IGNORED

Have you seen City in the top division?

Eddie Hitler

City in the top league / John Atyeo  

172 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yep, seen them up there. My old man's been taking me to Ashton Gate since I was old enough to walk unaided (funnily enough I can't do that now sometimes!!)

One of my earliest memories is of a 2-2 draw with Chelsea and I think Trevor Tainton and Micky Droy got sent off. Though that may have been the promotion season - Noggers or Slarti will know.

First away game (outside Bristol) was Crystal Palace, Joe Royle scored and John Shaw saved 2 penalties.

Hopefully we'll be back up there by the time I starting dragging my Grandson along (his dad plays rugby)

Yep, great great times. Big crowds (who can forget the 38,000 against Liverpool), great team, great opposition players, proper football. 

For some reason I remember beating Ipswich 3-1 in early 1979 better than most other games. Lord Gerald Gow frightened the life outta Paul Mariner! And what a great Ipswich team that was....

Never rated big John myself

stern_john_bristol_city.jpg

That's not BIG John.... that's Slightly Strict John............not nearly as Stern as we were first led to believe

And YES I had a ST in the enclosure in 77 & 78 & 79 princely sum of about £15 I think - my old man bought me them so not sure exact cost

Got loads of ticket stubbs from those days too...... Dolman tickets were cardboard not paper crap 

yep, my dad took me and i loved it but football is a very different monster now and not sure i would enjoy the prem.

Sadly seen us drop down all the divisions after 4 seasons up there with the best.

Not seen Atyeo play bar only video clips but you can't argue with his record and stats as a player to show how good he was.

I remember the Arsenal game you mention very well. I was in the EE and it was/is my birthday :laugh:!

I met John many times at the club as he would come to most home games and would often be seen at the directors entrance if you got there early enough for autograph's. What a very nice man, I think he began to recognise me as I was there a lot and would always pat me on the head, after he signed my prog (again)!

First game in August 1950 away at Torquay.  Fear my last game might be a repeat of that!!!!

Big John is the greatest City player I have seen but cameos by Arthur Milton and Chris Crowe (both former England forwards) also stand out.

Despite my grandfather's admiration for Atyeo he remained faithful to the memory of Billy Wedlock - save for the cup final when his England teammate beat him to score the only goal for Manchester United.

I guess all our heroes are born in our youth.  

I live always in hope and just maybe my worst fears will not come about and Kodiga will one day fire us into The Premiership.

After all hope is the common currency for all us City supporters!

Just too many memories of those years - Highbury, Coventry, beating Liverpool, Norman Hunter, East End surges, being terrified at away games sometimes, being chased all the way back to Lime Street from Anfield, walking from TM to AG and often getting mixed up with the away fans (Leeds on the foggy day was the worst), getting chased around the old Brent Knoll service area by Villa (five of us, twenty of them) and many, many more.

Wouldn`t change it for the world.

First attended as a lickle boy in 1970/71.

I wasn't particularly "in" to football as a youngster, despite going to loads of matches. I suppose it was so all-present in our house that I just thought it was something all adults did.

Highlighst of my visits back then were to get a Wagon Wheel or a Curly Wurly from the old tuck shop in the Grandstand. 

I just missed the Div 1 days. My first game was the season after we got relegated from the top flight, so my first two seasons of watching City involved successive relegations and near-bankrupcy. Still loved it as a young lad, though - I had no real concept of the league table (a bit like SOD!) so took one game at a time. There was never any question of me supporting another team.

I started watching City in 68-69 season, so the answer is yes. August 76 we travelled to Highbury just KNOWING that City were going to win, but not wanting to tempt fate by saying so.

The EP ran an article stating that after 65 years absence, it'll be a unique experience for all City fans to see City play top flight football. They were then bombarded with letters from guys in their 70s & 80s recalling the previous time.

Yes watched City play in top flight ,home and away . Bit nerve racking going away in those days ,never know what was going to happen once you got off the coach . Still great fun although we didnt win very often . Arsenal away first game back still stands out ,waited all summer for it ,was a glorious hot day ,City everywhere in all the pubs etc and then of course we only went on to win .Gooners were well peed off after ,got out alive just . Proper away day 

what day that was football special train packed. Malcolm Macdonald was making his debut for Arsenal all summer in the papers what he was going to do to us! Arsenal fans not happy at the end or Chelsea fans who we bumped into on the way back from Orient (I think) playing their first game in dig 2 after relegation. Great day for all

Just too many memories of those years - Highbury, Coventry, beating Liverpool, Norman Hunter, East End surges, being terrified at away games sometimes, being chased all the way back to Lime Street from Anfield, walking from TM to AG and often getting mixed up with the away fans (Leeds on the foggy day was the worst), getting chased around the old Brent Knoll service area by Villa (five of us, twenty of them) and many, many more.

Wouldn`t change it for the world.

My god I'm still having nightmares about that foggy Leeds game. I was 13 at the time and can remember the chaos outside after the ref called it off.

Yep, seen them up there. My old man's been taking me to Ashton Gate since I was old enough to walk unaided (funnily enough I can't do that now sometimes!!)

One of my earliest memories is of a 2-2 draw with Chelsea and I think Trevor Tainton and Micky Droy got sent off. Though that may have been the promotion season - Noggers or Slarti will know.

First away game (outside Bristol) was Crystal Palace, Joe Royle scored and John Shaw saved 2 penalties.

Hopefully we'll be back up there by the time I starting dragging my Grandson along (his dad plays rugby)

that was the promotion season 75/76 mate can remember being behind goal in park end in the middle of silk scarved Chelsea fans.

the sendings off were a night game at ag city won either 3-0 or 3-1 and loads of Chelsea marched around the pitch from the east end singing one tommy Langley!

ps didn't know you are a granddad :laugh:

First game was in 1975/76, York I think, Tom Ritchie scored a hat trick.

First night match was Pompey (yes, that one).

First away game was the Arsenal.

First away night game was Coventry (yes, that one again!!).

How lucky was I? Cheers dad. :thumbsup:

22nd November - a special birthday memory for me - We were also on Match Of Day and That is my first memory of us being on Match Of Day but there was most likely an earlier appearance that someone will remember

What a great, and underrated player Tom was !!

22nd November - a special birthday memory for me - We were also on Match Of Day and That is my first memory of us being on Match Of Day but there was most likely an earlier appearance that someone will remember

What a great, and underrated player Tom was !!

Really? My lad was born on 22nd November. Spooky! 

I don't think Tom was underrated, wasn't he one of the players Arsenal wanted at the time?

Him and Geoff Merrick IIRC. Think they were offering 500k for the two which was big money then.

Not half! When you think Supermac went there for £333,333.33 and he was, probably, the best striker in the country at the time. I genuinely didn't know it was that much and am surprised we turned that down tbh.

Archived