IGNORED

From 'The Proud One' to 'The Redundant One'?

Curr Avon

Steve Cotterill has performed wonders with City over the last 2 years, taking a team from the bottom of League 1 into The Championship.

However, today proved that he may have reached the end of his elastic.

Losing 4-0 at half time is bad enough, but failing to make any changes until the 64th minute, and to add insult to injury, bringing on a wing back is crass, crazy and leaves me with little faith in our Gaffer's ability to rescue City from relegation.

Pride is an admirable quality, Steve, but your inability to play Simon Cox until 20 minutes from the end of today's game also left me dumbfounded. Why did you bring him to the club? And will Kieran Agard ever play for City again under your management? Were you convinced that the 11 players who finished the first half were good enough to turn the game around?

The result was not about a bad day at the office Steve, but the culmination of a series of poor decisions throughout the season, when changing personnel during matches could have reaped greater rewards; namely Cardiff, MK Dons and Ipswich.

Today could be the fall, and a lot of of us have seen it coming. However, I doubt that our Board are brave enough, or have the foresight to make a change. Their incompetent forays in the transfer market this season are testament to that.

His stubbornness will be his downfall. Even last year his subs left most baffled but we didn't question him on our way to 99 points. 

He leaves much to be desired against quality sides though. From the top 6 last season we only took about half he points from those 10 games. The signs were there even then. Give him the personnel and we probably would've been a comfortable mid table team. We didn't though and now his stubbornness is costing us. We have quality on the bench that should be starting as no one has played well enough to not be dropped. I expect no to one change for Tuesday. I also expect a L. We are awful defensively and as I said for Fulham we are playing quality attackers. I expect at least 2 from Wolves and we may get one from some Kodjia magic. Depressing when you know what's gonna happen. Most of our results feel inevitable and probably because we know we can count on Coterhill to be stubborn and not change a damn thing. 

The substitutions today were simply bizarre and I agree with your points Curr

He stated he took off LF as he had been booked yet JK who is far more valuable to us had been booked and had been crunched twice in first half

I would have taken JK off at half time - the game was dead at 3-0 let alone 4

otherwise as you suggest I would have saved Wilbs legs for 45 and looked at Cox or KA in partnership with JK

KA looked very demoralised stretching down by the Atyeo 2nd half - can hardly expect him to stay motivated forerver

SC say's it takes 15 ish games for players to get up to speed....well it's almost there. Perhaps he should include himself in that.

Without being pedantic...it's not really our players fault....SC is stubborn and refuses to budge on his belief.

With Freeman and Kodijia booked and 4 nil down at half time....It would have made sense to rest Wilbs for Tuesday, sub Freeman and Kodijia too, to save for Tuesday.

Imho...should have brought Cox and Agard and Reid all on and said 'show me what you can do....give me a problem for Tuesday night'. That would have motivated them and also helped the other three from suspension or tiredness.

Good points well made there, Spudski. 

Mind you, if Cotterill is certain that his very small squad need a 15 game start, then he also believes that he is still in control of the script, and events.

This story won't end well.

What's Nigel Pearson up to these days?

Did I here right on Radio Bristol that he was practically putting the blame of our defeat on the fact that we didn't create enough chances, no mention that our defence  let in 4 goals in the first 35 minutes, our defence/system is being found out every time we meet a half decent team

8 minutes ago, harrys said:

Did I here right on Radio Bristol that he was practically putting the blame of our defeat on the fact that we didn't create enough chances, no mention that our defence  let in 4 goals in the first 35 minutes, our defence/system is being found out every time we meet a half decent team

To be fair to him there are people on here doing the same. Blaming Wilbraham, Freeman for our problems when we look likely to concede every time the ball goes near our box.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The substitutions today were simply bizarre and I agree with your points Curr

He stated he took off LF as he had been booked yet JK who is far more valuable to us had been booked and had been crunched twice in first half

I would have taken JK off at half time - the game was dead at 3-0 let alone 4

otherwise as you suggest I would have saved Wilbs legs for 45 and looked at Cox or KA in partnership with JK

KA looked very demoralised stretching down by the Atyeo 2nd half - can hardly expect him to stay motivated forerver

Take Kodjia off at half time? That's insane. Imagine the stick he'd have received on here if he had done that. 

8 minutes ago, eric04 said:

Take Kodjia off at half time? That's insane. Imagine the stick he'd have received on here if he had done that. 

Why insane - if he'd been injured or sent off in a game that had sailed after 30 mins we definitely would be up the proverbial creek ( he'd been booked and crunched twice before h/t )

Did you think we could get something out the game ?

5 minutes ago, eric04 said:

The logic would have been with the game gone, give a key player or two a rest for Tuesday, and give a few others a run out.

25 minutes ago, harrys said:

I think the gist of what he was saying was that we create plenty of chances but need more than other teams to score a goal. At one stage in the game Fulham had, had 4 chances and scored 4 goals. Whereas we had, had the same amount of chances but hadn't taken them. Think it was yet again a dig at the board for not getting in the quality goalscorer in the summer. I think he was looking at playing a top finisher alongside JK, who I think is more than capable of playing as the hold the ball up striker as he has shown many times. JK is a massive talent but needs an out and out finisher alongside him imo.

2 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I think the gist of what he was saying was that we create plenty of chances but need more than other teams to score a goal. At one stage in the game Fulham had, had 4 chances and scored 4 goals. Whereas we had, had the same amount of chances but hadn't taken them. Think it was yet again a dig at the board for not getting in the quality goalscorer in the summer. I think he was looking at playing a top finisher alongside JK, who I think is more than capable of playing as the hold the ball up striker as he has shown many times. JK is a massive talent but needs an out and out finisher alongside him imo.

There was a graph posted up a few weeks back, that showed how many chances were converted by teams. We were right up their....so I don't know why SC thinks differently.

It did however show, how inadequate we are at defending.

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Mind you, if Cotterill is certain that his very small squad need a 15 game start, then he also believes that he is still in control of the script, and events.

This story won't end well.

What's Nigel Pearson up to these days?

Having a most unseemly touchline fracas with McArthur last I remember, and being extremely angry in interviews.

As for this story not ending well, the board won't act to remove a very popular and successful City manager while the team remain out of the bottom 3 and, more to the point, in easy catching distance ( 3 points) of 16th place.

They will also take into account there is very little groundswell amongst the fans to change the manager, despite a few multiple posters on OTIB, and one or two who speak solely for themselves on phone-ins. 

5 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Steve Cotterill has performed wonders with City over the last 2 years, taking a team from the bottom of League 1 into The Championship.

However, today proved that he may have reached the end of his elastic.

Losing 4-0 at half time is bad enough, but failing to make any changes until the 64th minute, and to add insult to injury, bringing on a wing back is crass, crazy and leaves me with little faith in our Gaffer's ability to rescue City from relegation.

Pride is an admirable quality, Steve, but your inability to play Simon Cox until 20 minutes from the end of today's game also left me dumbfounded. Why did you bring him to the club? And will Kieran Agard ever play for City again under your management? Were you convinced that the 11 players who finished the first half were good enough to turn the game around?

The result was not about a bad day at the office Steve, but the culmination of a series of poor decisions throughout the season, when changing personnel during matches could have reaped greater rewards; namely Cardiff, MK Dons and Ipswich.

Today could be the fall, and a lot of of us have seen it coming. However, I doubt that our Board are brave enough, or have the foresight to make a change. Their incompetent forays in the transfer market this season are testament to that.

So, City should sack the manager who saved us from Div.4, then took us to our most glorious promotion for decades, after less than a 3rd of the season with the club not even in the relegation zone.

Just preposterous.

No out of work manager with an ounce of sense or self respect is going to be interested in getting embroiled in a club like that, and you could hardly blame them.

Never mind, let's do the dirty on Cotts. anyway, there's always ******* Hollowhead.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

There was a graph posted up a few weeks back, that showed how many chances were converted by teams. We were right up their....so I don't know why SC thinks differently.

It did however show, how inadequate we are at defending.

Similarly to where we sit in the league that graph probably shows a false position ;)

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So, City should sack the manager who saved us from Div.4, then took us to our most glorious promotion for decades, after less than a 3rd of the season with the club not even in the relegation zone.

Just preposterous.

No out of work manager with an ounce of sense or self respect is going to be interested in getting embroiled in a club like that, and you could hardly blame them.

Never mind, let's do the dirty on Cotts. anyway, there's always ******* Hollowhead.

Let's not do the dirty on Cotts????

what on earth are you on about?

I do wonder why we persist with 3-5-2 when every other team in the Championship only uses it in specific circumstances. Does Cotts knows more than all the rest? Seems to work OK when playing against teams who struggle to score but we're torn apart when playing against decent strikers. We need to adapt our style of play more to suit the opposition we face, that's what the other teams do. I fear for Cotts if the same happens on Tuesday, Lansdown's patience is probably wearing a bit thin now.

Perhaps the Proud One and the Special One are inextricably linked?

01/11/2014

Bristol City W10 D6 L0 F33 A17 (first)
Chelsea W8 D2 L0 F26 A10 (first)

01/11/2015

Bristol City W2 D5 L7 F16 A26 (fourth from bottom)
Chelsea W3 D2 L6 F16 A22 (sixth from bottom)

4 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Let's not do the dirty on Cotts????

what on earth are you on about?

Self explanatory I'd have thought, but anyway.......

I mean stabbing a successful and popular manager in the back before giving him reasonable time to turn things round in an infinitely tougher division.

12 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Just preposterous.

SC is the 27th longest serving manager in the English football league. There is a long list of managers below him.

I understand any Club wants stability....it makes sense. But football has a constant turn over of managers in general, so your reasoning that no manager would want to come here makes no sense at all....look at Leeds....and yet still managers go their. It's part of football.

I had faith in what SoD was doing, but knew his time was up when he went.

I really don't understand your reasoning of 'doing the dirty' on Cotts.

He achieved promotion from League 1....fantastic....great job. But right now, he's got 11 points from a possible 42....and conceding goals like it's going out of fashion.

He refuses to budge on his principles of playing a certain way....other managers in this Division see it and even comment about it.

Pretty much everyone in football can see it....apart from him.

Sometimes blind faith in something, shows you are pig headed and will cut off your nose to spite your face, rather than admit you are wrong and try to change things.

We look great going forward...but football is about defending as well. We don't do that very well using SC's system.

The players are playing under his instructions...they are good enough to be mid table imho, but SC's tactics are clearly not working....if they were we wouldn't be where we are now.

SC has every opportunity to put things right...but I think your loved one will fall on his own sword....he's that stubborn.

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

SC is the 27th longest serving manager in the English football league. There is a long list of managers below him.

I understand any Club wants stability....it makes sense. But football has a constant turn over of managers in general, so your reasoning that no manager would want to come here makes no sense at all....look at Leeds....and yet still managers go their. It's part of football.

He achieved promotion from League 1....fantastic....great job. But right now, he's got 11 points from a possible 42....and conceding goals like it's going out of fashion.

He refuses to budge on his principles of playing a certain way....other managers in this Division see it and even comment about it.

Sometimes blind faith in something, shows you are pig headed and will cut off your nose to spite your face, rather than admit you are wrong and try to change things.

We look great going forward...but football is about defending as well. We don't do that very well using SC's system.

The players are playing under his instructions...they are good enough to be mid table imho, but SC's tactics are clearly not working....if they were we wouldn't be where we are now.

SC has every opportunity to put things right...but I think your loved one will fall on his own sword....he's that stubborn.

I agree...Ian Holloway praised Cotts for sticking to his guns and refusing to change the formation after the Cardiff game, he is probably well chuffed deep down at our poor start to the season so by praising Cotts he's probably hoping nothing will be changed and we'll continue in the same vein.

Also, it may just be me, but I can't believe Cotts said we were the better team for the first half hour yesterday in one of his post match interviews...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I agree...Ian Holloway praised Cotts for sticking to his guns and refusing to change the formation after the Cardiff game, he is probably well chuffed deep down at our poor start to the season so by praising Cotts he's probably hoping nothing will be changed and we'll continue in the same vein.

Also, it may just be me, but I can't believe Cotts said we were the better team for the first half hour yesterday in one of his post match interviews...

I'm really not sure other managers feel like that towards fellow professionals....they all know it's a tough job.

Players and managers have no real loyalty to Clubs....it's a job. Most would play for City or Rovers if they needed a job and it was offered.

I admire SC for having a 'belief'...that's a good thing. But I don't think we have the players capable at this level to play the expansive way he wants, and get consistent results.

It's the consistency we lack. Too easy to score against.

I too was flabbergast at his assessment of the first half hour.

I wouldn't be surprised if we spanked Wolves though...we are due another win....

It feels like we win 1 in 5.

5 hours ago, Olé said:

Perhaps the Proud One and the Special One are inextricably linked?

01/11/2014

Bristol City W10 D6 L0 F33 A17 (first)
Chelsea W8 D2 L0 F26 A10 (first)

01/11/2015

Bristol City W2 D5 L7 F16 A26 (fourth from bottom)
Chelsea W3 D2 L6 F16 A22 (sixth from bottom)

Those stats were certainly not lost on me.

Nicely pulled together and highlighted OLÉ.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

You can't have it both ways, one of your major criticisms was being to quick to sack managers and the scandalous turn over of managers when SOD was sacked.

18 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Why insane - if he'd been injured or sent off in a game that had sailed after 30 mins we definitely would be up the proverbial creek ( he'd been booked and crunched twice before h/t )

Did you think we could get something out the game ?

Whilst I see the point your making, if he'd have taken Kodjia off at half time I'd have left there and then, and I expect many others would've as well.

Archived