IGNORED

Jacki

The Exiled Robin

2 hours ago, spudski said:

The whole club culture back then was one of drinking....Ray Atteveld was a customer of mine at the time....some of the stories would shock you as to how we actually achieved anything as a professional club.

Oh I know. My mate was reserve team captain back then. Told me how osman push a little money to one of the yts Gus to nibble atteveld as he knew he had a temper. Gave osman the ammo needed to get atteveld off the payroll.  The club has had. A Booze culture for years. Back in the 70s often the players were up on the airport road getting smashed before drink driving to AG to play! I think we have only lost this tag in the the past 5 or 6 years

10 minutes ago, TRL said:

Oh I know. My mate was reserve team captain back then. Told me how osman push a little money to one of the yts Gus to nibble atteveld as he knew he had a temper. Gave osman the ammo needed to get atteveld off the payroll.  The club has had. A Booze culture for years. Back in the 70s often the players were up on the airport road getting smashed before drink driving to AG to play! I think we have only lost this tag in the the past 5 or 6 years

Haha...glad you said that fella...heard the same story whilst out during a round of golf at the Players Club....surprising what they'll say.

I remember getting absolutely trashed with Lee Peacock in the old players bar under the Williams....was almost encouraged.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Haha...glad you said that fella...heard the same story whilst out during a round of golf at the Players Club....surprising what they'll say.

I remember getting absolutely trashed with Lee Peacock in the old players bar under the Williams....was almost encouraged.

:laugh: peacock was funny. "Alright squire" "fancy a pint"  utter pisshead. Remember Danny Coles blanking everyone but always tried pulling old women. Bit of the Wayne Romney's about him ;)

Couple of little Jacki tales which sum Jacki up for me 

Had some involvement at AG throw the late 80s / early mid 90s and one day was in the inner sanctum looking for someone when I looked in the gym (in the old Williams) and stood in awe watching Jacki volleying a ball against the gym wall from 10'feet or so without letting the ball touch the floor - 30 / 40 at a time using both feet - incredible to watch - anyone who thinks they have a bit of skill have a try !! ( He wasn't showing off - he was on his own and unaware anyone was watching)

Cant remember if Smith or Osman was manager when Jacki was left out of a pre Season first team squad and Jacki was left with the stiffs n youngsters who were playing a pre season friendly at Luton. a good friend of mine who was on the coaching staff was left in charge of the group including Jacki.

The coach saw this as an opportunity to impress and prepared thoroughly for the game and spent some time demonstrating the team shape and tactics on a wipe board. the coach centred everything , unsurprisingly around Jacki and began to explain to Jacki where he wanted him when the ball was there, where he was wanting him to make his runs etc marking runs on the wipe board 

After a few seconds of this Jacki got up grabbed the marker pen from said coach and said ' No (Coachs name) Jacki not here, here , here (crossing out all the 'runs' and movement) , Jacki here ' (As he drew a smallish circle around the penalty spot / penalty box D'   And promptly sat back down !!!

And yes he was a complete p**head and 'rumour' has it that he became friendly with at least one players wife

13 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Bemused as to why anyone would want to read yet another article about a player who played less than 50 games for us twenty years ago now and in truth contributed very little.

Scored 2 against Pompey, 2 against Wolves and had a good game in the cup at Leicester (and scored), that effectively was his entire City career. Osman was hugely unpopular in BS3 but in his judgement of Dziekanowski he was spot on.

Lazy, a total passenger away from home and totally unprepared to do any work when he didn't have the ball.

We sold Bob Taylor to buy him, who went on to score over 100 goals for West Brom. 

Famously described by Terry Butcher as having a heart the size of a pea..

Spot on , sadly , Graham,

Remember watching one home game where Andy Cole and Jacki spent virtually the whole game with their hands on their hips waiting for someone to win the ball and give it to them

Those two had the Ability to rip the then Division One to pieces rather than struggle along as we did

Neither had the sufficient attitude at that time in their careers

Remember that Wolves game mind and Jacki ripped them to shreds if my memory is right !

Thank god for players like Jacki, Trundle and JET. Football is about memories, who remembers the hard working team from the 80's who finished mid table.

Le Tissier (slightly different class to those above, granted) when asked, why he didn't track back and tackle, 'well would you expect your centre half to beat 5 people and stick it in the top corner?

6 minutes ago, Linkedarm wall said:

Thank god for players like Jacki, Trundle and JET. Football is about memories, who remembers the hard working team from the 80's who finished mid table.

Le Tissier (slightly different class to those above, granted) when asked, why he didn't track back and tackle, 'well would you expect your centre half to beat 5 people and stick it in the top corner?

We would answer " Yes " .

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Jet has far more ability than Jackie ever had but he's not considered a "Legend"

But he might be in 20 years. Kids of today will remember the 30 yard screamers, the slow motion penalties and not to mention the goal against the gas. Add to that the fact he was part of the most successful city squad many will have ever seen.

Many legends tend to have an element of nostalgia around them. Not every city fan can remember Jacki, super bob,  Gow etc who are so well spoken about and it is these generations that will decide if jet will eventually fit in their category. 

2 hours ago, TRL said:

:laugh: peacock was funny. "Alright squire" "fancy a pint"  utter pisshead. Remember Danny Coles blanking everyone but always tried pulling old women. Bit of the Wayne Romney's about him ;)

haha....aint that right. By all accounts Coles is an Agent now.

16 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

But he might be in 20 years. Kids of today will remember the 30 yard screamers, the slow motion penalties and not to mention the goal against the gas. Add to that the fact he was part of the most successful city squad many will have ever seen.

Many legends tend to have an element of nostalgia around them. Not every city fan can remember Jacki, super bob,  Gow etc who are so well spoken about and it is these generations that will decide if jet will eventually fit in their category. 

A very fair point. I reckon at least 80% here would have to take it on authority that John Atyeo really was that good.

He was, by the way...

7 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

A very fair point. I reckon at least 80% here would have to take it on authority that John Atyeo really was that good.

He was, by the way...

The reason I didn't include big John in my list is because he is up there on his own and always will be! Plus I'd of looked a right mug if there had been even a hint of a suggestion in my post that JET would ever be close.

Atyeo is more than a legend he is a massive part of our clubs history.  When you learn about city you learn about John.

And no I can't say that I am old enough to ever have had the pleasure to see him play... So I guess I am taking your word for it!

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

Jacki had all skill and ability imaginable. Unfortunately he was decidedly lazy and in no way a team player. We saw glimpses of what talent he had and because of those glimpses he's become a legend in eyes of some City fans but not in my eyes.

As Russell Osman said after he'd left Jacki on the bench "a few tricks and a 30 yard shot aren't enough". How right he was. 

If you want to write about a true City legend then write about Gerry Gow.

Russell Osman - do you remember how dire the football was under that bloke? His team was crying out for 'a few tricks and a 30 yard shot'. Osman's reign was more dull that SODs, and that says something

As others have said, I've more memories of Jacki than 95% of the players who have followed him

You have to look at the standard of the leagues some of these players played in for city, Jaki vs Gow then Gow no contest as he was a player who helped us to promotion to the top flight and played there and a player who went on to play in a FA cup final. Now was Jaki that good? Or a decent player in the lower leagues of dross?..,

Just now, cider head said:

You have to look at the standard of the leagues some of these players played in for city, Jaki vs Gow then Gow no contest as he was a player who helped us to promotion to the top flight and played there and a player who went on to play in a FA cup final. Now was Jaki that good? Or a decent player in the lower leagues of dross?..,

Look at his international record. 62 appearances and 20 goals should be a clue...

2 hours ago, Superjack said:

You do talk some rubbish...

I've never seen any City player go past a defender like JET did. He has amazing feet and could score goals, some very spectacular.

Problem, like Jacki is that JET just doesn't show it often enough,

But imv Jet is a far better footballer than Jacki ever was. 

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I've never seen any City player go past a defender like JET did. He has amazing feet and could score goals, some very spectacular.

Problem, like Jacki is that JET just doesn't show it often enough,

But imv Jet is a far better footballer than Jacki ever was. 

63 internationals and 20 goals seems a decent record to me :noexp:

1 hour ago, shelts said:

You have club legends, Atyeo Carey Murray. Cult heroes Jacki , Trundle and Jet. Plonkers Baz Savage, Wayne Allison and Junior Bent!!

Thought the Chief was always a handful and improved as he developed - never a 'great' but had a good career and always 100%

Junior Bent was very under valued for me - People talk about Jacki in that Leicester game but Junior was at good that chilly afternoon . he also tore Liverpool a new one in those 94 FA Cup ties - frightened them to death

Like, seemingly, all very quick players it was always the final product that was hit and miss

I was told by a current premier manager that when you played against Junior it was difficult because he would force opposition defenders to drop an extra 15-20 yards because of his pace and that opened up the pitch allowing others to play.

Archived