IGNORED

Brendan Rodgers Gone from Liverpool

Nomad

I for one would like to see us approach Brendan Rodgers if we decided to get rid of SC, saved Watford from relegation and also turned Swansea from a Championship side to a Premier League side. We certainly wouldn't struggle to attract quality with him in charge and given he has left Liverpool on apparent good terms, could be an avenue to get some of their promising youngsters on loan as well in the future. A 45% win rate throughout his whole managerial career is not to be sniffed at either.

would he want to bring his assistant with him ?

:whistle:

Rodgers inevitable departure aside it's good to see Liverpool - and Chelsea -  floundering amongst the also rans.

Legions of Bristolians put their support behind clubs like these at the expense of supporting City, inexcusable unless there's family history in the areas concerned.

Most football fans will have little sympathy with the struggles of 2 clubs who've hopefully had their day in the sun and welcome a change in the natural order of things at the top.

Long may their decline continue.

Yes, why not. The club wants to stay up, he's achieved it at this level twice, and transformed a Championship side into a Premier League side, something our board want. If we were willing to shell out 9m in the summer for a striker, why would our wealthy owner not shell out big bucks for a manager who could do a proper job. We are the 3rd biggest city in England and we have no top flight team. We are owned by a wealthy man and about to have a brand new shiny big stadium. With ambition and money which we have why shouldn't we look to hire someone like Rodgers, it would certainly make teams sit up and take note of us more and help us sign the type of players we were after in the summer.

Brendan often goes to watch his son play at Swindon and is known to always chat to their fans, so he's clearly not an up his own arse type of manager and he doesn't strike me as someone who will do a bit of punditry either. Whenever he has left a post before he's normally gone within a few months into another role and I'm not sure a Premier League side will go for him and with him having a young son who plays football and another kid at school, I can't see him wanting to go abroad to manage. I don't think it would be as far fetched as some people would make out.

Sorry this is Bristol City, we are too nice to do something like this, leave that sort of thing to the likes of Southampton :whistle:

Rodgers inevitable departure aside it's good to see Liverpool - and Chelsea -  floundering amongst the also rans.

Legions of Bristolians put their support behind clubs like these at the expense of supporting City, inexcusable unless there's family history in the areas concerned.

Most football fans will have little sympathy with the struggles of 2 clubs who've hopefully had their day in the sun and welcome a change in the natural order of things at the top.

couldnt agree more, loved the bloke in our pub who is a local but supports Manky Utd curse and swear yesterday as Arsenal walloped em

would he want to bring his assistant with him ?

:whistle:

not saying there's anything at all in this and it's a complete coincidence I'm sure, but Colin Pascoe, Rodgers' old assistant who he was forced to get rid of was at the game on Saturday. Walked past us outside the sports bar before the game. Probably just keeping his eye in or scouting I guess .......

Yes, why not. The club wants to stay up, he's achieved it at this level twice, and transformed a Championship side into a Premier League side, something our board want. If we were willing to shell out 9m in the summer for a striker, why would our wealthy owner not shell out big bucks for a manager who could do a proper job. We are the 3rd biggest city in England and we have no top flight team. We are owned by a wealthy man and about to have a brand new shiny big stadium. With ambition and money which we have why shouldn't we look to hire someone like Rodgers, it would certainly make teams sit up and take note of us more and help us sign the type of players we were after in the summer.

Brendan often goes to watch his son play at Swindon and is known to always chat to their fans, so he's clearly not an up his own arse type of manager and he doesn't strike me as someone who will do a bit of punditry either. Whenever he has left a post before he's normally gone within a few months into another role and I'm not sure a Premier League side will go for him and with him having a young son who plays football and another kid at school, I can't see him wanting to go abroad to manage. I don't think it would be as far fetched as some people would make out.

I can see the appeal for us, just not for him.

I can see the appeal for us, just not for him.

Got divorced in 2014, his son plays for Swindon, his other son goes to Millfield.

Openly is a family man, also I actually reckon being the manager to finally get Bristol City into the Premier League would be huge on any young managers CV. He also used to work in Witney (near Oxford) and done a lot of his coaching courses in Berkshire and Wiltshire so knows the area very well.

He doesn't strike me as someone who will want to be out of work for long, and whilst he has seemed despondent at Liverpool of late, he strikes me as a committed , passionate and ambitious bloke. I think if Steve Lansdown rang him up for a chat and invited him down, I would be very surprised if he didn't have a listen to what was put to him. After all this is a manager who said he thought long and hard before leaving Swansea for Liverpool and nearly turned the Liverpool job down as he was proud of his achievements at Swansea and didn't want to let Swansea and their fans down.

His interview since being sacked yesterday, wishing Liverpool all the best and the good things he has said about the board, the players, the club and the fans strikes me that this is a non bitter manager who feels he still has plenty to offer. I personally think with his family so close by, we might be a bigger attraction to him, than many would anticipate.

I'd hazard a guess that London, Birmingham and Manchester might have something to say about that....

Got divorced in 2014, his son plays for Swindon, his other son goes to Millfield.

Openly is a family man, also I actually reckon being the manager to finally get Bristol City into the Premier League would be huge on any young managers CV. He also used to work in Witney (near Oxford) and done a lot of his coaching courses in Berkshire and Wiltshire so knows the area very well.

He doesn't strike me as someone who will want to be out of work for long, and whilst he has seemed despondent at Liverpool of late, he strikes me as a committed , passionate and ambitious bloke. I think if Steve Lansdown rang him up for a chat and invited him down, I would be very surprised if he didn't have a listen to what was put to him. After all this is a manager who said he thought long and hard before leaving Swansea for Liverpool and nearly turned the Liverpool job down as he was proud of his achievements at Swansea and didn't want to let Swansea and their fans down.

His interview since being sacked yesterday, wishing Liverpool all the best and the good things he has said about the board, the players, the club and the fans strikes me that this is a non bitter manager who feels he still has plenty to offer. I personally think with his family so close by, we might be a bigger attraction to him, than many would anticipate.

His stock hasn't fallen that much, that he needs to start again at a team bottom of the Championship.

So you're disregarding Liverpool's 'transfer committee' which involves several people who determine transfers? It's unfair to say Rodgers has 'squandered' a 'FORTUNE'...

Not at all, but there is a time in life to stand up and be a man and say just like Klopp undoubtedly will if approached "shove your transfer committee up yer arse" and he has take responsibility for that, can you imagine SAF, Wenger, Mourinho the prems most successful managers putting up with that crap? or LVG now.

Maybe he could bring Balotelli with him. I reckon he could do a job at this level. 

Not at all, but there is a time in life to stand up and be a man and say just like Klopp undoubtedly will if approached "shove your transfer committee up yer arse" and he has take responsibility for that, can you imagine SAF, Wenger, Mourinho the prems most successful managers putting up with that crap? or LVG now.

No I can't imagine the guys you named putting up with a transfer committee. I was just saying it's harsh to say that Rodgers squandered a fortune when he wasn't solely responsible and there was a whole committee of people involved.

So, are you a 'Pool fan then Dave?! After your passionate post about why you like supporting BCFC on the 'I like this club' thread I didn't expect this?!

A Liverpool fan too? Yes!

Im sure there are several people on here who feel you can't have allegiances to more than one team.  City are always number one.  Don't some of you support England....too?  I'm a football fan at heart!!!

Dont you have teams whose results you look out for other than City?

Are you telling me your favourite French League one side isn't SCO Angers????? ;-)

...and you don't look out for Hertha Berlin (or whoever) because you watched them on a stag weekend?

Doesnt make me any less passionate.....just watch the 45 year old bloke jumping up and down in the South Stand Disabled Section when Kodjia scores.  Don't worry, the scoring of the goal hasn't caused a miracle to happen...it's my son who's disabled not me. :-)

I can't imagine him ever coming here, after asking SoD for advise on this Club ;-)

Nor can I imagine many City fans warming to him... he doesn't speak with a west country accent or come across loudly and manically....all pre requisites to being fully excepted here ;-) plus fannying around with possession has no place at this club ;-)

All said with tongue firmly in cheek ;-)

Maybe he could bring Balotelli with him. I reckon he could do a job at this level. 

Mario is doing good at AC Milan, he was a quality player at Milan, and again quality at Man City when just a kid, whatever happened at Liverpool no one knows but the Mario of old is back looking the top dog at Milan. Balotelli is a very good player, he just didn't suit Liverpool.

Openly is a family man.

Seeing as he got divorced after running after a much younger woman and ditching his wife of longstanding years when he became "famous", plus his teeth whitening and obvious image styling, I doubt the former Mrs. Rodgers quite sees it that way.

He struck me as not very bright, incredibly vain but loved by huge sections of the media who treated his inane, media speak PR interviews as pearls of wisdom.

Listening to Talksport on my drive back from a meeting this morning they were talking as if it was someone of the standing of Ferguson, Paisley or Clough that had been sacked..

Mario is doing good at AC Milan, he was a quality player at Milan, and again quality at Man City when just a kid, whatever happened at Liverpool no one knows but the Mario of old is back looking the top dog at Milan. Balotelli is a very good player, he just didn't suit Liverpool.

Whilst Balotelli is a wonderfully gifted player- He wastes it.  

Quality at Manchester City? I guess you could argue he won the best young player in Europe award but... it was more Occasionally quality- Mostly a waste of space.

Also he has only played 4 games since returning to Milan and a couple of those were sub appearances. So whilst yes he has scored already, jury will still be out as to if he can maintain it. During his first spell there he arrived all guns blazing only for the goals to dry up and form to desert him. Even when he first arrived at Liverpool wasn't playing badly, he even closed players down for at least two games before he decided he couldn't be bothered.

I'll give you his spell at Inter though- Even if he was petulant and generally not liked by their fans. 

I think the "left wife of many years for a younger blonde" contradicts your "openly a family man" assertion. 

Also wasn't he allegdly involved in some sort of property fiddle in Liverpool? 

I agree with a lot of your posts, but I have to pull you up on this. People have the right to make their own mind up on who they support, and if the local teams are consistently failing to inspire, it's understandable that young kids will look elsewhere to find their idols. Besides, the current City team only has two Bristolians in it anyway, so that kind of blurs the lines in terms of being loyal to your local club. I would love to see every club made up of players from that area, and for local people to support that club exclusively, but with the growth of Sky Sports, BT etc, consumer choice is greater than ever.

A Liverpool fan too? Yes!

Im sure there are several people on here who feel you can't have allegiances to more than one team.  City are always number one.  Don't some of you support England....too?  I'm a football fan at heart!!!

Dont you have teams whose results you look out for other than City?

Are you telling me your favourite French League one side isn't SCO Angers????? ;-)

...and you don't look out for Hertha Berlin (or whoever) because you watched them on a stag weekend?

Doesnt make me any less passionate.....just watch the 45 year old bloke jumping up and down in the South Stand Disabled Section when Kodjia scores.  Don't worry, the scoring of the goal hasn't caused a miracle to happen...it's my son who's disabled not me. :-)

Fair play mate! I'm also a pretty nutty Partick Thistle fan, but that goes way back for a variety of good reasons. Followed them all over Scotland in the '90s - what a brill set of fans they've got! Crazy, as passionate as any, very loud, very loyal, very proud! It got to the point not so long ago when the Thistle manager would pick me up from Glasgow Airport and drop me back there! 

Happy happy days! I'll never forget days out at Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Celtic, Rangers, Ayr Utd, Stirling etc etc!

Archived