IGNORED

David Lloyd

Kid in the Riot

50 minutes ago, 29AR said:

True, and although this will be horrific to some I would very strongly prefer what others may describe as a 'suit' in that role. The role doesn't require a fan at all in my opinion, it requires someone with excellent communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills and an empathiser who can represent the fans. Often I believe the best representatives are those who are somewhat detached.

I'd prefer the FLO to be someone who has a history of carrying out client service reviews and is somewhat bullish in what the role entails, what they need to be allowed to do to carry out their role and to do so in a suitably professional capacity such that if there were blocks put in place they'd bang in a letter of resignation in due time.

That would not sit alongside the nature of the role.

On 18 November 2015 12:34:01, RedM said:

I would agree with most of what has already been said. Thank you for your time DaveL and hope you will continue as match day host/ courting the corporates as those are your strengths.

Now for the post, if there is one vacant: 

I think they have to be truly neutral as opposed to being a BS employee.

They will have to liase by all means;  face to face, through all social media and this forum. They will need to be able to listen to people of all ages and backgrounds, a fan is a fan whether they are sat in the Heinkein Lounge or propping up the 3 Lions bar. 

They will have to be able to attend meetings, if invited,  held by the ST, FAN or any other group (do senior reds still exist?). 

They will have to liase with BS and other groups with the club, eg the Community Trust etc. 

They will need to sit in various parts of the ground, use the concourse/ground facilities, (food, toilets) phone up for tickets. Travel on CATS.  Be a normal fan and  dress like one.

And most of all be able to take the rough with the smooth. It's lovely to hand out caps, cheques, signed shirts and deal with happy people, of course it is. But just as important are the problems;  the bubble match restrictions, ticket prices, restricted views, issues with flags, complaints about swearing in family areas etc.

I really hope the right person gets the post, it could be such a good thing if done properly.

I agree with what you're saying, you make some seriously valid points and as someone said you and a few others on here would fill the role exceptionally, given chance (as if).

One thing; what does a normal fan look like, I and many others would not be seen dead with any Bristol City connected attire, yet many find it obligatory!?!?

The reason I ask is simple, the candidate for the said position needs to understand this, we all dress differently yet do not necessarily fall into definitive supporter genres. 

I'd also be interested by how the new SLO responds to questions of exiled supporters as the previous person seemed to have an automated copy and paste feel to every answer, despite the question.

PS my vote goes to Crammy, ex player, top bloke and goes home and away, someone who's a genuine supporter, that's what we need.

On 18 November 2015 14:54:54, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, let's have it right: you were disrespectful to a fellow City supporter that was dying.

I'd assumed your hiatus from this forum was due to a ban, not running away scared.

Please tell me this is not true, only someone with a death wish for themselves would post such vulgarity to someone so loved and respected. 

@YorkshireSection I think my 'normal fan' comment was somehow overly done in the flow of my need to get what I felt down on here. I certainly don't mean anyone kitted out with everything from the City Megastore or whatever it's called now. I was meaning just an everyday person you would sit next to at the match, pass in the conourse. Not someone who as soon as they put on a BCFC branded tie feels like it's a noose around the neck being tugged in all directions.

And no, I'm not up for the job. Not because I am scared of a few internet comments, more the fact that I don't think I'd be any good and I think there are much better and more able people than me. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

@YorkshireSection I think my 'normal fan' comment was somehow overly done in the flow of my need to get what I felt down on here. I certainly don't mean anyone kitted out with everything from the City Megastore or whatever it's called now. I was meaning just an everyday person you would sit next to at the match, pass in the conourse. Not someone who as soon as they put on a BCFC branded tie feels like it's a noose around the neck being tugged in all directions.

And no, I'm not up for the job. Not because I am scared of a few internet comments, more the fact that I don't think I'd be any good and I think there are much better and more able people than me. 

i take it that's a no to free beer at half time then 

38 minutes ago, BigTone said:

i take it that's a no to free beer at half time then 

No, but the newbie should be in and around public places across the city interacting with fan groups, a round or two wouldn't break the bank and would show humility rather than the "suited and booted, corporate bod" I have pictured in my my mind already.........and yes his tie will say Bristol Sport on it rather than Bristol City.

ps I know I'm stereotyping, but it's for me at least the image that BS conjures up, although I'm neither pro/pro neg on the whole BS brand thingy.

i don't know who's in charge at the commercial/supporters side of things but the poor/shithole of a town of Burnley has done a fantastic job, they've got some good people behind the scenes at that club, they're even creeping into W Yorks with their efforts, not unusual to see claret and blue in Leeds, jeez!

DaveL certainly splits opinion on here.  Many say he has provided excellent service whilst others say he never got back to them or was rude.

I suspect he was overworked, did what he did well, but let some things fall down the cracks.  

Being matchday announcer and FLO was inexcusable.  The one time when a FLO should be available was just before, during and just after a match.  The fact that Dave had other priorities at these critical times says a lot.

This wasn't necessarily Dave's problem to solve.  Why did no one at the club sort out this obvious flaw?  Perhaps because it's difficult to tell a mate when they aren't doing a good job...

Which brings me to my last point: how many people were interviewed for Dave's job?  Where was it advertised?

No doubt, Jon Lansdown is flicking through his filofax for the next FLO.  If that happens, we will know that the club has not moved anywhere in the last 10 years.

11 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I agree with what you're saying, you make some seriously valid points and as someone said you and a few others on here would fill the role exceptionally, given chance (as if).

One thing; what does a normal fan look like, I and many others would not be seen dead with any Bristol City connected attire, yet many find it obligatory!?!?

The reason I ask is simple, the candidate for the said position needs to understand this, we all dress differently yet do not necessarily fall into definitive supporter genres. 

I'd also be interested by how the new SLO responds to questions of exiled supporters as the previous person seemed to have an automated copy and paste feel to every answer, despite the question.

PS my vote goes to Crammy, ex player, top bloke and goes home and away, someone who's a genuine supporter, that's what we need.

Detail from the Liaison hand book.

the SLO should 

be chosen from among the supporters 
whenever possible. The SLO must be 
present among the fans. The SLO must 
know them and be known and accepted by 
them. Only then can they assess the mood 
among supporters. Only then can they 
understand the problems fans may face and 
their needs and wants. It is a difficult job that 
demands a lot of resilience and hard work. 
We therefore recommend the appointment 
of a genuine supporter.

Virtual fans

Monitoring the mood of fans on internet 
message boards and engaging in dialogue 
with them where appropriate is another 
important aspect of the SLO’s job. 
Increasingly, SLOs are also making use of 
social media tools such as Facebook and 
Twitter as part of their communications 
work

• Admin
12 hours ago, Chivs said:

Which brings me to my last point: how many people were interviewed for Dave's job?  Where was it advertised?

No doubt, Jon Lansdown is flicking through his filofax for the next FLO.  If that happens, we will know that the club has not moved anywhere in the last 10 years.

A classic example being Craig Richardson who recently went from groundsman to Stadium Operations Manager !

Never saw that role advertised . . . 

• Admin
2 hours ago, WTMS said:

Detail from the Liaison hand book.

Virtual fans

Monitoring the mood of fans on internet message boards and engaging in dialogue with them where appropriate is another important aspect of the SLO’s job. 
Increasingly, SLOs are also making use of social media tools such as Facebook and Twitter as part of their communications work

That speaks for itself then !

1 hour ago, phantom said:
1 hour ago, phantom said:

A classic example being Craig Richardson who recently went from groundsman to Stadium Operations Manager !

Talking of groundsmen follow link to page 20.    http://read.uberflip.com/i/369832-september-2014/4

Archived