IGNORED

Jacki

The Exiled Robin

Hi all,

I've been asked to write a piece on the legend that is Dariusz 'Jacki' Dziekanowski.

Now i reckon I could do a half decent job from memory, but hoped those with a good memory on here might help me out with some of his stats, some of the off the field stories (pls give me some indication of how certain you are - I may still print if not but put it firmly under the 'allegedly' bracket!!) and his best and worst moments in a City shirt.

Ready, go!

Jacki had all skill and ability imaginable. Unfortunately he was decidedly lazy and in no way a team player. We saw glimpses of what talent he had and because of those glimpses he's become a legend in eyes of some City fans but not in my eyes.

As Russell Osman said after he'd left Jacki on the bench "a few tricks and a 30 yard shot aren't enough". How right he was. 

If you want to write about a true City legend then write about Gerry Gow.

Never thought I'd agree with a Robbored post but pretty much summed him up. Legend might be pushing it, but an incredible footballer when on song. Isn't that why we pay to watch the beautiful game? OP, there's a few highlights of him on you tube. Leicester in the cup sticks in the mind. 

I'll start it off.

The upside is the Cup tie at Leicester on a frozen pitch when Jacki ran the show.

The downside is a soaking wet day at Newcastle United when Jacki and Andy Cole spent the entire ninety minutes avoiding the ball as if it carried the plague.

I've seen hundreds of lesser footballers have great games, mediocre games and downright stinkers but only those two managed to plumb those depths.

He was the type of player that could do nothing all game but one piece of brilliance would win you the game

There was a series on ITV4 recently called The football mavericks.

I would say that in my time in watching City he is the only player that could fall in the category of a Maverick.

Technically for me the most gifted footballer I have witnessed at Ashton gate in my time being a red. A maverick for sure he did it his way and unfortunately he was too big for plonker Osman who stepped up as manager and as a player knew all about Jacki and his off field antics so wouldn't have it when boss. A player who I would really look forward to watching as he always did something in a game that would make me say it was worth the admission  price and my eyes never left him. I have seen so many bad useless players don the red shirt over the years and yes he was frustrating a little like Mr Freeman who couldn't wouldn't lace his boots. Name a player who you look forward to watching ......Aggard .....Wilbs........Kodja yes!!

9 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

He was the type of player that could do nothing all game but one piece of brilliance would win you the game

Jacki scored 7 goals in his City career, yep 7 goals.......

He did perform at Liecester once in the cup but that's the only game I remember him actually doing anything worthwhile.

He was a lazy bugger - end of.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Jacki had all skill and ability imaginable. Unfortunately he was decidedly lazy and in no way a team player. We saw glimpses of what talent he had and because of those glimpses he's become a legend in eyes of some City fans but not in my eyes.

As Russell Osman said after he'd left Jacki on the bench "a few tricks and a 30 yard shot aren't enough". How right he was. 

If you want to write about a true City legend then write about Gerry Gow.

Don't you like anyone but then you need to sit an watch the game for ninety mins not forty five

Bemused as to why anyone would want to read yet another article about a player who played less than 50 games for us twenty years ago now and in truth contributed very little.

Scored 2 against Pompey, 2 against Wolves and had a good game in the cup at Leicester (and scored), that effectively was his entire City career. Osman was hugely unpopular in BS3 but in his judgement of Dziekanowski he was spot on.

Lazy, a total passenger away from home and totally unprepared to do any work when he didn't have the ball.

We sold Bob Taylor to buy him, who went on to score over 100 goals for West Brom. 

Famously described by Terry Butcher as having a heart the size of a pea..

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I'll start it off.

The upside is the Cup tie at Leicester on a frozen pitch when Jacki ran the show.

The downside is a soaking wet day at Newcastle United when Jacki and Andy Cole spent the entire ninety minutes avoiding the ball as if it carried the plague.

I've seen hundreds of lesser footballers have great games, mediocre games and downright stinkers but only those two managed to plumb those depths.

You should have been at Twerton when we lost 4-0, he did absolutely nothing for 90 minutes.

Jacki had more talent in his little toe than most players we had combined. Sure he was a lazy bugger sure he didn't score enough sure he went missing a lot. But it is testament to his talent people still talk about him... Including miserable buggers here... I bet those people would not talk the same way by let's say Paul wimbleton.  And that says it all for me. We still talk about him love him or loathe him

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jet has far more ability than Jackie ever had but he's not considered a "Legend"

What drivel.  Jacki was ten times the player JET is even if he was incredibly lazy.  

When Jacki was on form he was better than anyone we have had for the last 25 years.  I reiterate, when he was on form.  It's a shame that didn't happen as often as it should.  

But as a 12 year old at the time the guy was magical.

Fantastic entertainer - but a complete luxury.

He wasn't from another country, he was from another planet! :)  .... although the stats are less than impressive.  Scored nowhere near as many goals as faded, rose-tinted specs would have you remember.

Oh how I long to be back in the crowd at Filbert Street.  The game was on then it was off and back on again due to the weather. What happened next is etched forever.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jet has far more ability than Jackie ever had but he's not considered a "Legend"

Not in a million years. I think jet was more consistent! That in itself says a lot. But jacki's touch was magical and his vision on another planet to Jet.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wasn't Jackis biggest fan as an overall package but JET having more ABILITY

OMG 

ROFLMAO

One of the funniest posts ever !!!!!!

62 International Caps

20 goals

Let's not forget that was when Poland were shit.... So that makes that record really jump out as something to be proud of.

I Remember jacki filing out of his car on match day pissed as a fart.  You could smell vomit emanating from his car... I think he had alcohol issues and certainly was a bit of a playboy. I doubt we even saw 50% of his true ability when he was with us.  But still magical on his day. By far the most naturally talented player I have ever seen play for us.

5 minutes ago, TRL said:

Let's not forget that was when Poland were shit.... So that makes that record really jump out as something to be proud of.

I Remember jacki filing out of his car on match day pissed as a fart.  You could smell vomit emanating from his car... I think he had alcohol issues and certainly was a bit of a playboy. I doubt we even saw 50% of his true ability when he was with us.  But still magical on his day. By far the most naturally talented player I have ever seen play for us.

The whole club culture back then was one of drinking....Ray Atteveld was a customer of mine at the time....some of the stories would shock you as to how we actually achieved anything as a professional club.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Jacki scored 7 goals in his City career, yep 7 goals.......

He did perform at Liecester once in the cup but that's the only game I remember him actually doing anything worthwhile.

He was a lazy bugger - end of.

Cardiff home in the Littlewoods cup. We were one down from the first leg (Back then the ties were two legged home and away) and Jaki and Andy Cole were unbeliveable that night in which i think we won 6-1. Great night.

11 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

There was a series on ITV4 recently called The football mavericks.

I would say that in my time in watching City he is the only player that could fall in the category of a Maverick.

JET ?

Archived