IGNORED

Once again does everyone want him out?

Shtanley

COTTS in Cotts out Cotts stop pissing about  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Apart from the last game...can someone tell me when we have been set up more defensively than last season.

As far as I can see, we play the same way as last season, but with maybe the like of Williams in Bryans place.

SC's quote doesn't make sense to me...

"We don't have goals throughout the team, so we have to sacrifice some of our attacking play in order not to let goals in.

"We knew last season that, if we let a goal in, we were liable to score two or three ourselves. But that is the adjustment you have to make when you get promoted and, pretty much, go with the same team."

We've conceded the most goals of any team in this league.

We've actually scored one less goal than Blackburn who are in 11th place.

If he knew it was going to be harder this season....why continue playing in such an offensive manner...especially with such a small squad.

The formation we play, is one that is hard, even with a big quality squad.... the newest and inexperienced of football coach's know this...so in my mind it's madness.

Imho...with the squad we have, we could easily have been lower mid table if we had played with a less offensive formation.

SC has totally brought this on himself imho.

If your plans go array...you change to suit your hand. You don't just continue in the same vein and hope for the best.

4 hours ago, ciderup said:

I don't think I said he wrote it but he seems happy to moan to the media when he should be talking to the powers that be at the football club to find a solution to the problem. I find articles like the one in the EP very defeatist and totally futile. Nobody else apart from SC has given those quotes to the paper WTGR.

For me, whilst I still hope Cotts can turn it around, the media interviews are the problem.  Right from the summer, when he was very clearly hinting he was dissatisfied with something behind the scenes to moody interviews in the first half of the season to publicly stating the players weren't good enough after Derby, I think it just creates bad feelings and my view is it was when he started giving irritable interviews to the media in the summer that the goodwill drained from the fans and we began to feel the doom and gloom of two years ago.

There's absolutely no denying Cotterill's talent as a manager and last seaon was the best I can remember as fan and I get that he's frustrated but it's a massively important part of management (no matter what the industry) that you

a) keep disagreements with senior people in the organisation behind closed doors
and
b) stand up for your staff when talking the wider world even if you're having sharp words with them behind the scenes. 

To do otherwise is unprofessional, creates discontent and potentially undermines both external and internal confidence in you.  As we've seen with Mourinho today, it doesn't matter how good a manager you are - as soon as you publicly put yourself on a collision course with the board or with the players then it becomes a long drawn out process to one inevitable outcome.  

57 minutes ago, spudski said:

Apart from the last game...can someone tell me when we have been set up more defensively than last season.

As far as I can see, we play the same way as last season, but with maybe the like of Williams in Bryans place.

SC's quote doesn't make sense to me...

"We don't have goals throughout the team, so we have to sacrifice some of our attacking play in order not to let goals in.

"We knew last season that, if we let a goal in, we were liable to score two or three ourselves. But that is the adjustment you have to make when you get promoted and, pretty much, go with the same team."

We've conceded the most goals of any team in this league.

We've actually scored one less goal than Blackburn who are in 11th place.

If he knew it was going to be harder this season....why continue playing in such an offensive manner...especially with such a small squad.

The formation we play, is one that is hard, even with a big quality squad.... the newest and inexperienced of football coach's know this...so in my mind it's madness.

Imho...with the squad we have, we could easily have been lower mid table if we had played with a less offensive formation.

SC has totally brought this on himself imho.

If your plans go array...you change to suit your hand. You don't just continue in the same vein and hope for the best.

What confuses me more than anything else is this paragraph:

"At any given time last season, we always had two strikers scoring goals. First it was Aaron Wilbraham and Kieran Agard, then it was Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Matt Smith. Then we had other people chipping in. Luke Ayling chipped in with a few, Derrick Williams scored some important goals and then there was Aden Flint. We don't have that this season, hence the players I chased during the summer."

He seems to be implying he was trying to sign strikers in the summer because players like Ayling, Williams and Flint haven't been able to chip in with goals this season.  Surely the timeline's a bit flawed?

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

"At any given time last season, we always had two strikers scoring goals. First it was Aaron Wilbraham and Kieran Agard, then it was Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Matt Smith. Then we had other people chipping in. Luke Ayling chipped in with a few, Derrick Williams scored some important goals and then there was Aden Flint. We don't have that this season, hence the players I chased during the summer."

He seems to be implying he was trying to sign strikers in the summer because players like Ayling, Williams and Flint haven't been able to chip in with goals this season.  Surely the timeline's a bit flawed?

Totally...

Here's a different look at it, possibly.

As the players we tried for and failed, were probably in some part chosen by the powers above SC. How about whatever happens in Jan (I hope to God we get some quality in), we give him until the new players(:fingerscrossed:) have had a little time to settle and then see how we stand. If we don't get new blood we may as well pull the plug and hope the 'new manager' syndrome kicks in.

For my five penneth, I'm not sure either way. I'm not convinced he is the right man to take us forward but he did get us here and deserves the window.

BTW

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Quite right old boy .Some of us have standards , not like the other ***** .

You've spelt ***** wrong ;)

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

He's saying he knew before the season started we didn't have 2 strikers capable of scoring regularly at this level, so it was vital we upgraded.

He also knew Flint, especially, could not be expected to achieve a similar tally against Championship defences, so even more reason to get quality strikers in because we weren't going to get a similar input from elsewhere in the team

Surely that's not confusing, if anything it's just stating the obvious.

6 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

I think someone has said it somewhere else in the thread: the post Derby and EP interviews are SC getting his excuses in.

Also, these interviews are very defeatist.  How can he rally the players when he looks almost suicidal?

He also came out with the statement 'we wouldn't have beaten Derby even with 12 men'.  Not very inspiring at all...

This was picked up by a lot of Social Media including MOTD, just makes us look bad

Plus if SOD had said this, this forum would've gone into meltdown ;)

Just now, ten minutes of rough said:

Hoovers or Cleaners? Cleaners is the generic term, Hoover is a brand.

Just for clarity...........;)

I stand corrected TMOR. Please take into account any other type of cleaner when reading my earlier comment. :whistle: There are others available. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

He also came out with the statement 'we wouldn't have beaten Derby even with 12 men'.  Not very inspiring at all...

This was picked up by a lot of Social Media including MOTD, just makes us look bad

Plus if SOD had said this, this forum would've gone into meltdown ;)

Given that he SC picked employed the wrong system, not to have an attacking threat, it was a pretty poor statement to blame the players, not that many managers do that before they actually implode they don't.

5 hours ago, Kibs said:

The trouble is the timing for me. Whatever their choice, they need to make it soon. If the club are sticking, then I'd like Lansdown to say so in his interview so that everybody, regardless of how you feel, can just get fully behind the team. Put all the Sack or Back stuff aside until the seasons over. It won't happen of course, and there definitely seems to be something not quite right between SL & SC (just my opinion). 

I'm still torn myself, I'd be happy for him to stay and be backed in January - But only if he and his team have identified some realistic targets that should have been sorted in the summer. 

It'll be far from ideal sacking him in January (Like we did McInnes) and giving a new guy little or no time to make changes.

Posted this earlier in the season. SL has been hacked off with Cotts since the summer, this is only second hand info mind you. But the person who told me has no reason to lie. For me Cotts has clearly lost confidence in his own ability, once that happens its a one way street I'm afraid.

8 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

I disagree . I think SC feels let down and hung out to dry by SL. He did not get backed in the summer and has been left to struggle with a bottom 3 budget. From todays SL comments he as much as admits he only wants league one players on upper end league one wages ... Makes you wonder if SC was 5 years too early for SL

At least you didn't refer to the poster as a 'clueless numbskull' 

Amongst a series of your eloquent, educated posts I should add

1 hour ago, Cider red said:

Posted this earlier in the season. SL has been hacked off with Cotts since the summer, this is only second hand info mind you. But the person who told me has no reason to lie. For me Cotts has clearly lost confidence in his own ability, once that happens its a one way street I'm afraid.

Trying to negotiate better contracts for the players?

33 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

I disagree . I think SC feels let down and hung out to dry by SL. He did not get backed in the summer and has been left to struggle with a bottom 3 budget. From todays SL comments he as much as admits he only wants league one players on upper end league one wages ... Makes you wonder if SC was 5 years too early for SL

9m players sounds like your being backed to me. 

5 minutes ago, Rob k said:

9m players sounds like your being backed to me. 

What ????? When you want to pay a 9 million pound player 10 k a week !!!!!!!  I wonder why he signed for burnley ? ... Oh yeah .. It was the 20 k wages and bonuses !!!! .... Begs the question why bid 9 mill ??? Cause your money has no chance of leaving your bank account .. That's why 

2 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Not without paying a relative salary Rob. It makes the bid a bit of a stunt if you can only offer £10K a week when the player knows he can get £alotmore elsewhere.

To me it was an act of desperation all round, the failiure of the summers work is down to Burt and SC. 

SC must have known the wages these guys wanted, when they stated they wanted more than our budget allowed we should have moved on to the contingency, unfortunately there wasn't one. 

As far as I'm aware we're under FFP rules anyway so it's not just as easy as saying 'open your wallet'

3 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

What ????? When you want to pay a 9 million pound player 10 k a week !!!!!!!  I wonder why he signed for burnley ? ... Oh yeah .. It was the 20 k wages and bonuses !!!! .... Begs the question why bid 9 mill ??? Cause your money has no chance of leaving your bank account .. That's why 

And SC wouldn't have known this is the wage he wanted? Football managers need to understand what a budget means or was SC just trying to play hardball and it backfired on him?

Archived