IGNORED

Have you seen City in the top division?

Eddie Hitler

City in the top league / John Atyeo  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

that was the promotion season 75/76 mate can remember being behind goal in park end in the middle of silk scarved Chelsea fans.

the sendings off were a night game at ag city won either 3-0 or 3-1 and loads of Chelsea marched around the pitch from the east end singing one tommy Langley!

ps didn't know you are a granddad :laugh:

Little known fact but Tommy Langley played for 16 clubs, including South China FC!!!

First game was the 5-0 boxing day against Coventry City which was a Christmas present from my grandad.

Great memories of catching the coach from Paulton proudly sitting there with my red and white scarf. Magic

Memories like that are priceless mate.

My grandparents bought me my first City scarf, it was my prized possession, it went everywhere with me when I was a nipper, and beyond.

I was gutted when my first car was nicked from Brislington and found in Knowle West, but mostly because that scarf was under the passenger seat and the b*stard thief took that too.

The police were trying to hide their smiles when they asked me if anything was pinched from inside the car and the first thing I said was 'my City scarf...'

Sod The Jam cassettes (yes kids, cassettes!!!) I thought, I can replace those, but you can't replace your first City scarf.

It made me laugh but the copper also said, "if you want to get your car stereo back then I suggest you go in the Inns of Court pub tonight and buy it back for a fiver..."

Indeed starting going to games 71/72 season. Stand out games, beating Hull at home when Cashley scored, 73 I think, beating Man.Utd at home 1-0 whilst still in division 2, 74 I think and of course winning promotion by beating Pompey then that fantastic result at Arsenal - wonder what we might have achieved if Cheese had not got crocked next game. The great escape away at Coventry. Joe Royle's debut 4 goals and many more happy memories.

My grandparents bought me my first City scarf, it was my prized possession, it went everywhere with me when I was a nipper, and beyond.

I was gutted when my first car was nicked from Brislington and found in Knowle West, but mostly because that scarf was under the passenger seat and the b*stard thief took that too.

The police were trying to hide their smiles when they asked me if anything was pinched from inside the car and the first thing I said was 'my City scarf...'

Sod The Jam cassettes (yes kids, cassettes!!!) I thought, I can replace those, but you can't replace your first City scarf.

It made me laugh but the copper also said, "if you want to get your car stereo back then I suggest you go in the Inns of Court pub tonight and buy it back for a fiver..."

I know how much that scarf meant to you mate coz mine meant the same to me.

I would wear that scarf around the house when city were away thinking it would bring them luck and then wear it down the newsagents around 5-30pm to collect the green'un for my grandad.

We were so lucky to be nippers at that time because it was Brilliant just Brilliant

still got my first ever scarf, and a red and white woolly (bobble less) hat. The scarf is so short, and thin too!

heres Joe wearing it v Watford for the FA Cup game early in Cotts reign.

8768E760-68C4-4F10-B8AC-33E6422CDBD3_zps

wish I could find all my old programmes. 

I know how much that scarf meant to you mate coz mine meant the same to me.

I would wear that scarf around the house when city were away thinking it would bring them luck and then wear it down the newsagents around 5-30pm to collect the green'un for my grandad.

We were so lucky to be nippers at that time because it was Brilliant just Brilliant

You are not wrong mate!

That scarf went everywhere with me - defiantly tied to my wrist when I walked to school!

Football was just brilliant back then, we wont see stuff like it again. Magical memories include:

The late and very great Des Williams walking along the very long ticket queue with a pot of tea and cups in 1988

Steve Galliers shaking the hand of every away fan after a defeat at some godforsaken, remote outpost

The pastel colours in The Enclosure and their deafening support

Every City fan staying right behind Stevie Neville during a long, barren goal-less spell and then The Gate erupting when he finally notched

The fun we had in the East End when it was proper in the '70s and '80s, the kids who spout off about the EE atmosphere over the last few years haven't a clue

My dear departed Mum insisting we got there early so she could watch Joe Jordan warming up!

Bradford away in the League Cup in 1989 - no words needed....

Glyn Riley's sweatbands - long before Bobby T and Robbie T

Terry Cooper shedding tears of joy, emotion and anger because he cared so bl**dy much

Beating York City at home (1st v 2nd) in midweek to go top of div 4 - 11,000 crowd, Bristolian scores winner, mayhem..

Gerry Gow going into every challenge like his life depended on it

Paul Fitzpatrick scoring the winner after we'd gone down to 10 men against Walsall, but the fans just upped the volume and wouldn't let us lose

Martyn Hirst's goal at Eastville

I could just go on and on...but it's been a great ride, not ready to get off yet!

I can remember after beating Man Utd one Saturday, on the Monday we were on the school bus on our way home, about 8 miles, a Man Utd supporting mate who was sat behind me, had enough of my gloating and pinched my scarf then threw it out of the window.

i was so fed up at losing my scarf, after punching the lad I decided to walk the 8 miles to school the next day so I could find my scarf.

After about 5 miles of walking I found the scarf in a hedge, had a long rest and then walked the rest of the way to school, arriving just in time to catch the bus home, I boarded the bus holding my scarf proudly above my head.

1967 coming up to 50yrs now, like others Nogs etc used to go to all home most away back then; Brum I think was first game in this div...not much changes....but it does..... terracing where the Dolman is now and money,pc and h&s rule .....its got boring.

But yes seen 1st,2nd,3rd 4th div football at the gate and sometimes much worse.

Many friends and City fans have passed on but its been great and no doubt will continue to be up and down for many fans over the next 50yrs.

Me.... had enough but will follow from afar, will prob get to a few games yet but have other things to do now which are more important. Enjoy :chant6ez:

Can anyone remember going to Brighton away april 7th 1980, think it was on a monday. I can't remember many details about this game, it was one hell of a journey down their by coach but lucky we had some cider to pass the time. After to getting to the ground we ended up at the open terrace in the corner thinking what a shit ground. Can't remember anything about the game and who scored, would like to know now, we won 1-0 though. One thing I do remember after the game just before we left brighton, coach 1 decided to pull into this little garage, all the other coaches followed in behind and everyone piled into this tiny little shop, poor girl behind the tills didn't know what was happening. 

Yes. I have all the memories from late 1966 onwards, mostly from AG topped up with a few away games each season.

I don't want to dwell on the past, it's great to have memories and to know what this club could be. Some might class themselves as realists while knocking ambition, but for me it's about the future and getting to the top tier again, sooner rather than later.

:dunno: Highfield Road 37k, HIghbury 43k, That's what I said CA.

Him and Geoff Merrick IIRC. Think they were offering 500k for the two which was big money then

Pretty sure it was about 270k combined but still a big fee and huge temptation for City at the time. Fees like that were still a rarity, certainly for 2nd division players, and the 333k Malcolm Macdonald fee was still almost a year away.

Red_Robbo: It's a pity "Royale" never played with "Cheese". That would've been proper tasty.

Never would have happened Robbo. Without Cheese's injury Royle would only ever have been signed as his replacement if and when a top club came in for him with a huge bid. Otherwise it would probably have meant leaving out Tom Ritchie, who was not only a superb foil for Cheese in the promotion season, but went on to excel in City's 4 year sojourn at the top. I think Dicks knew Tom Ritchie's worth and no way would he be left out.

Royle will always be remembered for his 4 goal debut but his initial goal burst was misleading. He actually only went on to score a fairly paltry 13 goals in his other 100 First Division City appearances, and a total of 19 goals in all competitions in 120 apps.

Tom Ritchie scored 40 league goals for City in the top flight, and 58 in all competitions in the same period.

No doubt about it, Tom Ritchie is an all time Bristol City great.

Can anyone remember going to Brighton away april 7th 1980, think it was on a monday. I can't remember many details about this game, it was one hell of a journey down their by coach but lucky we had some cider to pass the time. After to getting to the ground we ended up at the open terrace in the corner thinking what a shit ground. Can't remember anything about the game and who scored, would like to know now, we won 1-0 though. One thing I do remember after the game just before we left brighton, coach 1 decided to pull into this little garage, all the other coaches followed in behind and everyone piled into this tiny little shop, poor girl behind the tills didn't know what was happening. 

I was there Threshing and almost uniquely for away trips at the time had a camera with me.

As well as a group photo at the entrance of the later to be bombed Grand Hotel in the morning I've got a photo somewhere taken at the match, looking up the terrace at the City fans at half time. Mostly our group of 10 or so, but also random other City fans who were just stood around.

Perhaps one of them is you?

I'll stick it up on here sometime if I can find it.

I was there Threshing and almost uniquely for away trips at the time had a camera with me.

As well as a group photo at the entrance of the later to be bombed Grand Hotel in the morning I've got a photo somewhere taken at the match, looking up the terrace at the City fans at half time. Mostly our group of 10 or so, but also random other City fans who were just stood around.

Perhaps one of them is you?

I'll stick it up on here sometime if I can find it.

Thanks I would love to see the photos I think I was stood there at half time. Do you remember who scored the goal?

Tom Richie scored diving header, remember every person being searched by the police as we got off the coach, took ages to get into the ground.my mate and a few lads who had been to Brighton all weekend were in their end and started singing, Brighton ran until they realised there was only about 7 of them, luckily the police got them out before any serious scrapping. Also seem to remember it was only chicken wire separating us and the Brighton fans on both sides and they were trying to rip it down all game.

I'm glad I have read this thread because I have totally forgotten about the misty Leeds game, total Carnage.

What good memories, if only I could relive them.

Similar to Graham C. I was at secondary school at the time, seen most home matches but only went to 1 away, that 4-1 defeat at Highbury. If memory serves we  we're 4-1 down after 20 mins! Started to worry that they would put 9 past us like their rivals Tottenham had done to the Gas earlier in the season...indeed, Rovers were at home to Spurs that very day. In second half City twice hit the woodwork.

One game that sticks out in mind was Huddersfield Town away at Leeds road in around 1989-90.

If my memory is correct we lost at home to Fulham the,week before 5-1 and everyone to a man said not going all that way next week.

Of course the following Saturday four of us in the Sierra on route to Huddersfield Town and Walshy hit the winner in front of the away fans with about ten minutes to go.

Should of got arrested that day as my language wasn't the best but the coppers just told me claim down.

Not my first game and not in the top division and the opposition was not the most glamorous but a truly wonderful day that makes supporting this fabulous football so good.

Thanks I would love to see the photos I think I was stood there at half time. Do you remember who scored the goal?

Will do mate, but don't hold your breath. I'll have to find it first and I'm hopeless at putting pics. up on a computer so it will probably have to wait til the Enormous Turnip is back for his hols.

Coincidentally he's studying in Brighton, even lives a few hundred yards from the ground, but has a long standing arrangement on Tuesday so can't go.:doh:

P.S. I'm sure cidercity has got the City goalscorer right, one of the last of Tom Ritchie's top flight 40.

One early game I did 'see' when I first supported City, in 1976, was the one against Leeds at the Gate when the fog was so dense that you couldn't see the other side of the pitch. Eventually, the ref just had to call time on the game. Can't remember the score. 

0/0 think I can remember reading the next day we had hit the bar!!!!!

Wish I could say I've seen City in the old Div 1 days but way before my time... my old man and his old man would have though. They would have seen Mr Atyeo too.

I'm proud to say I've seen the likes of Paul Agostino, Shaun 'Feed the Goat' Goater, Ade Akinbyi, Tin Man, Scotty, Mickey Bell, Matt 'toe punt it' Hill, Tony Thorpe, Keith Welch and many more from the mid-late 90s to present day. In fact, my old man gifted me his Bristol Babes book he was given from his work back in the 90s after a bout of illness. I'm gonna have a re-read I think...:city:

Archived