IGNORED

Have you seen City in the top division?

Eddie Hitler

City in the top league / John Atyeo  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Must be us old gits who watched us in the first division.  I never saw ATEYO just before my time, I recall John Galley with fondness and a young Chris Garland.  late 60's when i started watching City.

The promotion year and the days in the first division were amazing.  The decline was equally amazing.  From a First div team to bottom of Division 4 !   Not missed many games at all really, Joe Royale hat trick comes to mind !  Who remembers Gert Meyer ! 

Must be us old gits who watched us in the first division.  I never saw ATEYO just before my time, I recall John Galley with fondness and a young Chris Garland.  late 60's when i started watching City.

The promotion year and the days in the first division were amazing.  The decline was equally amazing.  From a First div team to bottom of Division 4 !   Not missed many games at all really, Joe Royale hat trick comes to mind !  Who remembers Gert Meyer ! 

It's a pity "Royale" never played with "Cheese". That would've been proper tasty.

From memory weren't the crowds for those matches about 37k at Highfield Road and about 43k at Highbury? So not much in it, and I've always thought we took at least twice as many to Coventry.

Either way, you'd never know the massive City support if you look at the goals from those 2 games though, somehow the footage doesn't capture just how many were there.

I seem to remember 43,000 at Highbury and 37,000 at Coventry. Irrespective of whichever way round the gates were, those games proved that we, the supporters, are top notch and deserve to be up there all the time.

my first ever game was the 1-0 win v Liverpool in mid Dec 1978.  Remember Joe Royle mishit completely catch out Ray Clemence.

But my favourite game was Coventry on a freezing Boxing Day 10 days later...5-0 with Royle bagging a hattrick.  Who got the other two?

I was 8 and my bruv 10.  We used to stand on the away end on my dads toolbox, minus the tools.

Remember my dad shouting "Mabbutt you Effin fairy" to the joy of the away support, and us grassing him up to mum when we got home, then wondering if the MOTD cameras would pick it up, as it was a televised game.  Can't remember who it was against though.

Im sure I heard him shout "you Effin pussy" at one if the MK Dons players last season.  He's 73.....what an example to set to your son and grandson.

BC69A929-67A2-4396-BF65-AC7B59AF281A_zps

my first ever game was the 1-0 win v Liverpool in mid Dec 1978.  Remember Joe Royle mishit completely catch out Ray Clemence.

But my favourite game was Coventry on a freezing Boxing Day 10 days later...5-0 with Royle bagging a hattrick.  Who got the other two?

I was 8 and my bruv 10.  We used to stand on the away end on my dads toolbox, minus the tools.

Remember my dad shouting "Mabbutt you Effin fairy" to the joy of the away support, and us grassing him up to mum when we got home, then wondering if the MOTD cameras would pick it up, as it was a televised game.  Can't remember who it was against though.

Im sure I heard him shout "you Effin pussy" at one if the MK Dons players last season.  He's 73.....what an example to set to your son and grandson.

BC69A929-67A2-4396-BF65-AC7B59AF281A_zps

...didn't Ritchie and Cormack get the other two in the 5-0 tonking of Cov City??

that was the promotion season 75/76 mate can remember being behind goal in park end in the middle of silk scarved Chelsea fans.

the sendings off were a night game at ag city won either 3-0 or 3-1 and loads of Chelsea marched around the pitch from the east end singing one tommy Langley!

ps didn't know you are a granddad :laugh:

Cheers mate, getting me Chelsea games mixed up then! Not surprised after nearly 40 years.

Been a Grandad for 3 months now, Mrs is murder, spends money on him like it's going out of fashion.

That Coventry match was my first. Attendance was 22,324 inside Ashton Gate and yes it was a freezing day.

Its a pity because on the 11v11 web site they only give the Coventry line up that day. I am sure I have a program of that match tucked in my garage somewhere. This result was some retribution for the worst ever defeat we have suffered in our history; a 9-0 defeat at Highfield Road in 1934.

Coventry Line up that day:

Starting lineup:

GoalkeeperLes Sealey
Right backMick Coop
DefenderKeith Osgood
Defender/Centre backJim Holton
MidfielderAndy Blair
MidfielderTommy Hutchison
MidfielderBarry Powell

No idea who scored the other two goals but Whitehead seems to be in the back of my mind for some reason? Gerry Gow the other?

22nd November - a special birthday memory for me - We were also on Match Of Day and That is my first memory of us being on Match Of Day but there was most likely an earlier appearance that someone will remember

What a great, and underrated player Tom was !!

City's first appearance on MOTD was in 1966 (a few weeks before the World Cup), home to Man City (1-1)

I saw the old days in the first division. Being a young teenager it was good fun in the old east end. Used to get there early to get a place behind the goal as it was always packed out by 2pm. Of course there was no mobiles in those days so everyone had a good sing song. 

Personally I really enjoyed our promotion season the most, it really seemed like a magical time. I was looking up some of the scores of that season and it is surprising how many games I had forgotten about. Tom Ritchie was my favourite player scoring a hatrick against York city.

https://youtu.be/k529LiWS0Ps

season results: http://www.11v11.com/teams/bristol-city/tab/matches/season/1976

Of course it was very nice to say goodbye to the gas. 

yes remember all of that we must be about the same age. Even having one Roy Hodgson as a manager as well. John Galley was my first City hero.

Think I missed only two home games when we were in the top flight, one of them was definitely a defeat to Man U when Cashley got injured but had to play on because there was only one (outfield) sub in those days.

Being at school throughout this era I didn't see too many away games but do recall going to Highbury to see us lose 4-1, Maine Rd in our final season in the top flight, Villa Pk, (same season) for a 2-0 win, Anfield where Dalglish scored in the first few minutes & we lost 1-0 and a 2-1 win at West Ham where me and my mate (sadly no longer with us) got chased after they realised we were City...

Just remembered I saw Norman Hunter's debut at Derby, that Coventry game and a 3-0 hiding at Brum (a Trevor Francis hat trick) too..

Happy days.

First game was the 5-0 boxing day against Coventry City which was a Christmas present from my grandad.

That game moved City up to 8th in the table and the WDP suggested that City looked likely to qualify for the UEFA Cup (Europa League to you youngsters).

Archived