything you say mate - pretty much in line with my reply to Spoons...Amoruso captained the Gers so no probs there with his religion...

Chatting with my Ipswich based relatives today; there's no longer trouble home or away to Norwich. This is due to a mid day kick off and the away fans are only permitted to travel by train. You have to buy a train ticket with your match ticket. On arrival the fans are then marched through a cordon of Police to the ground.

For some reason though, there's always trouble off the field between Ipswich & QPR, but no one seemingly knows why.

Chatting with my Ipswich based relatives today; there's no longer trouble home or away to Norwich. This is due to a mid day kick off and the away fans are only permitted to travel by train. You have to buy a train ticket with your match ticket. On arrival the fans are then marched through a cordon of Police to the ground.

For some reason though, there's always trouble off the field between Ipswich & QPR, but no one seemingly knows why.

think its Norwich who got beef with qpr not ipswich

I can only judge from the ones I've been to but:

1. Bristol derby

2. Plymouth V Exeter

3. Bristol City v cardiff

that said, Dortmund v schalke s**ts all over the above!

I've been to the BvB v sheisse04 derby at both the WFS and in Gelsen5hithole and it's incredible. It does help the police that each ground has its own PRISON on site. They really don't like each other, they really don't!

The worst I've seen (the least safe I've felt) was as an away fan at Ibrox for the Glasgow derby, that one is plain nuts.

Archived