IGNORED

Kermorgant , coming to us in January ?

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:
13 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Glad someone else dug this out, saved me the bother. I seriously hope we're not in for him. Think there must be loads of better options.

Shades of Wilbraham , trust in Cotts etc ...

Good enough to bang in 17 goals for the title winners last year but not good enough for us, of course. 

34 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

I think he would be a usual player to have, an alternative to Wilbs. But if he comes I expect Agard to depart.

If he came, I don't think Agard would depart, as we need 4 strikers, who can challenge for a first team place. Cox will probably go after his loan, and Burns is low in the pecking order. 

9 hours ago, RedSA said:

Good enough to bang in 17 goals for the title winners last year but not good enough for us, of course. 

I get that line of argument and the 'in Cotts we trust' but he is getting on a bit and we are not a team in League 1 looking for an experienced player, we're a championship team looking to improve the squad and for me, he wouldn't do that.

The 17 goals did include 6 penalties (he also missed 2).   Penalties can really distort the stats and I'd prefer it if they were recorded separately as you'd expect all professional players including goalkeepers to slot them away. I'm not sure how many penalties we got last year but maybe Aden Flint would have tallied 20 for the season if he had taken them!

1 hour ago, bcfcnick said:

The 17 goals did include 6 penalties (he also missed 2).   Penalties can really distort the stats and I'd prefer it if they were recorded separately as you'd expect all professional players including goalkeepers to slot them away. I'm not sure how many penalties we got last year but maybe Aden Flint would have tallied 20 for the season if he had taken them!

Good point. No chance of him scoring any penalties here, we never bloody get any in this league! 

Yes, agree somewhat.  I think a penalty should only count in the player's tally of goals if they earn and score it.  i.e. they are good enough to force the opposition into a foul through skill, pace etc.  Not just a simple tap-in from 12-yards.  Maybe only the person fouled should be allowed to take it.  That would make some sense.

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Yes, agree somewhat.  I think a penalty should only count in the player's tally of goals if they earn and score it.  i.e. they are good enough to force the opposition into a foul through skill, pace etc.  Not just a simple tap-in from 12-yards.  Maybe only the person fouled should be allowed to take it.  That would make some sense.

But would you then say anyone who scores in a goalmouth scramble shouldn't count, because they didn't cross the ball in?

True, and Jet would of been our top scorer 2 seasons ago and not Baldock if he was taking the penalties

It's a fair point. But I'm still sure he would add to the squad as a championship title winning striker who is a decent player.

The idea that are better options around I'm not entirely convinced by. Unless we're looking at dropping a big wedge a la Gray and Gayle. 

12 hours ago, citywest30 said:

I get that line of argument and the 'in Cotts we trust' but he is getting on a bit and we are not a team in League 1 looking for an experienced player, we're a championship team looking to improve the squad and for me, he wouldn't do that.

He still would've got double figures; we've only got one striker who could do that in the squad at the moment. And he's never been blessed with a huge amount of pace. I think for 12 months or so he'd be fine, but then he's getting minutes in the Premier League at the moment so we probably won't have to worry either way. 

2 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

Would we be happy with a return of 11 goals from an attacking link man in the Championship ? 

I think that's not too bad a return .

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

It does n't make too much sense if the fouled player has been injured in the tackle that forced the penalty.

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Were Bournemouth not in trouble for FFP? Yet they have now spent £17m on two strikers plus a loan signing from Roma with a view to a £16m permanent deal in the summer?

I'm guessing the trouble starts when they are relegated and under the remit of the Football League again. At which time a cosy arrangement for a light slap is agreed. 

Archived