IGNORED

The Official Rotherham United v Bristol City match Day Thread

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's actually the first defeat in 4 games.

Bad day, but Cotterill retains the support of the vast majority of fans.

It's not Cotterill fault. It's the club as a whole.

Managers come and go but the shambles behind the scenes continues. Last season was seemingly an anomaly because we did the exact opposite of that this year. No surprise we're getting the exact opposite type of results on the pitch!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

A freak result? Maybe. At this point the freak results are our positive ones. Boro and Hull results were quite long odds. What is it about us and big score lines though? 15 goals scored against us by 4 teams. Every 4 or so games we have one like this. Why? Progress then a setback. Progress then a setback. Why? It's baffling to me and hard to keep the faith when we get embarrassed every third or fourth game. This talk of unbeaten in 3 when its 3 draws. Or unbeaten in 4 of 6 with 1 win 3 draws and 2 embarrassments just isn't cutting it anymore. They aren't fooling me. We play pretty football at times but never for a full 90 and never in either end third of the pitch. 

But not that long ago you were posting about us having enough quality with last season's players (plus Kodjia) to finish half way..

This league is tough, we are usually competing (though admittedly not today) with teams who have better players on far more money and with much greater budgets.

I also don't believe for a minute Cotterill expected us to make just two permanent signings this summer.

Face the facts we are a small fish and are in a real fight to stay up and that nonsense from Freeman midweek (perhaps he should concentrate on making a greater contribution to games once in a while?) is best ignored.

That having said we aren't rock bottom, either and so need to stay in the game until the window opens and we can evaluate what we can get and afford.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Managers come and go but the shambles behind the scenes continues. Last season was seemingly an anomaly because we did the exact opposite of that this year. No surprise we're getting the exact opposite type of results on the pitch!

So why is Cotterill banging on about mid-table or better. Who's believing it? 

Just now, BCFC Jordan said:

Agree with this. I like Cotterhill and think he does a good job. The club failed in the summer. Cotterhill can keep us up but it'll be close and the club will have similar problems next summer recruiting unless we open up the check book a bit more often. 

reality creeping in, we are not a great side and a number of players are struggling at this level. We are well organised and committed so we will have good days, but will also have some bad days, and some very bad ones! We just have to hope that we can bring in a few solid players in January, and that in May, there are 3 teams worse than us. As for changing the manager, can't see that will achieve a great deal, as it is a poor squad,

but who knows?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Now your talking sense Jordan and you are 100% correct and we need to know straight from the horses mouths i.e.; SC and SL exactly what went wrong with recruitment pre season and we need total honest and not the wild speculation and conspiracy theories from the usual shit stirrers.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Now your talking sense Jordan and you are 100% correct and we need to know straight from the horses mouths i.e.; SC and SL exactly what went wrong with recruitment pre season and we need total honest and not the wild speculation and conspiracy theories from the usual shit stirrers.

Good luck with that. 

We cannot attract Championship players because we will only pay League One wages  JET wanted to stay but we wouldnt match his wage demands . Whats the point of offering £9m for players we know they will go elsewhere on wages 3 times more than we can offer. This needs to change ASAP

We cant blame Cotts you cab see his frustration he know the players he wants/needs but they will never come unless we relax the wage bill

Edited by westonred
5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

So why is Cotterill banging on about mid-table or better. Who's believing it? 

Remember his interview in pre-season where he was talking all positive but didn't sound very passionate compared to his usual self? I think he was just trying to convince himself and the players to try and rekindle the positivity around the club but everyone, including Cotterill, knew the reality we faced after the utter shambles of the summer transfer window.

We still get the odd win and play well, but the momentum has completely evaporated, and I do truly think everything is down to that window. If we'd have kept the likes of Cunningham, JET, Elliott, we'd be comfortably mid-table in my opinion. If we'd actually strengthened (Kodjia forbid such a thought), we'd have had a good chance of top half - a lot of the media was very positive about us in pre-season so that's not just the bias of a City fan. One permanent transfer is inexcuasable. I still rate the small squad we have but they're fighting a losing battle and the confidence has completely gone.

Edited by BCFC Jordan
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, westonred said:

We cannot attract Championship players because we will only pay League One wages  JET wanted to stay but we wouldnt match his wage demands . Whats the point of offering £9m for players we know they will go elsewhere on wages 3 times more than we can offer. This needs to change ASAP

We can't have it all ways reference wages, 3 years ago it was "this madness cannot go on" now it's "not good enough", as for JET he wasn't worth his wage demands, he is struggling to cut it in far better squad than ours.

33 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

Yes you are entitled to an opinion, of course you are but you certainly did not make it clear it was an opinion.

you wrote it as a statrment of fact and i am entitled to adopt the default position on behalf of the player, and that is to tell you that your views are not accurate, deflamatory to the player and without any foundation, and to indeed challenge you to provide the evidence to back up your claim.

if you would like to share evidence privately I would be happy to reinforce my statement above and to share with you the basis for my defence.

now lets get back to the match shall we and facts that really matter.

Not sure why so precious about it after all there is almost universal agreement JET was unfit with a lethargic style and only looked interested when the ball was at his feet, he's hardly likely to be any different off the pitch, just part of his make up. I think also his style meant everything slowed up when the ball came to him whereas the manger likes the ball being zipped around the pitch.

As I said great talent but a maverick in the Bowles Worthington mould if you are old enough to remember them.

5 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I've posted on here a few times that one of those Q&A sessions are needed, just to clear the air. Otherwise there will be a continual sense of frustration, especially from moaners like me. Those Q&A sessions usually helped clear a few things up - even just admitting they got it wrong and will do all they can in January to rectify it would be appreciated. It may seem obvious but saying it publicly would help, instead of the eerie silence we'd have from behind the scenes since the end of last season.

A few of the supposed ITK's were claiming there was a fallout behind the scenes in the summer, and I remember someone saying they wouldn't be surprised if SC goes. The air needs to be cleared, in my opinion.

Edited by BCFC Jordan
7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agreed but I also expected a defeat last week.

Two defeats in eight or (nine?) before today suggests to me he isn't in immediate danger but in a league where pretty much everyone can beat everyone, we need to stay in contention until January, which despite the pessimists on here, will be when our fate is decided on the basis on what business we do, I feel.

If our fate is to be decided on the basis of our skill in the transfer market then are fate is sealed.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

But not that long ago you were posting about us having enough quality with last season's players (plus Kodjia) to finish half way..

This league is tough, we are usually competing (though admittedly not today) with teams who have better players on far more money and with much greater budgets.

I also don't believe for a minute Cotterill expected us to make just two permanent signings this summer.

Face the facts we are a small fish and are in a real fight to stay up and that nonsense from Freeman midweek (perhaps he should concentrate on making a greater contribution to games once in a while?) is best ignored.

That having said we aren't rock bottom, either and so need to stay in the game until the window opens and we can evaluate what we can get and afford.

I did believe that. Now I think SC is just a good coach. Think he sets us up right most of the time. Today maybe he thought we had the quality to beat Rotherham by going at them. We are higher in the table, he probably should. Talent wise we have to be close to bottom. 

It may not come across like this but I'm ok with being small fish. Bidding 6-9m on players isn't what a small fish does. The club said we don't want to be a poor side then didn't get the job done. When they failed, the didn't take action. It went from bidding on players, to our squad from last year is good enough to compete, to we need 15 or so games to settle, and now we are at 18 games and getting throttled by Rotherham. 

My optimism is gone. We are a poor side and will do well to stay up. I want you faithful to say you told me so on game 46 and we are sitting 10th or something but I simply can't expect that from this team now. Before today I thought we could get 7 from our next 9 points. Now I think we'll do well to get 2. 

Ar least this time next week I could be sitting smug and satisfied we got a point against Blackburn. Whereas I would've been expecting 3 and disappointed. I want to stay up but feel like we will only because other teams could be poorer. I expect more of the same. A point here, an away win there but for the most part a struggle to get anything most weeks. Only positive I have is that we will play most of the teams around us at home later in the season. 

At the end of the of the day won 3 drew 7 lost 8 is not good enough,I don't know what the answers are but I am concerned that cotts doesn't know either,we have been outplayed for a few of the draws don't think anyone can disagree with that,I knew it wasn't going to be easy this season but feel that getting outplayed most weeks I feel cotts needs to come out and say that was not good enough and the players have had a kick up the ass,fed up of him saying we didn't shouldn't have lost

16 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

God knows why, he doesn't deserve it based on this seasons shite!!

Cotterill's record:

Year One - took us from bottom to comfortable safety.

Year Two - won the league with a record (for us) points total.

Year Three so far - not in the relegation zone which most would have taken before the season started.

That's fact and IMO the football this season is far from shite.

Your comment is so far from reality.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, NickJ said:

Cotterill's record:

Year Three so far - not in the relegation zone which most would have taken before the season started.

Its just such a shame that our fans are happy with shit and underachievement, its one of the biggest reasons that we'll always be a lower league club, I've followed this club passionately for 25 years but i'm seriously losing the love!!

• Like 1

Cotterill's record:

I think Cotterhill is great but why does his past success matter? All the hard work he's done the last 18 months before August has almost been entirely erased. Yes it's still early and it can turn around but he shouldn't safe from criticism because of last year. I don't think sacking him is the solution but he's certainly earned a raised eyebrow or two. 

23 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's actually the first defeat in 4 games.

Bad day, but Cotterill retains the support of the vast majority of fans.

First defeat in 4 games, but only 4 points from 4 games. Four points obtained from matches against Wolves and Hull is good, but zero from Bolton and Rotherham is poor. There has been a lack of consistency all season caused, IMO, by a squad that is too small and lacking in quality in key areas. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think Cotterhill is great but why does his past success matter? All the hard work he's done the last 18 months before August has almost been entirely erased. Yes it's still early and it can turn around but he shouldn't safe from criticism because of last year. I don't think sacking him is the solution but he's certainly earned a raised eyebrow or two. 

bit harsh ..

1 minute ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Its just such a shame that our fans are happy with shit and underachievement, its one of the biggest reasons that we'll always be a lower league club, I've followed this club passionately for 25 years but i'm seriously losing the love!!

I really don't understand your view. Mine is that despite results the overall entertainment has been fantastic this season and in most games City have played a big part in that with some great football.

Greater realism and sense of perspective required surely.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

First defeat in 4 games, but only 4 points from 4 games. Four points obtained from matches against Wolves and Hull is good, but zero from Bolton and Rotherham is poor. There has been a lack of consistency all season caused, IMO, by a squad that is too small and lacking in quality in key areas. 

Zero from Bolton? 

Cotterill's record:

To be honest I'm just glad he's been in the job for that long after the previous managerial instability. 

When put into perspective we have to remember his long-term progression as you've clearly pointed out. 

Annoyed by the result but I take solace in the fact that we're not in the relegation zone & I'll probably get to go to Villa Park next season to see City