IGNORED

From 'The Proud One' to 'The Redundant One'?

Curr Avon

50 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Something like 80% of City supporters were against the appointment of Cotterill before and immediately after he was appointed. Many made very derogatory comments.

Fast forward a few months and the majority of those have publically admitted they were wrong.

However a dogged few who like to think they know better than anyone else, including experts inside the game, will never accept Cotterill because it means admitting they were wrong.

Comments such as yours "I don't think he can take us any forward", which is also a particular favourite of Spudski and a couple of others, aren't very insightful because chances are that there are very few managers who would be capable of taking us any further forward, and nobody could possibly predict who those might be.

Despite the fact we are getting dicked - scoreline wise - every other game I am enjoying the football which is several light years ahead of what we endured under the previous manager. You don't have to like the manager to enjoy his brand of football.

Debating performances of the players and the decisions of the manager are one thing, but sweeping statements such as he makes bizarre decisions are in themselves bizarre.

Suggesting that one of the most successful managers we have ever had should or could be sacked - don't know about you but plenty have - barely a quarter of the way into the season is just ridiculous. He may well have made mistakes, who doesn't, but I very much hope SL evaluates whether Cotterill will get it right, which this season will simply mean staying in the division. If we achieve that playing the quality and style of football - admittedly not defending - which we have, I for one will be ecstatic.

Tut tut tut... How can you say that about the experts on OTIB...

Completly agree tho NickJ! 

43 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Something like 80% of City supporters were against the appointment of Cotterill before and immediately after he was appointed. Many made very derogatory comments.

Fast forward a few months and the majority of those have publically admitted they were wrong.

However a dogged few who like to think they know better than anyone else, including experts inside the game, will never accept Cotterill because it means admitting they were wrong.

Comments such as yours "I don't think he can take us any forward", which is also a particular favourite of Spudski and a couple of others, aren't very insightful because chances are that there are very few managers who would be capable of taking us any further forward, and nobody could possibly predict who those might be.

Despite the fact we are getting dicked - scoreline wise - every other game I am enjoying the football which is several light years ahead of what we endured under the previous manager. You don't have to like the manager to enjoy his brand of football.

Debating performances of the players and the decisions of the manager are one thing, but sweeping statements such as he makes bizarre decisions are in themselves bizarre.

Suggesting that one of the most successful managers we have ever had should or could be sacked - don't know about you but plenty have - barely a quarter of the way into the season is just ridiculous. He may well have made mistakes, who doesn't, but I very much hope SL evaluates whether Cotterill will get it right, which this season will simply mean staying in the division. If we achieve that playing the quality and style of football - admittedly not defending - which we have, I for one will be ecstatic.

Cott's appointment was badly handled .

The board went back on their word over the interviewing process and this  raised questions about the validity of his successful application.

It smelt of favouritism over professional due diligence at a time when faith in the board was at an all time low.

It was this i believe that meant Cotterill started off on a negative for many.

The football is great , last year was amazing but Cotts will go if results don't improve .

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Whilst your sentiment is very nice and everything I am certainly glad that you are not Cotterills employer. I genuinely believe that complacency like what you are showing can lead to clubs going backwards.  You said it yourself, "we are getting dicked" - the fact that you are being entertained is completely irrelevant. 

We are in the relegation zone and financially we cannot really afford to go down.  This means that if we continue not picking up results then the board have a choice to make.  I'm afraid that more often than not in football a change in manager mid season has been proven to change a teams fortunes around so it is a risk that the club will be tempted by.

Its nothing to do with people admitting they were wrong etc.  It is clearly obvious to me and others that we need to start thinking about a change.  I don't know why people are getting so upset about it.  Football is an extremely fickle game nowadays with managers switching jobs all the time.  I am not saying that I am happy about that but we can't afford to fanny around just because we had an amazing season last year.

On 11/1/2015, 1:12:38, spudski said:
2 hours ago, Collis1 said:

I have found myself agreeing with them from pretty much day one.  Don't be offended or critise my opinion but I have never really connected with him, find him quite unlikable and have a strong feeling that he won't be able to take us any further up the footballing ladder.  That doesn't mean to say I won't be proved wrong but it sounds like there are many fans who feel the same way.

21 hours ago, Collis1 said:

You've agreed with them from day one?

In that case, like them, you've already been proved completely wrong.

You've never really connected with him or find him likeable?

Irrelevant. To be frank, nobody cares whether you like him personally or not.

You, and Kid, have said many fans feel the same way as you - no doubt some do, and always have - but my experience is the opposite.

Those I speak to away from OTIB want stability, very much welcome a City team endeavouring to play entertaining football, and believe SC will keep us up.

1 hour ago, Collis1 said:

Whilst your sentiment is very nice and everything I am certainly glad that you are not Cotterills employer. I genuinely believe that complacency like what you are showing can lead to clubs going backwards.  You said it yourself, "we are getting dicked" - the fact that you are being entertained is completely irrelevant. 

We are in the relegation zone and financially we cannot really afford to go down.  This means that if we continue not picking up results then the board have a choice to make.  I'm afraid that more often than not in football a change in manager mid season has been proven to change a teams fortunes around so it is a risk that the club will be tempted by.

Its nothing to do with people admitting they were wrong etc.  It is clearly obvious to me and others that we need to start thinking about a change.  I don't know why people are getting so upset about it.  Football is an extremely fickle game nowadays with managers switching jobs all the time.  I am not saying that I am happy about that but we can't afford to fanny around just because we had an amazing season last year.

I would say I am glad you are not Cotterill's employer. Apart from the amazing first 2 years in charge, don't you think that if Cotterill has made any mistakes, he will have learned from them? Isn't it also possible that we are about at our level - I would imagine salary comparisons would suggest so - and so anything which Cotterill achieve above that would be over performing? My comment about getting dicked was tongue in cheek - of the games I have seen this season we have only been outplayed once, by Reading. Fulham didn't outplay us, they took advantage of very poor defending and mistakes. In the first half they were in our penalty area 4 times and scored 4 times - literally. In between, we had by far the majority of the game - I take positivity from that.

It is clearly obvious to me and others that we do not need to make a change. We are playing fantastic football, the games are very enjoyable - much more so than the last time we were in the Championship - and we are not in the relegation zone.

What's not to like?

12 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I would say I am glad you are not Cotterill's employer. Apart from the amazing first 2 years in charge, don't you think that if Cotterill has made any mistakes, he will have learned from them? Isn't it also possible that we are about at our level - I would imagine salary comparisons would suggest so - and so anything which Cotterill achieve above that would be over performing? My comment about getting dicked was tongue in cheek - of the games I have seen this season we have only been outplayed once, by Reading. Fulham didn't outplay us, they took advantage of very poor defending and mistakes. In the first half they were in our penalty area 4 times and scored 4 times - literally. In between, we had by far the majority of the game - I take positivity from that.

It is clearly obvious to me and others that we do not need to make a change. We are playing fantastic football, the games are very enjoyable - much more so than the last time we were in the Championship - and we are not in the relegation zone.

What's not to like?

You make some good points and I can begin to understand where you are coming from, but I still feel you are being slightly over protective of him.  The wage budget aspect might be true, although none of really know for sure. You are also forgetting that he has spent over 2 million in the summer on fees.

On this thread I was more defending peoples right to have an opinion on the matter.  You get accused of being the grim reaper if you even dare to suggest things are not working.

I am also interested to know when your view will change.  If we are bottom of the league in January/February I would highly doubt that you will be so supportive. From what I know relegation would be a mini disaster for us financially.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

How have we been proved completely wrong Noggers?

Said it a thousand times....'Cotts will keep us and get us promotion, but after that, I can only see it turning sour'. Where is that wrong? He kept us up....he got promotion....and the final bit has yet to be proved....so you are barking up the wrong tree completely mate.

For someone who doesn't have a 'love in' with Cotts, it's remarkable how much your posts are just about defending him regardless....or speaking about other posters who don't agree with you.

I don't know who you talk to in your private life, but the majority of people I speak too, like others have said on here, feel that unless results improve, then another manager should be found before Xmas. I think you are definitely in a minority, like I was when I stuck up for SoD.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

How have we been proved completely wrong Noggers?

Said it a thousand times....'Cotts will keep us and get us promotion,

You are amusing.

Google "OTIB - Depths of Despair (your previous name) - Cotterill" and one of many threads come up for example:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/161463-dressing-room-lost/&page=1

No doubt you will accuse me of nit-picking but the fact is your comment above is untrue and so to quote just some of your comments from February 2014:

So if we do achieve staving off relegation...does anyone really believe SC is the right man to create a team that will win promotion in the future?

Lets face it...this club has ****** up again.

If we go down...are the fans still going to trust the judgement of our board and owner?

Now we're still in the same position going backwards with players losing interest it seems.

We've moved backwards again...at least we were moving forward before...albeit slowly.

Right now we are rudderless....regardless of todays win. There is no platform from which to build...

We are just spiralling downwards gradually

It's alarming that you can't see that we are scrapping for points, treading water again and going no where.

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

You are amusing.

Google "OTIB - Depths of Despair (your previous name) - Cotterill" and one of many threads come up for example:

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/161463-dressing-room-lost/&page=1

No doubt you will accuse me of nit-picking but the fact is your comment above is untrue and so to quote just some of your comments from February 2014:

So if we do achieve staving off relegation...does anyone really believe SC is the right man to create a team that will win promotion in the future?

Lets face it...this club has ****** up again.

If we go down...are the fans still going to trust the judgement of our board and owner?

Now we're still in the same position going backwards with players losing interest it seems.

We've moved backwards again...at least we were moving forward before...albeit slowly.

Right now we are rudderless....regardless of todays win. There is no platform from which to build...

We are just spiralling downwards gradually

It's alarming that you can't see that we are scrapping for points, treading water again and going no where.

Anyone can pick out quotes to make them fit an argument. Totally taken out of context from the time it was written. Go find all the other quotes where I've said we will get promoted under him too. I stand by what I say...I don't think he is the man to get us to the nest level.

Love the fact you're taking such an interest...it's quiet amusing too....some people have too much time on their hands it seems, and get easily irked by a bloke on a football forum...bless you.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Anyone can pick out quotes to make them fit an argument. Totally taken out of context from the time it was written. Go find all the other quotes where I've said we will get promoted under him too. I stand by what I say...I don't think he is the man to get us to the nest level.

Love the fact you're taking such an interest...it's quiet amusing too....some people have too much time on their hands it seems, and get easily irked by a bloke on a football forum...bless you.

So you said for example "does anyone really believe SC is the right man to create a team that will win promotion in the future? AND you said he would get us promoted?

Which one is taken out of context?

I'm not irked but I am intrigued to know what substance you are abusing.

18 hours ago, Collis1 said:

You make some good points and I can begin to understand where you are coming from, but I still feel you are being slightly over protective of him.  The wage budget aspect might be true, although none of really know for sure. You are also forgetting that he has spent over 2 million in the summer on fees.

On this thread I was more defending peoples right to have an opinion on the matter.  You get accused of being the grim reaper if you even dare to suggest things are not working.

I am also interested to know when your view will change.  If we are bottom of the league in January/February I would highly doubt that you will be so supportive. From what I know relegation would be a mini disaster for us financially.

So long as Cotterill sends out a team that entertains, then win or lose I won't be changing my view.

I have had faith in Cotterill from the start, nevertheless what he did in the first 18 months could not have been predicted. Bottom of the Championship in January 2016 would still be in excess of my expectations from 2 years previous.

5 minutes ago, NickJ said:

So long as Cotterill sends out a team that entertains, then win or lose I won't be changing my view.

I find this sentence borderline ridiculous, but you are entitled to your view. 

I imagine it was that kind of attitude that led to Bristol Rovers ending up in the conference.

7 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

I find this sentence borderline ridiculous, but you are entitled to your view. 

I imagine it was that kind of attitude that led to Bristol Rovers ending up in the conference.

Why would it be ridiculous to want to be entertained?

When did Bristol Rovers ever entertain?

15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Why would it be ridiculous to want to be entertained?

When did Bristol Rovers ever entertain?

You essentially said that if we lose every week but you are entertained then everything is OK - that is ridiculous.  In an ideal world of course I would like to be entertained every week but that's impossible.  Winning games is far more important especially in a volatile industry - it doesn't matter how we do it.  Maybe trying to play attractive football all the time is the reason we have been turned over a few times this season?

I didn't say Rovers were entertaining.  I said it was that 'kind of attitude.'  I.e All their fans said 'dont worry - we wont get relegated' and then they did. Surely its our duty as fans to not allow any complacency to set it?

10 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

You essentially said that if we lose every week but you are entertained then everything is OK - that is ridiculous.  In an ideal world of course I would like to be entertained every week but that's impossible.  Winning games is far more important especially in a volatile industry - it doesn't matter how we do it.  Maybe trying to play attractive football all the time is the reason we have been turned over a few times this season?

I didn't say Rovers were entertaining.  I said it was that 'kind of attitude.'  I.e All their fans said 'dont worry - we wont get relegated' and then they did. Surely its our duty as fans to not allow any complacency to set it?

No, I didn't say if we lost every week everything would be ok - for many people it would not be.

What I did say is that so long as I am entertained I would not change my view on Cotterill. That is not ridiculous, it is where I stand.

In any case I believe that Cotterill will continue to send out entertaining teams and keep us in the division. A number of people say he should be sacked, or the board should be contemplating that, because they don't think he will.

Just as when he took over and we were bottom of division 3, we will see.

14 minutes ago, NickJ said:
15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

No, I didn't say if we lost every week everything would be ok - for many people it would not be.

What I did say is that so long as I am entertained I would not change my view on Cotterill. That is not ridiculous, it is where I stand.

In any case I believe that Cotterill will continue to send out entertaining teams and keep us in the division. A number of people say he should be sacked, or the board should be contemplating that, because they don't think he will.

Just as when he took over and we were bottom of division 3, we will see.

You have backtracked a bit there.  Your post definitely implied that entertainment was your primary concern.

Anyway, we got 3 points last night so everyone is happy.  (As long as you were entertained :p)

24 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

You have backtracked a bit there.  Your post definitely implied that entertainment was your primary concern.

Anyway, we got 3 points last night so everyone is happy.  (As long as you were entertained :p)

Entertainment is unashamedly my primary concern. Especially in August, Sept, Oct when being higher up the league table wins you the sum of absolutely nothing anyway. There's a hell of a long way to go yet, and a transfer window, and we're not even in the relegation spots - let alone cut adrift.

I don't think I am totally alone in that view either. Recall when SC was appointed and the lack of favour he courted was in many quarters down to perceptions about how his teams play - we've got another Pulis, Notts Forest comments, long ball merchant etc - and that wasn't the dizzy heights of the Championship, that was when we were desperately scrambling to avoid relegation to League Two and in much worse shape than we are currently.

35 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Don't see how you can possibly read any backtrack into my post. Entertainment is my primary concern and nowhere in that post did I say it wasn't. What I did say is I believe Cotterill will continue to entertain AND keep us up.

So I am in the happy clappy, glass half full cup, and everything in my Bristol City world is good at the moment. I can recommend it.

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Don't see how you can possibly read any backtrack into my post. Entertainment is my primary concern and nowhere in that post did I say it wasn't. What I did say is I believe Cotterill will continue to entertain AND keep us up.

So I am in the happy clappy, glass half full cup, and everything in my Bristol City world is good at the moment. I can recommend it.

Mods I think NickJ has been hacked.

Archived