IGNORED

Have you seen City in the top division?

Eddie Hitler

City in the top league / John Atyeo  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I did, once, with my Dad taking me to my first game in the last season we spent up there.  A 1-0 defeat to Arsenal on 27 October 1979 (yes, I had to look the date up but I remembered the score).

We played our last one that same season on 3 May 1980 away to Spurs so a bit over 35 years ago.  From there it was all downhill but not being very old and not living in Bristol I knew nothing about the events of 1982 until much later.

So realistically nobody under 40 has seen us play at the top level.

And as we do have some incredibly long-serving loyal fans did anybody see John Atyeo play, last game 10 May 1966 so nearly 50 years ago?

Hopefully I can redo this poll in 5 years and get 100% having seen City play in the top division  :cool:

Was priviliged to start going down to AG in 1957 with my dad and saw the great Big John on many occasions and was there in Crackers Corner (Old open end) to see Clive'y boy send us to the promised land. Players Managers, directors and Staff come and go but we DONT :chant6ez:

Yes watched City play in top flight ,home and away . Bit nerve racking going away in those days ,never know what was going to happen once you got off the coach . Still great fun although we didnt win very often . Arsenal away first game back still stands out ,waited all summer for it ,was a glorious hot day ,City everywhere in all the pubs etc and then of course we only went on to win .Gooners were well peed off after ,got out alive just . Proper away day 

I saw Big John's first and last games for City.

Home to Newport County in August 1951 and home to Ipswich in the last match of 1965-66 season.

In between countless home and away games. So many memories, there are too many to recall here.

I saw every home game in the four years of First Division in the 1970's. Plus a good number away but not as many as I wanted to because with a young family, cash was tight at times.

I saw Big John play. I even saw him play in a reserve match in the early 60s after he'd been dropped for one match due to lack of goals! I used to have the programme (1 sheet of A4) but it's disappeared. I should have kept it as it would have been a collectors item.  

Yes watched City play in top flight ,home and away . Bit nerve racking going away in those days ,never know what was going to happen once you got off the coach . Still great fun although we didnt win very often . Arsenal away first game back still stands out ,waited all summer for it ,was a glorious hot day ,City everywhere in all the pubs etc and then of course we only went on to win .Gooners were well peed off after ,got out alive just . Proper away day 

My old next door neighbour was an Arsenal season ticket holder and he told me Arsenal fans still talk about that game, the away support was something I've never seen before or since. All in all a perfect day and probably my favourite game ever.

My old next door neighbour was an Arsenal season ticket holder and he told me Arsenal fans still talk about that game, the away support was something I've never seen before or since. All in all a perfect day and probably my favourite game ever.

Did you not go to Coventry?

I did but Highbury was a bigger stadium, I think we had more fans there. Also not as stressful as the Coventry match, just enjoyable.

From memory weren't the crowds for those matches about 37k at Highfield Road and about 43k at Highbury? So not much in it, and I've always thought we took at least twice as many to Coventry.

Either way, you'd never know the massive City support if you look at the goals from those 2 games though, somehow the footage doesn't capture just how many were there.

From memory weren't the crowds for those matches about 37k at Highfield Road and about 43k at Highbury? So not much in it, and I've always thought we took at least twice as many to Coventry.

Either way, you'd never know the massive City support if you look at the goals from those 2 games though, somehow the footage doesn't capture just how many were there.

I've thought that before, I've seen estimates from 15-20k. I remember the M5 was a carpark on the way back and I'm sure on the way out one lane was blocked by 2 guys with a City flag.

42 years unbroken season ticket since the age of 5 in 1973 so yep saw City in Division 1. I had whooping cough so couldn't go to the Coventry match - my Dad arranged for my name to be read out on Radio Bristol!

My Dad (now 82) has had a season ticket for the last 69 years. He went to the Coventry match and got there at half time as the coaches were delayed due to sheer volumes!

My first game at AG was against Leeds in 1976, the one that was called off because of fog.

Got to feel sorry for anyone too young to have experienced those days. Being on the packed terraces of the East End, or the Park End, watching top flight football is something I'll never forget.

No nannying H&S nonsense is those days either. My old man never had a problem bringing three wooden stools through.  the turnstiles for me and my two brothers to stand on.

Terracing also allowed an atmosphere that will never be recreated in an all seater stadium. Sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it. The surges behind the East End goal when City scored could be a bit unnerving though.

42 years unbroken season ticket since the age of 5 in 1973 so yep saw City in Division 1. I had whooping cough so couldn't go to the Coventry match - my Dad arranged for my name to be read out on Radio Bristol!

My Dad (now 82) has had a season ticket for the last 69 years. He went to the Coventry match and got there at half time as the coaches were delayed due to sheer volumes!

Respect to you & your Dad , that's an amazing show of support:city:

Born in the 90s so didn't see either, but I was fortunate to see Styvar, Bas Savage and Nicky Hunt! 

In in all seriousness, I wouldn't change my early days of watching City! Some bad times but still some great times! The 11 wins in a row was exciting to watch as a youngster and has stuck with me. 

Born in the 90s so didn't see either, but I was fortunate to see Styvar, Bas Savage and Nicky Hunt! 

In in all seriousness, I wouldn't change my early days of watching City! Some bad times but still some great times! The 11 wins in a row was exciting to watch as a youngster and has stuck with me. 

Legends all.

You have all the good times to look forward to.  I feel a bit cheated tbh as I have never seen as good a City side playing at as high level as I did the first time when I was way too young to appreciate it.  

Archived