IGNORED

Times up Cotts..

KeepUpLino

1 minute ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Did I not mention last season and good signings? think I did.

Go read my reply again.

So why mention El-Abd then if you're not trying to say that his transfer record isn't good enough? It shouldn't even have been mentioned as it's clear what you're insinuating. 

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And a lot of the SC 'won't have a bad word said clan' are not so obvious - and keep,trotting out we won two trophies last year as the reason he MUST be kept 

Another week , same reason given 

It does get so bloody boring!!

'we can't sack SC, he deserves at least 10 years as manager after last seasons magic'!!!'

bore off!!

I have been saying for a long time now that the manager must carry the can, and I am devastated to be proved right as so many of you were critical of my comments, and I hoped I would be proved wrong.

However the decision to part company must not now be delayed - 9am Monday morning should be sacking hour.

This is not to say, again as I have been saying for some time, that the owner and the Board should also shoulder some blame.

I believe the damage was done, again as I have said before, over the totally unacceptable way in which the manager was appointed in the first place

Everything about City is amateur.  Oh for a month of Harry Dolman and John Atyeo.

My preference is for the owner to sort the Board and the manager and to do so now

Failure to act will only lead us to believe he is happy with third division football and its lower costs

The way fans have been treated this season is nothing short of disgusting

I refuse to comment on the manager's after match comment except to say it was totally unacceptable

If things turn out as they should then happily that will be the last of such nonsense comments

How do I rate the manager? Fred Ford Mark 2.  He is dated in his approach and added to arrogance this is a toxic mix

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And a lot of the SC 'won't have a bad word said clan' are not so obvious - and keep,trotting out we won two trophies last year as the reason he MUST be kept 

Another week , same reason given 

I'm just being realistic here, as a club we've found our level and these lads are young and inexperienced at this level. It will take time!

Who would be your replacement? 

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Mate stop embarrassing yourself, you've been posting like a moaning teenager recently. We all want what's best for the club!

I would'nt say im embarrassing myself mate, I'm just passionate and my frustrations do sometimes boil over.. I'm wear my heart on my sleeve, what can I say!

I have remained a strong supporter of Cotterill primarily on the basis that at no point have we been consistently poor. Generally a bad result has been followed by a good one - most recently Wolves after Fulham. Even after Rotherham I felt that performance was the exception not the rule, having come off the back of a three game unbeaten run.

However today I feel I've reached a tipping point. We've been poor for two games in a row and scored only 4 goals in 8 games. It feels like the pattern of our season is now becoming entrenched, rather than something I previously felt we would turn around with relative ease.

Huddersfield is a huge game. If we were to lose it, I would be tempted to make a change of manager. But the other problem is I am yet to be convinced of any candidate out there who I would be confident would do a better job.

The other thing I would say is that to give Cotterill more time because we somehow "owe him" that after last season could be a suicidal attitude. He did not win us promotion out of the goodness of his heart, he was paid handsomely to do a job and did it well. It has no bearing on the here and now.

3 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

So why mention El-Abd then if you're not trying to say that his transfer record isn't good enough? It shouldn't even have been mentioned as it's clear what you're insinuating. 

El-Abd proved his worth at Brighton who ARE an established Championship side.

Has some to-do with Cotterill it seems and is binned unceremoniously but remains on the payroll, a poor signing. PLUS he was signed the season before last which has nothing to do with last season.

The point I am making is that only last season he has done well, dont forget Tyrone Barnett either... even if it was a loan but I guess loans dont count???

29 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Realism?! Oh come on... Here's some realism.

Of Cott's bad signings, there is Adam El-Abd, and Karleigh Osbourne. They were both in January, shortly after he joined, when we were desperate for a new centre back. We were in a mess and dare I say it they were a bit of a punt. Contrast that with his signings of Luke Freeman, Wade Elliott, Luke Ayling, Korey Smith, Kieron Agard and Jonathan Kodjia (all combined for less than £1.5m barring the final one), that's not just very good business, that's sensational business. If there's anything you can criticise Cotts for while at City it is not his transfer dealings.

As for this season being a calamity, he told the board who he wanted. Most of the players became obvious in the public domain. It is not his fault that the board ballsed up (particularly around their handling of the Harry Maguire transfer).

Sorry - ignore nebristol - didn't intend to quote you

trying to reply to Lew-T

I havnt looked at list of those available and it changes by the week

Tony Mowbray would do nicely tho I don't think he'd do the dirty on Coventry

dont think we'd remain in trouble with Clarke or Pearson though bioth have a down side

We will not progress much further under SC IMO - tho I hope he proves me wrong if he stays

if you are trying to be clever - I'll throw the q back to you as you seem to think SC can do no wrong jusdging by your posts week after week - 

What is your solution to the current predicament

3 wins this season , no sign of us ever turning 1 down into victory, lack of real character in the side, predictable side, predictable formation..... 

Your solution ?????

58 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

No....That is a ridiculous comparison, Jose is the best manager in the world and has proved himself all over the continent, he is already starting to turn things around at Chelsea!!

With a huge transfer budget. 

I've said this before.  Let's see him get the likes of Accrington Stanley up to the championship and beyond on a shoestring budget. 

Thats the acid test of a truly great manager. 

Sorry I don't think he is; as this half of the season proves at Chelsea. If anyone else was in charge they would have been out of a job by now.  

1 hour ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Pure delusion if you can't see that things are clearly not working out!!

What bugs me most is that some people are actually ok with us struggling and think it's our rightful place...

Ambition zero!!

It's not a case of ambition zero. We are operating in a division that has clearly been ruined by parachute money.

34 minutes ago, Danny P said:

I don't post much but it's heads out the sand time. It's no secret Cotts is one of the most unliked men in league football, the only reason we signed the players we did 2 years ago was that we were a big fish in a small pond. Now we're not it's clear he cannot attract players, we offer more money and still it's not enough. Robinson in the under 21s, has he dared to upset the apple cart? He needs to go, there's only so long you can dine out on winning the league which we all agree was a pinnacle in our lives supporting this club. We need a new direction and now is the time, wait much longer and we will consigned back to exactly the same position we were before we won the title, but this time with a 27k ghost town stadium we will struggle to fill. It's not about what are the other options anymore, the time is now for change as bad as it feels sacking our title winning manager. A new man needs a few games to assess the squad before hitting the window during which he must be backed

Hmm, they flipping well kept the secret from me. Never heard this mentioned. :dunno:

27 minutes ago, famouslastword said:

Listen, people slating cotts on here for not taking baker off are deluded.... At half time im sure cotts had a word with him and discussed the fact that he needs to watch himself second half. He's a professional football player and quite frankly you can't sub off every player whose on a yellow card.... So people need to stop being so naive.... We can all come on here and slate him for not subbing him but the only person we should be slating is baker for 3 silly fouls made in non threatening areas!! 

Another point that a lot of people keep bringing up is formations.... He came out early part of this season and stated that this formation was not his preferred for this division but because of the lack of personnel and new signings it was one we had to stick with as the players we had suited that formation. Now I'm all for changing it up in the game but again I think the lack of new signings in the summer has resulted in cotts not being able to change it up during a game. 

I for one am not saying cotts is perfect but you've got to put blame on the board who for whatever reason during the summer transfer window failed to get the players cotts had put forward. Now after a poor showing in the transfer window we as fans should have expected a below average season. 

The bloke came in stabilised the club, completely turned our football around from a dull almost soul destroying team under sod to a free flowing league topping team the following season. 

Now things start to go bad everyone is out to give him the chop. We should give him the respect he deserves and not hold him solely responsible for this season so far and we should also give him till January where the board should back him and bring in the players he asks! As let's face it the players he has bought in have more than done a good job for us. 

Good post.  All these experts who could "clearly see" that Baker should be taken off at half time!  I'd just like to ask: name one other occasion when a manager brought a centre half off at half time because he was on a yellow card?  Just one example...

2 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

It seems its been a bit hit and hope since the last day of last season... Shambolic!!

When we scored 8 (eight) against Walsall (who previously we beat at Wembley to pick up a trophy) just before picking up the League 1 trophy.  The first in our history for winning a league?  That last day of the season???  Dear god...the instant, I'm owed everything, idiots of today.  :grr:

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

It's not time to go. I'm sorry but Cotts outlined his transfer targets at the start of the season, and it's the club's fault that we don't have them. Cotts is now being forced to work with what he has, and as it stands, we are a promoted team (which means we are expected to struggle anyway) with barely any new signings. The club has failed him and that is why we are in this mess. Imagine where we would be if we had the likes of Harry Maguire, particularly after a proper pre-season.

Not to mention the fact that it's not his fault Baker was sent off today. If he had been taken off at HT the fans would have been moaning at Cotts for subbing one of our best defenders! It works both ways.

Finally, if we were to sack Cotts, who would you guys suggest we bring in? Realistically of course.

Sounds like SC is Teflon coated. 

If Cotts was sacked or walked why do people think this team as it stands would start putting a run together? I don't think Cotts has lost the players. We all realise and Cotts and the board do too that this team isn't good enough to compete higher up the table and that in order to get there we will need new and better players. At best, at the moment, we can just about compete most games. If someone else came in then the board would have to back a new manager with signings. If the board are going to back a new manager with signings then they may aswell back Cotts with new signings. But we have a massive issue with wages it seems so unless that changes we are going to have to take a punt on players from the best of league one or get lucky with loans from the prem and keep building year on year.

On another note, is it my imagination that we have gradually started creating less chances without Wilbs in the team? I was hoping when Agard came in we might take more chances as he would be there but I'm sure we are creating less.

20 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Cotterills career:

excellent in the lower divisions

come unstuck in the championship...consistently round the drop zone....Pompey and forest.

Or, 'BCFC history:

exce...' You get the picture. 

My last comment on this because I don't think the owner has either the nous or the bottle to sack the manager and probably won't read this

A long time ago Oliver Cromwell said to The House Of Commons:

'For all the good you have done, in the name of God go!'

31 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have remained a strong supporter of Cotterill primarily on the basis that at no point have we been consistently poor. Generally a bad result has been followed by a good one - most recently Wolves after Fulham. Even after Rotherham I felt that performance was the exception not the rule, having come off the back of a three game unbeaten run.

However today I feel I've reached a tipping point. We've been poor for two games in a row and scored only 4 goals in 8 games. It feels like the pattern of our season is now becoming entrenched, rather than something I previously felt we would turn around with relative ease.

Huddersfield is a huge game. If we were to lose it, I would be tempted to make a change of manager. But the other problem is I am yet to be convinced of any candidate out there who I would be confident would do a better job.

The other thing I would say is that to give Cotterill more time because we somehow "owe him" that after last season could be a suicidal attitude. He did not win us promotion out of the goodness of his heart, he was paid handsomely to do a job and did it well. It has no bearing on the here and now.

Pretty much where I'm at too. I do think next week could be the key, especially with the window looming. What we absolutely musn't do, as we did with McInness, is let him sign players and then sack him thus giving any replacement no time to do anything.

The last paragraph is especially true. And remember when he was bookies favourite for the Leicester job during the summer. It was more than likely just bookie talk and there was never anything in it, but if it was true then let's not kid ourselves that he wouldn't have crawled on his hands and knees to take that job if it had been offered to him. Whilst last season entitles him to more goodwill than would normally be afforded, it shouldn't mean that he's immune from the sack because of it.

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Pretty much where I'm at too. I do think next week could be the key, especially with the window looming. What we absolutely musn't do, as we did with McInness, is let him sign players and then sack him thus giving any replacement no time to do anything.

The last paragraph is especially true. And remember when he was bookies favourite for the Leicester job during the summer. It was more than likely just bookie talk and there was never anything in it, but if it was true then let's not kid ourselves that he wouldn't have crawled on his hands and knees to take that job if it had been offered to him. Whilst last season entitles him to more goodwill than would normally be afforded, it shouldn't mean that he's immune from the sack because of it.

Seems like that was when it began to go wrong. No signings whilst he thought he was in with a shout.

For me at half time it was pretty even, and although we had zero chances to score we were good defensively, but the Baker sending off (I thought he was lucky not to get a red in the first half to be honest and the third challenge was a booking all day long) changed the game, we were doomed after that because we never looked like scoring with 11 men (although Ironically we had more chances after they scored).  

I thought Freeman and JK looked very low on confidence and were poor today, I think it's time to rest both.  I don't know if SC needs to go yet but it's not looking good at the moment, they seem to have lost confidence and this is affecting our play.  I think 352 works with a confidence team but when you are not confident the wingbacks don't push on and nothing happens.

I though Blackburn were very poor as well although they certainly had the edge and deserved the win.

I'm not sure the players we have are quite up to the level at this stage - but I'm also not actually sure, given he seemed as frustrated as us over the summer, that's entirely Steve Cotterill's fault.

I'd want Keith Burt to be answering some pretty tough questions right now, given player recruitment is his domain. He seems to have escaped a decent dose of criticism.

Anyhow, personally I'd give them both January to try to rectify it. They did such a fabulous job in 2014-15 that I still reckon they could do it again.

North End fan in peace here. Amazed you're struggling so much - really thought you were the best team at L1 level for many years and would make an impact in Championship. Can't really give definitive view one way or tother on SC, other than to say there are a minority of nob heads at Deepdale who want Grayson out. Vast majority - esp those of us who travel away - back him to the hilt. Main thing is team spirit, players still with him and I fear, albeit as an outsider, that your team will break up if he goes. Don't underestimate team spirit built up ladt season for your lads. Would love us both to stay up as ur a proper club and would prefer to see the franchise, Bolton and Rotherham drop. You should really have beaten us at Deepdale and I still think you'll be ok if you keep your nerve with Cotterill. Changing manager would be a massive risk for BCFC and North End. I reckon you'll stay up this year and build on that next season. That's our plan anyway :) Despite saying all this, I have to agree that SC doesn't help himself with his, errr, unfortunate personality traits. Good luck boys - looking forward to another trip to Bristol next season, hopefully in Champ :) 

Sentiment in football generally means failure, especially when it comes down to managing.

The mandi wonders last year assembling a squad made up of the lower leagues starlets and forging them into a largely undefeatable outfit.

I won't go into the details of what so far had been a disastrousseason, I think that's obvious enough.

My one bigfear is SL hasn't learned his loyalty ala Gj, coupled with the possible promotion of the rugby club, is our relegation/rigmarole that inportant?  (just putting it out there).

My personal opinion.is get someone experienced in, a man respected, successful and with a bit of pull, a man who can get the likes of proven players at this level into the club.

I'm notbothered if he's initially unpopular as long as he can turn thus relegation bound squad around and with.it bring in some new blood and get rid of some of this rotten wood.

He's probably out of our league and would divide opinion.but hrs a winner, I'm talking about NightPearson, however there's plenty more out there than could do.a better.job than Sc, unfortunately may I add.

In reality though I think Bugger all will happen and praying is our best bet!

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

You can't be serious?? Most blatant sending off for Baker I've seen in years. Should've had his second yellow at the end of the first half.  

Their pen was stonewall as well. Going to ground with two feet off the floor was incredibly poor from Flint, none of the players appealed which tells you everything. 

Not cheated at all today, just extremely extremely poor. Did we even have a shot??

You must have been in the bar for Bobby's effort which required a full stretch save. 

I wasn't near enough to comment on the sending off, but that should have been a penalty to us in the first half. Since when did anyone dive by throwing themselves 4ft backwards?

Archived