IGNORED

FA CUP 3rd round Tomorrow

brad blit

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought it was  Xmas / New Year time ?

May have been Boxing Day 

No, my recollection (and I am sure we are talking about the same game, just prior to another 'backs to the wall game' the magnificent draw away to Sunderland) is that it was even later than February as 22A says above.

I can still recall the traffic jam trying to leave the M5 slip road and what seemed like thousands p*ssing on the hard shoulder. 

Fantastic night out - almost (but not quite;)) on a par with Coventry a few years later.

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

No, my recollection (and I am sure we are talking about the same game, just prior to another 'backs to the wall game' the magnificent draw away to Sunderland) is that it was even later than February as 22A says above.

I can still recall the traffic jam trying to leave the M5 slip road and what seemed like thousands p*ssing on the hard shoulder. 

Fantastic night out - almost (but not quite;)) on a par with Coventry a few years later.

Yep, we beat West Brom away in March 1976 and drew away at Sunderland in the same month.

Then the backs to the wall Xmas game at The Hawthorns (to which BobBobSuperBob and BlazeyRobins refer) was 27 Dec 1993.

Funnily enough we also drew away at Sunderland not long after that one - in Feb 1994.

(And another 'funnily enough' fact is that we also played West Brom away on 27 Dec 1976.)

18 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Let`s not forget that Grimsby are non-league (even though most of us probably think of them as a league club) and we must maintain our proud record of never losing to the lower orders. I for one wouldn`t fancy us beating them up there on a cold January Monday night.

I used to also believe this, it turns out Aldershot were non-league when they knocked us out one year

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, we beat West Brom away in March 1976 and drew away at Sunderland in the same month.

Then the backs to the wall Xmas game at The Hawthorns (to which BobBobSuperBob and BlazeyRobins refer) was 27 Dec 1993.

Funnily enough we also drew away at Sunderland not long after that one - in Feb 1994.

(And another 'funnily enough' fact is that we also played West Brom away on 27 Dec 1976.)

You are both correct 

just managed to find it 17th March 76  it was

I was getting mixed up with the Dec 76 game in the snow, in Div One

3 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I used to also believe this, it turns out Aldershot were non-league when they knocked us out one year

I cant recall Aldershot ever beating us in the F A Cup. If I do recall correctly we had something like  3 replays against in the late 80's (remember those ties with endless replays) but pretty sure we ended up beating them and I'm also pretty sure there were a league team then :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Big C said:

I cant recall Aldershot ever beating us in the F A Cup. If I do recall correctly we had something like  3 replays against in the late 80's (remember those ties with endless replays) but pretty sure we ended up beating them and I'm also pretty sure there were a league team then :ph34r:

we must of been sick of them that season!

25 Oct 1988 Bristol City v Aldershot D 1-1 League Division Three
10 Dec 1988 Aldershot v Bristol City D 1-1 FA Cup
13 Dec 1988 Bristol City v Aldershot D 0-0 FA Cup
20 Dec 1988 Aldershot v Bristol City D 2-2 FA Cup
22 Dec 1988 Bristol City v Aldershot W 1-0 FA Cup
21 Feb 1989 Aldershot v Bristol City W 0-1 League Division Three

27 minutes ago, Big C said:

I cant recall Aldershot ever beating us in the F A Cup. If I do recall correctly we had something like we had 3 replays against in the late 80's (remember those ties with endless replays) but pretty sure we ended up beating them and I'm also pretty sure there were a league team then :ph34r:

Many apologies, I had the wrong team. Brentford beat us in 1905 when they were a non-league team.

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Like Gillingham last season :D. I just checked the FA Cup for that season and after all those games against Aldershot, we then went to Hartlepool and lost 1-0, so that was well worth it :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

Like Gillingham last season :D. I just checked the FA Cup for that season and after all those games against Aldershot, we then went to Hartlepool and lost 1-0, so that was well worth it :ph34r:

I loved the endless FA Cup replays, they should be brought back.

11 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Many apologies, I had the wrong team. Brentford beat us in 1905 when they were a non-league team.

A bit before my time but a quick check on Wikipedia and that is correct:D. Off course that Season we concentrated on the league and won the Second Division instead ;)

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You are both correct 

just managed to find it 17th March 76  it was

I was getting mixed up with the Dec 76 game in the snow, in Div One

Another thing that I recall from that Sunderland game, City flew up and were offering seats on their plane.

A few of us were tempted, but reality bit hard when we saw the price of the tickets.

4 hours ago, Super said:

Saw every bloody one of those !! That was Shuttys era

Liked Carl Shutt - and then we traded him in for SuperBob !!!

6 hours ago, Super said:

Was at every bloody one of those. One of the replays up there it was so foggy all the way back it took us 4.5 hours to get back to Taunton on the A303.

I think the fanzine at he time said something like `Carl Shutt`s goal to finally win the tie earned him the nickname `Zico` until we realised it meant we all had to go to Hartlepool whereupon it was changed to `stupid bastard`.

Steve Claridge played in all the games for Aldershot and I remember him being interviewed about it years later when replays went to just one and he was asked what it was like endlessly playing the same team. He said `by the end, no-one really cared who won, we all just wanted it to be over`

Archived